The FD Come to Jesus Poll

Printable View

• 01-27-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    The FD Come to Jesus Poll
    He's the self-proclaimed best ball striker ever. If he shows against Shoes, what will he need to shoot to be considered worthy of his claims? Based on my perspective, it's a 65. Failure to break 70 would be totally unacceptable.

I'll do the poll based on what he should have to shoot to back up his claims, and then if you post mention what would be unacceptable.
  • 01-27-2010
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=lorenzoinoc]He's the self-proclaimed best ball striker ever. If he shows against Shoes, what will he need to shoot to be considered worthy of his claims? Based on my perspective, it's a 65. Failure to break 70 would be totally unacceptable.

I'll do the poll based on what he should have to shoot to back up his claims, and then if you post mention what would be unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

Actually, since I'm the self-proclaimed best ball striker ever it stands to reason that the evaluation should be based on my ball striking. Sometimes people like the original poster need some guidance. Not everyone has the quick intellect that I do.
  • 01-27-2010
    Horseballs
    I concur that final score is not indicative of ballstriking. I believe FD will have to beat the averages in both GIR and fairways from the reigning GR ballstriking legend, Larryrsf. It has been well documented that Larry hits 90% GIR and 99% of the fairways. 99% of amateurs will back up this stat.
  • 01-27-2010
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]I concur that final score is not indicative of ballstriking. I believe FD will have to beat the averages in both GIR and fairways from the reigning GR ballstriking legend, Larryrsf. It has been well documented that Larry hits 90% GIR and 99% of the fairways. 99% of amateurs will back up this stat.[/QUOTE]

I would say that a great ballstriking round would be 85% of fairways hit (12 out of 14) and 83% GIR.
  • 01-27-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]I would say that a great ballstriking round would be 85% of fairways hit (12 out of 14) and 83% GIR.[/QUOTE]
    And Larry would call you a hacker. 99% fairways, 90% greens. That is the benchmark of excellence. If you start calling yourself the second best ballstriker on the planet, I will allow your pathetic numbers.
  • 01-27-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    I get the point about ballstriking, but there is correlation. Account for FD being a moderate spaz around the greens and then opine.

HB - Sounds like you'll need to check with Larry on this.
  • 01-27-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]Actually, since I'm the self-proclaimed best ball striker ever it stands to reason that the evaluation should be based on my ball striking. Sometimes people like the original poster need some guidance. Not everyone has the quick intellect that I do.[/QUOTE]

The only measure we'll have is score. Welcome to the real world.

But don't let me get in the way of your massive backpeddling. It would be simpler if you just posted your complete confession.
  • 01-27-2010
    noshuz
    [quote=Horseballs]And Larry would call you a hacker. 99% fairways, 90% greens. That is the benchmark of excellence. If you start calling yourself the second best ballstriker on the planet, I will allow your pathetic numbers.[/quote]

I can't believe Lairee would bring up numbers like that. The pros aren't all doing that so what makes him think we will believe he is????
  • 01-27-2010
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]And Larry would call you a hacker. 99% fairways, 90% greens. That is the benchmark of excellence. If you start calling yourself the second best ballstriker on the planet, I will allow your pathetic numbers.[/QUOTE]

How can you hit 99% of fairways? You would have to play a course with 100 par 4's and 5's and miss one.
  • 01-27-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=lorenzoinoc]I get the point about ballstriking, but there is correlation. Account for FD being a moderate spaz around the greens and then opine.

HB - Sounds like you'll need to check with Larry on this.[/QUOTE]
    Two of Larry's high school classmates (Hogan and Varden) also believed that the short game was overrated and that putting should only count as half a stroke.
    When FD starts talking about dropping bombs from anywhere on the green or his surgical chipping technique, I'll hold him to a score. At worst he should be shooting no worse than 75. Even if he 3 putts everything outside of 10 feet, the second best ballstriker on the planet will have 4 or 5 kick in birdies.
  • 01-27-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=oldplayer]How can you hit 99% of fairways? You would have to play a course with 100 par 4's and 5's and miss one.[/QUOTE]
    It's what Larry averages. More often than not, he hits 100% of the fairways. You do not want to be around Larry when he misses a fairway. If you think he is a hateful bigot on GR, you don't want to hear him in person. My god, it's not their fault they were born in Mexico.
  • 01-27-2010
    The Purist
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]Two of Larry's high school classmates (Hogan and Varden) also believed that the short game was overrated and that putting should only count as half a stroke.
    When FD starts talking about dropping bombs from anywhere on the green or his surgical chipping technique, I'll hold him to a score. At worst he should be shooting no worse than 75. Even if he 3 putts everything outside of 10 feet, the second best ballstriker on the planet will have 4 or 5 kick in birdies.[/QUOTE]

