• 10-22-2010
    famousdavis
    1 Attachment(s)
    What Tees should FD and Big Dave play?
    This is a poll to get feedback on what tees Big Dave and FD should play in their match at Star Ranch. See the scorecard below. Quite a gap in yardage I dare say. The poll will be binding and Dave and I will play whatever tee wins the poll.
  • 10-22-2010
    Pky6471
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]This is a poll to get feedback on what tees Big Dave and FD should play in their match at Star Ranch. See the scorecard below. Quite a gap in yardage I dare say. The poll will be binding and Dave and I will play whatever tee wins the poll.[/QUOTE]
    1- Black
    2- Blue
    3- Blue
    4- Black
    5- Black
    6- Black
    7- Black
    8- Black
    9- Black
    10- Blue
    11- Blue
    12- Black
    13- Black
    14- Black
    15- Black
    16- Blue
    17- Blue
    18- Black
  • 10-22-2010
    mongrel
    For maximum video drama and appeal, play all par 3's from the back tees. Play the three par 5's and holes 1, 6, 9, 11, and 14 from the front tees. I assume this course is somewhere in Texas and there's likely to be a bit of roll so the shorter par 4's should be driveable, at least some of them, and the 5's should be reachable in two. Sounds like great fun with the potential to be the best match yet if you both are playing your "A" kits.
  • 10-22-2010
    Not a hacker
    I voted the forward tees because it is heresy to play cast SGI CB hacker paddles from the mens tees, and there was no option for Dave to play the back tees and FD to play the forward tees with his ladies clubs.

On the subject of Ping Eye 2s, I just got back from the course and saw a set of Eye 2s. I must admit they looked perfect.....perfect sitting in the bag right next to the chipper that is.
  • 10-22-2010
    edgey
    [QUOTE=Not a hacker]I voted the forward tees because it is heresy to play cast SGI CB hacker paddles from the mens tees, and there was no option for Dave to play the back tees and FD to play the forward tees with his ladies clubs.

On the subject of Ping Eye 2s, I just got back from the course and saw a set of Eye 2s. I must admit they looked perfect.....perfect sitting in the bag right next to the chipper that is.[/QUOTE]

Like Sooners chipper next to his Mizzie "players" clubs.

How are the Powerbilts....................

Edgey
  • 10-23-2010
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=edgey]Like Sooners chipper next to his Mizzie "players" clubs.

How are the Powerbilts....................

Edgey[/QUOTE]
    As I have stated on numerous occassions, for my talent levels and time available to practice, they are a perfect fit. Even if I had more time to practice I still think I would keep them, they give me more confidence standing over the ball than any other set I've owned. I've shot the three lowest rounds of my life with those shovels (1 X 1 over and 2 X 2 over), and I honestly don't think I could find a set of irons I like as much. I feel the same way about the Powerbilts as you probably feel about your Pings, but probably not quite the same way as FD feels about his beloved Eye 2s.
  • 10-23-2010
    dorkman53
    I'd suggest playing every other even numbered tee from the whites, and every third odd numbered tee from the blacks. Hole numbers that are prime numbers should be played from the blues. Holes that the square root of the square of the tee number is the same as the original number could be played from the tee box to be determined by the result of a coin toss, provided they use a three sided coin commonly in use in Slobivastan..........
  • 10-23-2010
    FreakOfNature
    I voted "playah's" tees, because the ladies will probably have left the blues all hacked to bits.

Even from the tips, the course only has ONE man-sized par 5. There are a couple lengthy par 4's from the tips though. Still, it should be little more than a driver + mid-iron for you guys on even the longest of those.

It's not like you guys are shortknockers... right? ;)

Good thing all GR polls are binding. :cool:

FON
  • 10-25-2010
    famousdavis
    It's too bad the blue tees aren't 6600 yard instead of 6300. If it's wet 7,000 is going to be incredibly long. I think the suggestion of playing blues on the Par 4s and black on 3's and 5's is a good idea. Either way is fine.
  • 10-25-2010
    Pky6471
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]It's too bad the blue tees aren't 6600 yard instead of 6300. If it's wet 7,000 is going to be incredibly long. I think the suggestion of playing blues on the Par 4s and black on 3's and 5's is a good idea. Either way is fine.[/QUOTE]
    Here is my suggestion: whoever won a hole should make a call on the next hole :rolleyes:
  • 10-25-2010
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]It's too bad the blue tees aren't 6600 yard instead of 6300. If it's wet 7,000 is going to be incredibly long. I think the suggestion of playing blues on the Par 4s and black on 3's and 5's is a good idea. Either way is fine.[/QUOTE]
    I know it's hard when you've got ping Eye 2s in the bag, but try and grow a pair and play form the men's tees. I can't believe this is even being discussed. This is a GR title match for christ's sake.
  • 10-25-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=Not a hacker]I know it's hard when you've got ping Eye 2s in the bag, but try and grow a pair and play form the men's tees. I can't believe this is even being discussed. This is a GR title match for christ's sake.[/quote]

