• 04-28-2005
    Dr Shteeve
    Swing speed and driver distance
    I'm 49, driver swing speed clocked consistently 95-99, 5"10", 180#, currently drive with average carry 225-230 (average total 240). I often see references in reviews to players who say there swing speed is mid or high 90's who say average driver distance (usually don't specify carry vs. total) is 260 or 265. I use current technology; current driver is ERC Fusion with GD Y-S6 stiff shaft, but I've swung plenty of shafts, other drivers, etc., without significant change in results. Am I missing something or are these other players overestimating?
  • 04-28-2005
    therealdude
    My specs are almost identical to yours...I'm younger but same height and weight and my swing speed is around 93 with my driver. When i hit my driver properly, I get about 250 in carry with about 15-20 more in roll. Every now and then I uncork one in the 290 range but that's about once a month. I would think with proper mechanics and the correct loft and shaft you should be smacking it around 260-270 on good hits.
  • 04-28-2005
    Dr Shteeve
    [QUOTE=therealdude]My specs are almost identical to yours...I'm younger but same height and weight and my swing speed is around 93 with my driver. When i hit my driver properly, I get about 250 in carry with about 15-20 more in roll. Every now and then I uncork one in the 290 range but that's about once a month. I would think with proper mechanics and the correct loft and shaft you should be smacking it around 260-270 on good hits.[/QUOTE]

Presumably my mechanics, as driver fit was with launch monitor. My ERC Fusion is 10*, ball flight seems good. Now that I'm thinking about it, mechanics may be a real issue, as I do have days that I seem to carry an average of 240, total 250-260. Probably need to carry my video and capture my swing on my best days and try to lock that in.
  • 04-28-2005
    dorkman53
    I have about the same swingspeed as you, and use a .83 COR driver and shafts appropriate to my swingspeed and tempo. Likewise, I get 260-280 on my LONGEST, BEST drives, but these aren't my average drives, which are more like 240. Some people have a bit of wishful thinking that makes them believe that their longest drives = their average drives. There's nothing like the anonymity of the internet to lengthen some people's drives and make them legends in their own minds.......
  • 04-28-2005
    golf-addict
    You might get another 20-30 yards
    Therealdude is about right, you might have another 20-30 yards to gain. My swing speed is averaged around 88-90, mid-tempo, 10 years younger, 2 inch taller, similar weigtht. After I optimized my driver, Adams Redline 9.5, purple ice S-flex, it regularly goes 220-230 (including 10 yards roll, Some time bombs out 250 yards, once about 270 yards with the help of winds and downhill). You should be in 240-250 range, in theory. However, young guns are much more flexible than us mid-ages, and the swing tempo is so different among individuals

I think Cleveland 460 comp might be 10 yards more in my hand with NVS 75 S.

Somewhat after using my optimal driver for a few months, I seem to be able to hit other 300cc or 363cc old heads with much more consistency without much difference in distances. By the way, the non-conforming driver does not always have advantage these days, I used Adams 363R (stock graphite R), Killer Bee's 500cc (Rifle 6.0), Snake Eyes Aermet(Phoenixx Thermo Pro, unfortunately discontiued), they are more or less comparable now. Proper loft and weight design on the head, shaft combination seem to be more crucial.
  • 04-28-2005
    collegegolfer
    There are MANY people with wishful thinking...I swing about 120mph and I hit the ball around 280-300+. Look at some of the average guys on tour...they mostly swing 110+mph and a lot of their drives average around 270-280...these guys are on TOUR meaning they probably have good mechanics and are getting the most distance from their swing...so I always laugh when I start golfing with some guy and I hit a drive about 275 to 280 on a nice easy swing and they say things like "oh man, you must've hit that about 320." People really don't have a concept of distance...OR, some times people will hit from, say, the middle tees when I'm golfing with them and the tees will be 25 yards ahead of the "stone" from where the distance is measured from, and they'll hit a drive, subtract the yardage from the sprinkler head from the yardage on the card and say "WOW! I HIT THAT ONE 280!" I usually don't say anything but I kind of roll my eyes and think "uh, yeah, minus 25 is about 255...idiot." People just want to hit the ball long so they make stuff up or stretch the truth or forget to include that the tees were 25 yards ahead, etc. With a swing in the mid 90's I'd say on a good solid shot with no wind, no downhill, etc. you should be hitting it 240-250, tops. Also, I'm taking into account semi soft fairways...if you're playing on fairways that are like concrete then add about another 10-15 onto that I'd say. If you're hitting the ball solid with a decent trajectory don't worry about other people...
  • 04-28-2005
    Gussie
    Couldn't Agree More......
    I'm 60 years old, have been playing for a lot of years, swingspeed is in the low 90s, and use a Taylor Made R5 driver. I'm generally about 250 off the tee and I just laugh when my playing partner (about 20 years younger) figures his driving distance is about 270-280 using the same measuring criteria you mentioned! The ego thing with driving distance in golf is almost as absurd as the "measuring thing" with men!
    By the way, I usually beat my playing partner by 3-4 strokes every round....he's got a horrible short game.
  • 04-28-2005
    derrick_mcmlxxviii
    I also hate the over-estimaters and when someone says that he thinks he hit the ball 300, I pull out the laser and shoot the distance only to humble him back down to 265 or so. Its great. I must seem like such a jerk, but I hate hearing people tell stories about how they really corked one 330 or so.

