• 07-20-2006
    whitesox350z
    how do you get stickers off?
    i just bought some titleist vokeys with the oil can finish because i hit them at the range and they felt very solid
    so i got home and i've always had this problem with everyclub that i've ever bought, they have those stupid stickers and what not on the shaft
    so how do you guys get yours off? i've been using rubbing alcohaul after soaking in a little water, but that doesn't seem to be powerfull enough for titleist's tape... any suggestions?

thanks
  • 07-20-2006
    poe4soul
    Lighter Fluid
  • 07-20-2006
    Singsling
    At last a useful thread!!
  • 07-20-2006
    whitesox350z
    singsling... is that sarcasm or serious?? it's hard to tell on the internet

lighter fluid? does this mean i also burn it off, or what? to me it sounds like it would work but it's a bad idea...
  • 07-20-2006
    footballking732
    goo gone is amazing for stickers!!
  • 07-20-2006
    Singsling
    [QUOTE=whitesox350z]singsling... is that sarcasm or serious?? it's hard to tell on the internet

[/QUOTE]

Serious.... given that I have the same problem.
  • 07-20-2006
    Benguk
    Urine tends to get the stickers off really nice.
  • 07-20-2006
    RightSide
    3M Adhesive Remover.

You can find it at auto supply retailers such as Pep Boys, NAPA, etc. If it's good enough for taking tacky dealer stickers off the paint jobs of $75,000+ cars, it's good enough for your clubs. :)
  • 07-20-2006
    Sels41
    [QUOTE=Benguk]Urine tends to get the stickers off really nice.[/QUOTE]

From an animal?
  • 07-20-2006
    meantime
    I've just ever used warm water, dishsoap, and a plastic bristled scrub brush and they come off easy. Of course they have all been Callaways and everything is easier with Callaways.
    If this doesn't work I hear joeysdaddy can lick the goo off just about anything.
  • 07-20-2006
    Benguk
    [QUOTE=Sels41]From an animal?[/QUOTE]

Yea, Seal and Cougar urine works best.
  • 07-20-2006
    whitesox350z
    [QUOTE=Benguk]Yea, Seal and Cougar urine works best.[/QUOTE]

i love how you start a thread about how all the people on here are dlcks to teenagers, and then you come in here and be a dlck to them
  • 07-20-2006
    whitesox350z
    well i used warm water with soap and one of those green scrapy thingies, and it worked pretty good
    i'd try using the goo gone, but i dont have any (but my neighbors do...they went outta town this morning)

and why do manufacturers have to put so many d*mn tags onthe club? they have usually 2 or 3 price tags, a warning or w/e, and then a piece of tape holding them on... why can't they just use like something that tightens over the shaft and then you can slip up against the grip???

edit: yeah, my callaway clubs (x460 and heavenwood) were much easier but i think that that's because they were graphite shafts and not steel
  • 07-20-2006
    Singsling
    [QUOTE=whitesox350z]i love how you start a thread about how all the people on here are dlcks to teenagers, and then you come in here and be a dlck to them[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure irony is his strong suit.
  • 07-20-2006
    macmai
    If you have gripping solvent (aka tape solvent), that works well. Just take off the sticker as best as you can, then when there's just that annoying residue left, apply some of the grip solvent to a paper towel and wipe it down...comes off easy. You can get this stuff at your local Golf shop (Golfsmith if you have to). Hope it helps.
  • 07-20-2006
    Mward2002
    [QUOTE=macmai]If you have gripping solvent (aka tape solvent), that works well. Just take off the sticker as best as you can, then when there's just that annoying residue left, apply some of the grip solvent to a paper towel and wipe it down...comes off easy. You can get this stuff at your local Golf shop (Golfsmith if you have to). Hope it helps.[/QUOTE]

When I purchase clubs from Edwin Watts, they always use what looks like a hairdryer on the stickers and they turn black and come right off.
  • 07-20-2006
    Benguk
    I just don't care anymore.
  • 07-21-2006
    Mizunogolfer
    This stuff is the best and is great to clean clubs and cover light scratches up. I even use it on my grips.

[url]http://www.magicamerican.com/googone.shtml[/url]
  • 07-21-2006
    ezra76
    I gave up on trying to get them off. I just leave them on and then when I sell them I can say "Only used a few rounds, still has the price tag on it" :D Those things will stay on forever though. I just got my old 360XD back from my dad, it's almost 3yrs. old and still has the stickers and price tag on it.
  • 07-21-2006
    xender
    [QUOTE=whitesox350z]i just bought some titleist vokeys with the oil can finish because i hit them at the range and they felt very solid
    so i got home and i've always had this problem with everyclub that i've ever bought, they have those stupid stickers and what not on the shaft
    so how do you guys get yours off? i've been using rubbing alcohaul after soaking in a little water, but that doesn't seem to be powerfull enough for titleist's tape... any suggestions?

