• 12-19-2004
    midnight
    Comment on Callaway HeavenWood 3H ( utility)
    Dear all,

Any comment on the Callaway Heavenwood 3 H ( 20)? I am going to use it to replace my 3 and 5 Wood. Anyone use it and have comment on it?

Thank you
  • 12-19-2004
    gt77
    it looks like a decent callaway club but the name seems too quirky (and feminine)
  • 12-19-2004
    kirksey74
    sounds like an Angel from heaven created it to lower your golf scores
  • 12-19-2004
    grazo
    Don't know much about these clubs however am I right in assuming the 20 implies 20 degrees of loft? If so, then it doesn't make sense to have this replace your 3 and 5 woods, as they would be approximately 15 and 18 degrees respectively.

I think the 3 implies that it be a replacement for your 3 iron. If you wanted to replace your 5 wood, the #2 Heavenwood (assuming there is one??) would be your best bet as 2 iron/5 wood lofts are similar.

Hope this helps.
  • 12-19-2004
    dorkman53
    This isn't directly pertinent to your question, but I tried a 14 degree Heavenwood with the firm Uniflex shaft and absolutely hated it. I had two problems with it. First, I'm not as used to low profile fairway woods like Orlimars or Adams, so I found the margin for error between a thin and fat shot very slight. I probably had more bad shots than good shots. Secondly, with the 14 degree club, I was hitting nothing but wormburners. Even very well struck balls had an extremely low trajectory, though they rolled well. Obviously, this problem wouldn't likely accompany a higher lofted Heavenwood. I have absolutely no problem hitting 15 degree 3 woods a very decent trajectory, so I have to feel that it isn't all the Indian; some of it was the arrow. Obviously, the club I tried wasn't suitable for me. If you like relatively low profile woods or hybrids, you might like it. For hybrids, I find the Hogans far easier to hit. Then come in 17, 19, 21, 24, and 27 degrees. To replace a 3 and/or 5 wood, you'd probably be looking at the 17 or 19 degree #1 or #2 Hogans, or similar lofts in other hybrids. The Nickent 3DX's have a lot of fans, too.
  • 12-19-2004
    rockford35
    Have you hit it yet?

I have, I like the feel. (The aforementioned statement should weigh no bearing on your decision).

Go and hit one. If it works, then buy it. If it doesn't, then don't.

R35
  • 12-19-2004
    grazo
    [QUOTE=rockford35]Have you hit it yet?

I have, I like the feel. (The aforementioned statement should weigh no bearing on your decision).

Go and hit one. If it works, then buy it. If it doesn't, then don't.

R35[/QUOTE]

Don't listen to Rock - he is notoriously biased towards Callaway - he carries no other brand in his bag and is paid lots of money to endorse only Callaway products - they pay him twice what they pay Phil!

:D
  • 12-19-2004
    dorkman53
    Phil is going to be PAID to play Callaways??!! What's the world coming to?
  • 12-19-2004
    bdcrowe
    I don't know about the heavenwood, but I play a 15.5*nickent genex, and it has taken the place of my 3 wood. I haven't noticed any issues with its trajectory either, except maybe off of very tight lies.
  • 12-19-2004
    midnight
    Here is the one I refer
    Here is the one I refer to
    [url]http://www.callawaygolf.com/en/clubs/product.aspx?id=hybrids.heavenwood&sFrame=170[/url]
    I am planning to buy the 3H 20° 59° since it had so many good comment on it. Is it a good idea to use it to replace 3 and 5 wood? Any comment are welcome ( As my 3 & 5 wood is quite old now)
  • 12-20-2004
    bdcrowe
    [QUOTE=midnight]Here is the one I refer to
    [url]http://www.callawaygolf.com/en/clubs/product.aspx?id=hybrids.heavenwood&sFrame=170[/url]
    I am planning to buy the 3H 20° 59° since it had so many good comment on it. Is it a good idea to use it to replace 3 and 5 wood? Any comment are welcome ( As my 3 & 5 wood is quite old now)[/QUOTE]
    It depends on what you mean by 3 and 5 wood. Do you mean 3 iron and 5 wood? If so, this loft may fit the bill. If you mean 3 wood and 5 wood, I can't see how this loft would give the same results as a 3 wood. I have replaced my 3 iron and 5 wood with a 22* hybrid. I can control my distance by choking up slightly, and it covers both. I replaced my 3 wood with a 15.5* hybrid and it does well. You know your swing and distances better than us, but a 20* loft hybrid isn't going to give the same distances as a 15* wood that is longer to boot.
  • 12-23-2004
    midnight
    Qns
    [QUOTE=bdcrowe]It depends on what you mean by 3 and 5 wood. Do you mean 3 iron and 5 wood? If so, this loft may fit the bill. If you mean 3 wood and 5 wood, I can't see how this loft would give the same results as a 3 wood. I have replaced my 3 iron and 5 wood with a 22* hybrid. I can control my distance by choking up slightly, and it covers both. I replaced my 3 wood with a 15.5* hybrid and it does well. You know your swing and distances better than us, but a 20* loft hybrid isn't going to give the same distances as a 15* wood that is longer to boot.[/QUOTE]

So a 15.5* will cover the 3 wood
    a 20* will cover 3 iron + 5 wood
    Correct?
  • 12-24-2004
    namvet66
    I have the Heavenwood 3H in my bag, and I can say it is a great club for me. It replaces the 3 iron and I am very happy with it..

My two sons in law and I have a golf game planned for Sunday afternoon, hope we get out of the freezing temps, it is forecast to be 53* Sunday PM.

Happy Holidays everyone and be safe.
  • 12-24-2004
    jc@bg
    Good to hear from you, Namvet. Have a safe and happy holiday, and all the rest of you GRers, too! -- JC

[QUOTE=namvet66]I have the Heavenwood 3H in my bag, and I can say it is a great club for me. It replaces the 3 iron and I am very happy with it..

My two sons in law and I have a golf game planned for Sunday afternoon, hope we get out of the freezing temps, it is forecast to be 53* Sunday PM.

Happy Holidays everyone and be safe.[/QUOTE]
  • 12-25-2004
    Dr Shteeve
    Hybrids
    Can't comment on the Heavenwoods (yet) - since I tend to like Callaway products I do want to try them, although right now I don't really need to replace anything in my bag. I use the (original) Mizuno Fli-Hi - I have 18, 21, and 24 degree, and use at least one, sometimes more, depending on the course and conditions. There is no substitute for hitting a club on the range; either borrow a demo or wait for a demo-day situtation. I wouldn't assume that you want only hybrids to replace your 3 and 5 woods - I find that although my Fli-Hi clubs do have a higher trajectory than the equivalent irons, they have a lower trajectory than the equivalent fairway woods, which means that I tend toward the hybrids when I want to keep the ball down (e.g., windy conditions) or work the ball (MUCH better for working the ball than fairway woods) and tend toward the fairway woods when I want help getting the ball up (e.g., thin lies, wet conditions, etc.).