• 03-09-2008
    Strick
    Oversized Putter Grip/ Can It Help?
    On fast greens with a shorter putting stroke I'm decent. On slow greens which require a longer stroke or more clubhead speed I am HORRIBLE! I've tried heavy putters, light putters, different hand positions, different stances, ect. and nothing FEELS right! When it doesn"t FEEL right there is no consistancy thus no confidence. I've tried hard to be positive over the putt, but without FEEL the stroke is still inconsistant. So since it always seems to come down to a lack of FEEL, I thought maybe these oversize grips that seem popular today might work. With less constricted hands, I believe the grip pressure should be lighter. If anyone has tried oversize grips, I would like to know what affect it has had on your putting? Thanks.
  • 03-09-2008
    golfaholic
    [QUOTE=Strick]On fast greens with a shorter putting stroke I'm decent. On slow greens which require a longer stroke or more clubhead speed I am HORRIBLE! I've tried heavy putters, light putters, different hand positions, different stances, ect. and nothing FEELS right! When it doesn"t FEEL right there is no consistancy thus no confidence. I've tried hard to be positive over the putt, but without FEEL the stroke is still inconsistant. So since it always seems to come down to a lack of FEEL, I thought maybe these oversize grips that seem popular today might work. With less constricted hands, I believe the grip pressure should be lighter. If anyone has tried oversize grips, I would like to know what affect it has had on your putting? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

[URL="http://www.golfsmith.com/products/TS1000?PHPSESSID=c7b574c15a643e9044cd4813225acfa8#"]http://www.golfsmith.com/products/TS1000?PHPSESSID=c7b574c15a643e9044cd4813225acfa8#[/URL]

Put one of those on today.

We'll see what happens.
  • 03-09-2008
    TmacG
    I have a decent size lamkin on my putter and I really like it. Its all personal preference.

TmacG
  • 03-09-2008
    MTibbo
    Strick....I think you are saying that you want that "Super Stroke"........You dont have to look far....

[url]https://secure.techxpress.net/golfshoplive.com/images/uploads/pages/Image/Super%20Stroke%20Putting/SS_grip_group_prof_RGB.jpg[/url]

I got a Ping Standard grip on my flat stick...I like the feeling of holding as close to the shaft as possible, I like thin grips...
  • 03-17-2008
    Strick
    UPDATE: Since I started this thread, I saw that my club pro had one of my putter models with a Golf Pride Jumbo Crown grip on it. I took it out on the putting green for about an hour and man was it sweet. I got a ruler out of my truck and measured it. It was a full inch longer. Now i'm confused, was it the grip, the length, or both that made it feel so sweet. So I go out that afternoon with my putter and hang my little finger off the end to simulate an inch longer putter, it worked great. I come in to talk with the pro, and he had me grip my putter normally and make several strokes. Then he had me hang the finger off and make several strokes. He advised me that with the shorter length my posture was too stooped which tenses the mid back muscles and with the longer length it improved my posture allowing those muscles to relax, thereby creating a smoother stroke. I always knew club fitting was important but never thought to apply that to the putter. No wonder I never had any feel putting. So I put 1 inch extentions in both my putters and installed the Golf Pride Jumbo Crown grips. 5 rounds later, I can honestly say I've never felt better addressing and Stroking putts. I can now bring the putter head a little closer to my body creating a more pendulum path making those shorter putts a breeze. As for the larger grip, it allows me to not focus so much on grip pressure, which makes my distance control much better. Anyone feeling uncomfortable with the putter may want to try a posture change or a larger grip, it just might help.