thanks[/QUOTE]
    WD40 works excellent. just peel off the sticker, then spray some WD40 on a rag and clearn the rest off, comes off easy. WD40 also good for maintaining scotty cameron putters.
  • 07-21-2006
    xender
    [QUOTE=whitesox350z]i love how you start a thread about how all the people on here are dlcks to teenagers, and then you come in here and be a dlck to them[/QUOTE]
    I see now why he was blasted, rightfully so. So much anger at such young age. On a side node, so do you actually live in Elgin? I used to live in Carpentersvielle/Streamwood/Schaumburg. I used to goto Bartlett Country club all the time, one of my favorites in the burbs.
  • 07-21-2006
    dorkman53
    Almost any non-polar organic solvent should do the job. Rubbing alcohol is not truly "non-polar" from an organic chemistry standpoint, but does a so-so job. WD 40, lighter fluid, paint thinner, gasoline, and a host of other organic compounds mentioned should do the job. Ther is basically no risk to the finish on a steel shaft. I'd be a little more cautious on graphite shafts to be sure you don't ruin the finish.
  • 07-21-2006
    mpkelley20
    Someone mentioned the heat guns used at golf shops. That is the best way to remove them but if you don't have a heat gun then you can use a hair dryer. That works just as well but just takes a little longer.
  • 07-21-2006
    Duds
    peanut butter, seriously
  • 07-21-2006
    RightSide
    [QUOTE=ezra76]I gave up on trying to get them off. I just leave them on and then when I sell them I can say "Only used a few rounds, still has the price tag on it" :D Those things will stay on forever though. I just got my old 360XD back from my dad, it's almost 3yrs. old and still has the stickers and price tag on it.[/QUOTE]

"How...dee!" The Minnie Pearl of Golf!

Just joking with you. :thumbsup:
  • 07-21-2006
    Mward2002
    Ah so that's what they use. I figured it was just a hairdryer, cause it looks and even sounds similar to one
  • 07-22-2006
    colzac
    Goo Gone or paint thinner or nail polish remover
  • 07-22-2006
    pmoper
    [QUOTE=whitesox350z]i just bought some titleist vokeys with the oil can finish because i hit them at the range and they felt very solid

thanks[/QUOTE]
    Steam will soften it to the point that you can get them off....or any light solvent...lighter fluid or there is something called goo-be-gone in the paint section of your hardware store....works great.....goof luck
  • 07-22-2006
    golfaholic
    Why dont you want to leave the stickers on?
  • 07-22-2006
    whitesox350z
    because they bug me
    and some of the stickers i've gotten are like f*ckin yellow so then they distract me, and eventuallyi've found that they wear down and then get sticky, and after a good shot i always slide the club down between my hands...just out of habbit, so when there is a little sticky spot then the club gets stuck and then i look like a dumbas and sometimes the sticky sh*t gets on my glove

so i just take them off :)
  • 07-22-2006
    Queso
    [QUOTE=golfaholic]Why dont you want to leave the stickers on?[/QUOTE]

probably because he doesnt want to look like a complete douche bag while playing golf. i suppose you expect him to have iron covers too, huh?
  • 07-22-2006
    Lloyd_Christmas3
    [QUOTE=Queso]probably because he doesnt want to look like a complete douche bag while playing golf. i suppose you expect him to have iron covers too, huh?[/QUOTE]

Iron covers and stickers are mutually exclusive.

Iron covers are for anal-retentive / "where did i leave my good pocket protector"-types. Leaving stickers on is for slobs. No one does both.
  • 07-22-2006
    shiva
    [QUOTE=footballking732]goo gone is amazing for stickers!![/QUOTE]

that was my 2nd choice

first choice, as always, is Goof Off
  • 07-23-2006
    swvaguy
    I'll join the chorus touting the benefits of Goo Gone. It & Goof Off are differently branded versions of the same cleaner. Both are great for removing the adhesive from stickers, etc. They're also great for cleaning windshields, but that's another story.

Lighter fluid works, also, but it is what I use when putting new grips on my clubs.Squirt it inside the grip, then cover the opening with a finger & shake vigorously, before sliding onto the club shaft. It does better than the expensive stuff golf shops sell for the purpose, plus it costs only a fraction of the amount.

FTR, I remove ALL the stickers on my clubs, even the TT sticker that tells the shaft flex. I prefer the unadorned look. Also, I seldom sell any of the clubs I buy, so it has never been an issue about resale value either...
  • 08-11-2006
    TmacG
    Varsol and water...
  • 08-11-2006
    tincanman99
    Orange stuff that you use to clean your house ie. the citrus cleaner. Takes them off no problem. I use this stuff on everything in my house and even on my car as its a lot less toxic than other stuff.
  • 08-11-2006
    bladeduffer
    Here's my vote for Goo Gone. The stuff just works.
  • 08-15-2006
    Jorge Babarosa
    Goo gone, or some hyper citrius cleanser... or WD-40.

Do not use a scrubbie (3M pad), use only your finger nail and start rubbing. Rinse with luke warm water... avoid watering the hosel or any part which may have adhesives (except the sticker).

Warning... selling used clubs with the stickers intact may add value.
  • 08-16-2006
    LyleG
    Use a blow torch or welding rig and burn the fukcers off.
  • 08-16-2006
    Jorge Babarosa
    LyleG... You did get the extension right but it's pretty bad when you misspell a four letter word... come on, admit it.

• 08-16-2006
    LyleG
    if spelled correctly it disappears you ****er
  • 08-16-2006
    Letitroll98
    Good reply LG, I liked the work around on them fukcers.

I though I was this Hints From Heloise genus by using WD-40 all these years. I don't know why I didn't think of Goo Gone or Goof Off. Guess I'm not a genus after all.

I just picked up a used TM Rosa Daytona at Play it Again Sports tonight and it had two old stickers on it. I'll try the Goo Gone and report the results.