My driver swing speed is 109 and I am 5'8". According to the computer, my ball speed is about 160 off my R7 and carries around 245-255 with a good smoothe swing. It may go farther, but I hit the ball very high because I have a lot of lag in my swing. Depending on how Im swinging, and the turf conditions, I may get 10-20 yards of extra roll, but I dont worry so much about my length off the tee.
  • 04-28-2005
    BogeyGolf
    You're in a golf forum. Every dude is 6'-2" 175 chiseled and 6 pack abs, drives the ball 300+ on average. People tend to exagerate. Ok not exagerate, they are BS'ers!

I'm 6' 210# and my usual drives if in the fairway are only 250 to 270 yds. I am usually the longest hitter in the group, at least with the driver. I also play only municple courses where 95% all golfers are hacks.
  • 04-28-2005
    therealdude
    Not sure how this thread turned into a bunch of people complaining about guys who overestimate or outright lie about their driving distance. I just checked the PGA site and average driving distance for 183 tour players rnages from 300+ to roughly 260. No reason not to expect that decent players can occassionally poke one way out there but that occassional poke would not be their average. Anyway, the guy asked a simple question, essentially, "should I be hitting longer than 240?" I think we can all agree that he should be closer to 255-260 when striking the ball well.
  • 04-28-2005
    Dr Shteeve
    [QUOTE=therealdude]Not sure how this thread turned into a bunch of people complaining about guys who overestimate or outright lie about their driving distance. I just checked the PGA site and average driving distance for 183 tour players rnages from 300+ to roughly 260. No reason not to expect that decent players can occassionally poke one way out there but that occassional poke would not be their average. Anyway, the guy asked a simple question, essentially, "should I be hitting longer than 240?" I think we can all agree that he should be closer to 255-260 when striking the ball well.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was my original question. It does seem that there is some disagreement, however. Although roll will depend somewhat on ball trajectory, draw versus fade, i.e., swing characteristics, it is more dependent on course conditions, i.e. hard vs. soft fairways, slopes, wind, etc. It seems to me carry distance is the number that should be able to be determined as far as what an expected carry distance is for a given swingspeed. I suspect there are some stats out there (not the Tour stats, except maybe the Senior Tour).
  • 04-28-2005
    zioman011
    [QUOTE=Dr Shteeve]Yes, that was my original question. It does seem that there is some disagreement, however. Although roll will depend somewhat on ball trajectory, draw versus fade, i.e., swing characteristics, it is more dependent on course conditions, i.e. hard vs. soft fairways, slopes, wind, etc. It seems to me carry distance is the number that should be able to be determined as far as what an expected carry distance is for a given swingspeed. I suspect there are some stats out there (not the Tour stats, except maybe the Senior Tour).[/QUOTE]

My swing speed average from callaway golf was 112. Average drive is in the 270-280 range. However, I can just as easily hit it 230. With your swing speed 235-250 should be about the norm. You state that you use a stiff flex driver.... my want to take a look at a regular flex.... You want to use the softest flex that you can control... Also a previously mentioned mechanics have alot to do with impact and distance...
  • 04-28-2005
    therealdude
    You're right, carry yardage is the most important and many shaft manufactureres have fitting guides for their shafts based on swing speed and/or carry distance. Check fujikuragolf.com for example click on shafts and then on the "fitting guide" button or juct click this link if it comes up: [url]http://www.fujikuragolf.com/images/speeder_fitguide.jpg[/url]

You will see that their chart shows Reg flex applying to swing speeds in the 80-90 range and carry distance in the 215-235 range. I'd say give reg flex a try.
  • 04-28-2005
    Dr Shteeve
    [QUOTE=therealdude]You're right, carry yardage is the most important and many shaft manufactureres have fitting guides for their shafts based on swing speed and/or carry distance. Check fujikuragolf.com for example click on shafts and then on the "fitting guide" button or juct click this link if it comes up: [url]http://www.fujikuragolf.com/images/speeder_fitguide.jpg[/url]