Dave Pelz would agree with you HB (ZO will like this one). Pelz believes 80% of a golfers handicap is determined by how well he plays from 100 yrds and in. The best ball striker he ever recorded was Lee Trevino. Trevino only missed his target by an average of 5% ....So if Trevino was hitting a 150yrd approach he could expect to be putting from an average of 22.5'. The worst ballstriker Pelz recorded on tour only missed by 9%, and could expect to be putting from 40'. Statistically, a tour player will 2 putt a 20' putt almost the exact same amount he will two putt from 40'.

I would also argue that its possible to be good in all phases of the game and still shoot poorly if you lack course management....Even if FD only misses his target by 5%, but shoots at sucker pins and goes for ill-advised forced carries he could still blow up from time to time like Micktits.
  • 01-27-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=The Purist]Dave Pelz would agree with you HB (ZO will like this one). Pelz believes 80% of a golfers handicap is determined by how well he plays from 100 yrds and in. The best ball striker he ever recorded was Lee Trevino. Trevino only missed his target by an average of 5% ....So if Trevino was hitting a 150yrd approach he could expect to be putting from an average of 22.5'. The worst ballstriker Pelz recorded on tour only missed by 9%, and could expect to be putting from 40'. Statistically, a tour player will 2 putt a 20' putt almost the exact same amount he will two putt from 40'.

I would also argue that its possible to be good in all phases of the game and still shoot poorly if you lack course management....Even if FD only misses his target by 5%, but shoots at sucker pins and goes for ill-advised forced carries he could still blow up from time to time like Micktits.[/QUOTE]
    Now I don't know what to think. Using GR logic, we've got two guys, one always right, the other always wrong, saying the exact same thing. This ballstriking exhibition match (noshuz v. FD) will decide a big issue on GR: if Larry is always right and Pelz is always wrong, who holds more weight when they both agree? It's like the chicken-egg thing, or Jesus v. Santa.
  • 01-27-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=The Purist]Dave Pelz would agree with you HB (ZO will like this one). Pelz believes 80% of a golfers handicap is determined by how well he plays from 100 yrds and in. The best ball striker he ever recorded was Lee Trevino. Trevino only missed his target by an average of 5% ....So if Trevino was hitting a 150yrd approach he could expect to be putting from an average of 22.5'. The worst ballstriker Pelz recorded on tour only missed by 9%, and could expect to be putting from 40'. Statistically, a tour player will 2 putt a 20' putt almost the exact same amount he will two putt from 40'.

I would also argue that its possible to be good in all phases of the game and still shoot poorly if you lack course management....Even if FD only misses his target by 5%, but shoots at sucker pins and goes for ill-advised forced carries he could still blow up from time to time like Micktits.[/QUOTE]

That was the only info of any value in Pelz' book.

FD made his own bed. You continuously blow about how great your are, you don't shoot over par.

It's not like I'm suggesting he be at Kim Jong Il's level. Although if FD doesn't blow up and shoot over par (choke or a fraud), that should be his next match.
  • 01-27-2010
    indacup
    I think making the cut-off line at 65 was very generous on your part!

Hell, FD claims that the PGA level is not challenging for him...so I would have raised the bar a bit.

But I will go with anything over 65 would be a laugh...as would be anything worse than one missed fairway, one missed GIR and any 3 putt.
  • 01-27-2010
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=indacup]I think making the cut-off line at 65 was very generous on your part!

Hell, FD claims that the PGA level is not challenging for him...so I would have raised the bar a bit.

