• 05-19-2011
    oldplayer
    Chart showing ball spin and launch.
    Interesting graph that shows spin rate and launch angle differences between current popular balls.
    It may be old news but I thought it was worth a look.

[url]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/golf-balls/2009-05/hotlistcriteria_golfballs?currentPage=2[/url]
  • 05-19-2011
    mongrel
    My read on those charts is that there's not much difference in performance. Of course the robot was hitting all those balls with one driver and one wedge. Put a bunch of GR forumites on a grass range with our own drivers and wedges with state of the art monitors and I bet differences would be significant.
  • 05-19-2011
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;243806]Interesting graph that shows spin rate and launch angle differences between current popular balls.

[URL]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/golf-balls/2009-05/hotlistcriteria_golfballs?currentPage=2[/URL][/QUOTE]

I guess I can be cynical but I never trust those tests. I always think there is money somewhere behind it. I really don't trust the club tests that Golf Magazine and Golf Digest put out.
  • 05-19-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;243819]I guess I can be cynical but I never trust those tests. I always think there is money somewhere behind it. I really don't trust the club tests that Golf Magazine and Golf Digest put out.[/QUOTE]

If you read the fine print that accompanies many of the club and ball tests, you could find some truth to the conclusion for both the objective data and the subjective opinions. I have purchased a bunch of clubs in my bags based off Golf Mag tests. Of course I save these periodicals for five or more years and buy clubs used. In fact, I found the Golf Review website looking for review of golf equipment. Imagine my surprise when I discovered a forum to boot.
  • 05-19-2011
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=mongrel;243828]If you read the fine print that accompanies many of the club and ball tests, you could find some truth to the conclusion for both the objective data and the subjective opinions. I have purchased a bunch of clubs in my bags based off Golf Mag tests. Of course I save these periodicals for five or more years and buy clubs used. In fact, I found the Golf Review website looking for review of golf equipment. Imagine my surprise when I discovered a forum to boot.[/QUOTE]

I have found that the only way to test golf equipment is to go out on the course and play 18 holes with it. I've demoed irons out on the range and felt that they'd suit my game perfectly. Once I got out on the course they were horrible. Same thing with drivers.
  • 05-19-2011
    SoonerBS
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;243830][B]I have found that the only way to test golf equipment is to go out on the course and play 18 holes with it. I've demoed irons out on the range and felt that they'd suit my game perfectly. Once I got out on the course they were horrible. Same thing with drivers.[/B][/QUOTE]

Now THIS I definitely agree with. There is no true way of testing out equipment unless done in an actual round out on the course.
  • 05-19-2011
    12sandwich
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;243806]Interesting graph that shows spin rate and launch angle differences between current popular balls.

[url]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/golf-balls/2009-05/hotlistcriteria_golfballs?currentPage=2[/url][/QUOTE]
    The Titleist dt looks good as usual. The Gamer is a surprise. Seems those are pretty cheap.
  • 05-19-2011
    The Purist
    Interesting.

The Pinnacle Platinum Feel, Bridgestone E5, and Taylormade Burner TP seem to perform very well all around for the cost.

My favorites golf balls from the list are the B330-S and the Pro V1. Its not just the high spin rates though, those 2 seem to play softer and react more consistently. Around the green is where I lose most of my shots, so I tend to favor a softer cover that allows more spin. Pro V1's didn't do to well in the driver test, but there's always a trade off.

I used the Slazenger Raw Distance off the tee on a few holes in my captains choice tournament and it seemed like I was a good 10 yards longer than normal on those holes.

One thing I've noticed at the local Dicks Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy's in my area is the use of some kind of Maxfli ball on the putting greens. Not sure what it is or how much it costs, but it feels every bit as soft as a Pro V1 off the putter. I'm usually against all things Maxfli, but I might have to try a sleeve now that I think about it.
  • 05-19-2011
    SoonerBS
    [QUOTE=The Purist;243871]Interesting.

The Pinnacle Platinum Feel, Bridgestone E5, and Taylormade Burner TP seem to perform very well all around for the cost.

My favorites golf balls from the list are the B330-S and the Pro V1. Its not just the high spin rates though, those 2 seem to play softer and react more consistently. Around the green is where I lose most of my shots, so I tend to favor a softer cover that allows more spin. Pro V1's didn't do to well in the driver test, but there's always a trade off.

I used the Slazenger Raw Distance off the tee on a few holes in my captains choice tournament and it seemed like I was a good 10 yards longer than normal on those holes.