You will see that their chart shows Reg flex applying to swing speeds in the 80-90 range and carry distance in the 215-235 range. I'd say give reg flex a try.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. I ended up with my current shaft - GD YS-6 - at least in part because they seem to have shaft flexes for the "in-between" swingspeeds like mine. Except for distance, I'm very happy with the shafts (have them in my 3 and 5 woods, also). With the Fujikura chart, you'll notice that I might be in the regular flex category for carry, but swing speed is solidly in the middle of the stiff flex. We all can lie all we want about length and the like, but swing speed monitors usually (should be) accurate, and my swing speed has measured 98-99 many times on many different monitors. I will go hit some demos with various shafts and see if that seems to make a difference. I can't demo the Fujikuras, to my knowledge, unless I find someone with one, and almost everyone I meet that has them is using the 757 Speeder in at least the S-flex - I don't think I've ever met someone with a Speeder in an R-flex. I could care less - S/R/Senior - the egos not the issue, performance is. I do use regular flex in my irons and definitely prefer it to stiff, which I consider more of a feel issue (I don't care much about distance in my irons).
  • 04-28-2005
    zioman011
    [QUOTE=Dr Shteeve]Thanks for the link. I ended up with my current shaft - GD YS-6 - at least in part because they seem to have shaft flexes for the "in-between" swingspeeds like mine. Except for distance, I'm very happy with the shafts (have them in my 3 and 5 woods, also). With the Fujikura chart, you'll notice that I might be in the regular flex category for carry, but swing speed is solidly in the middle of the stiff flex. We all can lie all we want about length and the like, but swing speed monitors usually (should be) accurate, and my swing speed has measured 98-99 many times on many different monitors. I will go hit some demos with various shafts and see if that seems to make a difference. I can't demo the Fujikuras, to my knowledge, unless I find someone with one, and almost everyone I meet that has them is using the 757 Speeder in at least the S-flex - I don't think I've ever met someone with a Speeder in an R-flex. I could care less - S/R/Senior - the egos not the issue, performance is. I do use regular flex in my irons and definitely prefer it to stiff, which I consider more of a feel issue (I don't care much about distance in my irons).[/QUOTE] I also use a regular flex in my irons. It allows me to draw the ball which is not my normal shot pattern..
  • 04-28-2005
    jim983
    This is funny. Most of the guys on tour aren't pulling out driver on every measurable hole so yes there average driver distance may be 260 to 300+. But there are many people out there who can swing the club incredibly fast. For example, I was on a simulator the weekn of a certain tour event with a few of the pros in the field. It told ball speed, launch angle , distnces's etc., and the results were really surprising. They weren't the biggest hitters, because when I looked them up on the pga driving satistics they were only 280 ish compared to john daly and tiger. But, There drives were I tell you about 40 longer than the website. So these guys are a lot longer than you think. Being that I own a golf achiever I know someone with a 100 mph swing should with the correct contact and equipment get 250 ish.
  • 04-28-2005
    Dr Shteeve
    [QUOTE=jim983]This is funny. Most of the guys on tour aren't pulling out driver on every measurable hole so yes there average driver distance may be 260 to 300+. But there are many people out there who can swing the club incredibly fast. For example, I was on a simulator the weekn of a certain tour event with a few of the pros in the field. It told ball speed, launch angle , distnces's etc., and the results were really surprising. They weren't the biggest hitters, because when I looked them up on the pga driving satistics they were only 280 ish compared to john daly and tiger. But, There drives were I tell you about 40 longer than the website. So these guys are a lot longer than you think. Being that I own a golf achiever I know someone with a 100 mph swing should with the correct contact and equipment get 250 ish.[/QUOTE]

Assuming you mean carry, not total distance, that is probably what I am looking for, as an average (I would actually be very happy with an average 240 carry). I do occasionally hit it 275+, and occasionally carry 250, but 225 is more like my average carry, not 250. I will work on that this summer and report back, although improving my tempo (slower) and short game (tempo and softness) are this years priorities.
  • 04-29-2005
    therealdude
    [QUOTE=jim983]This is funny. Most of the guys on tour aren't pulling out driver on every measurable hole so yes there average driver distance may be 260 to 300+. But there are many people out there who can swing the club incredibly fast. For example, I was on a simulator the weekn of a certain tour event with a few of the pros in the field. It told ball speed, launch angle , distnces's etc., and the results were really surprising. They weren't the biggest hitters, because when I looked them up on the pga driving satistics they were only 280 ish compared to john daly and tiger. But, There drives were I tell you about 40 longer than the website. So these guys are a lot longer than you think. Being that I own a golf achiever I know someone with a 100 mph swing should with the correct contact and equipment get 250 ish.[/QUOTE]

Quick note:
    The PGA driving stats are based on two measured drives per round as noted at the bottom of the stat chart on their site. Presumably the two holes measured are holes where everyone plays driver (e.g. just about any par 5).
  • 04-29-2005
    jim983
    Thats tere goal, but they often don't hit driver and hit 3 wood. I have seen tiger hit 2 irons of the tees on par 5's before.
  • 04-29-2005
    therealdude
    [QUOTE=jim983]Thats tere goal, but they often don't hit driver and hit 3 wood. I have seen tiger hit 2 irons of the tees on par 5's before.[/QUOTE]
    Hard to believe Tiger averages 300 hitting 2-iron
  • 04-29-2005
    Dr Shteeve
    [QUOTE=golf-addict]Therealdude is about right, you might have another 20-30 yards to gain. My swing speed is averaged around 88-90, mid-tempo, 10 years younger, 2 inch taller, similar weigtht. After I optimized my driver, Adams Redline 9.5, purple ice S-flex, it regularly goes 220-230 (including 10 yards roll, Some time bombs out 250 yards, once about 270 yards with the help of winds and downhill). You should be in 240-250 range, in theory. However, young guns are much more flexible than us mid-ages, and the swing tempo is so different among individuals

I think Cleveland 460 comp might be 10 yards more in my hand with NVS 75 S.

Somewhat after using my optimal driver for a few months, I seem to be able to hit other 300cc or 363cc old heads with much more consistency without much difference in distances. By the way, the non-conforming driver does not always have advantage these days, I used Adams 363R (stock graphite R), Killer Bee's 500cc (Rifle 6.0), Snake Eyes Aermet(Phoenixx Thermo Pro, unfortunately discontiued), they are more or less comparable now. Proper loft and weight design on the head, shaft combination seem to be more crucial.[/QUOTE]

Here's a table that would seem to suggest that I'm about where expected. Although I'm the one who started this thread, I would say this looks about right, other posts notwithstanding.

