• 07-31-2009
    spanqdoggie
    4 Attachment(s)
    The Woodbury 64 degree wedge
    Gentlemen,

The 64 degree wedge is the wave of the future. I have had the Woodbury 64 degree wedge in my bag for years...

So I pull up to the 18th hole of Harding Park a week ago, in San Francisco, and I hit a 6 iron towards the green, 13 yards short on the downslope...

Tourists watching...
    Family members watching...
    Random observers watching...

I pull out the Woodbury, and a hush falls over my audience. They don't recognize the club I pulled out. Am I going to use a 9 iron, maybe a gay bump and run up the slope with a 4 iron? Oh hell no *****es!

No my friends; I hit a full swing on the bastard and the ball goes so high in the air a child cried out, "where did it go?" as the ball drops 3 feet from the pin, a few seconds later...

I looked like a freaking pro (John Daly) swinging that Woodbury, and I broke 92, as a result of it.

The Woodbury 64 degree will kick your ass, gentlemen, all day... I am the golfer that you watch hit the bastard 90 feet high, from 13 yards away to 3 feet. All day, son! All day...

Bow down to your master.

To support my personal experience, an article for your perusal: [url]http://www.golf.com/golf/equipment/article/0,28136,1687368,00.html[/url]

Here are some photos of this mammoth golf club:
  • 08-01-2009
    ProStatus
    Who makes the woodbury 64, is it an OEM brand , is it rusty. does it spin real good..............By the way ...Harding Park used to be my home track back in 2005. ...............I think any and anybody who plays golf should play the 18th hole at Harding Park, Its very cool how the 18th green is backed by the club house where people can watch from the windows of the bar. .............I had the chance to watch JD and TW hit 340 yd bombs off the tee to carry the deep drop off that guards the the whole left side of the hole...........This years Presidents cup is also being played there aswell.
  • 08-01-2009
    dorkman53
    Congratulations. Even poorly chosen shots with an unfavorable risk/reward ratio occasionally work, encouraging people to try them again.........
    That's one great and highly creative sole grind on the wedge.......at least I think I saw the grind through the dirt and grass stains. It is so flat, it looks like you could Squeegee a foggy window with it......if you didn't mind leaving some grass and dirt behind on the surface.
    Broken 90 yet?

I play a 63 degree wedge, but I get my best results hitting it for 1/2, 3/4, and full swing approach shots. I get more consistent "30 yard and closer in" touch shot results with my 58 degree with the same sole grind; fewer chunked and bladed shots vs. the 63.
  • 08-01-2009
    dorkman53
    By the way, please provide us a link to the site of the prestigious Woodbury Golf company. I'm sure many others would like to buy one of these outstanding clubs after your compelling testimony.

Seriously, did you find that thing at a garage sale in Oakland?
  • 08-01-2009
    edgey
    [QUOTE=dorkman53]By the way, please provide us a link to the site of the prestigious Woodbury Golf company. I'm sure many others would like to buy one of these outstanding clubs after your compelling testimony.

Seriously, did you find that thing at a garage sale in Oakland?[/QUOTE]

I thought you were dead Dorkman

Edgey
  • 08-01-2009
    oldplayer
    Dorkman. It must be very gratifying to actually know your are conversing with Spank. Nearly every wacky or even slightly strange post by a newbie was postulated by you to be his work. At least now there is no guessing.
    Athough it was vaugely interesting to read about Spanks apparent highly organised list of aliases, which seems to back up your assertions.
  • 08-01-2009
    dorkman53
    [QUOTE=oldplayer]Dorkman. It must be very gratifying to actually know your are conversing with Spank. Nearly every wacky or even slightly strange post by a newbie was postulated by you to be his work. At least now there is no guessing.
    Athough it was vaugely interesting to read about Spanks apparent highly organised list of aliases, which seems to back up your assertions.[/QUOTE]
    My "Spidey sense" just responds with particular threads started by newbies that follow certain themes. Call it pattern recognition, paranoia, woman's intuition, or just simple ESP, but his newbie threads are just odd and not credible in particular characteristics......they just don't ring true. That's all I care to say.
  • 08-01-2009
    dorkman53
    [QUOTE=edgey]I thought you were dead Dorkman

Edgey[/QUOTE]
    I was, but my life insurance company exhumed my body and put me on a ventilator. Anything to avoid having to pay out the death benefit to my grieving and now homeless widow.
  • 08-01-2009
    spanqdoggie
    [QUOTE=ProStatus]Who makes the woodbury 64, is it an OEM brand , is it rusty. does it spin real good..............By the way ...Harding Park used to be my home track back in 2005. ...............I think any and anybody who plays golf should play the 18th hole at Harding Park, Its very cool how the 18th green is backed by the club house where people can watch from the windows of the bar. .............I had the chance to watch JD and TW hit 340 yd bombs off the tee to carry the deep drop off that guards the the whole left side of the hole...........This years Presidents cup is also being played there aswell.[/QUOTE]

Status, true story...