[B]One thing I've noticed at the local Dicks Sporting Goods and Golf Galaxy's in my area is the use of some kind of Maxfli ball on the putting greens. Not sure what it is or how much it costs, but it feels every bit as soft as a Pro V1 off the putter. I'm usually against all things Maxfli, but I might have to try a sleeve now that I think about it.[/B][/QUOTE]

The old Maxfli Blackmax balls were the equivalents to the Titleist Pro V1. The only way you could possibly find these balls now though would be through a recycler.
  • 05-19-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=12sandwich;243870]The Titleist dt looks good as usual. The Gamer is a surprise. Seems those are pretty cheap.[/QUOTE]

I've only got one Gamer left. Lost the rest in my practice fields. Softer than any other ball I've tried, especially the $45+ Prov V's and Z-Stars. The local Golf Galaxy hasn't had any in stock for almost a year. Guess they took too many sales away from the expensive models.
  • 05-19-2011
    mongrel
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;243830]I have found that the only way to test golf equipment is to go out on the course and play 18 holes with it. I've demoed irons out on the range and felt that they'd suit my game perfectly. Once I got out on the course they were horrible. Same thing with drivers.[/QUOTE]

That's true. When I buy a used club or set of irons, I expect to be changing out the shafts. When I get one that's OK as-is on the course, its a plus.
  • 05-19-2011
    Mward2002
    Maxfli released three balls a year or two ago that are supposed to be cheap high end premium balls.
  • 05-19-2011
    Kiwi Player
    [QUOTE=mongrel;243828]If you read the fine print that accompanies many of the club and ball tests, you could find some truth to the conclusion for both the objective data and the subjective opinions. I have purchased a bunch of clubs in my bags based off Golf Mag tests. Of course I save these periodicals for five or more years and buy clubs used. [B]In fact, I found the Golf Review website looking for review of golf equipment. Imagine my surprise when I discovered a forum to boot[/B].[/QUOTE]

Yeah me too. I came on asking questions about irons and got some constructive friendly responses.

A newby today asking the same questions would be told to STFU and sent packing with my (then) POS, cast, oversize, SGI chopper paddles. :D
  • 05-19-2011
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=Kiwi Player;243883]Yeah me too. I came on asking questions about irons and got some constructive friendly responses.

A newby today asking the same questions would be told to STFU and sent packing with my (then) POS cast, oversize, SGI chopper paddles. :D[/QUOTE]

Quit posting twice you Chopper!
  • 05-19-2011
    oldplayer
    From the chart the best ball for me would be the pro v 1x. My driver speed is only 98 average so i need a low spinning ball off the driver with a decent launch. The 1x has that but interestingly spins well off the wedge. I have been using the 330rx as i can compress that and notice it is similar in spin to the 1x off the driver. However it surprises me the rx compared to the 1x has poor spin off the wedge.
  • 05-19-2011
    Pky6471

[url]http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-equipment/golf-balls/2009-05/hotlistcriteria_golfballs?currentPage=2[/url][/QUOTE]

Interesting data... for the spin zone of the wedges, higher rpm would cost us more, not because of the materials, but because we want higher rpm for the wedges so they charge us more, it's just a simple rule of pricing vs performance.
    From material science standpoint, higher rpm requires higher coefficient of friction, which is - in general - due to softer polyurethane or lower Tg (glass transition temperature). Do you guys see high-end golf balls tend to scratch more?
  • 05-19-2011
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;243888]From the chart the best ball for me would be the pro v 1x. My driver speed is only 98 average so i need a low spinning ball off the driver with a decent launch. The 1x has that but interestingly spins well off the wedge. I have been using the 330rx as i can compress that and notice it is similar in spin to the 1x off the driver. However it surprises me the rx compared to the 1x has poor spin off the wedge.[/QUOTE]

I have a delimma with golf balls. I hit the Titleist NXT Tour about 10-15 yards longer with the driver and about 7 yards longer with irons than the Pro V1 or Pro V1*. I like hitting the NXT Tour with my irons because I have a high ball flight and the ball pretty much stops where it lands on the green (maybe a 2 foot backspin).

However, I find the Pro V1s spin much better on chip shots around the green and have better feel for putting.

I choose to go with the NXT Tour balls.
  • 05-19-2011
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;243895]I have a delimma with golf balls. I hit the Titleist NXT Tour about 10-15 yards longer with the driver and about 7 yards longer with irons than the Pro V1 or Pro V1*. I like hitting the NXT Tour with my irons because I have a high ball flight and the ball pretty much stops where it lands on the green (maybe a 2 foot backspin).

However, I find the Pro V1s spin much better on chip shots around the green and have better feel for putting.

I choose to go with the NXT Tour balls.[/QUOTE]

This is always the dilema it seems. Distance vs spin around the greens. That is why the stats on the 1x looked good to me.
    This is the holy grail that balls like the penta claim to posess.
    The rx is at least 5-10 longer of the tee than the pro v1 so it is hard to give up one club less into the green. Thats why the stats on the rx with wedge spin surprised me. Around the green they feel ok. I did notice a while ago i pulled out a pro v1 mid round and left all my chips short with it. It just bit on contact with the green. I had gotten used to the run out with the rx I suppose.
  • 05-19-2011
    famousdavis
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;243896]This is always the dilema it seems. Distance vs spin around the greens. That is why the stats on the 1x looked good to me.
    The rx is at least 5-10 longer of the tee than the pro v1 so it is hard to give up one club less into the green. Thats why the stats on the rx with wedge spin surprised me. Around the green they feel ok. I did notice a while ago i pulled out a pro v1 mid round and left all my chips short with it. It just bit on contact with the green. I had gotten used to the run out with the rx I suppose.[/QUOTE]