[url]http://www.swingspeedradar.com/pages/931634/[/url]
  • 04-29-2005
    akap4surf
    the reatest golf advice ive ever gotten was hit it harder and if it doesnt go straight hit it harder!
  • 04-29-2005
    JasonMacIsaac
    Hrrrrm I have 115-120 clubhead speed and I only hit it 270-280 on average with roll......when I hear people who have 100 clubhead speed and fly it 250-260 I nearly puke.
  • 04-29-2005
    BogeyGolf
    [QUOTE=therealdude]Quick note:
    The PGA driving stats are based on two measured drives per round as noted at the bottom of the stat chart on their site. Presumably the two holes measured are holes where everyone plays driver (e.g. just about any par 5).[/QUOTE]

I think they are measured on 2 holes of opposite direction as well to account for wind assisted drives.
  • 05-02-2005
    zioman011
    [QUOTE=JasonMacIsaac]Hrrrrm I have 115-120 clubhead speed and I only hit it 270-280 on average with roll......when I hear people who have 100 clubhead speed and fly it 250-260 I nearly puke.[/QUOTE]
    I have been told by a few teaching professionals that you should get about 2.5 yards of distance per each mph of clubhead speed. that is based on solid contact and excellent launch angle.. so someone who has a clubhead speed should hit the ball 250 yards in a no wind condition with everything else being equal... but we also know we don't always hit it pure and so we get less distance..The Pros are measured on 4 holes in each round 2 into the prevailing wind and 2 against...and yes some may use a 2iron on those holes.. Look at tiger and Daily the were averaging 313 - 319 yard in driving distances but when you watch the tournament they hit some of their drives 360-370...
  • 05-02-2005
    jc@bg
    Now you're talking my language (see link below). The Sports Radar chart shows an average golfer with 95 mph driver SS carrying his drives an average of 212 yards. This is my swing speed (95), and 212 is probably my average carry. My equipment is about as optimized as it can get, including multiple custom-made drivers (SMT, Bang) with top-shelf aftermarket shafts (mostly Accuflex). So in fairly warm conditions with no hurting wind, my well-struck drives average 225-230 carry. 240 would be a blast, and 250 legendary. Right now our weather is in the 40s, it's very damp, and the wind is howling. (Think British Open on a bad day.) Some of my best-struck drives go 190 in this weather. Very humbling.

What amazes me about the touring professionals is that even in the worst weather, they still can carry the ball 260 into the wind. In addition to very strong clubhead speed, they hit the ball really, really pure.

[QUOTE=Dr Shteeve]Here's a table that would seem to suggest that I'm about where expected. Although I'm the one who started this thread, I would say this looks about right, other posts notwithstanding.

[url]http://www.swingspeedradar.com/pages/931634/[/url][/QUOTE]
  • 05-11-2005
    HappyW@*!
    Im 5'9 140lbs and just started playing this february, I was at GolfSmith yesterday testing out some drivers. To my surprise, my swing was on average 100-105 with 107 max and with Cleveland Launcher I was able to hit straight about 250-260 consistantly, however with Ping G2 and King cobra I kept slicing wayyyyyyyyy to the right. I ended up buying the launcher.
  • 12-24-2007
    Hacker100
    Steroids
    Is there anyone out there who does not think the tremendous and unprecedented increase in driving distance on the tour is not due to steroids?
  • 12-24-2007
    pingman360
    [QUOTE=Hacker100]Is there anyone out there who does not think the tremendous and unprecedented increase in driving distance on the tour is not due to steroids?[/QUOTE]

i dont think that at all... look at the ball, the cor's, the cg, the shaft... that is what has lead to increased ballspeeds and thus increases in distance...
  • 12-24-2007
    Brock
    I think drugs are not as prevalent on tour as they could be in other sports....why? well steroids to get stronger are going to bulk you up and affect flexibility and tempo of swing.....then if you take like beta blockers to calm you down and reduce anxiety around greens.....what happens the next tee shot when you need to get agressive....I dont think being too relaxed is good either.

The only thing that might be of use is blood doping to give your blood the higher o2 levels...

but like I have said before and heard it from european tour rep....If Tiger is tested and is clean then what does it matter what anyone else is doing as it has not helped them unseat the Number 1 player in the world. So how good is it for golf really?

LOL hahahahahahahhaaha Now if Ochoa comes on the mens tour and out drives Tiger and spanks his tail once or twice then we might need to see what is happening....or could just be estrogen :D
  • 12-24-2007
    poe4soul
    Steroids are not just used to gain large amount of muscle mass. The can also be used to increase stamina and to help with inflammation. Look at the pictures in MLB who used steroids. The were using it to aid in recovery after pitching a game. Look at professional cyclist. They use steroids. Steroids used in conjunction with physical activity aids in recovery time pure and simple.

The claim of aggression only comes from large doses associated with anabolic steroid use such as body builders. I don't think this would be an issue for the tour player looking for an edge against his competitors.

If they tested without warning last year they would have found abusers. I don't think it will be a problem with the amount of warning time they have given. The users will have the time to clean up there act. But to think that none of the players on the tour would not take the advantage is just naive.
  • 12-24-2007
    dorkman53
    It's the equipment. The balls, the shafts, the COR of the clubs, the science and computer analysis that makes equipment match the player are all factors in the increased distance. Are there PGA players using steroids? Who knows, but I can say for certainty that in my mid-50's I'm hitting WAY farther than I ever did as a teenager or in my 20's, and I do not take steroids. In fact, since I lost my testicles and both legs in that dreadful tractor accident, my voice is higher than ever, but my drives probably average 30 yards longer. (Not that I am advocating chopping off one's testicles, legs, arms, or head simply to increase driving distance......)
  • 12-24-2007
    collegegolfer
    People might be using them but it's more equipment. 100% without a doubt.
  • 12-25-2007
    Lil'Mike
    That distance sounds about right. If you want to squeeze a little more just try simple things like trying a new ball or alternating ball flight.
  • 12-26-2007
    Not a hacker
    I agree that the PGA Tour average drive statistics are not a true indicatiopn of how far tour pros can hit the ball. They don't try to bust every drive and hit less than driver on many holes that count towards the stats. The tour also usually uses two holes that are in different directions so one of the drives in into the wind. Tour pros are more concerned in finding the fairway and most say they swing at about 80% most of the time. In any tour event you will see long par 5's where more than half the field are way over 300 yards. Amatuers are obsessed with distance and try to absolutely bust every drive, mishit nine out of ten, but use the one drive a round when the stars align to find their stated 'average'. I used to play regularly with a guy who was a pro, and on the course I would regularly hit my drives past him. But when we were at his driving range and there was no pressure on to find the fairway, he would regularly fly the back fence, which I could only just reach the bottom of on the fly, so he was at least 30 past me.

