How long do irons last?

Printable View

• 09-28-2005
    wei_c25
    How long do irons last?
    If someone were to buy a quality brand new set of iron today, how long should they expect to play them before they should consider upgrading to another new set? 5 years? Ten years?

I'm sure they could work for 50 years, but is there a general sense of how fast new technology makes clubs obsolete? Kind of like computers and how you should upgrade every few years.

Comments on drivers, woods, and putters would be appreciated as well.
  • 09-28-2005
    swvaguy
    You could certainly buy a set of irons today and play with them for the rest of your life. As your game improved, you'd be better able to use all the positives of the club and avoid the negatives, regardless of the brand, make or model. At most, you might re-shaft it, but otherwise just change the grips and keep on striking. Most people don't like to do that, though. If you want to evolve your clubs along with your game, I'd look at the number of strokes, not the number of years. Buy a 'beginner' set, then change when you break 90 consistently. If you break 80 consistently, then change again. Or... just do it with the same clubs. It's more personal preference than anything, although the club ho's, err, enthusiasts will disagree.

As for the evolution of clubs? In the last two decades, drivers have changed the most. Then putters, then irons, with the whole cavity-back phenomenon. Lastly, fairway woods, which are just in the last five years being addressed. The most recent improvements made on clubs, those in the last five years or so, are more about going from 96% of the way to the 'perfect' club to 97/98% of the 'perfect' club. Unless you're a single digit handicapper, your swing affects the club's performance more than the design of the club. That's why you could buy a good set of clubs from a dozen different manufacturers these days and use them your whole life. There are really many different 'great' clubs out there, and it boils down more to personal choice than anything. But you could easily buy quality clubs these days, even those that are 3-4 years old from ebay, and be good from here on out.
  • 09-28-2005
    Brent Nadeau
    That would depend on how often you stap them across your knees, and how dep the part of the pond you threw them into is...

Assuming the legal COR stays the same, any set that meets that standard while allowing you to accomplish your desired results should do. I can't forsee me ever needing to buy new irons (barring some prick ripping them off, or some other mishap, that is). That does not mean I won't, but I don't think I'll need to. IF you consider blades the epitome of ability/reward, then I guess you would stop there once you've reached that level. There have been great advances in the tech side of things in the past decade, so I guess you'll just have to wait to see where it goes and weigh your options against what you have at the time, and what you feel are its limitations and benefits.
  • 09-28-2005
    LBCGolf
    [QUOTE=Brent Nadeau]That would depend on how often you stap them across your knees, and how dep the part of the pond you threw them into is...

Assuming the legal COR...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, what Brent said.

If you throw 1 iron a round into the pond, you will need to replace your irons (including wedges) once every 10 rounds, 11 if you also carry a 2 iron, 8 or 9 if you replaced your 3 and 4 with hybrids.

I didn't know they measured COR in irons. Is that new? ;)
  • 09-28-2005
    Brent Nadeau
    I believe they do..as far as I know the even measure it in putters, but I am not certain...I know there are standards they have to meet, although maybe it is the grooves with the irons. I'll have to check it out.
  • 09-29-2005
    whackfore
    I got 3 sets.
    Beginner.. 100+
    I rewarded myself to Tourstage for low 90's, I got the mp32's just for the sake of it... love it looks and even better the feel. I love playing with the mp32 than my tourstage because I seem to play better. I dont think I'll buy another set.
    putter. hmmmm now thats a ????? almost end up in the pond I hate 3/4 putts.
    I truelly believe everyone should have 2 sets of different manufacturer, therefore... if you're not playing well you can play with another set and not feel bad and go shopping for another club.
    I wish life was a bit like that... when you arent happy with your wife/girlfriend you can see the other girl. Thats why I like golf.. there's always an option.
    Cheers.
  • 09-29-2005
    imbiber
    I'm still playing with the set I bought brand new in "97. Callaway X-12s.