New Ping Eye 2 XG Wedges

Printable View

• 10-21-2010
    famousdavis
    1 Attachment(s)
    New Ping Eye 2 XG Wedges
    This is almost too good to be true. Ping is coming out with a new set of Ping Eye 2 confirming wedges named the Ping Eye 2 XG. I don't know the lofts yet. This could lead to them releasing a full set of Ping Eye 2s with modern day lofts. Finally the golf world will see the first advancement in golf in more than 25 years! I feel like I'm dreaming!!
  • 10-21-2010
    Home-slicer
    Are they making these new in AZ??? Pretty cool stuff. John Solhiem must either be a GR member or a friend of yours. The eye2 resurgence. You saw it here first, world. What's the XG stand for? Xtra Good?
  • 10-21-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Home-slicer]Are they making these new in AZ??? Pretty cool stuff. John Solhiem must either be a GR member or a friend of yours. The eye2 resurgence. You saw it here first, world. What's the XG stand for? Xtra Good?[/quote]

For me it stands for x-cited and giddy!
  • 10-21-2010
    Home-slicer
    To me, it would be cool if they kept the traditional lofts. Do a total throwback thing.
  • 10-21-2010
    Not a hacker
    FD,

I've known a few Ping players over the years, and some of them were very low markers, and the one thing they al had in common was the Eye 2 wedges in the bag, even if they had updated the rest of the set. A Penants player off about 2 I caddied for a few years back had the Eye 2 lob wedge even though he got rid of the Eye 2 irons years before, and some of the shots he could play with that baby were outof this world. The guy was a pretty average wedge player too, later on he dropped it out of the bag for a few months and his chiping went to crap. He put it back in and was knocking down flags aain. I will be very interested in testing ut these new wedges.
  • 10-22-2010
    daveperkins
    Now, this is a good start. But.. the Eye 2 is a simple enough shape... shouldn't they be planning a FORGED Eye 2?
  • 10-22-2010
    pingman360
    i would imagine that the XG's have conforming grooves for the 2011 season...
  • 10-22-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=pingman360]i would imagine that the XG's have conforming grooves for the 2011 season...[/quote]

I would think a man of your stature in the golfing community should already know the answer to this. :rolleyes: The whole point of reintroducing the Ping Eye 2 in the XG series is to have the same club but with conforming grooves, along with a sexy new look.
  • 10-22-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Not a hacker]FD,

I've known a few Ping players over the years, and some of them were very low markers, and the one thing they al had in common was the Eye 2 wedges in the bag, even if they had updated the rest of the set. A Penants player off about 2 I caddied for a few years back had the Eye 2 lob wedge even though he got rid of the Eye 2 irons years before, and some of the shots he could play with that baby were outof this world. The guy was a pretty average wedge player too, later on he dropped it out of the bag for a few months and his chiping went to crap. He put it back in and was knocking down flags aain. I will be very interested in testing ut these new wedges.[/quote]

A person I know who is 70 years old has used the Ping Eye 2 BeCu SW for about 23 years now. He is the best at pitching the ball that I have ever seen from inside 40 yards. I have played with a few guys that went out for the PGA tour and he is better than them at this shot. It is beyond frustrating to play a match against him. He's just as you described in that he has all new club except for that one wedge.
  • 10-22-2010
    SoonerBS
    I thought the whole point, and one you made with me recently, behind playing the PING Eye 2 irons was to play the ones with the "square grooves?" I have the PING Eye 2+, which to my understanding, are NOT the square grooves. Correct? So, if you are getting so excited about a set of POS wedges (I hate my PING Eye 2 wedges) that are conforming, why don't you just go buy the PING Eye 2+ wedges?
  • 10-22-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=SoonerBS]I thought the whole point, and one you made with me recently, behind playing the PING Eye 2 irons was to play the ones with the "square grooves?" I have the PING Eye 2+, which to my understanding, are NOT the square grooves. Correct? So, if you are getting so excited about a set of POS wedges (I hate my PING Eye 2 wedges) that are conforming, why don't you just go buy the PING Eye 2+ wedges?[/quote]

OK, let me explain this to you in the most simple terms. I like the Ping Eye 2 Square Groove irons because of the shape and size of the head, not because they have square grooves. I describe them as the "square groove" model to differentiate them between the Ping Eye 2+.

