Work Ethic

Printable View

• 07-13-2012
    hubijerk
    Work Ethic
    So, after some comments from some of you guys, including the forums greatest ball striker, I'm interested in hearing what kind of effort you guys put in and what your goals/plans are, I know many of you play for enjoyment purposes, and most don't have the time or energy after work, and kids, etc. Personally I am competitive to a fault, I've always had something I was training for/competing in, Golden gloves, mountain bike racing, snowboarding, poker... I need to compete and if I'm not training for something frankly I feel lost, I feel like I underachieved in golf as far as what I accomplished vs. my talent, I never took golf as seriously as I should have, I coasted on natural talent and spent far too little time honestly assessing my game and working on my holes (mostly course management), as a result I threw away at least 1 shot at playing a PGA tour event and perhaps several top 5 finishes on the buy.com tour when I qualified as an am... As it stands now I'm eying up some city amateur events and some Pepsi tour events for the fall but I need to shave my average down by about 3 strokes a round before I'd be totally comfortable, after this I'll evaluate and decide what's next, hopefully qualify for some web.com events and ultimately qualify for next years Timberlake tourney at TPC Vegas... I also have 2 years of NCAA eligibility left, I may head back to school and be the old guy on the team.

For the last 3-4 months I've been playing between 4-5 times a week, often more than 18 with an average of about 100 holes per week, one of these rounds will be a practice round in which I'll go out by myself late and play multiple balls, hit multiple shots, pitches, putts, etc from all different spots (this is where the majority of my tee shot and iron practice comes, also this probably significantly increases my effective holes played way over 100) I'll also play the last few holes in the dark dodging sprinkler fire. Rounds I play with my friends, I encourage them to talk, move, tell jokes, whatever while I'm prepping/hitting to deaden my reactions to distractions as when there are spectators there is ALWAYS movement an noise, especially down fairway and from adjacent holes. 1 or 2 days a week I spend about 3-4 hours practicing mostly short approaches, and wedge shots from 20-100 yards with some chipping. Lately I've been taking one night, usually after a round or on an off day and put 2 hours into putting, stroke work, distance control, long lags, and I finish with 10-15 footers that I have to make 7/10 before I can leave. I need to put in some more work with tee shots and long irons but I absolutely detest hitting range balls, both in feel, and because of the inevitable annoying range rat guy that comes up to me and tries to start up a conversation, also range balls cost money, unless I take the time to go out and shag balls that have strayed offline which is time consuming.

Fitness wise between poker and golf I've neglected the gym and the bike, however this is something that needs to change as well, 2-3 nights a week I'll be putting in a 30 mile ride or so and 3 nights a week weight work in the gym, I'll ease up on arms and chest a bit now that I'm back playing but continue to hit back and legs hard, more body weight exercises pull ups, push ups etc. to build strength but limit mass, I tend to gain muscle quickly. My diet needs to improve too.

With as much time as I'm putting in now, I will be increasing it, as many of you guys think it's unreasonable to expect to achieve average tour level skill that's what I'm aiming for, I may not achieve this but I came real close as a lazy idiot kid once, I just might have a shot.

So for the competitive guys who are working on improving, what kind of time do you put in? I know Fluffy is an aspiring pro, but is anyone else looking at challenging non handicap tourneys? Locals, regional's, etc? Anyone play any tour qualifiers, US Open qualifiers, etc.?

By the way Fluffy when's your long drive qualifier for the Remax? I live about an hour from Mesquite, if you get in you have a ride and a place to stay if needed, just as long as I can take some swings with your long driver.
  • 07-13-2012
    Kiwi Player
    I am just a middle age, mid handicap hack who is happy shooting mid to low eighties and occasionally (very occasionally lately :() a round in the seventies. I'm currently going through a pretty rough run of form so I am trying to turn that around with lessons and some regular range sessions. So far it's not paying dividends at all. As soon I get out on the course all the old problems come flooding back and I hack it up again. Still the way I see it I have two options. Keep working on my game or give this fukking game up altogether in frustration.

I'm gonna keep working at it but I am getting extremely frustrated lately.

So as you can see Hubi our games and our goals are worlds apart. I can only dream of posting a 62 like you had the other week.
  • 07-13-2012
    huskyhater
    I was an 8 hcp when I was younger (20's to early 40's), ran and/or lifted weights 6 days a week, and hit balls 2-3 times a week. NOW...............I'm older (55 and counting), hit balls maybe once a week, and exercise when my aching body permits me to (MVP on HS football team at 5'5" and 145-dumb enough to play like I was 6'5" and 240), and my hcp has gone to a 'shady' 13-I don't think I'm that good.
    GOOD POST, this should be an interesting one.
  • 07-13-2012
    huskyhater
    [QUOTE=Kiwi Player;276597]I am just a middle age, mid handicap hack who is happy shooting mid to low eighties and occasionally (very occasionally lately :() a round in the seventies. I'm currently going through a pretty rough run of form so I am trying to turn that around with lessons and some regular range sessions. So far it's not paying dividends at all. As soon I get out on the course all the old problems come flooding back and I hack it up again. Still the way I see it I have two options. Keep working on my game or give this fukking game up altogether in frustration.

So as you can see Hubi our games and our goals are worlds apart. I can only dream of posting a 62 like you had the other week.[/QUOTE]

Don't try and hit it so far when you're playing and practice your short game, your scores will come down and stay there-chipping is half the game. Good luck.
  • 07-13-2012
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276593]So, after some comments from some of you guys, including the forums greatest ball striker, I'm interested in hearing what kind of effort you guys put in and what your goals/plans are, I know many of you play for enjoyment purposes, and most don't have the time or energy after work, and kids, etc. Personally I am competitive to a fault, I've always had something I was training for/competing in, Golden gloves, mountain bike racing, snowboarding, poker... I need to compete and if I'm not training for something frankly I feel lost, I feel like I underachieved in golf as far as what I accomplished vs. my talent, I never took golf as seriously as I should have, I coasted on natural talent and spent far too little time honestly assessing my game and working on my holes (mostly course management), as a result I threw away at least 1 shot at playing a PGA tour event and perhaps several top 5 finishes on the buy.com tour when I qualified as an am... As it stands now I'm eying up some city amateur events and some Pepsi tour events for the fall but I need to shave my average down by about 3 strokes a round before I'd be totally comfortable, after this I'll evaluate and decide what's next, hopefully qualify for some web.com events and ultimately qualify for next years Timberlake tourney at TPC Vegas... I also have 2 years of NCAA eligibility left, I may head back to school and be the old guy on the team.