What's interesting is that all the PGA pros use a high spinning ball which I guess means that guys like Bubba Watson are leaving yards on the table (as hard as that is to believe). I should try the Pro V1x again. Maybe it's closer to the NXT tour than I think.
  • 05-19-2011
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;243898]What's interesting is that all the PGA pros use a high spinning ball which I guess means that guys like Bubba Watson are leaving yards on the table (as hard as that is to believe). I should try the Pro V1x again. Maybe it's closer to the NXT tour than I think.[/QUOTE]

The other interesting one to try is the TM burner tp. It has low spin and good launch of the driver and spins better that the rx off the wedge. (is the only second tier ball up with the reds for wedge spin.)
  • 05-19-2011
    SoonerBS
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;243896]This is always the dilema it seems. Distance vs spin around the greens. That is why the stats on the 1x looked good to me.
    The rx is at least 5-10 longer of the tee than the pro v1 so it is hard to give up one club less into the green. Thats why the stats on the rx with wedge spin surprised me. Around the green they feel ok. I did notice a while ago i pulled out a pro v1 mid round and left all my chips short with it. It just bit on contact with the green. I had gotten used to the run out with the rx I suppose.[/QUOTE]

There is no dilemma if you simply use the Taylormade Penta -- a ball that is mysteriously absent from this chart.
  • 05-19-2011
    ripit35
    looking at the chart, the TP Burner and the Gamer are the best in terms of value. I've seen the burner tp's at walmart for 19.99. The gamer is no surprise, its just the old HX tour with a different dimple pattern
  • 05-20-2011
    rooboy

Op, i used the 1x for a couple of months and noticed it was probably the longest ball for me with the driver. Strangely though, it seemed shorter with irons(keep in mind my swing speed is probably nowhere near yours). I think the trajectory was just to flat for me so i may have got more rollout with the driver . I did read somewhere that the new prov1x and prov1 are both meant to launch higher than previous models. Around the greens i didn't think the 1x was any different than the rx.
  • 05-20-2011
    oldplayer
    [QUOTE=rooboy;243947]Op, i used the 1x for a couple of months and noticed it was probably the longest ball for me with the driver. Strangely though, it seemed shorter with irons(keep in mind my swing speed is probably nowhere near yours). I think the trajectory was just to flat for me so i may have got more rollout with the driver . I did read somewhere that the new prov1x and prov1 are both meant to launch higher than previous models. Around the greens i didn't think the 1x was any different than the rx.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info Rooboy. In all probability there is not too much separating all the premium (soft cover) balls. It is still worth finding the best for an individual IMO. I am always looking for any edge with equipment, even if it is a small one. Every bit helps. I shall have a bit of a try with a few methinks.
  • 05-20-2011
    rooboy
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;243949]Thanks for the info Rooboy. In all probability there is not too much separating all the premium (soft cover) balls. It is still worth finding the best for an individual IMO. I am always looking for any edge with equipment, even if it is a small one. Every bit helps. I shall have a bit of a try with a few methinks.[/QUOTE]
    No worries Op, half the fun of golf is trying everything(don't need to tell you that!). I have come to realise i don't get any benefit out of premium balls so i've been experimenting with a trispeed,e5 and trispeed tour. After quite a few practise sessions and hitting all 3 balls side by side the trispeeds have won out just from the new e5's(trispeeds are a fraction longer and feel better when putting). Trispeed tours are just a firmer feeling trispeed and a fraction shorter than the other two, and don't spin any differently to the regular version. E5's are good balls, but just look a bit weird with the dual dimples. Will use them when conditions dry out again as they spin a bit more on chips etc.
  • 05-20-2011
    The Purist
    [QUOTE=oldplayer;243888]From the chart the best ball for me would be the pro v 1x. My driver speed is only 98 average so i need a low spinning ball off the driver with a decent launch. The 1x has that but interestingly spins well off the wedge. I have been using the 330rx as i can compress that and notice it is similar in spin to the 1x off the driver. However it surprises me the rx compared to the 1x has poor spin off the wedge.[/QUOTE]

I like the pro v1x off the tee, but to me it feels like a rock compared to the pro v1.
  • 05-20-2011
    Not a hacker
    [QUOTE=famousdavis;243895]I have a delimma with golf balls. I hit the Titleist NXT Tour about 10-15 yards longer with the driver and about 7 yards longer with irons than the Pro V1 or Pro V1*. I like hitting the NXT Tour with my irons because I have a high ball flight and the ball pretty much stops where it lands on the green (maybe a 2 foot backspin).

I choose to go with the NXT Tour balls.[/QUOTE]
    I have a similar dilemna. I like the extra spin around the greens of the Z-Star, but I definitely hit the HX Hot bite better. I'm sticking with the bite for now.