But I will go with anything over 65 would be a laugh...as would be anything worse than one missed fairway, one missed GIR and any 3 putt.[/QUOTE]

You two girls should get yourself a room.
  • 01-27-2010
    indacup
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]You two girls should get yourself a room.[/QUOTE]

Typical, instead of stepping up to the plate and accepting the fact it's time to put up or shut up, you decide to insult others.:D

You're not going to show up, are you?:rolleyes:
  • 01-27-2010
    pingman360
    1 of two things are very likely to be going on... 1: FD is playing his other username (who is he playing i forget anyways... noshuz maybe??) or 2: FD will not show at the course...

i will make a prediction that if he does he will be a hack and no where near even scratch... also i want to see a video of sorts that documents the whole thing kinda like Dave was doing at one point... and if FD is as good as he says he is i would like to extend him a challenge... come over to NC and play me if you beat whoever youre playing....
  • 01-27-2010
    Not a hacker
    I thought Larry only hit 99% of the fairways 99% of the time. Not sure how many fairways he hits the other 1%. I'm getting confused.

P.S. TP, It seems Pelz and Larry have at least one thing in common. They both base their arguments around guys who played the game in the middle of last century. I wonder who would win ALL the money if Hogan, Trevino, Irwin and Pavin all played in the same event?
  • 01-27-2010
    Kiwi Player
    The Official Larryrsf GIR & Fairways Hit Stats
    Sorry to nitpick guys but I think that FD is the only guy that we expect to exaggerate the facts. So here are Larryrsf's Official Stats. Not quite the 99% stated above but still mighty impressive. A direct quote from GR's greatest ballstriker himself:

"I am working on improving my GIR percentage, currently at 93.7%, and also my fairways hit which is at 90.1%. That's how I dropped my handicap from 7.5 to 4.3." - Larryrsf.

Then again, this was several months ago prior to Larry discovering the latest 'Secret' of the golf swing. Maybe by now he [I][B][U]IS[/U][/B][/I] hitting 99% of Fairways & GIR?
  • 01-27-2010
    Not a hacker
    Sounds like Larry is one of the guys who is really gonna hurt with the new groove rules, as it seems he hit's 2.6% of his 93.7% of GIR from off the fairway. I don't even know how you could neasure that.
  • 01-27-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=Kiwi Player]Sorry to nitpick guys but I think that FD is the only guy that we expect to exaggerate the facts. So here are Larryrsf's Official Stats. Not quite the 99% stated above but still mighty impressive. A direct quote from GR's greatest ballstriker himself:

"I am working on improving my GIR percentage, currently at 93.7%, and also my fairways hit which is at 90.1%. That's how I dropped my handicap from 7.5 to 4.3." - Larryrsf.

Then again, this was several months ago prior to Larry discovering the latest 'Secret' of the golf swing. Maybe by now he [I][B][U]IS[/U][/B][/I] hitting 99% of Fairways & GIR?[/QUOTE]

We've seen his swing. If one's drives max out at 120 yds., it might be hard not to hit a fairway.

The other thing is, I thought we established that Larry's definition of GIR is a little different than most. To him it's getting to a green eventually. Apparently he's passing out or walking off the course 6.3% of the time.
  • 01-27-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=pingman360]1 of two things are very likely to be going on... 1: FD is playing his other username (who is he playing i forget anyways... noshuz maybe??) or 2: FD will not show at the course...

i will make a prediction that if he does he will be a hack and no where near even scratch... also i want to see a video of sorts that documents the whole thing kinda like Dave was doing at one point... and if FD is as good as he says he is i would like to extend him a challenge... come over to NC and play me if you beat whoever youre playing....[/QUOTE]

Great post, Ping. I suspect you won't be needing to entertain him in North Carolina. You anywhere near Greensboro? I'll be there in June and it might be kind of fun to tee it up together.
  • 01-27-2010
    groundhogday
    [QUOTE=pingman360]1 of two things are very likely to be going on... 1: FD is playing his other username (who is he playing i forget anyways... noshuz maybe??) or 2: FD will not show at the course...

i will make a prediction that if he does he will be a hack and no where near even scratch... also i want to see a video of sorts that documents the whole thing kinda like Dave was doing at one point... and if FD is as good as he says he is i would like to extend him a challenge... come over to NC and play me if you beat whoever youre playing....[/QUOTE]
    Ping are you near tabacco row
    GHD
  • 01-27-2010
    famousdavis

i will make a prediction that if he does he will be a hack and no where near even scratch... also i want to see a video of sorts that documents the whole thing kinda like Dave was doing at one point... and if FD is as good as he says he is i would like to extend him a challenge... come over to NC and play me if you beat whoever youre playing....[/QUOT

