low launch shaft

Printable View

• 10-05-2011
    emmanmin
    low launch shaft
    I have a Ping G15 driver with a graffaloy prolaunch axis red stiff shaft, tipped 1". I have a tendency to hit the ball a little to high for my liking. This is supposed to be a low launch shaft. Not for me. Any recomendations for another shaft. The driver is 9* by the way. Thanks.
  • 10-05-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=emmanmin;253448]I have a Ping G15 driver with a graffaloy prolaunch axis red stiff shaft, tipped 1". I have a tendency to hit the ball a little to high for my liking. This is supposed to be a low launch shaft. Not for me. Any recomendations for another shaft. The driver is 9* by the way. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Good old Prolite 3.5 stiff. Go ahead and tip it if you want. Golfworks has them on sale for $29.95.
  • 10-05-2011
    jmtbkr
    I'm using the G15 with the Serrano 60 shaft. Better than the stock one.
  • 10-05-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=jmtbkr;253490]I'm using the G15 with the Serrano 60 shaft. Better than the stock one.[/QUOTE]

If he overpowers his current shaft, he would hit the Serrano into the stratosphere.
  • 10-05-2011
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=mongrel;253510]If he overpowers his current shaft, he would hit the Serrano into the stratosphere.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily. I too hit the prolaunch red too high even though it feels very stiff. Sometimes I'll actually hit a regular flex shaft lower than stiff. If it don't flex, it may get up to the apex.
  • 10-06-2011
    emmanmin
    found a prolite 3.5 on ebay for 15.00. Cant pass that up ill give it a try. Thanks Mongrel.
  • 10-06-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=emmanmin;253551]found a prolite 3.5 on ebay for 15.00. Cant pass that up ill give it a try. Thanks Mongrel.[/QUOTE]

Try that tipped an inch. If that doesn't get it, you may need to move into a heavier shaft weight class. Like a discontinued Grafalloy Comp NT. Get the 85 gram one in stiff and try it un-tipped. You can still find them on Ebay for not a lot. I have a 65 gram regular which I ruined with the torch pulling it out before I got my shaft extractor. I also have an 85 gram regular which I can barely get off the ground in a 10.5* 905T inserted only 1.5" instead of the full 3.5" bore-through.
  • 10-07-2011
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=mongrel;253450]Good old Prolite 3.5 stiff. Go ahead and tip it if you want. Golfworks has them on sale for $29.95.[/QUOTE]
    Seconded. Lowest launching shaft ever. I recently had a pro launch red which was similar, but not quite the flag pole that is the pro lite.
  • 10-08-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker;253697]Seconded. Lowest launching shaft ever. I recently had a pro launch red which was similar, but not quite the flag pole that is the pro lite.[/QUOTE]

Had to go out on the road at work yesterday just before lunch time and stopped in at the local Golf Galaxy en route to my target property. Gotta love that store. Bought a Titleist 975J 10.5 driver in pristine condition with a Prolite 3.5 stiff that looks to be factory-installed at 45". In fact, t. he little paper "S" sticker is still on the sole and looks almost new. Total cost: $7.99 US. Now I just have to figure out what to put that shaft into. Maybe one of my 904F's that has a YS-6+ FW stiff in it and never felt quite right. Might put it in untipped and cut the butt off to length. Couple of weeks ago I bought an 8.5* 975J at the same store for a dollar more. That one had a Prolite 3.5 in regular flex that is black. Put that one 2" into a 905T head and it feels nice and smooth and as stiff as a YS-6 stiff.
  • 10-09-2011
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=mongrel;253719]Had to go out on the road at work yesterday just before lunch time and stopped in at the local Golf Galaxy en route to my target property. Gotta love that store. Bought a Titleist 975J 10.5 driver in pristine condition with a Prolite 3.5 stiff that looks to be factory-installed at 45". In fact, t. he little paper "S" sticker is still on the sole and looks almost new. Total cost: $7.99 US. Now I just have to figure out what to put that shaft into. Maybe one of my 904F's that has a YS-6+ FW stiff in it and never felt quite right. Might put it in untipped and cut the butt off to length. Couple of weeks ago I bought an 8.5* 975J at the same store for a dollar more. That one had a Prolite 3.5 in regular flex that is black. Put that one 2" into a 905T head and it feels nice and smooth and as stiff as a YS-6 stiff.[/QUOTE]
    The 975 J was a nice club in t's own right. Maybe a little on the small side by modern standards, but there was a time whe they were the ducks nuts and are still good clubs. I can't believe you would pick one up for that price. That would be a great driver to use in practice rounds to fine tune your swing, being able to hit that well would give you heaps of confidence with the bigger heds in tournament play. A bit like using old muscle back blades on the range to groove a swing.
  • 10-09-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker;253736]The 975 J was a nice club in t's own right. Maybe a little on the small side by modern standards, but there was a time whe they were the ducks nuts and are still good clubs. I can't believe you would pick one up for that price. That would be a great driver to use in practice rounds to fine tune your swing, being able to hit that well would give you heaps of confidence with the bigger heds in tournament play. A bit like using old muscle back blades on the range to groove a swing.[/QUOTE]

Yes, the 10.5* I just got flies pretty good even with that Prolite stiff. I may play another game of musical shafts and stick something else in that head. Possibles: V2 75 gram reg. Comp NT 85 gram reg. Accuflex Assassin II senior/reg. tipped. The head makes a very satisfying crack at impact unlike the larger K, T, R and 907D2 heads and it has a mirror polished face with scoring lines all the way through. It does not seem to be left-biased so I may stick the Comp NT in it and see if I get a power fade machine.