Need matchplay advice

Printable View

• 06-07-2010
    steviestuboy
    Need matchplay advice
    Hi folks,

Need some thoughts on tactics to beat a steady golfer, heres the story.

I played the two qualifying rounds for the club championship on sat and sun and shot back to back 75's with a bogey bogey finish on sat and a bloody treble bogey 7 finish on sun, so I qualified in 11th(top 16 scratch scores into a knockout) with a 150 total, my scores iam happy with but the way i finished tells me iam a big bottler shitebag.

The problem is i have been drawn against the two time scratch player champ(iam off 6 the now) who plays steady par golf, hes not a big hitter or a birdie machine but hits most fairways and greens in reg, me on the other hand hits almost no fairways and is a scrambler/upn doon kinda player ie 3 under for 5 holes then takes an 8.

So do i pull out the rescue off the tee or gamble with driver at every opp, i know i can beat this guy but dont know the best tactics to use(just back into golf this year after a 7 year shagging and drinking sabbatical.

If he gets a couple of holes ahead at the start he will show me his tail and give me the dog licence(7n6 in old money).

What do you chaps reckon?

ps pish taking and serious replies welcome in equal mesure, i need a laugh cos from now till 5.20 on fri iam going to be shiting myself!
  • 06-07-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=steviestuboy]Hi folks,

I played the two qualifying rounds for the club championship on sat and sun and shot back to back 75's with a bogey bogey finish on sat and a bloody treble bogey 7 finish on sun, so I qualified in 11th(top 16 scratch scores into a knockout) with a 150 total, my scores iam happy with but the way i finished tells me iam a big bottler shitebag.

The problem is i have been drawn against the two time scratch player champ(iam off 6 the now) who plays steady par golf, hes not a big hitter or a birdie machine but hits most fairways and greens in reg, me on the other hand hits almost no fairways and is a scrambler/upn doon kinda player ie 3 under for 5 holes then takes an 8.

So do i pull out the rescue off the tee or gamble with driver at every opp, i know i can beat this guy but dont know the best tactics to use(just back into golf this year after a 7 year shagging and drinking sabbatical.

If he gets a couple of holes ahead at the start he will show me his tail and give me the dog licence(7n6 in old money).

ps pish taking and serious replies welcome in equal mesure, i need a laugh cos from now till 5.20 on fri iam going to be shiting myself![/QUOTE]
    Stevie, if you are the kind of guy who makes a bunch of birdies and has the occasional blow up hole, you should dominate match play.
  • 06-07-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=steviestuboy]Hi folks,

ps pish taking and serious replies welcome in equal mesure, i need a laugh cos from now till 5.20 on fri iam going to be shiting myself![/quote]

I think the best match play strategy is to set out to absolutely destroy your opponent. I think you do this by being smart yet aggressive with your game. Playing safe and taking easy swings never works in match play. It's much better to be aggressive.

The whole idea that you should just play your own game and forget about the match is compeletely stupid. First of all, you can't just play your own game because you have an opponent that may dictate what you need to do on a certain hole.

The best thing you can do is try to beat him on every hole. The worst thing you can do is hope that he won't play well. Act like a man and kick some arse!!!
  • 06-07-2010
    steviestuboy
    Not played matchplay(seriously) for seven years horseballs so i think my nerves could be a HUGE problem, dont know how to go about getting my mental state right for beating this guy, i just cant help thinking he is going to destroy me.

I just dont want to be humiliated.
  • 06-07-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=steviestuboy]Not played matchplay(seriously) for seven years horseballs so i think my nerves could be a HUGE problem, dont know how to go about getting my mental state right for beating this guy, i just cant help thinking he is going to destroy me.

I just dont want to be humiliated.[/QUOTE]
    You've got to be aggressive early. I don't know how it will work for you, but I think it's extremely important to play the first few holes well. You never know how people will react when they get down early. I've had guys completely fall apart.
    Also, if you get down, don't give up. Some people can't finish the deal and are hoping you hand it to them.
    I've got a match on Friday against a fairly decent player. I plan on putting a hurt on the guy early and often. Confidence is key.
  • 06-07-2010
    steviestuboy
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]I think the best match play strategy is to set out to absolutely destroy your opponent. I think you do this by being smart yet aggressive with your game. Playing safe and taking easy swings never works in match play. It's much better to be aggressive.

