• 07-17-2004
    Darth G-F
    Another swing speed vs shaft stiffness question
    Ok, I finally decided to buy new irons and got fitted for Cleveland TA7. The fitter measured my swing speed with a 5 iron and I came up at 75mph on average. He said I needed a regular flex shaft. I always thouhgt I needed stiff shafts as my driver speed is 100mph and is fitted with a stiff shaft.

Now I am a bit concerned about having regular flex shaft. Seems like I'm on the border of stiff and regular (150yards with 7-iron). I don't really care about distance with the irons but with dispersion. My fear with a regular flex shaft is that it may allow for more dispersion than a stiff shaft. Am I right?

On a side note, they will be fitted with True Temper sensacore shafts. They say it is a good shaft and that I shouldn't worry about it. What do you guys think?
  • 07-17-2004
    dorkman53
    The typical advice you receive from salesmen and even company reps about the correct flex based on swing speed is only a very rough approximation at best. The tempo and consistency of the swing can be a more important factor. TRY other flexes before you buy. It's YOUR money (though it will soon be theirs!). Some people with relatively slow swingspeeds may hit stiff flex shafts better than softer ones, and some with higher swingspeeds with smooth tempos and a consistent swing may do better with regular flex. Experiment. Don't take the salesman's word for it, believe me. I played regular flex shafts for years because it was "right for my swingspeed" and "you wouldn't like stiff". I finally tried some stiffer shafts, and it has substantially improved my accuracy without any loss of distance. I'm not giving a blanket endorsement for any particular shaft flex, obviously, but my point is to demo other shafts. You may be surprised at the results. Also, remember that there are really no industry standards as to what is a "regular" vs. "stiff" vs. X-flex. One brand's regular may be another's stiff, and vice versa. Furthermore, one shaft that has the same frequency as another may play differently because of tip stiffness or softness.
    Experiment. Demo.
  • 07-17-2004
    Jeff_h
    Are they upcharging you for the Sensicore shafts?? At the component level, Sensicore adds $5-6 per shaft to the cost that I personally don't think is justified. Sensicore inserts are essentially a plastic drinking straw with a piece of foam rubber wrapped around it. There's nothing wrong with it, but I feel it's just a huge waste of money. So if they want an extra $50 or so for the upgrade shafts, I'd save my money.

Dorkman gave you good advice above. If at all possible, demo some combinations at an outdoor range and judge the performance for yourself. That's especially true if they had you on a simulator. The output parameters of those machines can be tweaked and often are.

Here's the basics on the most common OEM shafts:

True Temper Dynamic Gold
    High bend point lowers trajectory

TT Dynalite Gold
    Lower bend point raises trajectory
    Weigh less than DG shafts

TT Dynamic Gold Lite
    Same characteristics as DG, but weigh less
    Tend to play slightly stiffer than DG

Royal Precision Rifle
    Stepless design that reduces vibration
    Tend to play a little softer than DG
    Bend points are lower for higher trajectory
    Frequency matched as a set

RP Rifle Lite
    Lite version of Rifle with slightly higher bend point for lower trajectory
    Frequency matched

RP Rifle Flighted
    Progressive bend points from high in the long irons to low in the short irons
    Easier to get long irons in the air
    Better trajectory control in the short irons
    Frequency matched

RP Rifle Project X
    The Smack Daddy of the Rifle family
    Developed on PGA Tour and designed for serious players
    VERY expensive for a steel shaft

Good Luck!
  • 07-17-2004
    collegegolfer
    I'm pretty sure Cleveland TA7's come "standard" with the Sensicore. So, you shouldn't be paying extra. Basically shaft stiffness is a personal choice. Yes, R's will be "less accurate" if you go after an iron, but if you're swinging normally I doubt you will notice any difference. In my case, going from S to X, I didn't notice any difference EXCEPT when I really try to go after an iron...I don't hit a massive draw with the X's. Anyway, it's a lot of personal preference. If you want stiff, get stiff...if you're getting older and think you'd maybe like a shaft that would "help the club" more, go with R. Good luck.
  • 07-17-2004
    divotman
    great advise above...
    fyi, i was also "fitted" with regular shafts a few years ago, then decided to buy TA7 irons earlier this year. i tried different flexes, and didn't notice much difference in feel between regular and stiff sensicore, but there was a difference in shot dispersion. the regular were less accurate...i haven't regretted getting stiff shafts. i love my TA7, and have hit more rounds in the 80s since getting properly fitted clubs (i was previously in the 90s most of the time).
  • 07-17-2004
    VTDivot
    [QUOTE=divotman]great advise above...
    fyi, i was also "fitted" with regular shafts a few years ago, then decided to buy TA7 irons earlier this year. i tried different flexes, and didn't notice much difference in feel between regular and stiff sensicore, but there was a difference in shot dispersion. the regular were less accurate...i haven't regretted getting stiff shafts. i love my TA7, and have hit more rounds in the 80s since getting properly fitted clubs (i was previously in the 90s most of the time).[/QUOTE]

I love my TA7's too... the sensicore is the stock shaft... and like everyone else suggests, I'd get the S flex as well.
  • 07-18-2004
    Darth G-F
    Thanks all. I will demo the TA7 with both shafts and see for myself. I will go for the best feel and the better dispertion.

Great advice! :D
  • 07-19-2004
    jc@bg
    [QUOTE=Darth G-F]Thanks all. I will demo the TA7 with both shafts and see for myself. I will go for the best feel and the better dispertion.

Great advice! :D[/QUOTE]

Darth,

I just changed (last week) from Callaway X-14 irons with "firm" graphite shafts to TA-7s with regular flex (release) sensicore. My swing speeds are nearly identical to yours, and I played stiff shafts in irons for many years. Maybe I've gotten a little smarter over the years, but in the last year or two, I've developed a much smoother tempo in my swing, which suits the regular-flex shafts very well. After 3 rounds and a couple of buckets of range balls, I can see that these TA7 irons with the regular flex shaft are going to be the best thing that's happened to my game in a long while. They are deadly accurate compared to the X-14 I played for the last two years. I'm guessing that the main reason is that they fit me better (went to 1" long from standard length clubs). I hit the stiff shaft just as solid in the demo, but I get a little higher kick from the regular flex "release" shaft, and that backspin has really straightened out my iron shots. Finally, the regular flex felt a little softer at impact, and I like the kind of feedback that suggests I've hit a shot dead-solid.

Trajectory and shaft feedback are important, but I'm sure we agree that accuracy is paramount. That said, if your tempo is more smooth and relaxed than short and quick, I'll bet you'd hit the regular flex just as straight as the stiff--and it might feel better.