• 05-28-2008
    Coop38
    Best Clubs for High Handicapper?
    Hi guys,
    I normally shoot 95-100. I've taken a few lessons, but haven't played or practiced enough to really improve over the last several years. I'm currently playing with Mizuno MX-20s, but fear that they might not be the best clubs for a hacker like me. Do you guys thinks I would get any benefit from trying some newer game improvement irons, like the G-10s, R7s or callaway X-20s? I tend to push the ball right, and I know that these clubs have more offset than the MX-20s, which I hear may help. Any other sets out there I should give a try?

Thanks.
  • 05-28-2008
    Strick
    More lessons from a decent teaching pro and plenty of range work is all you need. MX-20's are fine for your skill level. If you don't intend to put the time and effort into improving why play at all?
  • 05-28-2008
    Coop38
    [QUOTE=Strick]More lessons from a decent teaching pro and plenty of range work is all you need. MX-20's are fine for your skill level. If you don't intend to put the time and effort into improving why play at all?[/QUOTE]

The short answer is a wife and two small kids. I don't have time to really get great at snow skiing or kayaking, but i still enjoy doing it a few times a year. I'm usually 'allowed" to play golf once every two or three weeks.

She lets me spend money (or should I say what she doesn't know won't hurt her), so I at least want to make sure that the clubs that I'm using are suited to my skill level.
  • 05-28-2008
    pingman360
    i dont think that you would benefit from another set... MX-20's are very forgiving and i dont think that say r7's would help you any more than the 20's do... i suggest rather than spen the $ on a new set blindly... get fit and go frim there...
  • 05-28-2008
    Kiwi Player
    [QUOTE=Coop38]Hi guys,
    I normally shoot 95-100. I've taken a few lessons, but haven't played or practiced enough to really improve over the last several years. I'm currently playing with Mizuno MX-20s, but fear that they might not be the best clubs for a hacker like me. Do you guys thinks I would get any benefit from trying some newer game improvement irons, like the G-10s, R7s or callaway X-20s? I tend to push the ball right, and I know that these clubs have more offset than the MX-20s, which I hear may help. Any other sets out there I should give a try?

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

The MX-20's are a game improvement iron but not the most forgiving GI iron out there. If you had more time to play/practice I would say stick with the MX-20's as they are a very good club and forgiving enough to use as you improve. But if you really don't think that you have time to play and improve and just want something really easy to hit the G10 would probably be worth a try.

But don't take my word for it. Go and demo them if you can.

Having said that I don't know if they will straighten out that block right. You need to work on releasing the club head.

Good luck.
  • 05-29-2008
    Not a hacker
    Until recently I had a set of MX20's for about 3 years so I can give a good appraisal of them. They are definitely GI but are probably towards the player end of GI clubs. Having said that, they are still easy to hit and very forgiving, but also reward good shots more than other GI sets. I honestly think for any one between 10 and 20 cap MX 20's are the best clubs you could get. As you said they have little offset and aren't too clunky, and also have pure feel from being forged. You are on the borderline of 20 and sound like a reasonably athletic guy so I would say stick with them. I absolutely loved mine and only got rid of them because I thought the time was right to move up to a forged player club as I got back to single figures. The MX20 will serve you well, and as you improve you will appreciate them more and more. The other sets you suggested are shovels and to ditch Mizunos for them would be like trading in your ferrari to get a buick.