• 04-16-2008
    Pky6471
    Hybrid Equivalent of 5-wood?
    I have the old Orlimar Trimetal 5-wood which I hit quite well, but not as straight as I would like to see. I am looking for suggestion for a hybrid , especially the loft to possibly achieve the same distance. Do I need 17-18 degree hybrid? Current I have Adams Idea Tech OS 4H hybrid which I believe it's either 22 or 23 degree, I hit this club quite straight. I don't worry too much about "working the ball"

Thanks
  • 04-16-2008
    swartzd
    17 or 18 degrees would be it. The Nickent 3DX DC for $79 at rockbottomgolf.com is a nice choice. It doesn't tend to be the hook machines that some hybrids can be. Also the Hogan CFTs (17 or 19 deg.) are real nice for the prices they get.
  • 04-16-2008
    I have replaced my 17 degree Titleist five wood with a 16 degree Cleveland HiBore XLS hybrid, and it's a great trade. THe hybrid hits the ball about the same distance, but its straighter and because it's lower loft it doesn't balloon into the wind the way the five wood did. It's a more penetrating flight. I hit it off the tee on shorter par 4 holes... I also have a 19 deg Wilson hybrid that replaces both my 2 and 3 irons... a full shot is a 2 iron and a bit of a chokedown gives me 3 iron distance...
  • 04-16-2008
    Belly
    I replaced my 5 wood with the Callaway X 2hybrid it is 18*. As Dave does I hit mine on short or tight par 4's off the tee and its works great, not as long as a 5 wood but easier to control.
  • 04-16-2008
    SDB1
    I never had a 5 wood but I recently found a need for a 230-245 club so I got a 19 degree hybrid that works great. I feel better telling people it's my two iron replacement instead of a 5 wood replacement so I can still feel like a man!
  • 04-16-2008
    bjdrivers
    [QUOTE=SDB1]I feel better telling people it's my two iron replacement instead of a 5 wood replacement so I can still feel like a man![/QUOTE]

Uh, shouldn't that be the other way around?
  • 04-16-2008
    SDB1
    [QUOTE=bjdrivers]Uh, shouldn't that be the other way around?[/QUOTE]

No.

Replacing a 2 iron with a Hybrid is acceptable. Replacing a five wood means you're a whithering old man.
  • 04-16-2008
    bjdrivers
    [QUOTE=SDB1]No.

Replacing a 2 iron with a Hybrid is acceptable. Replacing a five wood means you're a whithering old man.[/QUOTE]

Hardly, you're only showing your inability to hit a long iron with any consistency, so you need an equivalent lofted inbred hybrid to give you forgiveness. Hell anyone can hit a fairway wood.
  • 04-16-2008
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=bjdrivers]Hardly, you're only showing your inability to hit a long iron with any consistency, so you need an equivalent lofted inbred hybrid to give you forgiveness. Hell anyone can hit a fairway wood.[/QUOTE]
    I'm terrible with fairway woods off the turf. I actually hit my monster driver better off the deck. It gets a little more than head high with a baby fade. The 3 wood goes anywhere.
  • 04-16-2008
    SDB1
    [QUOTE=bjdrivers]Hardly, you're only showing your inability to hit a long iron with any consistency, so you need an equivalent lofted inbred hybrid to give you forgiveness. Hell anyone can hit a fairway wood.[/QUOTE]

You've made my point! Anyone can hit a fairway wood, so why replace it with a hybrid? You have to be terrible to replace a 5 wood with a hybrid! A 2 iron on the other hand is traditionally difficult to hit consistently. That's why it is still acceptable to get rid of it for a hybrid. Now replacing 3 or 4 iron, well......I won't even go there.
  • 04-16-2008
    bjdrivers
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]I'm terrible with fairway woods off the turf. I actually hit my monster driver better off the deck. It gets a little more than head high with a baby fade. The 3 wood goes anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Then maybe you should invest in a 460cc LaJolla knife railed 3 wood you chopper.
  • 04-16-2008
    [QUOTE=SDB1]You have to be terrible to replace a 5 wood with a hybrid! .[/QUOTE]

Well, I only hit 13 greens my last time out, so I guess I"m terrible. Two of them I hit into the wind with my 16 deg hybrid-- and the same shot with the 17 deg Titleist five wood I used to carry would have ballooned into the wind and fallen short, into a water hazard in one case.

Did I mention the two 16 deg hybrids were second shots to par 5s?

If I'm terrible at anything, it's chipping and putting. THat's why I'm an 8 handicap instead of a four. I can't get around in less than about 36-37 putts per round.

But I hit the long ball pretty good. Unless it's a long shot into the wind with a 17 deg five wood.

That's why I got the hybrid.

cuz I'm terrible. :-)
  • 04-16-2008
    bjdrivers
    Dave, you're a senior which excludes you from any hybrid toting gayness. Just look at the Champions Tour bags. I used to have a 19* Titleist 5 wood & I never had a problem with it ballooning. But like I said, your age makes you exempt from anti-gaybrid flaming.
  • 04-16-2008
    [QUOTE=bjdrivers]Dave, you're a senior which excludes you from any hybrid toting gayness. Just look at the Champions Tour bags. I used to have a 19* Titleist 5 wood & I never had a problem with it ballooning. But like I said, your age makes you exempt from anti-gaybrid flaming.[/QUOTE]

I'm 47. I'm way out of shape and my back hurts like hell, though, so I will claim an early exemption. :-)
  • 04-16-2008
    caddy45
    you should try a 19* hogan cft hybrid. i have the 21* and its one of my best hit clubs in my bag. its also a club that i always hit straight. you can probably find it pretty cheap now.