The whole idea that you should just play your own game and forget about the match is compeletely stupid. First of all, you can't just play your own game because you have an opponent that may dictate what you need to do on a certain hole.

The best thing you can do is try to beat him on every hole. The worst thing you can do is hope that he won't play well. Act like a man and kick some arse!!![/QUOTE]

Iam trying to tell myself i can beat him but at the back of my mind i see his name on the wall!
  • 06-07-2010
    oldplayer
    If you are inclined to choke or don't feel confident in your game it will be hard to win. Your best preparetion is to practice your putting from 5-10 feet as much as you can. This is where the match will be won and lost.
    I disagree with FD for a change. Guys who keep it in play and make few mistakes usually win matches in my experience. Athough they are usually close affairs.
  • 06-07-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Horseballs]You've got to be aggressive early. I don't know how it will work for you, but I think it's extremely important to play the first few holes well. You never know how people will react when they get down early. I've had guys completely fall apart.
    Also, if you get down, don't give up. Some people can't finish the deal and are hoping you hand it to them.
    I've got a match on Friday against a fairly decent player. I plan on putting a hurt on the guy early and often. Confidence is key.[/quote]

I'm not sure I agree it's important to win the first two holes. Look at Sooner vs. Dave match and Dave came back from behind to kick arse. My match was unfair the entire time due to rain, 10 strokes and bad clothing.

It's fine to be nervous. They key is to keep the ball in play and hit the middle of the green. However, the most important key is to be aggressive with your swing. Concentrate on the shot at hand.

Here's another strategy: Before the fist hole, tell yourself that you're positive you're going to lose the first two holes. Just make the assumption you're going to lose them and that you are already two down. Now, when you tee off you won't have any pressure. You'll swing freely and maybe you'll win the first two holes. As you can tell my mind works on a higher level.
  • 06-07-2010
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]I'm not sure I agree it's important to win the first two holes. Look at Sooner vs. Dave match and Dave came back from behind to kick arse. [B] My match was unfair the entire time due to rain, 10 strokes and bad clothing. [/B]
    It's fine to be nervous. They key is to keep the ball in play and hit the middle of the green. However, the most important key is to be aggressive with your swing. Concentrate on the shot at hand.

Here's another strategy: Before the fist hole, tell yourself that you're positive you're going to lose the first two holes. Just make the assumption you're going to lose them and that you are already two down. Now, when you tee off you won't have any pressure. You'll swing freely and maybe you'll win the first two holes. As you can tell my mind works on a higher level.[/QUOTE]

Time to let it go FD. You just had a bad day.
    Bit hard to compare the friendly encounter between Sooner and dave with an actual match fot the club championship.
    BTW I just bought some S59's for a mate of mine. How do you rate them as suitable for a 5-6 marker?
  • 06-07-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=oldplayer]If you are inclined to choke or don't feel confident in your game it will be hard to win. Your best preparetion is to practice your putting from 5-10 feet as much as you can. This is where the match will be won and lost.
    I disagree with FD for a change. Guys who keep it in play and make few mistakes usually win matches in my experience. Athough they are usually close affairs.[/QUOTE]
    I think confidence in matchplay comes with experience. I know I used to be terrible at matchplay. Something like 1-4 in my first 5 matches. It's easy to let your opponent's play dictate your play, but you can't let it take over your thinking. Even if the guy is in great shape on a hole, you can't give up or go for a hero shot because a hole isn't over until the putt drops. Same thing if your opponent is in bad shape. You can't play shots that are out of your comfort zone or feel unnatural. If you would normally go at a pin, go ahead and hit that shot. Who knows, your opponent may see that you play your own game and he may adjust or start pressing. It's not like we're playing against superstars. Everyone will have their demons and it's your job to make them uncomfortable.
  • 06-07-2010
    daveperkins
    Stevie, if your course is short enough to leave the driver in the bag, LEAVE IT IN THE BAG.

Nothing more intimidating than hitting fairways and greens. If you have trouble with that hitting the driver, DON"T hit the driver.

I've been playing a local track that's 6400 or so, not long. I can play the whole thing comfortably without the driver, and that's the way I've been doing it. I'd rather have a five iron to a green than have an 8 iron under a tree, over a bunker, around a lamppost and THEN to the green.

