• 05-05-2010
    capoeta
    Has anyone ever heard of "Honeycomb USA" clubs?
    My elderly neighbor has asked me to sell his 'vintage" golf club set for him on ebay.

He has Ben Hogan wedges and "Honeycomb" Irons from 2 - P. What the heck are these things?

Are they worth anything?

Has anyone heard of them?
  • 05-06-2010
    mongrel
    Those are great sticks and you should have no problem selling them although you may want to put a disclaimer on your listing that should go something like this: [I]"[I]Warning! Although the use of these clubs has proven safe in almost all locations, their use within five miles of known or suspected bear habitats may attract mauling danger for the user. Be sure to consult with the course management and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service prior to use."[/I][/I]
  • 05-06-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=capoeta]My elderly neighbor has asked me to sell his 'vintage" golf club set for him on ebay.

He has Ben Hogan wedges and "Honeycomb" Irons from 2 - P. What the heck are these things?

Are they worth anything?

Has anyone heard of them?[/quote]

Honeycomb were the first irons made with bee hive design. The manufacturer (who we can't disclose) studied the behavioral patterns of bees for years in order to create these irons. Of course, back then we didn't have the benefit of computer aided design so it all had to be done by hand. Manufacturing was halted when management discovered that the bees took 2 months to make one set of clubs.
  • 05-06-2010
    mongrel
    They also had a brief run of popularity with young women in the '60's who often spent more at their hair salons than they did on greens fees.
  • 05-06-2010
    Jeff_h
    I believe Robert Bettinardi also used them as the impetus to create the CNC milling machine so that he could make his putters.
  • 05-06-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=mongrel]They also had a brief run of popularity with young women in the '60's who often spent more at their hair salons than they did on greens fees.[/quote]

Another complication stemmed from the fact that the irons made a buzzing noise during the swing. Often times, the rest of your foursome would mistake this sound for killer bees and would be jumping up and down swatting at their arms and legs.
  • 05-06-2010
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]Another complication stemmed from the fact that the irons made a buzzing noise during the swing. Often times, the rest of your foursome would mistake this sound for killer bees and would be jumping up and down swatting at their arms and legs.[/QUOTE]

What was worse was that, despite the type and flex of shaft, miss-hits would really STING.
  • 05-06-2010
    Horseballs
    Honeycomb irons are OK, but Fruity Pebbles clubs are superior in every way. Plus the milk is delicious.
  • 05-06-2010
    Home-slicer
    If I'm not mistaken, those irons are forged by a group of underage laborers in an undisclosed location known as the "Honeycomb Hideout."
  • 05-06-2010
    capoeta
    Thanks for the laughs...

Pretty funny.. Maybe I'll give him $25 and donate them to charity...

I'm tempted to go to range and hit these things, but may not for fear of personal injury to self or others...
  • 05-06-2010
    Riverologist
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]Honeycomb irons are OK, but Fruity Pebbles clubs are superior in every way. Plus the milk is delicious.[/QUOTE]

ain't that the truth!
  • 05-06-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Horseballs]Honeycomb irons are OK, but Fruity Pebbles clubs are superior in every way. Plus the milk is delicious.[/quote]

I used to play Lucky Charms clubs but as I got older I switched to Shredded Wheat clubs. For those crazy days I have a backup set of Coco Puffs hybrid/irons.
  • 05-06-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]I used to play Lucky Charms clubs but as I got older I switched to Shredded Wheat clubs. For those crazy days I have a backup set of Coco Puffs hybrid/irons.[/QUOTE]
    Funny enough, I just played Lucky Charms clubs yesterday morning. I played a Scrambled Eggs/Toast hybrid set this morning.
  • 05-06-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Horseballs]Funny enough, I just played Lucky Charms clubs yesterday morning. I played a Scrambled Eggs/Toast hybrid set this morning.[/quote]

You know, I once tried a set of generic brand Lucky Charms clubs and they didn't perform as well. I bought them at Costco and they were called Kirkland.
  • 05-06-2010
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]You know, I once tried a set of generic brand Lucky Charms clubs and they didn't perform as well. I bought them at Costco and they were called Kirkland.[/QUOTE]

They turn out quite well on the grill especially with waterfowl or seafood so long as you get the propane from BP.
  • 05-06-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=mongrel]They turn out quite well on the grill especially with waterfowl or seafood so long as you get the propane from BP.[/quote]

There's nothing better than barbecued Marlin that's been marinated in light-sweet crude oil.
  • 05-06-2010
    mongrel
    There's a tasty plate of Blue Heron au Huile Brut awaiting at Chez Katrina's that might argue with you on that.
  • 05-09-2010
    TD007
    Honeycomb clubs
    I don't know what they are worth. I had a set given to me when I was young and loved them. They ended up ggetting destroyed in a car accident. For sentimental reasons I would make an offer of $100.
  • 05-10-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=TD007]I don't know what they are worth. I had a set given to me when I was young and loved them. They ended up ggetting destroyed in a car accident. For sentimental reasons I would make an offer of $100.[/quote]

I'll offer $105. Do you have a Buy it Now price? Shipping included?
  • 05-10-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=lorenzoinoc]Italians can be very innovative.[/quote]

Have you seen the new Bettinardi putters? Awesome. They are all black with a satin finish to them. Very classy looking.
  • 05-10-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=Jeff_h]I believe Robert Bettinardi also used them as the impetus to create the CNC milling machine so that he could make his putters.[/QUOTE]

Italians can be very innovative.

I think my stitches came loose from my reading this thread and LOLing.
  • 05-10-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]Have you seen the new Bettinardi putters? Awesome. They are all black with a satin finish to them. Very classy looking.[/QUOTE]

They do look nice. Just like a guinea to have the first letter of his last name dominate the cosmetics of something. BTW, for $365 it should come with a year's supply of pizza.
  • 05-10-2010
    Jeff_h
    [quote=famousdavis]Have you seen the new Bettinardi putters? Awesome. They are all black with a satin finish to them. Very classy looking.[/quote]

In case anybody missed it......

[SIZE=4]Closeout[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MZP10/Mizuno/Bettinardi_Black_Carbon_Putter"]http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MZP10/Mizuno/Bettinardi_Black_Carbon_Putter[/URL]

I picked up my BC1 when I saw this.
  • 05-10-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Jeff_h]In case anybody missed it......

[SIZE=4]Closeout[/SIZE]

[URL="http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MZP10/Mizuno/Bettinardi_Black_Carbon_Putter"]http://www.golfsmith.com/products/MZP10/Mizuno/Bettinardi_Black_Carbon_Putter[/URL]

I picked up my BC1 when I saw this.[/quote]

That's the older model. The one I saw was the BB1. Much classier looking.