• 02-17-2007
    progolf4life
    Best Irons Set Under $400!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
    I am in the market for irons in very good condition on ebay. Right now I am going between these:

1. Mizuno MP-14
    2. Wilson Pi5
    3. Snake Eyes 600B

Right now I use a set of Wilson 1200LT's which were made in 1978 and were my Grandfathers. This is a blade and compact so I wouldn't have a problem hitting any other blade. I am a 4 handicap right now. If you know of better irons on ebay for under $400 in good condition then tell me please.

Opinions Please
  • 02-17-2007
    golfaholic
    Wilson Staff Pi5's.
  • 02-17-2007
    progolf4life
    I was looking into those but a lot of people say that the feel isn't so great and that they are kind of cheaper made irons.

P.S: I know Padrig Harrington plays them but he's payed to.
  • 02-17-2007
    golfaholic
    [QUOTE=progolf4life]I was looking into those but a lot of people say that the feel isn't so great and that they are kind of cheaper made irons.

P.S: I know Padrig Harrington plays them but he's payed to.[/QUOTE]

cheaper made irons?. Who ever told you this desreves a good 'ol punch in the teeth.:rolleyes:. Total horse crap. Quality irons. The clubs have awesome feel.

Harrington isn't the only one who plays these.

For the price these are going for you can't go wrong.

[B][I][U]Demo them and see for yourself.[/U][/I][/B]
  • 02-17-2007
    A V Twiss
    If the feel is an issue then you could try the FI 5. These have a modest cavity in the long and mid Irons and 8 thru PW are blades. Another iron of this genre is the Hogan FTX. I can say from personal experience that these are superb irons. I must agree with Golfaholic's post. The was until recently Wilsons Top of the range cavity back iron.
  • 02-18-2007
    LyleG
    If you are looking for irons of that style I would look no further than these.

[url]http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_1225[/url]
    8 iron heads would set you back a whopping $79.60

Add in these shafts (great shafts, blow away the dynamic golds at 1/2 the price)
    [url]http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_FS0005I[/url]
    price for the shafts $50.00

Add in these grips
    [url]http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_VT[/url]
    cost of grips $20.40

Total cost of components = $150 on the button

If you assemble yourself cost is about $10 for ferrules and epoxy
    Hire a local clubmaker to fit you and frequency match all the irons so you have a set that is far better than you get ever dream of getting with off the rack oem would be about $100 max.

So the total would be $250 maximum price for a great iron set.

These heads and shafts are my best sellers and are derserving of it.
  • 02-18-2007
    JuniorFinn
    Taylormade 300 are one of the best CB irons ever made

Mizuno MP 30

Titleist 690CB
  • 02-18-2007
    pingman360
    if those options the Pi5's win hands down... i would broaden my choices though many quality irons can be bought for under $400...
  • 02-18-2007
    caddy45
    i have the taylor made 360 irons and got them for $200. they feel great and are very forgiving.
  • 02-18-2007
    progolf4life
    I am not necessarily looking for a forgiving set of irons...... I would like to get my set of irons for under $200. Do you guys know of any good irons for that price??? (Besides the Mizuno MP-14's) and by the way, what's wrong with the MP-14's??
  • 02-18-2007
    pingman360
    [QUOTE=progolf4life]I am not necessarily looking for a forgiving set of irons...... I would like to get my set of irons for under $200. Do you guys know of any good irons for that price??? (Besides the Mizuno MP-14's) and by the way, what's wrong with the MP-14's??[/QUOTE]

nothung is wrong with the MP14's they are just a little outdated... look @ the MP30's i think they go pretty cheap and are awsome...
  • 02-18-2007
    progolf4life
    The MP30's are to expensive and your Ping i3's are also a little outdated :thumbsup:
  • 02-18-2007
    awskeetskeetskeetskeet
    a set of new walter hagen blades has been great to me. i think there the something like the XL? but there great
  • 02-18-2007
    Omen2
    mp .33's... all kinds of feel
  • 02-18-2007
    progolf4life
    Mizuno MP14 2-PW $150, MP33 $250, TM rac OS2 $330, MP37 $350, Wilson Pi5 $350, Snake Eyes 600B/C $400, Cleveland CG1 $400, Nike Pro Combo $400

That's what those irons cost on ebay. For the money I think that the MP14's might be in my bag. Whichever iron set I get will have True Temper Dynamic Gold S300 shafts and I will regrip them with Golf Pride Tour Velvets. The only difference is the head. The MP14's are looking pretty good right now.