That's right, I forgot we are all manly men. I shall play from the Championship tees at over 7,000 yards. So let it be written, so let it be done. I'd better go practice my hybrids. BTW...I forgot who but someone mentioned something about Dave and I hitting nothing worse than mid irons into all the greens. In late October in the morning...I don't think so.
  • 10-25-2010
    Home-slicer
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]That's right, I forgot we are all manly men. I shall play from the Championship tees at over 7,000 yards. So let it be written, so let it be done. I'd better go practice my hybrids. BTW...I forgot who but someone mentioned something about Dave and I hitting nothing worse than mid irons into all the greens. In late October in the morning...I don't think so.[/QUOTE]
    I like the idea of blues on the fours. Blacks on the threes and fives.
  • 10-25-2010
    edgey
    This Poll needs more pseudonyms. Where is NAG, Cargo Shorts etc
  • 10-25-2010
    Mward2002
    NAH, they change tee positions and such on big level tours from day to day. It's not out of the realm of possibility to do the same in a GR event. In fact, it wouldn't be a true GR event unless there was a par 4 that was drivable and a short par 5. That's how you weed out the hack Corey Pavin like choppers from the real men.
  • 10-26-2010
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]That's right, I forgot we are all manly men. [B]I shall play from the Championship tees at over 7,000 yards. So let it be written, so let it be done.[/B] I'd better go practice my hybrids. BTW...I forgot who but someone mentioned something about Dave and I hitting nothing worse than mid irons into all the greens. In late October in the morning...I don't think so.[/QUOTE]
    Now that's more like it. I think the extra adrenalin of playing in a GR title match in front of the cameras will give you an extra 10 yards on every shot and will make up for the conditions.
  • 10-26-2010
    daveperkins
    [QUOTE=Mward2002]NAH, they change tee positions and such on big level tours from day to day. It's not out of the realm of possibility to do the same in a GR event. In fact, it wouldn't be a true GR event unless there was a par 4 that was drivable and a short par 5. That's how you weed out the hack Corey Pavin like choppers from the real men.[/QUOTE]

We could do it this way--

coin toss on first tee, winner chooses that hole's length of play.. and from then forward, the choice goes to the other player.

In this method, the choices are not made in advance. If one player needs an advantage or wishes to remove one from the other player, he can change his choice when he arrives at an important hole..

FD one hole down and coming to a long par 4? Choose the forward tee to remove Dave's length advantage. Dave needing a win on a par 5? I choose the short tees, giving myself a shot at hitting it in two.

seems like a fun way to change stuff around during the match.

FD?
  • 10-26-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=daveperkins]We could do it this way--

coin toss on first tee, winner chooses that hole's length of play.. and from then forward, the choice goes to the other player.

In this method, the choices are not made in advance. If one player needs an advantage or wishes to remove one from the other player, he can change his choice when he arrives at an important hole..

FD one hole down and coming to a long par 4? Choose the forward tee to remove Dave's length advantage. Dave needing a win on a par 5? I choose the short tees, giving myself a shot at hitting it in two.

FD?[/quote]

Sounds perfect. Done.
  • 10-26-2010
    Pky6471
    [QUOTE=daveperkins]We could do it this way--

FD?[/QUOTE]

Just like what I say big Dave... Whoever won the first hole choose the length of the next hole... that give players an incentive to (1) win a hole and (2) strategically eliminate your opponent's advantage at the next hole
  • 10-26-2010
    famousdavis
    I'm flying to Austin tomorrow morning and bringing the Ping Eye 2s with me. Friday's match should be fun.
  • 10-26-2010
    poe4soul
    [QUOTE=Pky6471]Just like what I say big Dave... Whoever won the first hole choose the length of the next hole... that give players an incentive to (1) win a hole and (2) strategically eliminate your opponent's advantage at the next hole[/QUOTE]

What if nobody wins the hole?
  • 10-26-2010
    Pky6471
    [QUOTE=poe4soul]What if nobody wins the hole?[/QUOTE]
    then whoever won the previous hole still has the benefit of making a call, not any difference than who would T first, right?:rolleyes:
  • 10-26-2010
    daveperkins
    Correct... After the coin toss its every other hole, alternating the player who makes the choice.... Regardless of who wins previous....

Safe journey, FD, i will call thursday aft. To let you know if i can make dinner.. See you on the course either way.. :-)
  • 10-26-2010
    daveperkins
    Correct... After the coin toss its every other hole, alternating the player who makes the choice.... Regardless of who wins previous....

Safe journey, FD, i will call thursday aft. To let you know if i can make dinner.. See you on the course either way.. :-)
  • 10-26-2010
    qtong
    [QUOTE=daveperkins]Correct... After the coin toss its every other hole, alternating the player who makes the choice.... Regardless of who wins previous....

Safe journey, FD, i will call thursday aft. To let you know if i can make dinner.. See you on the course either way.. :-)[/QUOTE]
    Wow, I hope it'll be simpler when I take you on... So if you lose to FD, would you no longer be champ? If that's the case wouldn't there be a second round in the day as a tie breaker or would FD just walk away with the title?
  • 10-26-2010
    famousdavis
    [quote=daveperkins]Correct... After the coin toss its every other hole, alternating the player who makes the choice.... Regardless of who wins previous....

Safe journey, FD, i will call thursday aft. To let you know if i can make dinner.. See you on the course either way.. :-)[/quote]

You said correct but I don't think that's what the previous poster was asking. Anyway, the way I understand it we flip a coin before the first hole. If Dave wins the coin toss he chooses the tee on the first hole. Then, regardless of who wins the first hole, I will choose the tees on the second hole. Then Dave chooses on the third hole and so on.
  • 10-27-2010
    daveperkins
    [QUOTE=famousdavis]You said correct but I don't think that's what the previous poster was asking. Anyway, the way I understand it we flip a coin before the first hole. If Dave wins the coin toss he chooses the tee on the first hole. Then, regardless of who wins the first hole, I will choose the tees on the second hole. Then Dave chooses on the third hole and so on.[/QUOTE]
    You got it right fd... I had misunderstood previous... It is alternating choice after coin toss....