Forged irons help?

Printable View

• 10-06-2008
    Pkgolfer
    Forged irons help?
    I am a mid handicapper and have been playing serious golf for about a year. Right now i am playing with Taylor Made RAC OS2's and am looking to switch to a more workable and playable club. I have hit Mizzy Mp 57's and Mp 60's and taken a few swings with Taylormade R7 tp's at golf smith. I liked those. DO you have any other suggestions. How about Mp 32's and 67's? To hard too hit?
  • 10-06-2008
    Horseballs
    I you go through an authorized Mizuno dealer, you can customize your set. For example,
    3-5 iron MX25's
    6-8 iron MP60's
    9-PW iron MP67's
    I bought mine through a dealer online and could probably dig up his info if you'd like.
  • 10-06-2008
    Pkgolfer
    thats sick. ill definatlly look into that. maybe

mp 57 4-7
    mp 67 8-PW
  • 10-06-2008
    Pkgolfer
    how about the Titleist ZB Blend. A kid on my golf team has them. How would they compare to the mizzy's?
  • 10-06-2008
    TmacG
    [QUOTE=Pkgolfer]how about the Titleist ZB Blend. A kid on my golf team has them. How would they compare to the mizzy's?[/QUOTE]
    I dont have the blended set but the all blade set. I love them but you can't go wrong with a set of GFF mizzy's. Its all about the personal preference and how you want to be seen on the forums. Personally I'm not too worried about the emotional abuse that many people take during their time here so I play what I want. I would recommend the Blended set of Titleist's as they are extremely workable yet forgiving as well. They are pretty pricey(same as a set of mizzy's but worth it). Just try as many sets as you can and you can make your decision from there.

Tmac
  • 10-06-2008
    bigpun1974
    Find some demo days and hit everything out there, that is how I settled on my irons.
  • 10-07-2008
    The Don
    I have Mizzy MP-60's, a little easier to hit than the 32s, not really tougher to hit than 57s. If you're a mid-handicapper, I'd probably mix up a set at most, even though that's typically a little more expensive. Great deals on MP-60's right now on ebay; just check seller/verify serial numbers with Mizuno. If necessary get a 23 degree Fli-Hi CLK to replace 4 iron...
  • 10-07-2008
    Pkgolfer
    yah. ive been checking out ebay. any one have experience with Callaway X forged? How do they compare?
  • 10-07-2008
    bigpun1974
    The X forged is a solid club. Pretty forgiving and workable. A little harsher feel than my MP-32s and I did not care for the topline, but that is just my opinion.
  • 10-07-2008
    dorkman53
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]I you go through an authorized Mizuno dealer, you can customize your set. For example,
    3-5 iron MX25's
    6-8 iron MP60's
    9-PW iron MP67's
    I bought mine through a dealer online and could probably dig up his info if you'd like.[/QUOTE]
    Absolutely. A mixed set is a very good option. Sure, I play cavity backs in the irons, but my wedges are basically muscle back blades. It is far easier to control a club with a shorter shaft and a more vertical lie angle, so frankly anything shorter a 7 or 8 iron might as well be a blade anyway. I've had some "mixed sets" like the Hogan FTX's within the past few years. They were good performers, and I never missed the forgiveness of the cavity back in the shorter irons and PW anyway.
  • 10-07-2008
    Belly
    [QUOTE=Pkgolfer]yah. ive been checking out ebay. any one have experience with Callaway X forged? How do they compare?[/QUOTE]

I play the X forged and am very happy with them. For me they have just the right workability and forgivness with a nice forged feel. As a mid capper you may want to give them a shot.

What do you consider a mid capper? I am a 9 and these are perfect for me.
  • 10-08-2008
    Pky6471
    A mixed set of irons sounds like an interesting concept.. no I have not tried it, but I can see how it may work well for someone
  • 10-08-2008
    Not a hacker
    One of the other big advantages of forged clubs is that you don't have to buy them brand new to get them custom fitted if you are on a budget or aren't sure enough to shell out the big bucks for a new set. Forged irons can be adjusted so if you get a set second hand set you don't have to worry about lie angle or loft, just make sure they have the correct length and flex in the shafts. It's pretty cheap to get a pro to change the lofts and lies, at my club he charges $5 per club. It's just a cheaper way to get into a custom fitted set of quality irons.