For the last 3-4 months I've been playing between 4-5 times a week, often more than 18 with an average of about 100 holes per week, one of these rounds will be a practice round in which I'll go out by myself late and play multiple balls, hit multiple shots, pitches, putts, etc from all different spots (this is where the majority of my tee shot and iron practice comes, also this probably significantly increases my effective holes played way over 100) I'll also play the last few holes in the dark dodging sprinkler fire. Rounds I play with my friends, I encourage them to talk, move, tell jokes, whatever while I'm prepping/hitting to deaden my reactions to distractions as when there are spectators there is ALWAYS movement an noise, especially down fairway and from adjacent holes. 1 or 2 days a week I spend about 3-4 hours practicing mostly short approaches, and wedge shots from 20-100 yards with some chipping. Lately I've been taking one night, usually after a round or on an off day and put 2 hours into putting, stroke work, distance control, long lags, and I finish with 10-15 footers that I have to make 7/10 before I can leave. I need to put in some more work with tee shots and long irons but I absolutely detest hitting range balls, both in feel, and because of the inevitable annoying range rat guy that comes up to me and tries to start up a conversation, also range balls cost money, unless I take the time to go out and shag balls that have strayed offline which is time consuming.

Fitness wise between poker and golf I've neglected the gym and the bike, however this is something that needs to change as well, 2-3 nights a week I'll be putting in a 30 mile ride or so and 3 nights a week weight work in the gym, I'll ease up on arms and chest a bit now that I'm back playing but continue to hit back and legs hard, more body weight exercises pull ups, push ups etc. to build strength but limit mass, I tend to gain muscle quickly. My diet needs to improve too.

With as much time as I'm putting in now, I will be increasing it, as many of you guys think it's unreasonable to expect to achieve average tour level skill that's what I'm aiming for, I may not achieve this but I came real close as a lazy idiot kid once, I just might have a shot.

So for the competitive guys who are working on improving, what kind of time do you put in? I know Fluffy is an aspiring pro, but is anyone else looking at challenging non handicap tourneys? Locals, regional's, etc? Anyone play any tour qualifiers, US Open qualifiers, etc.?

By the way Fluffy when's your long drive qualifier for the Remax? I live about an hour from Mesquite, if you get in you have a ride and a place to stay if needed, just as long as I can take some swings with your long driver.[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize you were a pro. I think what you are doing is great. Keep at it and do whatever it takes to make the dream a reality. Don't settle down until you absolutely want to and don't let anyone pressure you to do otherwise.

I play in some SCGA events but not many. I'm in my 40's and am satisfied with my golf game. I'm always trying to improve but it doesn't bother me (too much) if I shoot a bad score. I know it's just part of the deal.
  • 07-14-2012
    Pky6471
    I am 60+ ,suck at golf but I enjoy the game... got into the game very late, never took lesson and don't intend to due to my stupid R&D mentality. My scores are in the 85-95 range. I spend more time at the range to R&D my swing and it really helps improve my swing ... consistency is what I am looking for, My goal is consistently shooting in the 85-90 range this year... I am think I am getting there
  • 07-14-2012
    buddha33
    I'm in my mid-30s and committing myself to get better at golf for the second time in my life. The first time was almost 10 years ago and I was still playing right handed. My best score at the time was 89, but my swing fundamentals were horrible. I put the game down for a while, but have now decided to recommit to it by playing left-handed (my natural side). I took some lessons to get the set-up down, but now it's a matter of putting in the time either on the range or the course. I've only played four times this year, but am making a point to go to the range once a week. My best score is a 95, but I feel my fundamentals are solid enough to break 90 before summer's end.

Like Kiwi, I slip into periods of great frustration and wonder if I'd be better off just hanging it up for good (or at least until the kids are grown). Time definitely isn't something I'm flush with at this point in my life, so I guess I can't expect miracles with the limited amount I put into the game.
  • 07-14-2012
    Home-slicer
    [QUOTE=Kiwi Player;276597]
    I'm gonna keep working at it but I am getting extremely frustrated lately. [/QUOTE]
    Keep working at it? Come on, man. That's your problem right there. If you spent less time working on it and more time getting the right equipment in your bag, you would be a low single digit in no time.

I would start with those 'off the rack' wedges. You can't seriously be under the illusion that you can play all the shots with those. (Also you need at least two more lofts, I recommend 50, 54, 58, 62)

The MP58s are a little gimmicky with the multi-materials and what-not, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. (With the exception of the absence of a 3iron.)

Glad I could help. I'm looking forward to reading about your success when you come to Cali and beat FD like a drum.
  • 07-14-2012
    12sandwich
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276593]So, after some comments from some of you guys, including the forums greatest ball striker, I'm interested in hearing what kind of effort you guys put in and what your goals/plans are, I know many of you play for enjoyment purposes, and most don't have the time or energy after work, and kids, etc. Personally I am competitive to a fault, I've always had something I was training for/competing in, Golden gloves, mountain bike racing, snowboarding, poker... I need to compete and if I'm not training for something frankly I feel lost, I feel like I underachieved in golf as far as what I accomplished vs. my talent, I never took golf as seriously as I should have, I coasted on natural talent and spent far too little time honestly assessing my game and working on my holes (mostly course management), as a result I threw away at least 1 shot at playing a PGA tour event and perhaps several top 5 finishes on the buy.com tour when I qualified as an am... As it stands now I'm eying up some city amateur events and some Pepsi tour events for the fall but I need to shave my average down by about 3 strokes a round before I'd be totally comfortable, after this I'll evaluate and decide what's next, hopefully qualify for some web.com events and ultimately qualify for next years Timberlake tourney at TPC Vegas... I also have 2 years of NCAA eligibility left, I may head back to school and be the old guy on the team.