Hitting fairways IS hitting greens, unless you're playing on an endless football pitch.

if the driver puts you at a disadvantage, put the dammed thing away.

IMHO.

/end advice

:-)
  • 06-07-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=oldplayer]Time to let it go FD. You just had a bad day.
    Bit hard to compare the friendly encounter between Sooner and dave with an actual match fot the club championship.
    BTW I just bought some S59's for a mate of mine. How do you rate them as suitable for a 5-6 marker?[/quote]

I'm kidding about the match. I got my arse kicked...I admit it but it's always fun to come up with lame excuses. The S59 irons are great sticks and easily suitable for a 5 handicap. I'm playing the Big Bertha 2002 right now but I'll probably go back to the S59.
  • 06-07-2010
    mongrel
    OK, he's not a big hitter. So discipline yourself to win the match as follows: Let him have the honours early and if its a coin-flip on the first hole and he wins, so much the better. He tees off and you hit whatever it takes to out-drive him by a couple of yards at most. If he sticks it close, gamble on your approach. If his approach leaves a long put or chip off the green, try to stick it inside him but not gamble and risk short-siding yourself. What is his pace of play? If he's a fast player, f&ck up his rhythm by taking your time. If he's slow and methodical, play faster. Stand a bit away facing him and start walking before his head comes up after impact. Do this once or twice and, unless he has the mental toughness of a SEAL, it will be in his head. If his drive is in the fairway and longer than yours, hit your shot and immediately start walking to your ball if the path is not in his shot line, totalling ignoring him as he plays. If he has an unusual swing, don't watch him hit any full shot and just concentrate on your game. Playing a guy like that means you must halve a lot of holes and be patient and not force birdies. If you have a longish or tricky putt and the greens are slick, play for the sure 2 putt if it means a halve and only risk trying to hole it if missing it means a loss of hole which you can't afford. Above all, forget about your medal score 'cause it don't mean merde in a match.
  • 06-07-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=daveperkins]Stevie, if your course is short enough to leave the driver in the bag, LEAVE IT IN THE BAG.

Nothing more intimidating than hitting fairways and greens. If you have trouble with that hitting the driver, DON"T hit the driver.

I've been playing a local track that's 6400 or so, not long. I can play the whole thing comfortably without the driver, and that's the way I've been doing it. I'd rather have a five iron to a green than have an 8 iron under a tree, over a bunker, around a lamppost and THEN to the green.

Hitting fairways IS hitting greens, unless you're playing on an endless football pitch.

if the driver puts you at a disadvantage, put the dammed thing away.

IMHO.

/end advice

:-)[/quote]

I would never tee off with a 3 wood unless driver would go thru the fairway. First of all, the head of a driver is much bigger than that of a 3 wood and is much more forgiving and easier to make solid contact. Most modern 3 woods are 44 inches long. That's only an inch or an inch/half shorter than a driver.

Hit the driver and swing with tempered courage.
  • 06-07-2010
    poe4soul
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]I would never tee off with a 3 wood unless driver would go thru the fairway. First of all, the head of a driver is much bigger than that of a 3 wood and is much more forgiving and easier to make solid contact. Most modern 3 woods are 44 inches long. That's only an inch or an inch/half shorter than a driver.

Hit the driver and swing with tempered courage.[/QUOTE]

You would if you knew GR's match play strategies...
  • 06-08-2010
    Omen2
    IT TOOK TO THE 15TH POST FOR GR MATCHPLAY STRATEGIES TO BE REFERENCED?!!!!

I am ashamed... HB you've made 2-3 posts on here ... has the child tamed you that much?

Omen
  • 06-08-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=Omen2]IT TOOK TO THE 15TH POST FOR GR MATCHPLAY STRATEGIES TO BE REFERENCED?!!!!

I am ashamed... HB you've made 2-3 posts on here ... has the child tamed you that much?

Omen[/QUOTE]
    I don't like to pick the low hanging fruit.
  • 06-08-2010
    Omen2
    as a 6K GRVET are you not responsible for keeping the classics in circulation?

Omen.. perhaps you are right. Maybe it not getting current diatribe appended to it makes its value increase over time... we don't cheapen it.
  • 06-08-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=Omen2]as a 6K GRVET are you not responsible for keeping the classics in circulation?

