• 12-20-2004
    rsr72
    Cleveland Launcher 400 or 460?
    Anyone have positive or negative results with this club? What shafts do you use with it? Thanks.
  • 12-20-2004
    buddha33
    I've played the 330 with stock Fujikara shaft (R flex) and I've had mixed results. I found the 330cc face is plenty forgiving, but the stock shaft is whippy and not dependable. If you feel you need the 400 or 460 head, go for it, but like I said, the 330 was plenty forgiving.

To each his own. There are plenty of stores around who should have them to demo. Key word here is demo.
  • 12-20-2004
    dorkman53
    I agree with Buddha about the stock "Fuji" shafts. They are pretty soft, so they'll be long, but not always the easiest to control. They certainly aren't the aftermarket Fuji shafts.
    Most of the opinions on the Launcher driver clubheads are quite favorable. If the OEM shaft works in a demo, by all means use it. Otherwise, it isn't all that expensive to upgrade to an aftermarket shaft.
  • 12-20-2004
    rsr72
    Thanks
    I feel like I'm in between a regular and stiff flex. I keep searching - having used almost all major brands, Aldila, Grafalloy, Fujikura. The only longer club I'm somewaht consistent with is my 3 wood with a True Temper TX-90 Regular flex. 42.5 inches. What about using a lighter weight steel shaft in a larger headed driver?
  • 12-20-2004
    MAHALLEDAY
    I have hit both the 400 and the 460, both with the stock stiff fuji shaft. Both were very very good, I tended to lean more towards the 460 for soe reason or another probably a bit more forgiveing though it appeared as though I hit the ball a bit better wih the 400. Though I never realy trust those simulators. I haven't tried them with any other shafts but would like too, i am picking one of those two up in the spring and wanna make sure i Get a good shaft. But yeah definatly try them out, they have been the best drivers i have demoed in a long time.
  • 12-20-2004
    LBCGolf
    I've had the 400 in my bag for a long time. Came with the factory gold and reshafted it with the NV-75S about a year ago and haven't seriously looked at another driver since. I had the 460 for about 2 weeks on loan from a friend and had the NV-65S. Didn't notice any gain in length or fogiveness. You can tell it's bigger at address which was a little disconcerting.
  • 12-20-2004
    rsr72
    Thanks, The ratings on the review side of this site are extremely positive. Seem to be more favorable than TaylorMade, Titleist, Callaway, etc. The price on new 400's are great. I'm really not liking the 460 clubheads for some reason. Must be that I used the 365 983k for about a year. Currently using the 460 Ignite, but just not all that fond of it. Maybe the 400 head size will be about right.
  • 12-20-2004
    Scott K
    Tee it high and let it fly
    I used this same head in an earlier post about this club. I have a 9.5* 400 with the stock Fuji stiff, and it works fine for me--a penetrating, intermediate ball flight. I agree with you that the 460 head looked too big, and I wasn't thrilled with the sound that the ball made coming off of the face. The 400 feels and sounds solid to me. Very accurate club.

You will need the long tees.
  • 12-20-2004
    youngun5
    although i love the heck out of my burner 420 I've given the launcher some thought, mainly the 400 because i really don't want anything bigger than 420, my playing partner from saturday said they were hard to hit, and for someone as good as he was to say it was hard to hit it took me back a bit.

any way, if you might be looking to save a buck or two, and since you said you were having fairway wood problems, many retailers have a deal going on now where you buy A driver, and a fairway wood, get another fairway wood free.

if i had the money , i'd do it, but i'm not old enough for a job right now
  • 12-20-2004
    LBCGolf
    [QUOTE=youngun5]my playing partner from saturday said they were hard to hit, and for someone as good as he was to say it was hard to hit it took me back a bit.[/QUOTE]

Either he's not that good or it's a club particularly ill fitting for his swing.

I'm not that good but I hit it very well.
  • 12-20-2004
    kirksey74
    More forgiving - 460
    The best driver to me -400
    it's easier to control because the smaller club head.

It's a good driver, but there are better.

....taylormade.....
  • 12-20-2004
    collegegolfer
    [QUOTE=kirksey74]More forgiving - 460
    The best driver to me -400
    it's easier to control because the smaller club head.
    .[/QUOTE]

Two years ago saying, "400 because it's easier to control a smaller clubhead" and people would've laughed. 400 used to be massive. Now it's "small." I love how things are relative and I love my Launcher 330, which you can now get for like $80. But, if you want forgiving, go for the 460. I've hit the 400 and 460 with a wide range of shafts, mostly in the X category, and definitely try different shafts. They do make a difference.