Driver shaft length

Printable View

• 04-27-2006
    bethpage caddy
    Driver shaft length
    I'm reshafting both my driver and 3-wood with Graphite Design's Purple Ice. The shafts are both 85 grams and X-flex.

I was wondering how much of a loss of distance taking a half an inch off the shaft (44.5") would cause? Or a full inch (44")?

Also, I'm a fairly tall guy (6'2"), I'm not sure if that will be a factor...
  • 04-27-2006
    Lloyd_Christmas3
    The BPC edit strikes again. So sad...
  • 04-27-2006
    honorerdieu
    Insignificant. Your distance may increase when you're hitting the ball in the sweet spot.
  • 04-28-2006
    LyleG
    I was once told, but cannot confirm, that for each half inch of shaft length reduction on the driver you can expect 3-5 yards less distance. However you can also expect a 3-5 yards tighter dispersion of shots.

So imo shorter is better, especially if your misses tend to be only a yard or 2 off the fairway.
  • 04-29-2006
    bethpage caddy
    [QUOTE=LyleG]I was once told, but cannot confirm, that for each half inch of shaft length reduction on the driver you can expect 3-5 yards less distance. However you can also expect a 3-5 yards tighter dispersion of shots.

So imo shorter is better, especially if your misses tend to be only a yard or 2 off the fairway.[/QUOTE]

Actually, you're right on.. I'm always on the first cut or right off the fairway.

I'm starting to think about bringing the club down to about 44.5", a little bit shorter.