As to your original question Shteeve, I think your stats stack up pretty good for your swing speed. I would just stick to comparing your distance to your playing partners, not the ridiculous distances quoted by choppers on forums like here.
  • 12-26-2007
    golfaholic
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]

As to your original question Shteeve, I think your stats stack up pretty good for your swing speed. I would just stick to comparing your distance to your playing partners, not the ridiculous distances quoted by choppers on forums like here.[/QUOTE]

Thread started 2 years ago, yeah?
  • 12-26-2007
    [QUOTE=therealdude]Not sure how this thread turned into a bunch of people complaining about guys who overestimate or outright lie about their driving distance. I just checked the PGA site and average driving distance for 183 tour players rnages from 300+ to roughly 260. No reason not to expect that decent players can occassionally poke one way out there but that occassional poke would not be their average. Anyway, the guy asked a simple question, essentially, "should I be hitting longer than 240?" I think we can all agree that he should be closer to 255-260 when striking the ball well.[/QUOTE]

How long have you been hanging around this forum? EVERY thread degenerates into some sort of complaint, and it usually involves lying and cheating of some sort. :-)

If that didn't happen, I'd think I logged onto the wrong forum.
  • 12-26-2007
    lorenzoinoc
    I'm sorry to report that Dr. Shteeve met his demise over 2-1/2 years ago while on a golfing trip to Viet Nam. I, the executor of his estate, appreciate your golf advice to him. If he can be contacted in the after life we will pass it along.
  • 12-26-2007
    golfaholic
    [QUOTE=lorenzoinoc]I'm sorry to report that Dr. Shteeve met his demise over 2-1/2 years ago while on a golfing trip to Viet Nam. I, the executor of his estate, appreciate your golf advice to him. If he can be contacted in the after life we will pass it along.[/QUOTE]

Well, I tried to put a stop to it but you guys wouldn't listen to me..

Blame yourselfs.

JS
  • 12-27-2007
    [QUOTE=JasonMacIsaac]Hrrrrm I have 115-120 clubhead speed and I only hit it 270-280 on average with roll......when I hear people who have 100 clubhead speed and fly it 250-260 I nearly puke.[/QUOTE]

I'm with Jason [I](except for the puking part... I only get slightly nauseous)[/I]. In the real world, my 112-114mph clubhead speed (as measured on the magic box at Golf Superstore during a 45 minute session with the driver) gets me around 275 with all things considered. I can hit it 300 but only under certain conditions. I carry it about 255, and yes I've carried 275 yard hazards before but it's all about the conditions.

I would not try to hit a driver over a 250 yard bunker or water unless it was 75 deg. F or warmer and I did not have a headwind.

Steve Stricker says he hits his driver around 290 when he hits it well. He's not quite as tall as me, but he has broader shoulders AND he has MUCHO better technique...

Therefore I do not expect to hit it 290... I expect to hit it 275...

In the real world..... of breezes and fairways and grasses and bounces and stuff like that... :-)
  • 12-27-2007
    pingman360
    [QUOTE=daveperk]I'm with Jason [I](except for the puking part... I only get slightly nauseous)[/I]. In the real world, my 112-114mph clubhead speed (as measured on the magic box at Golf Superstore during a 45 minute session with the driver) gets me around 275 with all things considered. I can hit it 300 but only under certain conditions. I carry it about 255, and yes I've carried 275 yard hazards before but it's all about the conditions.

I would not try to hit a driver over a 250 yard bunker or water unless it was 75 deg. F or warmer and I did not have a headwind.

Steve Stricker says he hits his driver around 290 when he hits it well. He's not quite as tall as me, but he has broader shoulders AND he has MUCHO better technique...

Therefore I do not expect to hit it 290... I expect to hit it 275...

In the real world..... of breezes and fairways and grasses and bounces and stuff like that... :-)[/QUOTE]

i know for a fact that my swing 109mph (normal swing not some outta my shoes swing) will get me 285yds... i am not optimally fit the reason why is i find it harder to controll when the ball goes the extra 10-15yds... so basically i have handicapped myself for the good of my own game... tour members do this same thing... for the most part are not set up for optimal distance (contrary to popular belief) some are but id say its 60% vs 40% with those who are set up to optimal on top... in short u are not et up anywhere near you need to be if you want max distance with a 112mph clubhead speed you arent far behind even Camillo who is recoded at 116mph for his avg and look how far he hits it... and for the record the average tou member swings around 110mph and look at their dist avg's
  • 12-27-2007
    [QUOTE=pingman360]i know for a fact that my swing 109mph (normal swing not some outta my shoes swing) will get me 285yds... i am not optimally fit the reason why is i find it harder to controll when the ball goes the extra 10-15yds... so basically i have handicapped myself for the good of my own game... tour members do this same thing... for the most part are not set up for optimal distance (contrary to popular belief) some are but id say its 60% vs 40% with those who are set up to optimal on top... in short u are not et up anywhere near you need to be if you want max distance with a 112mph clubhead speed you arent far behind even Camillo who is recoded at 116mph for his avg and look how far he hits it... and for the record the average tou member swings around 110mph and look at their dist avg's[/QUOTE]

I was watching "lessons from the pros" the other day with John Cook playing and talking... he had a 210 yard slightly uphill approach and said into the camera, "this is a 3 iron... not a 7 iron like you hear on TV... it's a 3 iron"...