Omen.. perhaps you are right. Maybe it not getting current diatribe appended to it makes its value increase over time... we don't cheapen it.[/QUOTE]
    That's right, I no longer have any GR responsibilities.
    I believe the classics should be locked down to view only. It would be like finding an ancient civilization in the Andes and decided to live in one of the cave dwellings. Desecration.
  • 06-08-2010
    Not a hacker
    In matchplay it's important to never give up and never think too far ahead, the match isn't over til you shake hands. I've come back from 3 down with 5 to play to win because the other guy took his mind off the job and started thinking about his next match. I also think it's important to make sure you don't give them any easy holes. Play the percentages and make him finish out for every win and every half. Making someone finish off the hole, whether for a win or half, can wear an opponent down. If you keep making them sink putts every hole it's only a matter of time before they miss one. Letting your opponent pick up for a win, or even a half, releases all the pressure.
  • 06-08-2010
    poe4soul
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]In matchplay it's important to never give up and never think too far ahead, the match isn't over til you shake hands. I've come back from 3 down with 5 to play to win because the other guy took his mind off the job and started thinking about his next match. I also think it's important to make sure you don't give them any easy holes. Play the percentages and make him finish out for every win and every half. [B]Making someone finish off the hole, whether for a win or half, can wear an opponent down[/B]. If you keep making them sink putts every hole it's only a matter of time before they miss one. Letting your opponent pick up for a win, or even a half, releases all the pressure.[/QUOTE]

Depends, it can give them confidence if they're making them. Then when it matters they have a history of success to draw upon. Most people will go ahead and putt out the 3 footers but a little needle of "yah, they always go down when the hole is conceded" usually counters any confidence they might have gained. Conceding putts for a half can also come across as confidence that your going to take him. All in all it's a head game and you have to use it as much as possible without being a DB.

I agree with the earlier comment of trying to set the pace of the match. If the player is more comfortable playing fast, slow it down. If a player is super slow you can comment about being behind or quick step him whenever possible. This usually has more affect on us at our level than the pro's.
  • 06-08-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=poe4soul]
    I agree with the earlier comment of trying to set the pace of the match. If the player is more comfortable playing fast, slow it down. If a player is super slow you can comment about being behind or quick step him whenever possible. This usually has more affect on us at our level than the pro's.[/QUOTE]
    I hate the slow play tactic. I can honestly say that works against me.
    Not so much in the fairway, but on the greens. If I'm waiting for the guy to hit an iron shot or tee shot, I won't pull a club until after he's already hit.
  • 06-08-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Not a hacker]In matchplay it's important to never give up and never think too far ahead, the match isn't over til you shake hands. I've come back from 3 down with 5 to play to win because the other guy took his mind off the job and started thinking about his next match. I also think it's important to make sure you don't give them any easy holes. Play the percentages and make him finish out for every win and every half. Making someone finish off the hole, whether for a win or half, can wear an opponent down. If you keep making them sink putts every hole it's only a matter of time before they miss one. Letting your opponent pick up for a win, or even a half, releases all the pressure.[/quote]

Just curious but how do you know the other guy was thinking about his next match? Did he say something like "Well, I kicked your ass now I need to start thinking about this next victim".
  • 06-08-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Horseballs]I hate the slow play tactic. I can honestly say that works against me.
    Not so much in the fairway, but on the greens. If I'm waiting for the guy to hit an iron shot or tee shot, I won't pull a club until after he's already hit.[/quote]

I don't like it if an opponent asks me if a putt is good. If he asks, I say "I'll let you know".
  • 06-08-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]I don't like it if an opponent asks me if a putt is good. If he asks, I say "I'll let you know".[/QUOTE]
    The worst is when your opponent takes forever to put his ballmark down, waiting for you to tell him it's good. It's as if the ballmark has disappeared into some unreachable part of the front pocket. I just tell the guy "Quit beating off and mark your damn ball."
  • 06-08-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Horseballs]The worst is when your opponent takes forever to put his ballmark down, waiting for you to tell him it's good. It's as if the ballmark has disappeared into some unreachable part of the front pocket. I just tell the guy "Quit beating off and mark your damn ball."[/quote]

