• 08-21-2012
    famousdavis
    1 Attachment(s)
    Wilson DF-Y irons. The ultimate technology?
    On a whim I decided to check out the goods at GG, hoping to check out several sets of recently-added used irons. Sure enough, they had 3 sets of used irons I hadn't seen before: Cobra Amp, Callaway Diablo forged and Wilson DF-Y. The Amp and Diablo were priced to high at $391 and $425 respectively.

However, once my gaze fell upon the Wilson DF-Y irons I slowly became intrigued. Here was an iron that seemed completely out of the norm in terms of shaft, head design and mojo.

This set is indeed perculiar. The shafts are a combination of steel and graphite, similar to what True Temper came out with many years ago but somewhat better looking. This is space age stuff people. The 3&4 are both hybrids, the 5 & 6 appear to be hollow and the rest are simply GI. What sets this set apart is the noticeable lack of offset on all of the irons. It was if I was handling clubs designed for a great ballstriker who's ego can handle GI clubs.

I'd be curious to find out if anyone has tried these fascinating irons. I hit the 7 iron in the simulator and I must admit it felt as though the clubhead was traveling just a little faster than normal and the feel was akin to graphite and steel being smashed together by an atom crusher (see Angels & Demons).

What is most titillating about this set is the price. $111 for a set of next to new Wilson DF-Y spaceage, lunar landing irons that are sure to turn a few heads at the golf course...and hopefully turn over a few bills in my direction.

Should I do it? Here's a link: [URL]http://www.golfnewsnow.ca/2009/10/01/wilson-d-fy-combo-features-half-and-half-shaft/[/URL]
  • 08-21-2012
    oldplayer
    Don't touch them.
  • 08-21-2012
    golfaholic
    I've wasted $100 in worse ways. The clubs aren't great.
  • 08-21-2012
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;279751]Don't touch them.[/QUOTE]

Unless he can flip them on Ebay for a 100% net profit.
  • 08-22-2012
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=mongrel;279764]Unless he can flip them on Ebay for a 100% net profit.[/QUOTE]

Unlikely. People don't seem to go for Wilson and those that do won't pay much. There is a reason FD's deal is going cheap.
  • 08-22-2012
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;279802]Unlikely. People don't seem to go for Wilson and those that do won't pay much. There is a reason FD's deal is going cheap.[/QUOTE]

Very true. I don't think I could flip them for a profit that would make it worth my time. Wilson has the worst resale of any of the major club line manufacturers. Adams is pretty bad as well.