No, we are not the same person and yes I will show at the course. Now, if you think we're the same person then there's no way to prove anything. I can bring the Flip video and make a couple of good vids of the game so you know it's real.
  • 01-27-2010
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=indacup]Typical, instead of stepping up to the plate and accepting the fact it's time to put up or shut up, you decide to insult others.:D

You're not going to show up, are you?:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

WAAAAAAHHHH!!! Is indacup crying again? Relax. I'm going to show up and it's going to be a fun game. I'll even video tape some of it if Noshuz is ok with it. Sure, I might be embarassed but maybe not. If I'm on my game look out.
  • 01-28-2010
    edgey
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]Sounds like Larry is one of the guys who is really gonna hurt with the new groove rules, as it seems he hit's 2.6% of his 93.7% of GIR from off the fairway. [B]I don't even know how you could neasure that[/B].[/QUOTE]

In Liarrys case, as with all of his stats, using his imagination.

Edgey
  • 01-28-2010
    noshuz
    [quote=famousdavis]WAAAAAAHHHH!!! Is indacup crying again? Relax. I'm going to show up and it's going to be a fun game. [B] I'll even video tape some of it if Noshuz is ok with it[/B]. Sure, I might be embarassed but maybe not. If I'm on my game look out.[/quote]

I got no problem with that. I've posted my crappy swing so it's nothing they haven't seen before......:cool:
  • 01-28-2010
    Mizuno>Ping
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]WAAAAAAHHHH!!! Is indacup crying again? Relax. I'm going to show up and it's going to be a fun game. I'll even video tape some of it if Noshuz is ok with it. Sure, I might be embarassed but maybe not. If I'm on my game look out.[/QUOTE]

You'll never be on your game, when you post your swing video here, InfamousDavis.
  • 01-28-2010
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=Mizuno>Ping]You'll never be on your game, when you post your swing video here, InfamousDavis.[/QUOTE]

You just can't help but follow me around like a little puppy on this forum can you? Nice doggie.
  • 01-28-2010
    noshuz
    1 Attachment(s)
    [quote=famousdavis]You just can't help but follow me around like a little puppy on this forum can you? Nice doggie.[/quote]
    [ATTACH]2341[/ATTACH]...........
  • 01-28-2010
    pingman360
    [QUOTE=lorenzoinoc]Great post, Ping. I suspect you won't be needing to entertain him in North Carolina. You anywhere near Greensboro? I'll be there in June and it might be kind of fun to tee it up together.[/QUOTE]

i live in greensboro so yeah i'll be there... most likely at least i know i have a tournament or two sometime in june or july... but chances are i'll be here...

let me know if you wanna get a round in or something... Grandover is nice, and it's like 50 so price is good too... let me know...
  • 01-28-2010
    pingman360
    [QUOTE=groundhogday]Ping are you near tabacco row
    GHD[/QUOTE]

it's like an hour or so from me... so relatively close...
  • 01-28-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=pingman360]i live in greensboro so yeah i'll be there... most likely at least i know i have a tournament or two sometime in june or july... but chances are i'll be here...

let me know if you wanna get a round in or something... Grandover is nice, and it's like 50 so price is good too... let me know...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that'd be great. I'll get with you as the time approaches. I should be there 5 or 6 days.
  • 01-28-2010
    pingman360
    sounds good.. let me know...
  • 01-28-2010
    Larryrsf
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]I thought Larry only hit 99% of the fairways 99% of the time. Not sure how many fairways he hits the other 1%. I'm getting confused.

P.S. TP, It seems Pelz and Larry have at least one thing in common. They both base their arguments around guys who played the game in the middle of last century. I wonder who would win ALL the money if Hogan, Trevino, Irwin and Pavin all played in the same event?[/QUOTE]

This is fun for you guys??? I hope not. While you are sitting on your fat cans typing silly tripe into your computer, smart people are reading books, magazines, and newspapers, following the political situation, trying to get a new job, writing papers, preparing proposals, whatever-- but NOT wasting their lives doing trivia. Really, get a life. Every one of you is one day older today, your life is evaporating as we speak, so to speak.