Some people will do all kinds of idiotic things in a match. The best thing you can do is ignore them. There's really nowhere to go when someone ignores you.
  • 06-08-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]Some people will do all kinds of idiotic things in a match. The best thing you can do is ignore them. There's really nowhere to go when someone ignores you.[/QUOTE]
    Or how about the guy who has to be absolutely 100% correct about who is away? I've had a guy measure distance to the hole with flag sticks from 20 feet off the green with our balls no where near each other.
    Or the guy who needs to call the proshop for rulings on routine stuff like dropping away from a cart path or OB?
    Or the guy who always asks you to move your mark, even when you aren't within 3 feet of his intended putting line? It's like he's looking to catch you not replacing it.
  • 06-08-2010
    poe4soul
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]Some people will do all kinds of idiotic things in a match. The best thing you can do is ignore them. There's really nowhere to go when someone ignores you.[/QUOTE]

I honestly just play my game. If I win I win, it has nothing to do with any tactic or mind game. The only one I really employ is when to concede a hole. You have to read your opponent to know rather conceding is better or making him fight for every hole. I personally rise to occasions. If you give me a reason to want to kick your butt I'll bring the best game I have. Be a dick and I'll do my best to show you up. If you lay back and are a normal Joe and act like a respectable person I'll play to win but I probably won't grind it out as hard as I would if you were a jerk. But others fold if you are a jerk. You have to read your opponent. If you've played with them before it's easier. If you haven't it can be a crapshoot.
  • 06-08-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=poe4soul]I honestly just play my game. If I win I win, it has nothing to do with any tactic or mind game. The only one I really employ is when to concede a hole. You have to read your opponent to know rather conceding is better or making him fight for every hole. I personally rise to occasions. If you give me a reason to want to kick your butt I'll bring the best game I have. Be a dick and I'll do my best to show you up. If you lay back and are a normal Joe and act like a respectable person I'll play to win but I probably won't grind it out as hard as I would if you were a jerk. But others fold if you are a jerk. You have to read your opponent. If you've played with them before it's easier. If you haven't it can be a crapshoot.[/quote]

I guess ignore is the wrong term. I should have said that you don't need to react to their behavior...just be above it.
  • 06-08-2010
    Steelman
    Best advice I can give you is to not worry about one hole. If you screw it up, it is just ONE hole. You have to not worry about overall score and just what you do on each hole. In that regard, always try to stay even with the guy you are playing with in the number of shots on a hole. For example, if he is on the green in reg, you be on the green in reg. Try to make birdies. Lots of birdies. But do not make too many bogeys if any at all. Don't give away holes, make the guy earn them.
  • 06-11-2010
    Horseballs
    I just won 7 and 5. Got out to a lead and homey folded under the pressure. In true GR fashion, I walked in after 13.
  • 06-11-2010
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]I just won 7 and 5. Got out to a lead and homey folded under the pressure. In true GR fashion, I walked in after 13.[/QUOTE]

If that was me, I might have offered the mark (opps, opponent) a chance to get even with double-or-nothing stroke play for the last 5 holes.
  • 06-11-2010
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]I just won 7 and 5. Got out to a lead and homey folded under the pressure. In true GR fashion, I walked in after 13.[/QUOTE]

Reminds me of my all-time favorite match play victory ever. We'd drawn one of the cockiest guys at our club in fourball. His partner wasn't as cocky but was a gamesmanship specialist. His favorite technique was to ask you a question just as you were starting a pre-shot routine.

Before the match, people were encouraging us to get nasty with them. We didn't do that but my partner, who's a strong stick, just played his ass off and carried us.