By the way Fluffy when's your long drive qualifier for the Remax? I live about an hour from Mesquite, if you get in you have a ride and a place to stay if needed, just as long as I can take some swings with your long driver.[/QUOTE]

I had an old local welder fix my 6061 gt i drive frame, thats been broke 2 years. 5.1 in rear 4.2 front travel, conti vertical pros, xt everything, fox rear, manitou front, avid arch rival brakes, easton monkey bars, azonic Love seat, mavic wheels, sram 5.0, raceface, gt flats. So I intend to ride my mountain bike soon.
    Sh!t this is the golf forum, I want to put a practice green in my back yard, a real one.
  • 07-14-2012
    NiftyNiblick
    Work has always been a four letter word to me.
  • 07-14-2012
    SoonerBS

I am not a professional and I carry an 8 handicap on my home course (may be closer to a 12 whenever I go to other courses). I have no advice for your workout regime. You will likely find what is right for you.

I have had to recently fine tune my equipment and now I need to fine tune my game. I play nearly every weekday with a bunch of retired seniors ages 60-75. They are all good golfers and even in their older age most hammer the ball out to 250 yards on their drives. This has become a severe problem for me this Summer because at our course, the tees are allowed by age. Being under 50, I still have to play from the tips, but the guys over 70 get to play from the senior tees. This allows them a good 50 to 75 yard advantage on most tees as they tend to set the senior tees up near the women's tees.

So, as a consequence, I am doing my best to golf in the high 70s and I have been very consistent at doing so this Summer, but the seniors are golfing in the mid to lower 70s. Last week, there were three scores shot in the 60s. It is hard to win a lot of skins competing against those kind of scores. Complaining is not my way of consolation, I have to get better.

The strengths of my game right now are chipping and driving. My weaknesses are iron play and putting. It is not that I am horrible at iron play and putting, but I am not as good as my competition. A lot of them are reaching the green in regulation and they are deadly putters. I, on the other hand, have been just missing the greens and chipping it in very close to the pin. This works great for pars, but the birdies have been eluding me. Whenever I do reach a green in regulation, I have been lipping out a lot of putts or just grabbing the edges. I'm very close to reaching the next level of my golf game, but I am not quite there yet. As a result, the old farts are taking my money every day.

My consistency in reaching greens in regulation just has to get better. Eventually, the putts will fall, but I have to start giving myself a chance at birdie putts by getting on the greens. To achieve this I probably need to hit a lot of iron shots over and over again until a more consistent swing becomes ingrained in my body. That means a lot of range work and hitting a lot of balls.
  • 07-14-2012
    SoonerBS
    [QUOTE=Kiwi Player;276597]I am just a middle age, mid handicap hack who is happy shooting mid to low eighties and occasionally (very occasionally lately :() a round in the seventies. I'm currently going through a pretty rough run of form so I am trying to turn that around with lessons and some regular range sessions. So far it's not paying dividends at all. As soon I get out on the course all the old problems come flooding back and I hack it up again. Still the way I see it I have two options. Keep working on my game or give this fukking game up altogether in frustration.

So as you can see Hubi our games and our goals are worlds apart. I can only dream of posting a 62 like you had the other week.[/QUOTE]

Put your change in your left pocket. Go on, do it. Now, tie your left shoe in a double knot. Right now, do it! Turn the hat backwards. Turn your hat around. Do it, Kiwi! Take this tee and stick it behind your left ear. Now, hit the damn ball straight up the fairway!
  • 07-14-2012
    NiftyNiblick
    I've had two turn-around moments in my golf life at moments of high frustration.

One was being told to keep my left heel firmly planted. Regardless of how much this shortened my backswing due to poor flexibility on my part, the resulting improvement in balance showed up directly in ball flight.

Two was getting my mind down into the dirt. Everybody recommends visualizing ball flight before taking a shot. I went from just that to also visualizing ball contact where steel meets urethane.

On every shot, there is an angle of attack with which you want to hit the ball. Instead of just picturing the different positions in your swing attempting to make that type of contact, think of the contact itself and trust your coordination. Letting the ball get in the way of your swing is a method useless to "hitters."

I'm not athletically good enough to play much better than I'm playing now, but these two things help me to play as well as I can.
  • 07-14-2012
    hubijerk
    [QUOTE=12sandwich;276628]I had an old local welder fix my 6061 gt i drive frame, thats been broke 2 years. 5.1 in rear 4.2 front travel, conti vertical pros, xt everything, fox rear, manitou front, avid arch rival brakes, easton monkey bars, azonic Love seat, mavic wheels, sram 5.0, raceface, gt flats. So I intend to ride my mountain bike soon.
    Sh!t this is the golf forum, I want to put a practice green in my back yard, a real one.[/QUOTE]

Nice, our team had a sponsorship from Cannondale so we got stuff for almost nothing, I also raced some crits but I'm built more like a triathlete/boxer than a cyclist so long climbs were never a strong suit of mine, when I raced downhill I had a Santa Cruz Super 8, and then a Cannondale Judge, now I still have my Carbon Rush full XTR with SLR wheels and my roadie is a Super Six with full Red and Cosmic SLR's... X=country I made up a ton of time on the descents and on the super steep climbs I could just muscle, on the roadie I almost never lost a sprint, but it was always a little demoralizing to watch some 140 lb terd blow by me on a long climb like I was standing still....

As for the real green in the backyard, I'd be happy with a fake one... have you seen the backyard at Tigers new house?
  • 07-14-2012
    Kiwi Player
    [QUOTE=Home-slicer;276627]Keep working at it? Come on, man. That's your problem right there. If you spent less time working on it and more time getting the right equipment in your bag, you would be a low single digit in no time.

