Shafts

Printable View

• 07-07-2006
    jackb_93
    Shafts
    I am really confused about shafts. I dont have a clue what shaft i should have in my clubs.
    Could someone tell me, how do i know what kind of shaft i need to have
  • 07-08-2006
    footballking732
    depending on your swing, you will need a different shaft flex.

usually the faster you swing the less flex you need, but someone with a fast swing may still need a regular flex.

now for shafts, you neeed graphite in your driver, maybe in your 3 wood. for you irons, i would recommend steel shafts, graphite shafts in irons make you hit it a bit further but you lose accuracy.

true temper makes vey good iron shafts, and aldila and graffaloy and fujikura make good graphite driver shafts.

you should go demo the shaft with the club you want to buy, because the shaft is more important than the clubhead imo.
  • 07-08-2006
    sscameron
    Demo and talk to a fitter and he could give you a better idea as to what you'll need.

If you have arthritis or like the softer feel, graphite shafts would be best. If not, the feel of the club is different from steel and graphite shafts. There is approx 30g diff from steel to graphite depending on which shaft is avail. As mentioned, the graphite will be further but not as accurate, I believe this is because of the force of torque on the head during the swing. Also, if you have a high swing speed and you swing hard, a regular flex will not be as accurate as a stiff flex shaft.

Best determine what is best suited for your swing.
  • 07-08-2006
    dorkman53
    Realistically, your question is so broad and vague that it is impossible to answer without a lot of information, such as swing speed, tempo, feel preferences, typical ball flight trajectory on a well struck shot, typical miss patterns, average driver and 6 iron distance, how much you can afford to spend, etc., etc., etc.
    It's like asking, "What kind of car should I drive?"
  • 07-08-2006
    footballking732
    [QUOTE=dorkman53]Realistically, your question is so broad and vague that it is impossible to answer without a lot of information, such as swing speed, tempo, feel preferences, typical ball flight trajectory on a well struck shot, typical miss patterns, average driver and 6 iron distance, how much you can afford to spend, etc., etc., etc.
    It's like asking, "What kind of car should I drive?"[/QUOTE]

thats why me and ss tried to answer the question as much as we could...

op, you didnt give us alot of info to work with, shafts are the most important part of the club and you want to get them right(as said by golfdigest). you need what fits you the best, not one shaft is the best for everybody.
  • 07-08-2006
    golfaholic
    How do you pronounce Adilia??
  • 07-08-2006
    subablunc
    I had a launch session this week and my fitter recommended me Aldila NV 65 and Harrison. Anyone knows Harrisons shafts ? I know they have good reputation but can anybody tell me more about them ?