The new Ping Eye 2 XG wedges have the same shape head as the original Ping Eye 2. By the way...the X stands for 10 and the G is for grooves. Moving along....the Ping Eye 2+ has a slightly larger head, a more contoured sole and more weight out toward the toe of the iron. You can see this if you put both heads next to one another. The Ping Eye 2+ has more of the perimeter weighting out toward the toe. This, of course, causes one to draw the ball.

The biggest difference between the Ping Eye 2+ and regular Ping Eye 2 is in the wedges. I think the original Eye 2 wedges are far superior looking to the Ping Eye 2+ which look very bulky to me. In addition, the Eye 2+ SW is 53 degrees and the LW is 58 degree. The original Eye 2 SW is 57 degrees and the LW is 61 degrees. The new XG wedges will have the same lofts of approximately 57 and 61.

That is all.
  • 10-22-2010
    edgey
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]OK, let me explain this to you in the most simple terms. I like the Ping Eye 2 Square Groove irons because of the shape and size of the head, not because they have square grooves. I describe them as the "square groove" model to differentiate them between the Ping Eye 2+.

The new Ping Eye 2 XG wedges have the same shape head as the original Ping Eye 2. By the way...the X stands for 10 and the G is for grooves. Moving along....the Ping Eye 2+ has a slightly larger head, a more contoured sole and more weight out toward the toe of the iron. You can see this if you put both heads next to one another. The Ping Eye 2+ has more of the perimeter weighting out toward the toe. This, of course, causes one to draw the ball.

The biggest difference between the Ping Eye 2+ and regular Ping Eye 2 is in the wedges. I think the original Eye 2 wedges are far superior looking to the Ping Eye 2+ which look very bulky to me. In addition, the Eye 2+ SW is 53 degrees and the LW is 58 degree. The original Eye 2 SW is 57 degrees and the LW is 61 degrees. The new XG wedges will have the same lofts of approximately 57 and 61.

That is all.[/QUOTE]

Superbly written but unfortunately pearls before swine. Sooner wouldnt play Ping even if they GUARANTEED him shooting par. In all fairness when Mizuno can produce a gross 97 why change!

THAT is all

Edgey
  • 10-22-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=edgey]Superbly written but unfortunately pearls before swine. Sooner wouldnt play Ping even if they GUARANTEED him shooting par. In all fairness when Mizuno can produce a gross 97 why change!

THAT is all

Edgey[/quote]

BTW, I found a great golf store for Ping equipment. It's called GPPGolf and they have a lot of older model Ping equipment that is brand new. Tons of Rapture irons.
  • 10-22-2010
    edgey
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]BTW, I found a great golf store for Ping equipment. It's called GPPGolf and they have a lot of older model Ping equipment that is brand new. Tons of Rapture irons.[/QUOTE]

Just got off the course having shot a 77 again (with 2 three putts!)

PING K15 playing my best

Edgey
  • 10-22-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=edgey]Just got off the course having shot a 77 again (with 2 three putts!)

PING K15 playing my best

Edgey[/quote]

Good round! Sounds like you need to look at one of the new Ping putters.
  • 10-22-2010
    edgey
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]Good round! Sounds like you need to look at one of the new Ping putters.[/QUOTE]

I have been using a Heavy Putter due to the slow greens BUT they cut them again and the speed caught me out. I am actually an Odyssey guy. I really like the Black i series putters. I am looking for a #7 Fang on e bay.

Edgey
  • 10-22-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=daveperkins]Now, this is a good start. But.. the Eye 2 is a simple enough shape... shouldn't they be planning a FORGED Eye 2?[/quote]

I'm surprised I missed this. A forged Eye 2 would go against everything Ping stands for. Ping makes equipment that works. It's not marketed toward the poser. Maybe the oriental market will get a forged model.