• 07-12-2005
    echoes77
    Any suggestions for drills on hitting down and through the ball?
    My iron play is so inconsistent....any suggestions of some specific drills?

Thanks!
  • 07-12-2005
    golf-addict
    Learned from one of pros in lesson:

put a piece of grass right behind the ball (just inside the back edge of the ball) or without ball , only do 1/4 swing (arms from 3 O'clock to 9), focusing on nice tempo back and through with good belly button facing target finishes, shaft vertical to ground at 3 and 9. should pick up the grass everytime. Typically with 9 or PW, feet close, ball near right foot or just outside. I use close stance and 1/4 swing to get the correct swing feel back if the wood or driver starts to spray, sometimes 3/4 and feet close even on the course when swing went in the air.
  • 07-12-2005
    rhinogolfer
    1-practice, practice, practice

couple drills i was taught:
    tee it up half inch or so, put feet right together. Hit the ball, using only shoulder turn.

focus your eyes on a specific dimple on the ball, and continue to watch it even after impact.

think about feeling your left shoulder turn under your chin on the backswing, and feeling your right shoulder under your chin after impact.

just a couple thoughts from a hacker lol
  • 07-12-2005
    Terp
    Another drill
    Here is a drill I have used since trying it during a lesson a few years ago. I have shared this with the teaching pro I currently take lessons with and he likes it too.

Buy a bag of BB's - that's right, the kind you had for a BB gun when you were a kid. Instead of hitting a golf ball. Place a BB on the mat and hit the BB. If you can hit the BB, you can definitely hit a golf ball. It really helps if you have been hitting thin shots with your irons.
  • 07-13-2005
    Mr. Brightside
    Alternative
    [QUOTE=Terp]Here is a drill I have used since trying it during a lesson a few years ago. I have shared this with the teaching pro I currently take lessons with and he likes it too.

Buy a bag of BB's - that's right, the kind you had for a BB gun when you were a kid. Instead of hitting a golf ball. Place a BB on the mat and hit the BB. If you can hit the BB, you can definitely hit a golf ball. It really helps if you have been hitting thin shots with your irons.[/QUOTE]

Or you can use mini m&ms and eat them afterwards...mmm.
  • 07-13-2005
    bethpage caddy
    mmmmm... im also sure the range guys would appreciate you smacking bb's out onto his range
  • 07-14-2005
    SDB1
    If you are practicing off the grass place a tee in front of the ball maybe 8" and about 1" outside your target line. Also mark the position your ball starts in with some sort of marker (another tee) so you can check where the club contacted the ground in relation to where your ball was. When you swing try and swing towards the tee that you placed 8" past the ball and when you check your divot make sure it started past where your ball initially was by looking at your ball position marker in relation to your divot. This will encourage an inside out swingpath that catches the ball on the bottom of your swing.