Are the Mizuno MP-14's any better than my Wilson 1200LT's from 1978? They have grips that are torn that need to be replaced and the shafts are stock R flex.
  • 02-19-2007
    El Guapo
    MacGregor 1025M...
    I picked up a full set from Golfsmith in Austin, TX (183 location) for WELL under $200. They look Brand-new. They have a 2nd set still there. They aren't listed on their website, but I saw them again just yesterday. The 1025M are the complete muscle-back, v-foil set. They have S300's and Macgregor/Golf Pride grips. They look like they were hit maybe once. $189 is the going rate on them. Get them quick before I buy a 2nd set. By the way, MacGregor nailed it with these irons. They feel more solid than my Mizuno T-Zoid Trues and are on par with the MP-37s as well.
  • 02-19-2007
    progolf4life
    That is also an old set but I think the Mizuno MP-14's would be better that those.
  • 02-19-2007
    bjdrivers
    Under $200 is tough, but I would say Mizuno MP33 if you can find them on ebay for that cheap. they will probably be beat all to hell though. I would go with a set of Titleist DCI's, maybe the 990s if u need a little forgiveness, if not try the 962b's. I played those for 2 years and they are some serious sticks. David Duval shot his 59 with them at the Bob Hope a few years ago.
  • 02-19-2007
    progolf4life
    drivers I see you not a Mizuno fan lol
  • 02-19-2007
    bjdrivers
    I have nothing against Mizuno, they are very good clubs, I used to play the 33's. I was saying the 33s are excellent blades, but if you buy them used they will probably be pretty beat up considering they are forged.
  • 02-19-2007
    pingman360
    [QUOTE=progolf4life]The MP30's are to expensive and your Ping i3's are also a little outdated :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

dude your a moron... PING eye2's arent outdated and they were mae ion the 80's and as for the i3 blades most PING endorsed Pro's use the i3 blades... why dont you do some research before you make comments... your just trying to stir up trouble so quit... go buy whatever you want i really dont care what it is go buy your 14's if you dont think that they are outdated...
  • 02-19-2007
    El Guapo
    Mac 1025M old?
    [QUOTE=progolf4life]That is also an old set but I think the Mizuno MP-14's would be better that those.[/QUOTE]

They came out in 2002. They were the iron of choice for Mac sponsored players such as Lee Janzen. Aaron Badley plays with them now. I think you'll find in them, as I have, all the feel of a traditional forged mixed with some more modern technology. The V-foil technology works. Better than the MP-14? In what way? I've hit the 14's and these feel on par with those (same shafts in both).
  • 02-19-2007
    TmacG
    yeah, I would try to find a set of mizuno mp-30's, not the cheapest but a solid club. also the titleist 690 CB's.

TmacG
  • 03-02-2007
    Omen2
    nobody in their right mind will degrade mizunos... except horseballs he did it by putting project x shafts in them.....thats the equivalent of michelle wie on the mens tour... they just dont go together... Mizuno irons are manly and project x shafts are womanly.... i would expect this from TESTICLE BOY though.
  • 03-02-2007
    wwjdwithca
    MacGregor M565's. $210 brand new. OS forged clubs. Big club head with a nice looking topline.
  • 03-03-2007
    swartzd
    [QUOTE=wwjdwithca]MacGregor M565's. $210 brand new. OS forged clubs. Big club head with a nice looking topline.[/QUOTE]
    I second that! Check out the reviews of these on the web. Simply great forged irons that look and feel awesome and are more forgiving than the others you've mentioned.
  • 03-05-2007
    24putts
    Blades Under 400
    Yeah, you want the Hogan FTX. Can be had now on Ebay for $299 in exc. cond. This is a progressive set (cavity 3-7, pure blade 8-W), smallish head with great looks. Now made by Callaway.