As for getting a mixed set, some people on this forum may try to tell you to go for a hybrid instead of a 3 or even a 4 iron. Enough has been said about these types on this forum for me to re-hash it. Suffice to say they and their iopinions are not to be taken seriously.
  • 10-08-2008
    ripit35
    if you have a Golfsmith store nearby, try out the Snake Eyes forged irons. They make the best quality component equipment out there. The blades and cavities are designed to be mixed together as well. You can get a high quality set of irons for under $400, just don't base your decision on hype.
  • 10-08-2008
    TmacG
    [QUOTE=ripit35]if you have a Golfsmith store nearby, try out the [B]Snake Eyes [/B]forged irons. [B]They make the best quality component equipment out there[/B]. The blades and cavities are designed to be mixed together as well. You can get a high quality set of irons for under $400, just don't base your decision on hype.[/QUOTE]
    No.

Tmac
  • 10-08-2008
    jesse.day
    You should probably add MP33's to your list unless you've already hit them and ruled them out.
  • 10-09-2008
    The Don
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]One of the other big advantages of forged clubs is that you don't have to buy them brand new to get them custom fitted if you are on a budget or aren't sure enough to shell out the big bucks for a new set. Forged irons can be adjusted so if you get a set second hand set you don't have to worry about lie angle or loft, just make sure they have the correct length and flex in the shafts. It's pretty cheap to get a pro to change the lofts and lies, at my club he charges $5 per club. It's just a cheaper way to get into a custom fitted set of quality irons.

As for getting a mixed set, some people on this forum may try to tell you to go for a hybrid instead of a 3 or even a 4 iron. Enough has been said about these types on this forum for me to re-hash it. Suffice to say they and their iopinions are not to be taken seriously.[/QUOTE]

Agree with customizing; I got a set of very lightly used Mp-60s for $230 on ebay, and changed/checked the lofts/lies and regripped them. Feel like nearly new custom clubs.

As for the comment about hybrids/taking people seriously, that's a perfect example of someone waving his member. [I]Nothing [/I]on the [I]interwebs [/I]is absolute; base your decisions on how/why you score what you score and the courses you play.
  • 10-09-2008
    dorkman53
    [QUOTE=The Don]Agree with customizing; I got a set of very lightly used Mp-60s for $230 on ebay, and changed/checked the lofts/lies and regripped them. Feel like nearly new custom clubs.

As for the comment about hybrids/taking people seriously, that's a perfect example of someone waving his member. [I]Nothing [/I]on the [I]interwebs [/I]is absolute; base your decisions on how/why you score what you score and the courses you play.[/QUOTE]
    How wrong can you be?! When you're in a peeing for distance contest on the anonymous internet, there can be no room for deviation from the orthodoxy of the mullahs on the board.........
  • 10-09-2008
    The Don
    [QUOTE=dorkman53]How wrong can you be?! When you're in a peeing for distance contest on the anonymous internet, there can be no room for deviation from the orthodoxy of the mullahs on the board.........[/QUOTE] OMG! You used the term "mullah" and some other words with more than 3 syllables...Why do you hate 'merica?
  • 10-10-2008
    bluedevilking1891
    Titleist AP2's or Cobra Carbon CB's are hot if you have the money
  • 10-11-2008
    Not a hacker
    Lighten up guys. I couldn't keep my post completely serious. This is GR you know.

Back to topic, rupit's suggestion has some merrit, but if you don't like em it's alot of money down the toilet as you won't get any resale value on second hand Snake eyes. If you get second hand MIzzy's and decide they aren't for you you will recoup most of your money on ebay. I still think getting second hand Mizzy's and having them customized is the way to go for somebodt who isn't absolutely sure about getting blades.