You know how there are reeds in the gap, off the lake, when you tee off on the 18th hole? Well, one time there was some crazy dude in camouflage hiding out in the reeds. We were walking down the 'ravine' and some dude moves hiding in camo.

I almost kicked his ass, but I had a game to finish. Maybe he was hunting for lost golf balls, but he looked like a a Marine on the wrong battlefield; poor guy looked like it was serious business. This guy disappeared in the reeds, after this, and I had just hit a 270 yard drive uphill, so I was not stopping.

True story. Yes, sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.
  • 08-01-2009
    spanqdoggie
    [QUOTE=dorkman53]My "Spidey sense" just responds with particular threads started by newbies that follow certain themes. Call it pattern recognition, paranoia, woman's intuition, or just simple ESP, but his newbie threads are just odd and not credible in particular characteristics......they just don't ring true. That's all I care to say.[/QUOTE]

Dorkman, sorry, you are wrong.

Yes, I have had many, many aliases in the past, but I left for a year dude. I have not been here for a year, at all. Truth... Ask the kid or pingman.

Back when I was the moderator of this forum with Francois, I would get all paranoid and sh!t... Then I realized I wasn't even getting paid for all my work, so I said forget it... Not doing nothing for free...

I still ride with Francois (Francis Cebedo) every now and then... We both loved the Tour de France this year.

Maybe when there is a moderation union formed, I might consider moderating, but I don't work for free for internet companies making money, when I am not making anything.

Therefore I decline any offer to moderate. Francois loves me, and we have a great personal relationship, but internet moderators are not to be paid, but used and utilized to serve their purposes...

That is the way the game works...

Kinda like this here: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UGC2nLnaes[/url]
  • 08-02-2009
    Not a hacker
    I love going for the hero shot when a big crowd is watching. For some reason the bigger occassion helps me focus and I always pull off the shot. And there is no bigger hero shot than the full on swing out of your shoes with a lob wedge from 10 yards off the green. I love the oohs and ahhs as I open up the face and just swing as hard as I can, and the ball climbs sraight up off the face and just goes up forever, to drop softly next to the pin. I must admit it's a shot you don't see as much, and I don't play as much, as you did back in the day.
  • 08-02-2009
    dorkman53
    [QUOTE=spanqdoggie]Dorkman, sorry, you are wrong.

Yes, I have had many, many aliases in the past, but I left for a year dude. I have not been here for a year, at all. Truth... Ask the kid or pingman.

Back when I was the moderator of this forum with Francois, I would get all paranoid and sh!t... Then I realized I wasn't even getting paid for all my work, so I said forget it... Not doing nothing for free...

I still ride with Francois (Francis Cebedo) every now and then... We both loved the Tour de France this year.

Maybe when there is a moderation union formed, I might consider moderating, but I don't work for free for internet companies making money, when I am not making anything.

Therefore I decline any offer to moderate. Francois loves me, and we have a great personal relationship, but internet moderators are not to be paid, but used and utilized to serve their purposes...

That is the way the game works...

Kinda like this here: [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UGC2nLnaes[/url][/QUOTE]

Well, that's good to know, coming from someone who always tells the truth.....
    Spank, you're like the kid who is always in trouble at school. He gets blamed for what he does, and for a lot of stuff he doesn't do. Since your continual cloak and dagger ways resulted in your credibility being questioned continually, and since you have had countless aliases, a newbie who sounds odd will always be "Spank until proven otherwise," at least in my book.
    Frankly, I am bored with the whole "who is that under the mask" game. I'd prefer that you are out in the open. I thought it was more than a bit of an overreaction to ban you because of the "Brian Keenan" affair; I thought that was really pretty funny, and no one got hurt. My wife is the only person on the face of the earth that knows that I use the "dorkman" moniker, and if she had somehow heard that "dorkman is dead," she would only have to look a cross the room to know that it must be a different dorkman. You know how confusing it is when you have a common name........you always do a double take when you hear on the news that "Dorkman won the lottery," "Dorkman is now the CEO of a large corporation," or "Dorkman guilty of genocide".........You realize it was a DIFFERENT Dorkman.......
  • 08-02-2009
    oldplayer
    It seems the Dorkman/Spank alias situation has reached some resolution.
    This is interesting as it shows that in the fullness of time most mysteries become known.
    It puts a different light on what has been (at least in my time here) a recurring and persistant GR theme.
    Now for the next incarnation.
    Will these two be best buds, be indifferent to each other, or be adversaries?
    Stand by for the next episode in your GR soap opera.
  • 08-02-2009
    dorkman53
    [QUOTE=oldplayer]It seems the Dorkman/Spank alias situation has reached some resolution.
    This is interesting as it shows that in the fullness of time most mysteries become known.
    It puts a different light on what has been (at least in my time here) a recurring and persistant GR theme.
    Now for the next incarnation.
    Will these two be best buds, be indifferent to each other, or be adversaries?
    Stand by for the next episode in your GR soap opera.[/QUOTE]
    Ah.....but you are assuming that Spank has spoken the truth now.....a great leap of faith, to be sure.
    I have no beef with Spank. He's probably not somebody I'd want to hang out with, but I can be me, and he can be.......well.......himselves..........
  • 08-03-2009
    Stormbringer
    Not much use for a 64 degree wedge
    Glad to hear you like it and it is helping your short game. For me, if I can't get it done with a 60 by opening it up then I require more practice.