I would start with those 'off the rack' wedges. You can't seriously be under the illusion that you can play all the shots with those. (Also you need at least two more lofts, I recommend 50, 54, 58, 62)

The MP58s are a little gimmicky with the multi-materials and what-not, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. (With the exception of the absence of a 3iron.)

Glad I could help. I'm looking forward to reading about your success when you come to Cali and beat FD like a drum.[/QUOTE]

Good stuff Homie. I agree that I need to add more wedges with more loft options and put the 3 iron back in the bag. You're right about these gimmicky MP58s. What was I thinking? Time to put the MP33 blades back in the bag. Also 10.5° is such a wussy loft for Driver. I need to get an 8° driver and 13° 3 wood. And the putter is the most important club in the bag so I shouldn't be skimping. Time to get a $350 Scotty Cameron.

So my new setup:

D 8°, 3w 13° MP33 3-PW, 52° 58° 64° Scotty putter.

Thanks mate for the enlightening pep talk. If I don't shoot 76 with this setup I never will.
  • 07-14-2012
    oldplayer
    Twice in my 20 years of playing I have gotten to a point where I was frustrated with my very poor play and was not enjoying playing. both times I have got to the point where I really only had two choices. Quit or take my game to the next level. I love the game so much that quitting was not an option so I had to knuckle down and make myself a better player. It wasn't just the lessons or the range time, the better equipment or hours spent on the putting green. It was the change in attitude I had to have. to not let my failures deter me. To forget the bad play and accept I had to be patient to turn things around.
    I know this sounds dramatic but golf is character building and those who love the game but can't hack the challenge to improve do quit,and are poorer for it. Don't give in Kiwi. I have not returned to the poor play that once frustrated me. Only the natural cycles of form that come and go.
  • 07-14-2012
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;276661]Twice in my 20 years of playing I have gotten to a point where I was frustrated with my very poor play and was not enjoying playing. both times I have got to the point where I really only had two choices. Quit or take my game to the next level. I love the game so much that quitting was not an option so I had to knuckle down and make myself a better player. It wasn't just the lessons or the range time, the better equipment or hours spent on the putting green. It was the change in attitude I had to have. to not let my failures deter me. To forget the bad play and accept I had to be patient to turn things around.
    I know this sounds dramatic but golf is character building and those who love the game but can't hack the challenge to improve do quit,and are poorer for it. Don't give in Kiwi. I have not returned to the poor play that once frustrated me. Only the natural cycles of form that come and go.[/QUOTE]

I think you are right. Better golf can be obtained by better utilisation of the area about six inches long between the ears. I am playing a round with my club group tomorrow and have pulled several clubs from my bag so that I will only play with 12. Thus leaving me less choices and chances to f*ck up decision-making on the course.
  • 07-14-2012
    SoonerBS
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;276661]Twice in my 20 years of playing I have gotten to a point where I was frustrated with my very poor play and was not enjoying playing. both times I have got to the point where I really only had two choices. Quit or take my game to the next level. I love the game so much that quitting was not an option so I had to knuckle down and make myself a better player. It wasn't just the lessons or the range time, the better equipment or hours spent on the putting green. It was the change in attitude I had to have. to not let my failures deter me. To forget the bad play and accept I had to be patient to turn things around.
    I know this sounds dramatic but golf is character building and those who love the game but can't hack the challenge to improve do quit,and are poorer for it. Don't give in Kiwi. I have not returned to the poor play that once frustrated me. Only the natural cycles of form that come and go.[/QUOTE]

We are never satisfied with our golf games. Only a couple of years ago I was always saying to myself, "If I can just start breaking 80, I'll be satisfied with my game." That was bullsh!t. I am breaking 80 consistently now, but I want to be down around par golf.
  • 07-14-2012
    jmtbkr
    [QUOTE=12sandwich;276628]I had an old local welder fix my 6061 gt i drive frame, thats been broke 2 years. 5.1 in rear 4.2 front travel, conti vertical pros, xt everything, fox rear, manitou front, avid arch rival brakes, easton monkey bars, azonic Love seat, mavic wheels, sram 5.0, raceface, gt flats. So I intend to ride my mountain bike soon.
    Sh!t this is the golf forum, I want to put a practice green in my back yard, a real one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what a funny place to talk MTB. You should check into Francois' baby, MTBR. But I'm sure you already have :)

I own a Turner 5spot and ride it 2-3X a week on our local loops. So I get in about 20mi at a time. Of course, here on long island its really trail riding. The other 2 days are on the road bike - Voodoo 853 steel w/ carbon stays. I average 35mi each ride.

The other 3 days are golf. Monday, Wednesday are afterwork leagues and Saturday morning is 18 with the buds. Occasionally I will hit the range. I really need to set up a tripod w/camera to video my swing to analyze it. Thats the engineer in me.
  • 07-14-2012
    Kiwi Player
    [QUOTE=mongrel;276663]I think you are right. Better golf can be obtained by better utilisation of the area about six inches long between the ears. I am playing a round with my club group tomorrow and have pulled several clubs from my bag so that I will only play with 12. Thus leaving me less choices and chances to f*ck up decision-making on the course.[/QUOTE]

I think this is a good point Mongrel. Sometimes we fret over which 14 clubs to play and wish for a 15th club but like you I have often bagged 12 clubs and played well. Eliminating so many options is sometimes a good thing. Whenever I hire clubs the usual setup is D, 3w, 21° hybrid, 4-SW and putter. I am pretty happy with this setup and the only club I really miss is my gap wedge but even that can be covered with a 3/4 PW on full swings. I just miss it around the green. Especially when most hire clubs are GI shovels with 45° PW. But even that is not a big deal.
  • 07-14-2012
    buddha33
    [QUOTE=mongrel;276663]I think you are right. Better golf can be obtained by better utilisation of the area about six inches long between the ears. I am playing a round with my club group tomorrow and have pulled several clubs from my bag so that I will only play with 12. Thus leaving me less choices and chances to f*ck up decision-making on the course.[/QUOTE]
    Which clubs do you think you'll yank?
  • 07-14-2012
    huskyhater
    [QUOTE=buddha33;276622]I'm in my mid-30s and committing myself to get better at golf for the second time in my life. The first time was almost 10 years ago and I was still playing right handed. My best score at the time was 89, but my swing fundamentals were horrible. I put the game down for a while, but have now decided to recommit to it by playing left-handed (my natural side). I took some lessons to get the set-up down, but now it's a matter of putting in the time either on the range or the course. I've only played four times this year, but am making a point to go to the range once a week. My best score is a 95, but I feel my fundamentals are solid enough to break 90 before summer's end.