I take from that comment that TV sometimes exaggerates the distances or the irons used... and it wouldn't surprise me...

the other possibility is that the magic box is just wrong. I've done it in two different stores, Golf Galaxy and Golf Superstore, with the results within 2 mph of each other.

So I don't know the answer here, guys. I don't swing out of my shoes, and I hit it about 275, and my swing speed is 112 to 114 mph. right about 3000 rpm on the ball. 9.5 degree driver, stiff, firm tip, 45". It starts off high, flattens out, hangs in the air a long time and rolls decently when it lands. All desirable characteristics, I'm told.

Either TV exaggerates the pros stats, or my consumer-targeted magic box in two different stores (same model? I don't know) is exaggerating.
  • 12-27-2007
    lorenzoinoc
    They rebroadcast a Grand Slam event from a few years back on The Golf Channel. On 16, a 180 yard par 3 very slightly downhill, they announcer following the group said they were all hitting 9 irons. Tiger barely took a half swing. Wind didn't appear to be a major factor.
  • 08-31-2009
    charcoes
    Interesting
    I am 20 and i hit my 3 wood 280 and that's pretty much all carry as the local course i play is a very wet inland parkland. Not carrying a driver at the moment but last time i got my swing speed checked it was 104 consistently. Now i guess it must be more. I'm copying Quieros by swinging with virtually no hip turn on the backswing. My three wood is a ys6 shafted 13deg titleist 905 series ( yeah it's a strong three more like a 2 wood but still that's long).

I love this whole distance competition. Driving it far is so much more fun than normal golf though I am good course manager. Can'twait to get my 7.5 Adams 9016d prototype. I will be driving it 320+ consistently. Peace

:)
  • 08-31-2009
    charcoes
    [QUOTE=collegegolfer]There are MANY people with wishful thinking...I swing about 120mph and I hit the ball around 280-300+. Look at some of the average guys on tour...they mostly swing 110+mph and a lot of their drives average around 270-280...these guys are on TOUR meaning they probably have good mechanics and are getting the most distance from their swing...so I always laugh when I start golfing with some guy and I hit a drive about 275 to 280 on a nice easy swing and they say things like "oh man, you must've hit that about 320." People really don't have a concept of distance...OR, some times people will hit from, say, the middle tees when I'm golfing with them and the tees will be 25 yards ahead of the "stone" from where the distance is measured from, and they'll hit a drive, subtract the yardage from the sprinkler head from the yardage on the card and say "WOW! I HIT THAT ONE 280!" I usually don't say anything but I kind of roll my eyes and think "uh, yeah, minus 25 is about 255...idiot." People just want to hit the ball long so they make stuff up or stretch the truth or forget to include that the tees were 25 yards ahead, etc. With a swing in the mid 90's I'd say on a good solid shot with no wind, no downhill, etc. you should be hitting it 240-250, tops. Also, I'm taking into account semi soft fairways...if you're playing on fairways that are like concrete then add about another 10-15 onto that I'd say. If you're hitting the ball solid with a decent trajectory don't worry about other people...[/QUOTE]

That's very true. The high handicappers do tend to do some very wishful thinking. Like the last day i was practicing I was hitting my 3wood from bare divots and one guy said to me wow man you must be hitting that 280!!! I was hitting ti 230 from that lie, which is pretty good, but he just imagined because I'm a low handicapper and because I was nailing some of them that it was going that far.

Last year I had my swing measured at 104. this year i am a lot stronger and my 3wood gets me 270 carry from the tee+. That's not a wishful thought I'm just a real long hitter looking to lower my handicap below scratch.
    What a game! love it
  • 08-31-2009
    collegegolfer
    [QUOTE=charcoes]That's very true. The high handicappers do tend to do some very wishful thinking. Like the last day i was practicing I was hitting my 3wood from bare divots and one guy said to me wow man you must be hitting that 280!!! I was hitting ti 230 from that lie, which is pretty good, but he just imagined because I'm a low handicapper and because I was nailing some of them that it was going that far.