He figured out we were going to close them out on 13 and after we shook hands he looked at me and said "come on". He picked up his clubs and walked towards his gf who had pulled up on an adjacent street and was leaning against her car. We got in and drove away. We would have loved to have turned to see the look on their faces but it would have killed it a little.
  • 06-11-2010
    golfaholic
    I find if you are a better golfer than your opponent, you'll almost always win.
  • 06-11-2010
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=golfaholic]I find if you are a better golfer than your opponent, you'll almost always win.[/QUOTE]
    The beauty of match play is that the winner of a match IS the better golfer. On that day.
  • 06-11-2010
    SoonerBS
    My only advice is that you get some experience playing match play before challenging a Tea Party golfer who is very good with a video camera and not bad with his golf game . . . . .
  • 06-11-2010
    golfaholic
    [QUOTE=SoonerBS]My only advice is that you get some experience playing match play before challenging a Tea Party golfer who is very good with a video camera and not bad with his golf game . . . . .[/QUOTE]
    I beg your pardon?
  • 06-11-2010
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]Just curious but how do you know the other guy was thinking about his next match? Did he say something like "Well, I kicked your ass now I need to start thinking about this next victim".[/QUOTE]
    He was talking to his buddies trying to figure out who the winner of our match would be playing next week, and was shaking their hands even though our match was still going. I must admit, at the time I was playing such crap golf I had almost given up and was looking forward to the end, but seeing such hubris from my opponent got my back up and I was reinvigorated. I felt it my duty to teach him a lesson.
  • 06-12-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=mongrel]If that was me, I might have offered the mark (opps, opponent) a chance to get even with double-or-nothing stroke play for the last 5 holes.[/QUOTE]
    For some reason, the course was jammed. We were both figuring we'd be finished with 18 by noon with a 9am tee time. We were playing with a group who also had a match going and I actually started to play the 14th. Hit my 2nd shot left of the green on a par 5 and realized I left my wedges on 13 green. Instead of holding up their match, I just headed in.
    Really nice guy and it was great that we had the exact same handicap. Matchplay with giving up strokes is no fun. He must have felt like he got punched in the cock, because he lost the first 5 holes and was 6 down after 7.
  • 06-12-2010
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=Horseballs]For some reason, the course was jammed. We were both figuring we'd be finished with 18 by noon with a 9am tee time. We were playing with a group who also had a match going and I actually started to play the 14th. Hit my 2nd shot left of the green on a par 5 and realized I left my wedges on 13 green. Instead of holding up their match, I just headed in.
    Really nice guy and it was great that we had the exact same handicap. Matchplay with giving up strokes is no fun. He must have felt like he got punched in the cock, because he lost the first 5 holes and was 6 down after 7.[/QUOTE]

Slow play in front of you is a good reason to vacate the course. I've always enjoy playing players with lower handicaps than mine in skins or match play. When I was playing multiple times per week years ago, a bunch of my scores entered into the clubs' computers were matches where I or my partner and I would win the match but I'd take risks that often led to birdies or doubles. If I was carrying a 12-14, a steady-Eddie 6-9 type who made mostly pars with occasional bogies and maybe a double a round would be fair game. Conversely, playing higher 'cappers and giving strokes is a sure way to ruin a golf day and I shy away from it.
  • 06-12-2010
    Horseballs
    [QUOTE=mongrel]Slow play in front of you is a good reason to vacate the course. I've always enjoy playing players with lower handicaps than mine in skins or match play. When I was playing multiple times per week years ago, a bunch of my scores entered into the clubs' computers were matches where I or my partner and I would win the match but I'd take risks that often led to birdies or doubles. If I was carrying a 12-14, a steady-Eddie 6-9 type who made mostly pars with occasional bogies and maybe a double a round would be fair game. Conversely, playing higher 'cappers and giving strokes is a sure way to ruin a golf day and I shy away from it.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, giving strokes is no fun in match play, but it's bound to happen the further I can go along in this tourney. The next guy I'm playing will be giving me 2 strokes. In my history at my club, I've never had a match where I'm getting strokes. My advance scouting has determined that this guy is a younger guy with a vanity cap. A former college player who can shoot low, but just as easily shoot a big number. I'm liking my odds.
  • 06-12-2010
    daveperkins
    [QUOTE=SoonerBS]My only advice is that you get some experience playing match play before challenging a Tea Party golfer who is very good with a video camera and not bad with his golf game . . . . .[/QUOTE]

I assume you meant Tee Party... and that's right.. we're hosting the Tee Party Invitational at Congressional this fall. and nobody from the actual Congress is invited. Our practice range will be set up on the lawn in front of the capitol steps. With any luck some congress-commie will get within a seven iron of me.
    :-)

Tee Party platform is as follows..

1 no poufters

2 no NOT drinking after lights out

3 No poufters

4 no rule number 4

5 no poufters

6 mandatory firearms on person or in golf bag for duration of tournament

7 no Poulters

8 No ongoing psychoanalyses of players, party members or GR members unless said analysis is intended only to make the [B]analyst/therapist[/B] feel intellectually superior (does that make him an 'anal-rapist'?)

9 no Poltroons

10 read my hips, boys, no new taxes