• 02-01-2005
    josh21120
    Prolaunch 65 vs. Aldila NV 65
    Seeking feedback on any performance differences in these two shafts. My driver swing speed is only in the mid-80s with my usual smooth, and long, swing. Using a stock shaft in my TM540, 9.5, I, realistically, get about 225 yards (but straight). Ball flight medium high. If I get more aggressive, I usually go high, left, and the stock shaft seems a bit like a "buggy whip". I'd like more yardage. Probably still need regular flex, but hoping one of these two shafts would get me more distance. If I can, I'll try both at the range, but hard to find both hooked up to the same head, same time. Thanks in advance.
  • 02-01-2005
    kirksey74
    Both shafts are great

But you if you want a long and high ball flight, go with the Pro Launch

The aldila has a medium ball flight.
  • 02-01-2005
    rsr72
    Aldila
    Can't speak for the Prolaunch, but I'm using a Cleveland 400 9.5 with the NV-S 65. It has medium-high launch. I was using a Titleist 983k 10.5 for a while with a stock regular 4560 shaft and I felt the launch was too high. I really like the Aldila shaft, I think the regular flex would perform equally well. I feel the launch is ideal, but it also depends on your swing.

I did play a round with a friend's Big Bertha II with a Grafalloy Blue stiff flex and the launch was very low for me, but that's a different shaft.
  • 02-01-2005
    kirksey74
    Aldila NVS ( the red one ) - HIGHER launch

Aldila NV ( the booger green one ) - medium to high

Graffalloy Prolaunch - High launch

Graffalloy blue - low launch

hope that helps
  • 02-02-2005
    Alaskan Golfer
    I know that the shafts of the Aldila NV-65 tend to play a little more flexible than it says. But that may be because of the new 20 layer technology they use. My Aldila helps me reduce my ball spin so I hit it straighter, and it also allows me to work the ball if I want to. It let's me feel the clubhead more, because it is so light, it allows me to make an easy swing and make solid contact.
  • 02-02-2005
    marshalltaggart
    Both shafts are much better than the average stock shaft. I play the original NV 65 X flex, I have a naturally high ball flight and needed this shaft to help bring it down. The Pro Launch gives a little more kick at release than the NV which I liked because you can feel the clubhead a little better but I need a lower ball flight.

Driver Snake Eyes 600T 8.5* w/ Aldila NV65 X
    3+ Callaway 2004 Big Bertha w/ RP Rifle 6.0
    2-PW Callaway X-18 Pro Series w/ RP 5.5
    52* & 58* Callaway Forged + w/ DG S300
    Putter Odyssey 2 Ball Blade
    Ball Callaway HX Blue

Marshall
  • 02-02-2005
    Alaskan Golfer
    I agree with Marshall, the NV was designed so that it wouldn't give as much kick before it hit the ball. I think they made it that way because with a looser flex you can hit it longer but that extra flex can tend to help in pushing or pulling the ball. I did some research and the Proflex is for people who are looking to have that high boring ball flight, But it has a mid kick flex point which allows you to hit it farther. Bottom line is that Stiff helps straighten, and a Regular allows more distance.

Ak
  • 02-02-2005
    Silver
    Uh, presuming the aldila website is correct, the NV is low/mid launch. Also, according to everyone I know that's played it, it plays true or stiff to flex. Maybe it's soft to flex compared to a Speeder or a Blue...?
  • 02-03-2005
    dorkman53
    Both 757 Speeders and the Graffaloy Blue (the regular "Blue") play stiff to flex in the opinion of most observers. I have no information on the Blue ProLaunch, but since it has a lower kickpoint (and thus a slightly higher launch) it will probably at least not feel as stiff as if it had the same flex in a higher kickpoint. Kickpoints have a greater impact on the feel than the actual trajectory, but they do affect both.
  • 02-03-2005
    jc@bg
    Both butt stiffness and tip stiffness come into play. By most accounts, the Prolaunch series plays a bit stiff to flex--which means that you can leave it right--while at the same time producing high launch. Over the past 6 months, I've played a PL 55 gram shaft (reg. flex) most of the time in my drivers. Very good performer, but if I'm not careful to square the clubface through impact, I can hit it a mile high and a half-mile right with this shaft. 75% of my tee shots are straight to a little draw, with a few pull-hooks thrown in to spice things up.

Because I play relatively high-loft drivers, I really should try the NV. Sounds like I might get rid of that high block. On the other hand, the NV/NVS runs over $80, and the Aggressive Frenzy gives what sounds like identical performance (soft-feeling, excellent control, strong distance, mid ball flight) for just over $50. Come to think of it, no shaft will totally eradicate the high block for me. I can go brain-dead in the middle of the swing and leave the clubface 20* open... "Both hands firmly on the wheel" is the technical term.