Last year I had my swing measured at 104. this year i am a lot stronger and my 3wood gets me 270 carry from the tee+. That's not a wishful thought I'm just a real long hitter looking to lower my handicap below scratch.
    What a game! love it[/QUOTE]

Be prepared to get ripped to pieces charcoes. A newbie bragging about distance. Tsk tsk. I golf with a couple of guys who REALLY bomb it. It's ridiculous. I knock it 270+ and have driven over 320 yard par 4's with almost no wind if I REALLY get into them. I know two guys who absolutely make me look short. Their short games are weaker than mine, but it's ridiculous when I hit a decent drive 270 and am 60 yards behind them. One routinely drives a par 4 that's 320 yards with a 3 wood. There are some REALLY long hitters in the younger age groups and it'd be fun to see more of them making it on Tour.
  • 08-31-2009
    poe4soul
    That 3 wood must be delofted or you'd have to wait for it to re-enter from orbit. 320 at 15* is huge.
  • 08-31-2009
    Not a hacker
    Using 3 wood off the tee is a b!tchmove.
  • 08-31-2009
    Kiwi Player
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]Using 3 wood off the tee is a b!tchmove.[/QUOTE]

NaH you're there? Thank goodness. HB thought you had done a Brian L. Keenan and passed away. We await with bated breath your contribution to the Driving vs Putting thread.
  • 09-01-2009
    A V Twiss
    [QUOTE=Dr Shteeve]I'm 49, driver swing speed clocked consistently 95-99, 5"10", 180#, currently drive with average carry 225-230 (average total 240). I often see references in reviews to players who say there swing speed is mid or high 90's who say average driver distance (usually don't specify carry vs. total) is 260 or 265. I use current technology; current driver is ERC Fusion with GD Y-S6 stiff shaft, but I've swung plenty of shafts, other drivers, etc., without significant change in results. Am I missing something or are these other players overestimating?[/QUOTE]

They are very possibly over estimating. I'm 51 5'8" and 150 and avergae between 230 and 240. Now and again I can get it out to 265 if I hit it flush. I don't know if the data is current but I read somewhere that the world wide averagae driving distance is between 180 and 190 yards.
  • 09-01-2009
    A V Twiss
    I don't know what your handicap is but with your driving distance you should be able to hit any par 4 under 420 in regulation without much trouble. I have long since accepted the fact that I can't hit a driver any further than I do now and work exclusively on being accurate from 160 yards in and, of course, on my short game. I never take my driver to the range.
  • 09-01-2009
    Larryrsf
    [QUOTE=Dr Shteeve]Presumably my mechanics, as driver fit was with launch monitor. My ERC Fusion is 10*, ball flight seems good. Now that I'm thinking about it, mechanics may be a real issue, as I do have days that I seem to carry an average of 240, total 250-260. Probably need to carry my video and capture my swing on my best days and try to lock that in.[/QUOTE]

My numbers are about the same, 90 MPH, etc. etc.

The reason we (almost all good amateurs) cannot generate more than 90+ MPH at impact is premature release. We achieve too little wrist set on top and then release most of what we get too early. If we could preserve the "lag" as late as better golfers do, we would generate another 10+ MPH clubhead speed and more consistent accuracy.

BUT, for most of us, simply "trying harder" creates nothing but erratic direction, instead of fairways, we hit them into the woods or OB.

The answer is rather complex-- and involves the hips leading the shoulders more--more "X factor" or "separation." A good teaching pro can show you how to do it-- but likely before he starts on that he will want you to fix other fundamental faults. So it may take a series of lessons.

So if you want to spend $200+ on lessons and start down that road, almost cerrtainly you WILL become worse before you get better because very likely significant changes in your setup, arm orientation, grip, knees, weight distribution, and other things will need to be changed. Each one introduces a new factor to become accustomed to-- You may need to spend hours on the range over several months before you can play as well as you do while hitting drives only 210 yards....

Larry
  • 09-01-2009
    edgey
    I am 46 5' 11" and weigh about 210lb

I am currently hitting my 9 iron 250 yards with a swing speed of 130mph and if you think i am lying come to my course and i will prove it biatches!

Hitting anything other than 9 iron of the tee is a biatch move

Edgey

PS Burndog need not apply as he could come to my course
  • 09-01-2009
    ProStatus
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]Using 3 wood off the tee is a b!tchmove.[/QUOTE]
    What about 5 wood off the tee.:D
  • 09-01-2009
    lorenzoinoc
    [QUOTE=edgey]I am 46 5' 11" and weigh about 210lb
    Edgey

[/QUOTE]

I'm puzzled whenever I see overweight people in the UK. Where are they getting their food? Maybe they're just loading up on English cheese.
  • 09-02-2009
    No_Idea
    [QUOTE=Larryrsf]

[B]The answer is rather complex[/B]

Larry[/QUOTE]

The answer is rather complex..
  • 09-03-2009
    FreakOfNature
    I love how people who swing around 90mph have all the answers to how guys like me are able to swing 120+mph...

Still wondering why people who "know it all" are still 50-100yds shorter than me off the tee.

FON
  • 09-05-2009
    Mizuno>Ping
    [QUOTE=edgey]I am 46 5' 11" and weigh about 210lb

I am currently hitting my 9 iron 250 yards with a swing speed of 130mph and if you think i am lying come to my course and i will prove it biatches!

Hitting anything other than 9 iron of the tee is a biatch move

Edgey

PS Burndog need not apply as he could come to my course[/QUOTE]

Holy cow, you're 95 kilograms at only 5'11"? What on earth do you eat?
  • 09-05-2009
    Mizuno>Ping
    If you are flexible you can 'separate' your upper body, keeping your knees and hips absolutely still while fully rotating your shoulders. This way, your body acts as a coiled spring, and when you reach the apex of your swing, turning through with your body first and hands just following will let you achieve faster swing speeds.
  • 09-05-2009
    Mizuno>Ping
    [QUOTE=FreakOfNature]I love how people who swing around 90mph have all the answers to how guys like me are able to swing 120+mph...

Still wondering why people who "know it all" are still 50-100yds shorter than me off the tee.