Like Kiwi, I slip into periods of great frustration and wonder if I'd be better off just hanging it up for good (or at least until the kids are grown). Time definitely isn't something I'm flush with at this point in my life, so I guess I can't expect miracles with the limited amount I put into the game.[/QUOTE]

Buddha............switching from right to left handed? Sheeeooot, if I tried that I'd either hurt myself or somebody else. You're talking a coordination I will NEVER know. Good luck with it.
  • 07-14-2012
    hubijerk
    [QUOTE=jmtbkr;276668]Yeah, what a funny place to talk MTB. You should check into Francois' baby, MTBR. But I'm sure you already have :)

I own a Turner 5spot and ride it 2-3X a week on our local loops. So I get in about 20mi at a time. [B]Of course, here on long island its really trail riding.[/B] The other 2 days are on the road bike - Voodoo 853 steel w/ carbon stays. I average 35mi each ride.

The other 3 days are golf. Monday, Wednesday are afterwork leagues and Saturday morning is 18 with the buds. Occasionally I will hit the range. I really need to set up a tripod w/camera to video my swing to analyze it. Thats the engineer in me.[/QUOTE]

Ever been to Plattekill? I used to race there quite a bit, there wasn't a single time I rode there where someone wasn't carted off in an abulance or airlifted out...
  • 07-14-2012
    spanqdoggie
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276692]Ever been to Plattekill? I used to race there quite a bit, there wasn't a single time I rode there where someone wasn't carted off in an abulance or airlifted out...[/QUOTE]

Don't talk sh!t here about mountain bike riding; I would kick your ass at it. I was riding Mt. Tam 25 years ago in the prime of Mt. Tam; try riding a straight down single track with a pipe running three inches above the ground right in the middle; the Pipe Trail. I would still kick your ass at it, and running 10 miles; I need to stop as I wish to remain anonymous...

Try riding Mt. Tamalpais at night with cops chasing you trying to give you tickets... Jackass, you ain't got nothing on me, and I have never bragged about my bike sponserships, shows, autographs, national magazines, or a book being written about me on the subject...

How many centuries have you done (entirely different sport)?

Retard.

Chill out on the mountain bike crap and go to mtbr.com you retard... Well, I need to remain anonymous, here, so I can't go into much detail about me, but don't act like you know how to ride a bike...

B!tch I was was snowboarding at South Lake Tahoe for years with pros...None of this I have ever mentioned before on this forum; Sooner will attest. So kiss my ass. Unless you had a couple beers in you, then all is forgiven...

You insult me as a small fish in a large pond.

On the other hand I like your work ethic and you're a better golfer than I can ever be... I understand the work ethic; has to be every day, all day... and it is fun for those of us with the personality to do it... slightly insane...

Throw on some gloves and I would kick your ass son.

Bragging about anything really pisses me off, and as anyone knows here, I have never bragged about anything but kicking ass.

spank
  • 07-14-2012
    hubijerk
    1 Attachment(s)
    I like you spank,
    I never claimed to be the baddest biker, or T-Rice on a board, but I can hold my own... I've done around 20 centuries, 5 triathlons and an Xterra, never came close to winning any of them, as boxing goes I was ok but honestly I just wanted to be able to fight back against the kids who picked on me as I was a sick kid, you may very well kick my ass, but you'd have to knock me out or kill me before I'd stop coming after you, but I'm not one to back down from some friendly sparring... at ay rate my intention wasn't to brag, just to elaborate on cross training that I think helps golf... Though you wish to remain anonymous, I don't need to, no ones asking for my autograph... If I can figure out how to I'll post a pic so you can see exactly who you're referring to as a retarded jackass... As I have done many retarded things, and as I also rode the short bus for 1 year in middle school your assumption is verified, however I am in fact a Libertarian and not a democrat you rim jobbing blumpkin trolling ass hat from San Fran Sicko... By the way, if I'm on here I'm most likely drunk...
  • 07-15-2012
    12sandwich
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276695]I like you spank,
    I never claimed to be the baddest biker, or T-Rice on a board, but I can hold my own... I've done around 20 centuries, 5 triathlons and an Xterra, never came close to winning any of them, as boxing goes I was ok but honestly I just wanted to be able to fight back against the kids who picked on me as I was a sick kid, you may very well kick my ass, but you'd have to knock me out or kill me before I'd stop coming after you, but I'm not one to back down from some friendly sparring... at ay rate my intention wasn't to brag, just to elaborate on cross training that I think helps golf... Though you wish to remain anonymous, I don't need to, no ones asking for my autograph... If I can figure out how to I'll post a pic so you can see exactly who you're referring to as a retarded jackass... As I have done many retarded things, and as I also rode the short bus for 1 year in middle school your assumption is verified, however I am in fact a Libertarian and not a democrat you rim jobbing blumpkin trolling ass hat from San Fran Sicko... By the way, if I'm on here I'm most likely drunk...[/QUOTE]

Looks like you lost half your front fork on the last ride with your cannondale.
    You guys would kick my @ss on anything over 4-5 miles. But I,m good out of the gate, cause I would try and knock you over.
  • 07-15-2012
    Pky6471
    [QUOTE=SoonerBS;276664][B]We are never satisfied with our golf games.[/B] Only a couple of years ago I was always saying to myself, "If I can just start breaking 80, I'll be satisfied with my game." That was bullsh!t. I am breaking 80 consistently now, but I want to be down around par golf.[/QUOTE]

not any difference than we always want a longer drive... absolutely nothing wrong with it... the minute that I have no desire to improve then I will switch to bowling where higher scores mean better
  • 07-15-2012
    12sandwich
    [QUOTE=jmtbkr;276668]Yeah, what a funny place to talk MTB. You should check into Francois' baby, MTBR. But I'm sure you already have :)

I own a Turner 5spot and ride it 2-3X a week on our local loops. So I get in about 20mi at a time. Of course, here on long island its really trail riding. The other 2 days are on the road bike - Voodoo 853 steel w/ carbon stays. I average 35mi each ride.