Larry
  • 01-28-2010
    groundhogday
    [QUOTE=Larryrsf]This is fun for you guys??? I hope not. While you are sitting on your fat cans typing silly tripe into your computer, smart people are reading books, magazines, and newspapers, following the political situation, trying to get a new job, writing papers, preparing proposals, whatever-- but NOT wasting their lives doing trivia. Really, get a life. Every one of you is one day older today, your life is evaporating as we speak, so to speak.

Larry[/QUOTE]

Well Laurrie at least Spanks got your back. It could be worst.

GHD:D
  • 01-28-2010
    spanqdoggie
    [QUOTE=Larryrsf]This is fun for you guys??? I hope not. While you are sitting on your fat cans typing silly tripe into your computer, smart people are reading books, magazines, and newspapers, following the political situation, trying to get a new job, writing papers, preparing proposals, whatever-- but NOT wasting their lives doing trivia. Really, get a life. Every one of you is one day older today, your life is evaporating as we speak, so to speak.

Larry[/QUOTE]

Some of the wisest words ever written here on GR, seriously...

And these words come from a man of greatness, in life, who has lived long enough to know the truth of his words.

Thank you Larry!
  • 01-28-2010
    famousdavis

Larry[/QUOTE]

Um, isn't that exactly what you are doing? As far as fat.....every picture tells a story baby.
  • 01-30-2010
    Mizuno>Ping

Larry[/QUOTE]

You don't give a sh.it with what we type, so shut the fuuck up.
  • 01-30-2010
    Mizuno>Ping
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]You just can't help but follow me around like a little puppy on this forum can you? Nice doggie.[/QUOTE]

Why is it that everywhere I go on this forum you must follow ?
  • 01-31-2010
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=Larryrsf]This is fun for you guys??? I hope not. While you are sitting on your fat cans typing silly tripe into your computer, smart people are reading books, magazines, and newspapers, following the political situation, [B]trying to get a new job, writing papers, preparing proposals, whatever-- but NOT wasting their lives doing trivia[/B]. Really, get a life. Every one of you is one day older today, your life is evaporating as we speak, so to speak.

Larry[/QUOTE]
    As luck would have it Larry, I spent Friday preparing a proposal for the Director at work. I also got a phone call to arrange a time for an interview for a new job worth an extra 20k after I wrote an application a few weeks ago. So as you can see, some ofus can have some fun with you and still have what you would describe as a life.

Thanks for the positive reinforcement of my self worth Larry. It really means something coming form you.
  • 01-31-2010
    12sandwich

Larry[/QUOTE]
    Not all of us can be as smart as you, and such a great ballstriker.
  • 01-31-2010
    mentaloaf
    We need to find out what "GIR" means to Larry because it's obviously not Greens In Regulation....it must be "Greens in _____"
  • 01-31-2010
    jt1135
    GIR could stand for gays in rectum. As in, yesterday I nailed 95 percent GIR.
  • 01-31-2010
    noshuz
    [quote=mentaloaf]We need to find out what "GIR" means to Larry because it's obviously not Greens In Regulation....it must be "Greens in _____"[/quote]

Greens in Regularity (old man voice)....:cool:
  • 01-31-2010
    mentaloaf
    Grass in Rear....as in, thin, bladed shots to the grassy area past the green
  • 01-31-2010
    indacup
    [QUOTE=jt1135]GIR could stand for gays in rectum. As in, yesterday I nailed 95 percent GIR.[/QUOTE]

That was an incredibly disturbing comment...LOL
  • 02-02-2010
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=Mizuno>Ping]Why is it that everywhere I go on this forum you must follow ?[/QUOTE]

That was original
  • 02-02-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    I would just like to thank everyone for helping to really get out the votes for this poll. With currently 23 votes, that suggests approximately 6 members exercised their right(s) to vote. Please thank your aliases, as well.

It isn't easy to construct a poll that's competely fair, objective and will accurately capture GR opinion. The heavy voter turnout achieved tells me we've succeeded at doing that.

So congratulations to all of you. Well done.