An early wrist break...?

Printable View

• 12-08-2004
    Tee'd Off
    An early wrist break...?
    I just got a copy of Joe Dante's 'The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf.' Now this book is supposed to be a 'classic.' the authors whole theory revolves around a wrist break to start the backswing and maintaining it throughout the backswing. Anyway this 'theory' sounds very radical and I was wondering if any of you out there in la-la land have used or tried any of Joe Dante's moves? Is Dante's approach to the swing correct?
  • 12-08-2004
    Mikalion
    incorrect. if you have to use your wrists, than that means you have to use your arm and hand muscles to control the backswing which is wrong.
  • 12-09-2004
    Spinner
    [QUOTE=Tee'd Off]I just got a copy of Joe Dante's 'The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf.' Now this book is supposed to be a 'classic.' the authors whole theory revolves around a wrist break to start the backswing and maintaining it throughout the backswing. Anyway this 'theory' sounds very radical and I was wondering if any of you out there in la-la land have used or tried any of Joe Dante's moves? Is Dante's approach to the swing correct?[/QUOTE]

IMO NO!!!
    I'm currently having difficulties in my swing due to the fact that my wrist action is to early/strong. Damn hooks.... If I concentrate really really hard on the fact "keep your wrists straight" my shots are straighter.

Only if your timing is better than a Swiss watch wrist action is OK --> you can hit the ball a mile, but for us mortals: Say NO to wrist action!
  • 12-09-2004
    goflyers
    [QUOTE=Tee'd Off]I just got a copy of Joe Dante's 'The Four Magic Moves to Winning Golf.' Now this book is supposed to be a 'classic.' the authors whole theory revolves around a wrist break to start the backswing and maintaining it throughout the backswing. Anyway this 'theory' sounds very radical and I was wondering if any of you out there in la-la land have used or tried any of Joe Dante's moves? Is Dante's approach to the swing correct?[/QUOTE]

A couple of years ago Butch Harmon said the same thing on a TGC show. He claimed it was one of the most common errors he sees am players doing.
  • 12-09-2004
    Montagle
    Seeing how I am a jerk anyways.....

Concentrating on things like wrist cock, weight shift, clubhead release, delayed release, etc.. will ruin any golf swing.

These things all happen naturally.

If one concentrates on 'static' things (alignment, posture, grip, balance) then everything else will fall into place.

Some of these 'gurus' wreck more swings than they remedy.
  • 12-09-2004
    bdcrowe
    As usual, Monty has a good point. This summer, my handi went from a 10 to about a 16 because I started thinking all techie. Once I forgot about the details and went back to generalities, I'm back to where I was.
  • 12-09-2004
    grazo
    When was this book written?

In talking to a instructor not long ago, he said that they used to teach using the hands (wrists) to square the clubface at impact, which requires an early break in the wrists during the backswing.

Nowadays they teach more along the lines of using your torso to square the club at impact, which means the hands are 'quiet' throughout the swing.

The theory here is that using the upper body to square the clubface requires less 'timing' and is a more repeatable swing, whereas having a 'handsy' swing requires greater timing skills and you are more likely to have an off day.

Do what works for you anyway - theory is exactly that - theory. Not fact.

Good luck.