Favorite Chinese Food?

Printable View

• 09-12-2012
    The Purist
    Favorite Chinese Food?
    I thought I would beat FD to the punch on the "favorite" thread of the day. I hope you find it exciting.

I've always been a fan of the general TSO's chicken. I used to get it with lo Mein, but now I usually stick to fried rice. An egg roll is a must.
  • 09-12-2012
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=The Purist;281982]I thought I would beat FD to the punch on the "favorite" thread of the day. I hope you find it exciting.

I've always been a fan of the general TSO's chicken. I used to get it with lo Mein, but now I usually stick to fried rice. An egg roll is a must.[/QUOTE]

Anyone who's ever been to China or Hong Kong or Taiwan knows that General Tsao's Chicken is superior. Don't ask me why. Any Chinamen here? Maybe Pky knows even though he is not Chinese but they were his neighbors.
  • 09-12-2012
    famousdavis
    Kun Pao Chicken

That fried sweet crunchy Shrimp stuff

Chow Mein

Beef & Vegetables at Pick Up Stix

I do not like the egg roles, pot stickers or any of that other gross fatty stuff.

Nor do I like fortune cookies, especially when they started printing lotto numbers.

Great thread by the way
  • 09-12-2012
    jmtbkr
    Noodles w/ beef and tomatoes
    Roast Pork Chow Fon

Both from world famous Wo-Hop, 17 Mott st. downstairs(basement w/community tables)

[url]http://wohopnyc.com/default.aspx[/url]
  • 09-12-2012
    jmtbkr
    A few years ago, a Chinese couple put in a $5 buffet in a small town nearby.
    A few friends and us said, "hey, $5, how bad could it be?!"
    We went, they had 4 tables, we took up 3 of them.
    We ate and ate and ate....
    The owner came to us and started yelling,"You be here 2 hour!! You pay and get out!"

Never have I laughed so hard!
  • 09-12-2012
    jt1135
    Double cooked pork. Hot and spicy as hell.
  • 09-12-2012
    Not a German
    [QUOTE=mongrel;282005]Anyone who's ever been to China or Hong Kong or Taiwan knows that General Tsao's Chicken is superior. Don't ask me why. Any Chinamen here? Maybe Pky knows even though he is not Chinese but they were his neighbors.[/QUOTE]

Very true, even if made from ingredients scooped from the gutter.
  • 09-12-2012
    jt1135
    Have to say after spending a year in Korea in the 80's I prefer Korean over Chinese.
  • 09-15-2012
    Pky6471
    3 Attachment(s)
    [QUOTE=mongrel;282005]Anyone who's ever been to China or Hong Kong or Taiwan knows that General Tsao's Chicken is superior. Don't ask me why. Any Chinamen here? Maybe Pky knows even though he is not Chinese but they were his neighbors.[/QUOTE]

Old subject but.... You don't know Chinese food until to hang around with local people in China. I spent a total of 5 weeks last yr in Shanghai and I was out with several managers there at night for dinner... UNBELIEVABLE. A Pký HS friend of mine (still there) is a big shot for an American company in Shanghai (his apartment in Xuijahui Shanghai is $4500/month and he has his own private chauffeur who makes maybe $150/month), so every weekend his chauffeur drove us to outside of Shanghai to visit different locations and this Chinese chauffeur ordered the best local food for us .

You should be able to find good to excellent Chinese food in SF, San Jose, S.CA, Washington DC, Houston TX... Here in US, I would go for VNmese, Thai and Korean before I go to Chinese food... Good oriental food is not good enough for me , it has to be great

Here are pix of the latest trip that my daughter took (1) we flew over North pole (2) Info from TV screen and (3) some food samples that we had
  • 09-15-2012
    famousdavis
    Tell the chef that looks like low grade dog food. You can still see the marks from where the jockey was kicking.
  • 09-15-2012
    Kiwi Player
    Tell the chef to go easy on the soya sauce next time.
  • 09-17-2012
    The Purist
    [QUOTE=Pky6471;282210]Old subject but.... You don't know Chinese food until to hang around with local people in China. I spent a total of 5 weeks last yr in Shanghai and I was out with several managers there at night for dinner... UNBELIEVABLE. A Pký HS friend of mine (still there) is a big shot for an American company in Shanghai (his apartment in Xuijahui Shanghai is $4500/month and he has his own private chauffeur who makes maybe $150/month), so every weekend his chauffeur drove us to outside of Shanghai to visit different locations and this Chinese chauffeur ordered the best local food for us .

You should be able to find good to excellent Chinese food in SF, San Jose, S.CA, Washington DC, Houston TX... Here in US, I would go for VNmese, Thai and Korean before I go to Chinese food... Good oriental food is not good enough for me , it has to be great

Here are pix of the latest trip that my daughter took (1) we flew over North pole (2) Info from TV screen and (3) some food samples that we had[/QUOTE]

That looks pretty good to me.

BTW---I didn't know you could fly over the North Pole. Rumor has it that Santa Claus has a no fly zone in effect.
  • 09-17-2012
    Pky6471
    [QUOTE=The Purist;282285]That looks pretty good to me.

BTW---I didn't know you could fly over the North Pole. Rumor has it that Santa Claus has a no fly zone in effect.[/QUOTE]

Shortest way to fly to Shanghai or Beijing from the east
    coast is to fly to the North pole then come down, so when the pilot announced that we were on top of the North pole then my daughter took a picture.

The restaurant is a well-known South Beauty franchise in Shanghai/Beijing. The owner used to be a dish washer in Canada, she tried a chinese carry out restaurant in Canada but did not survive, so she went back to China and to make a long story short she is now a multimillionaire in China

[url]http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g308272-d1219812-Reviews-South_Beauty-Shanghai.html[/url]