Never played any courses in San Francisco other than the Olympic Club. I was born in Vallejeo and lived in Napa for many years. I have played Silverado a bunch and Kennedy in Napa too may times to list.

I worked out at SFO for a year and sure miss that weather. You can't beat the Bay Area weather IMHO.

Mike.
  • 08-03-2009
    Mr 3 Wiggle
    [QUOTE=Stormbringer]Glad to hear you like it and it is helping your short game. For me, if I can't get it done with a 60 by opening it up then I require more practice.

Never played any courses in San Francisco other than the Olympic Club. I was born in Vallejeo and lived in Napa for many years. I have played Silverado a bunch and Kennedy in Napa too may times to list.

I worked out at SFO for a year and sure miss that weather. You can't beat the Bay Area weather IMHO.

Mike.[/QUOTE]

I believe you just stepped in it.
  • 08-03-2009
    lorenzoinoc
    I'm guessing Woodbury is short for the woods is where I would bury this fu.cking club if I had a shovel. Basic rule of the universe: Nothing promoted by Shmelz is worth a sh.it.

By the way, until now, I never realized Dorkman and Spank are the same guy.
  • 08-03-2009
    Home-slicer
    [QUOTE=lorenzoinoc]
    By the way, until now, I never realized Dorkman and Spank are the same guy.[/QUOTE]

I guess now is as good a time as any to tell you. Everyone on this forum is the same guy except you. Pretty good gag, eh?

Regards,
    HomeSpankmanicKiwiHackerBallsRSF360
  • 08-04-2009
    firetheft1
    Yeah the 64 degree wedge is a must have. If you don't have one, go pick one up. I also love the fact that I hit mine 100 yards exactly on a full swing. I can go to that yardage and hit it high and it stop right where it lands. I recently ordered a 52, 56, 60 degree wedge set new for $50 on ebay. I can't wait to play with those to help my short game even more.
  • 08-07-2009
    A V Twiss
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]I love going for the hero shot when a big crowd is watching. For some reason the bigger occassion helps me focus and I always pull off the shot. And there is no bigger hero shot than the full on swing out of your shoes with a lob wedge from 10 yards off the green. I love the oohs and ahhs as I open up the face and just swing as hard as I can, and the ball climbs sraight up off the face and just goes up forever, to drop softly next to the pin. I must admit it's a shot you don't see as much, and I don't play as much, as you did back in the day.[/QUOTE]

Sadly I'm not so lucky. I try to be a hero, end up swinging like a zero and looking a bit of a queero
    :blush2:
  • 08-07-2009
    The Purist
    I can't believe I missed this jewel of a post.

That flop shot was a defining moment, and when a defining moment comes along, you define the moment, or the moment defines you.
  • 01-18-2010
    spanqdoggie
    Yeah, I just had a really sweet moment last week, on a piss ant 90 yard par three on the 8th hole at Sharps park ($23 for 18 holes off the Pacific Ocean, with proof of San Francisco address)... problem is there are trees all over the place. [url]http://www.sharpparkgc.com/[/url]

I know good food, as a born and raised San Franciscan, and they have one of the greatest hamburgers around. I do not even think it is on the menu: [url]http://www.SharpParkgc.com/Restaurant/Menu/M4.aspx[/url]

But no golf course in Pacifica, would dare brag about their food, so close to San Francisco; the hamburger is good.

Do I digress? ... sorry.

So I hit my Snake Eyes 52 degree wedge off the tee, and the sucker flies high and perfect in the air... My partner says, "Oh, you are way over." After it lands 8 feet from the pin, I tell him it was not my pitching wedge; he does a half swing p wedge. That ball was in the air so long it felt like 10 seconds; you know how good that feels?

It is one of those shots that makes you come back to golf.

This stupid short hole is hard for everybody... I ended up missing the putt and parring it; shortly after, I triple bogied the short par 5 on the next hole.

I just love having those wedges in the bag; a nice high wedge shot feels better than a drive in my opinion. I will break 90. First I gotta break 100 again...