The other 3 days are golf. Monday, Wednesday are afterwork leagues and Saturday morning is 18 with the buds. Occasionally I will hit the range. I really need to set up a tripod w/camera to video my swing to analyze it. Thats the engineer in me.[/QUOTE]

I bought my pos gt in 99 or 2000. Found Francois site around the same time. Wandered over here and read the trash now and then.
    I,ve had my i drive longer then my current wife. We used to do 10 mile singletrack loops, and some 25 mile lake ride loops, or downtown Chicago on the lakefront was kind of cool.
    I need to get back into 3-4 miles a couple times a day. I fell out of it over the last few years.
  • 07-15-2012
    12sandwich
    [QUOTE=spanqdoggie;276694]Don't talk sh!t here about mountain bike riding; I would kick your ass at it. I was riding Mt. Tam 25 years ago in the prime of Mt. Tam; try riding a straight down single track with a pipe running three inches above the ground right in the middle; the Pipe Trail. I would still kick your ass at it, and running 10 miles; I need to stop as I wish to remain anonymous...

Try riding Mt. Tamalpais at night with cops chasing you trying to give you tickets... Jackass, you ain't got nothing on me, and I have never bragged about my bike sponserships, shows, autographs, national magazines, or a book being written about me on the subject...

How many centuries have you done (entirely different sport)?

Retard.

Chill out on the mountain bike crap and go to mtbr.com you retard... Well, I need to remain anonymous, here, so I can't go into much detail about me, but don't act like you know how to ride a bike...

B!tch I was was snowboarding at South Lake Tahoe for years with pros...None of this I have ever mentioned before on this forum; Sooner will attest. So kiss my ass. Unless you had a couple beers in you, then all is forgiven...

You insult me as a small fish in a large pond.

On the other hand I like your work ethic and you're a better golfer than I can ever be... I understand the work ethic; has to be every day, all day... and it is fun for those of us with the personality to do it... slightly insane...

Throw on some gloves and I would kick your ass son.

Bragging about anything really pisses me off, and as anyone knows here, I have never bragged about anything but kicking ass.

spank[/QUOTE]

One of my ex employees, still a friend, could have went pro, but he was lazy. This guy was crazy going downhill, pedaled like hell, jumped everything in his path. BMX trophys up his @ss Unbelievable natural talent. Fun to ride with
    7;20 tee time gotta go Pd Dyes Mystic links front, woods back.
  • 07-15-2012
    jmtbkr
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276692]Ever been to Plattekill? I used to race there quite a bit, there wasn't a single time I rode there where someone wasn't carted off in an abulance or airlifted out...[/QUOTE]

Been there a few times to ride the trails off the top and watch the festivities. That place is crazy.
    We usually do an annual road trip to Hunter and ride the downhill stuff there. They've done alot of stunt work over the years. I usually go out to Diablo in Jersey every other month. There, a rental is in order as my bike just can't even handle the xc stuff!! I'm liking the new DWlink DH frames lately.
  • 07-15-2012
    poe4soul
    My work ethic is strong. I work 60+ hours a week managing my own business. I limited my golf addiction to a couple of practice sessions a week an 18 to 36 holes on a week. If i had less of a work ethic i would golf everyday.
  • 07-15-2012
    spanqdoggie
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276695]I like you spank,
    I never claimed to be the baddest biker, or T-Rice on a board, but I can hold my own... I've done around 20 centuries, 5 triathlons and an Xterra, never came close to winning any of them, as boxing goes I was ok but honestly I just wanted to be able to fight back against the kids who picked on me as I was a sick kid, you may very well kick my ass, but you'd have to knock me out or kill me before I'd stop coming after you, but I'm not one to back down from some friendly sparring... at ay rate my intention wasn't to brag, just to elaborate on cross training that I think helps golf... Though you wish to remain anonymous, I don't need to, no ones asking for my autograph... If I can figure out how to I'll post a pic so you can see exactly who you're referring to as a retarded jackass... As I have done many retarded things, and as I also rode the short bus for 1 year in middle school your assumption is verified, however I am in fact a Libertarian and not a democrat you rim jobbing blumpkin [B]trolling ass hat from San Fran Sicko.[/B].. By the way, if I'm on here I'm most likely drunk...[/QUOTE]

Haha! Yeah! True, I trolled you out.

You look good dude. Keep up the good work.

I would never fight you. ... I am too old to fight fair anyway... I always have a sheetrock saw close by, but not for you, of course. ;-)

I like you too (no H0M0))

spank

p.s. sheetrock saw below (apparently some do not know what one is)

[IMG]http://www.drywall-tools.org/drywall-saw.gif[/IMG]
  • 07-15-2012
    hubijerk
    [QUOTE=poe4soul;276709]My work ethic is strong. I work 60+ hours a week managing my own business. I limited my golf addiction to a couple of practice sessions a week an 18 to 36 holes on a week. If i had less of a work ethic i would golf everyday.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, it's the old "I'd rather win at life excuse"

What kind of work do you do? Can I have a job?
  • 07-16-2012
    hubijerk
    [QUOTE=spanqdoggie;276710]Haha! Yeah! True, I trolled you out.

You look good dude. Keep up the good work.