FON[/QUOTE]

I love how people who brag about how they outdrive others by 50-100 yards get trashed by short hitters. Getting it close to the pin requires a little bit of distance with more emphasis on accuracy.
    120+ mph is okay, but with a 10 handicap? You must be those who only hit 5.56% of fairways (i.e, 1 in 18).
  • 09-08-2009
    FreakOfNature
    [QUOTE=Mizuno>Ping]I love how people who brag about how they outdrive others by 50-100 yards get trashed by short hitters. Getting it close to the pin requires a little bit of distance with more emphasis on accuracy.
    120+ mph is okay, but with a 10 handicap? You must be those who only hit 5.56% of fairways (i.e, 1 in 18).[/QUOTE]

Who the fukk are you?

A shortknocking 10 handicap from on high sent to defeat me?

Nope, just some 18 year old punk kid with a + index who would have to give me five shots a side.

You would not beat me in a total driving competition - I don't care how low your index is. Driving the ball is my "thing", in the same way that ejaculating into a sock is your "thing".

Good on you for being a + though. I have respect for ability. Perhaps, in time, you will too.

FON
  • 09-09-2009
    The Purist
    [QUOTE=FreakOfNature] Driving the ball is my "thing", in the same way that ejaculating into a sock is your "thing".
    [/QUOTE]
    That used to my thing too, back when I did my own laundry. Now, out of respect, Ive switched to tissues.
  • 09-09-2009
    BumpnRun
    Mizuno-ping doesn't even use pings what a ****
  • 10-10-2011
    p.j.a. golf
    why are you hitting a stff shaft, ???? and what deg of loft is your driver ????
    i custom fit clubs, if you could answer these questions im sure i can help you.

regards john pja golf
  • 10-11-2011
    The Purist
    [QUOTE=p.j.a. golf;253847]why are you hitting a stff shaft, ???? and what deg of loft is your driver ????
    i custom fit clubs, if you could answer these questions im sure i can help you.

regards john pja golf[/QUOTE]

Could you go over some of your credentials. Who taught you how to fit clubs? How do I know you are legit?
  • 10-11-2011
    Fluffy
    I require a x stiff 83g shaft in a callaway driver set at 8 degrees of loft.With a low launch angle or high kick point...

seriously...
  • 10-11-2011
    Larryrsf
    [QUOTE=Dr Shteeve;37816]I'm 49, driver swing speed clocked consistently 95-99, 5"10", 180#, currently drive with average carry 225-230 (average total 240). I often see references in reviews to players who say there swing speed is mid or high 90's who say average driver distance (usually don't specify carry vs. total) is 260 or 265. I use current technology; current driver is ERC Fusion with GD Y-S6 stiff shaft, but I've swung plenty of shafts, other drivers, etc., without significant change in results. Am I missing something or are these other players overestimating?[/QUOTE]

You are being honest. And unless you learn to carry fully set wrists deeper into your downswing, your clubhead speed at impact will not top 90 MPH in another few years.

Clubhead speed at impact is almost entirely about technique and only slightly about effort. Amateurs mostly swing their guts out and cast it all away every swing. 99% of amateurs waste their effort because their highest clubhead speed occurs long before the clubhead reaches the ball. They decelerate every swing.

The answer is simple-- but not easy to accomplish.

Hogan told us the secret. He correctly described the golf swing as a cascading series of moves, First hips, then shoulders, then arms and hands. Each move builds on the foundation setup by the preceeding one.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL_6M_xZvq0[/url]

I believe the only way to change your ingrained swing is to rehease the swing sequence in slow motion over and over again. Then hit balls only a few yards while exaggerating the sequence. Each time you allow your arms and hands to race ahead of your hips, slow down and do it again.

This is worth working for. TPI says that fewer than 1% of amateurs actually swing in the correct sequence-- actually have their hips leading their shoulders. Turn, SHIFT, swing. In each club, those are always the top golfers, the Club Champion and those who play at his level.

Ask a teaching pro. I really believe every one will tell you that the ONLY possible way to accomplish a significant swing change is hard work over time, persistence, persistence, persistence. So if you are serious, you must take lessons and then put in the hard work to change your swing. Golf is very analogous to learning to play a musical instrument.

Larry
  • 10-11-2011
    p.j.a. golf
    ok i am a calss aa teacher at golf, i have been teaching and fitting for almost 26 years.

i have a fitting shop in thailand [url]www.pjagolf.com[/url] we have the trackman machine.

my teachers have been bob torrance and john jacobs from england.

i am from scotland myself.

my email is [email]john.brown@pjagolf.com[/email]

i hope this is what you are looking for

regards john
  • 10-11-2011
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=p.j.a. golf;253893]ok i am a calss aa teacher at golf, i have been teaching and fitting for almost 26 years.

i have a fitting shop in thailand [url]www.pjagolf.com[/url] we have the trackman machine.

regards john[/QUOTE]

He was only yanking your chain as is the common practice around here. But thanks for the info and for not taking offence at the question.
  • 10-12-2011
    Kiwi Player
    [QUOTE=p.j.a. golf;253893]ok i am a calss aa teacher at golf, i have been teaching and fitting for almost 26 years.

regards john[/QUOTE]

Thanks John

I'm sure Dr Shteeve will call in for a fitting next time he is in Thailand. That is assuming of course that he's checked back on this forum in the past [I][B]six[/B][/I] years. :D
  • 10-12-2011
    The Purist

regards john[/QUOTE]

Awesome. Do you live in Bangkok? I bet they play that 80's song by Murray Head all the time.

Actually, what I really wanted to know is if you ever get a chance to play golf in Vietnam?

Viva La Tesee!