I would never fight you. ... I am too old to fight fair anyway... I always have a sheetrock saw close by, but not for you, of course. ;-)

I like you too (no H0M0))

spank

p.s. sheetrock saw below (apparently some do not know what one is)

[IMG]http://www.drywall-tools.org/drywall-saw.gif[/IMG][/QUOTE]

A.) Thank's for clarifying the no H0m0, you never know with San Francisco peeps, and;

B.) Hopefully I've inspired some people to look up Blumkin in the Urban Dictionary, especially the variations: Blumkin on the rocks, Porto-Blumkin, etc... It's an underused/undervalued term IMHO.
  • 07-16-2012
    hubijerk
    [QUOTE=12sandwich;276696][B]Looks like you lost half your front fork on the last ride with your cannondale. [/B]
    You guys would kick my @ss on anything over 4-5 miles. But I,m good out of the gate, cause I would try and knock you over.[/QUOTE]

I get that alot....
  • 07-16-2012
    spanqdoggie
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276714]A.) Thank's for clarifying the no H0m0, you never know with San Francisco peeps, and;

B.) Hopefully I've inspired some people to look up Blumkin in the Urban Dictionary, especially the variations: Blumkin on the rocks, Porto-Blumkin, etc... It's an underused/undervalued term IMHO.[/QUOTE]

Just as an FYI...

Golf review has a long time honored tradition of never disrespecting someone that posts their picture up on dis' biatch....

Seriously, it is a GR rule.

So, basically you have our respect now and forever...

Even if you golfed and posted an honest photo of yourself as a golf midget, you would get mad respect...

This is why we respect Dorkman; he posted a photo of himself years ago,and he has our respect forever.

(closely guarded, but well known GR secret)

Dorkman below...

[IMG]http://www.mrbojumbles.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/MIdget-golf-296x400.jpg[/IMG]
  • 07-16-2012
    poe4soul
    [QUOTE=hubijerk;276711]Ahh, it's the old "I'd rather win at life excuse"

What kind of work do you do? Can I have a job?[/QUOTE]

Not an excuse. When I was about 19 I took a little trip and came to the realization that chasing physical fantasies, while fun, usually resulted in lost time. So, I went to school, got a trade and became a land surveyor. I've been doing since. I've owned my business for 10 years this next winter.

I was very competitive in soccer and baseball. Stopped baseball in high school. The HS coach was a total DB. (Probably owe the realization to him. He was a idiot jock with lots of muscles. Many girlfriends but lost.) Continued playing soccer and got offered a small scholarship to a university but decided not to go for it. I was good but not in the top 100 or anything.

But honestly, for me it's my age. I'm 45. What chance would I have chasing a senior tour or some shiat? So, I play for fun. I compete locally and usually give my money to some flat belly kid for gross and some hacker sandbag for net.

I do miss the competition. I wish there was a better competitive league in Portland. The only reason I've thought about joining a CC is for the competition.
  • 07-16-2012
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=poe4soul;276727]Not an excuse. When I was about 19 I took a little trip and came to the realization that chasing physical fantasies, while fun, usually resulted in lost time. So, I went to school, got a trade and became a land surveyor. I've been doing since. I've owned my business for 10 years this next winter.

I was very competitive in soccer and baseball. Stopped baseball in high school. The HS coach was a total DB. (Probably owe the realization to him. He was a idiot jock with lots of muscles. Many girlfriends but lost.) Continued playing soccer and got offered a small scholarship to a university but decided not to go for it. I was good but not in the top 100 or anything.

But honestly, for me it's my age. I'm 45. What chance would I have chasing a senior tour or some shiat? So, I play for fun. I compete locally and usually give my money to some flat belly kid for gross and some hacker sandbag for net.

I do miss the competition. I wish there was a better competitive league in Portland. The only reason I've thought about joining a CC is for the competition.[/QUOTE]

Yes, you are in a tough spot with an honest handicap between 3 and 10. Not good enough for gross, not bad enough for net.
    It's the same situation I'm in. My favorite part about my cc is the competitions. Most of the sanctioned events are handicapped, but there are some flighted tourneys as well. We do have sandbaggers, but probably not as many as the people who show up at public competitions. Our baggers have to see the golfers they steal from all throughout the year. It takes special kind of assshole to sandbag consistently at a cc.
  • 07-16-2012
    CPS
    [QUOTE=Horseballs;276733]Yes, you are in a tough spot with an honest handicap between 3 and 10. Not good enough for gross, not bad enough for net.
    It's the same situation I'm in. My favorite part about my cc is the competitions. Most of the sanctioned events are handicapped, but there are some flighted tourneys as well. We do have sandbaggers, but probably not as many as the people who show up at public competitions. Our baggers have to see the golfers they steal from all throughout the year. It takes special kind of assshole to sandbag consistently at a cc.[/QUOTE]

What really pisses me off about golf is how I can get into zones of practice routines, concentration, and heavy play yet never break 80. Then after weeks of inaction, I'll get a random call, go to a course I've never played, not warm up, not hit balls, not even putt... and I drop a 77.

This shiit doesn't happen with cycling. After a winter lay off you see obvious progress. From a 25-mile ride to a 35 to a 45. Your average speed rises 15.5 MPH to 16.0 to 16.5... you clime easier... you breath lighter... like most sports, you improve with numeric results.

Golf? I still don't get it...
  • 07-16-2012
    Kiwi Player
    [QUOTE=CPS;276781]What really pisses me off about golf is how I can get into zones of practice routines, concentration, and heavy play yet never break 80. Then after weeks of inaction, I'll get a random call, go to a course I've never played, not warm up, not hit balls, not even putt... and I drop a 77.

This shiit doesn't happen with cycling. After a winter lay off you see obvious progress. From a 25-mile ride to a 35 to a 45. Your average speed rises 15.5 MPH to 16.0 to 16.5... you clime easier... you breath lighter... like most sports, you improve with numeric results.

Golf? I still don't get it...[/QUOTE]

Great post. Sums up golf perfectly. The other aspect is that you are really playing against yourself and the golf course so your results should be reasonably consistent. The course is pretty much the same apart from variations in weather conditions. When I used to play tennis one week I would play and win and the following week I might lose. Did I play worse or was my opponent just a stronger player? There were certain guys I would beat all the time, others I would always lose to and others where it could go either way depending who plays best on the day.

In golf it's all about how you play on the day as the opponent never changes.
  • 07-16-2012
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=CPS;276781]What really pisses me off about golf is how I can get into zones of practice routines, concentration, and heavy play yet never break 80. Then after weeks of inaction, I'll get a random call, go to a course I've never played, not warm up, not hit balls, not even putt... and I drop a 77.

Golf? I still don't get it...[/QUOTE]

It is weird and wouldn't it be great if we could figure out what gets us into a position to be in the zone? Part of it is diminished expectations and less pressure put on yourself. I find that I sometimes play great golf if I have a cold or have laid off for awhile.

Even in running and cycling I think people get into zones. I used to run and some days I'd feel like I'm just flying along easily and a couple days later it's a struggle. Cycling is probably the same.

One thing I've come to believe about guys on the PGA Tour is that they think differently than guys like us, and differently than guys even on mini tours.

When I play in a tournament, things come into my mind that aren't there in a casual round. I see trouble that is ridiculously far away and try to play safe. The result is a mechanical swing and the very thing I was avoiding comes into play. Strangely enough, putting is where it's the worst. I get concerned over hitting it too far past the hole on my first putt and I tend to hit putts that really have no chance of going in and miss short. Sometimes leaving a 5 footer. But, then again, you have to be careful.
  • 07-16-2012
    hubijerk
    I'm always trying to figure it out too, when I rode I had my pre ride meal/routine down to a science... I remember I'd eat the same thing, at the same time, drink the same stuff, when I did something different I wasn't the same... I try to pay attention to little stuff, like today, I spent 3 hours practicing bunker shots and putting, the last few days I hit the gym harder and my back is tired and sore... I didn't play as well when I went out today, just a little off, not huge, but the wind was really blowing and made me pay, most likely due to the changes in my routine, I also ran out of my vitamin drink mix that I like to sip while I play and I don't feel that I was as sharp mentally.. Whether you follow Bradley Wiggins, or Tiger, or Roger Federer the day of contests I'd be willing to bet you could set your watch to their routine, when I'm getting ready for something I'm obsessive about all of it, to the point where I start to panic slightly if something isn't in order, I'd have to guess that those guys are even more so than I am, even John Daly was obsessive with his routine, if you roll back the tape to his open win you can clearly identify an obsessive ratio of 4 cigarettes to 1 chocolate chip muffin per 3 holes and a sip of whiskey at each par 3... that kind of consistency takes practice and a painful attention to detail, finely tuned athletes.

I find the more I play and practice the bolder I get with shot's, if I'm coming off a layoff I'm more apt to play what the course gives me and usually avoid the big stinker.
  • 07-17-2012
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;276803]It is weird and wouldn't it be great if we could figure out what gets us into a position to be in the zone? [B]Part of it is diminished expectations and less pressure put on yourself.[/B] I find that I sometimes play great golf if I have a cold or have laid off for awhile.

Even in running and cycling I think people get into zones. I used to run and some days I'd feel like I'm just flying along easily and a couple days later it's a struggle. Cycling is probably the same.

One thing I've come to believe about guys on the PGA Tour is that they think differently than guys like us, and differently than guys even on mini tours.

When I play in a tournament, things come into my mind that aren't there in a casual round. I see trouble that is ridiculously far away and try to play safe. The result is a mechanical swing and the very thing I was avoiding comes into play. Strangely enough, putting is where it's the worst. I get concerned over hitting it too far past the hole on my first putt and I tend to hit putts that really have no chance of going in and miss short. Sometimes leaving a 5 footer. But, then again, you have to be careful.[/QUOTE]

This statement is spot on. More than once I have had the same type of experience on the course.
    Prior to going away with golfing mates on trips I have been playing ok and capable of going down a shot with a good score playing in my clubs competitions. (I want to keep the higher cap on the trip against my higher cap mates) I never sandbag, but in that situation I don't mind at all if I have a pretty average round or muck up some holes as I often do on a Saturday. I have virtually parred the course more than a couple of tmes in this situation. As soon as I don't care if I play well or not I shoot the lights out. That tells me that our own expectations and desire to excel can be our worst enemy.
  • 07-17-2012
    Horseballs
    Golf is definitely a strange animal. Several times I've had great stretches of a couple weeks where I play great, thinking I've reached a new level. Not necessarily that I'm out shooting under par, but more like my bad rounds are still in the 70's and my good rounds are near par. Then a week will go by, and all of the sudden I can't find the fairway, hit poor irons, etc.
    I've also had rounds where I'm sore from a workout (or hungover), show up to the course at the last minute, and shoot under my cap.
    With running and biking, I always knew to some degree if my times were going to be good. That seems to be more controllable as to how you prepare 48 hours beforehand.
    In golf, I tend to play better in matchplay. It forces you to focus on the present. In stroke play, I play math games in my head, whether I'm playing well or poorly. I'll be standing on the 10th tee, mentally giving myself pars and birdies while thinking about how I need to par #13.
  • 07-17-2012
    poe4soul
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;276803]It is weird and wouldn't it be great if we could figure out what gets us into a position to be in the zone? [B]Part of it is diminished expectations and less pressure put on yourself.[/B] I find that I sometimes play great golf if I have a cold or have laid off for awhile.

When I play in a tournament, things come into my mind that aren't there in a casual round. I see trouble that is ridiculously far away and try to play safe. The result is a mechanical swing and the very thing I was avoiding comes into play. Strangely enough, putting is where it's the worst. I get concerned over hitting it too far past the hole on my first putt and I tend to hit putts that really have no chance of going in and miss short. Sometimes leaving a 5 footer. But, then again, you have to be careful.[/QUOTE]

This is true on the Tour as well. Coming down the stretch you'll see guys start to get tense or their adrenalin gets jacked up. Sure they have more experience controlling it but it's still there for most of the rank and file pro's.

You'll also hear of Pro's with reputations of being able to go low. There's a certain mental trick to believing either you're capable of posting a low number or just don't care and ride the wave as long as they can.