Cut 1" off the shaft?

Printable View

• 07-22-2004
    Old
    Cut 1" off the shaft?
    Hi,

New here. I'm glad I was able to find a cool Golf forum.

I started playing about 3 years ago. Took a couple Lessons back then. Took a two year break and just starting up again earlier this year. Took 4 lessons this year already. I'm ready to get serious. :)

Anyhow, I play with a set of Ping I3 Osize with stiff steel shaft. (Got it used).
    Black dot (standard).

I always choke down about an inch from the top. I hit ok I guess. If I hit the 3 Iron well it'll go ~190 to 200yards. I can hit about 250 with my driver if I really nail it good, but on avg. is probably like 220.
    My instructor told me (during my last visit about 2 months ago), that I change the lie angle on my irons and also suggested I take off about 1/2 to 1" off the shaft and regrip it too. (this is for my irons and driver).
    I went ahead and did the lie angle change for my irons, but as for the shaft, he was going to charge about $8 per shaft.
    I asked him, since I already choke down anyway, what's the point? He said, so that my grip will be at the "fatter" part of the rubber grip (the top) and I can get more leverage on the ball and hit it further.
    The instructor also said that he, or his shop, were Ping fitters of the year in 2002.
    I took a swing on this board with this chalk tape thing he put at the bottom of my 6 iron and after he looked at it, he said I should be an Orange dot.

I'm about 5' 4.5" (hey, I earned that 1/2"). I weigh about 162 lb basically all muscle (I lift weights a lot).
    I talked to a guy in the office who is about a 5 handicap, and he said that if I take 1/2" or more off the shaft, than my shaft would be super stiff and weights would be all off. He suggested if anything, I just get them reshafted instead, which can be $$$. Not sure who's advice to follow, I did nothing...but now I'm starting to think maybe I should've.

My swing isn't as consistent as most of the good golfers I see at the range or course. I would top the ball, or dig too deep in the ground sometimes. But I know the proper technique to a good swing. Or atleast I was taught what it's suppose to be.

For an example, say, out of 10 swings, I would nail 6 or 7 good.

The others would be like I topped the ball and it bounces 20 yards in front, or a real bad slice or hook, etc. Stuff like this really drives the score up. (but I'm working on it.)
    I figure I just need more practice and experience to be consistent.

Anyhow, sorry for the detailed description on how I play.
    My question is: What do yall think about getting the shaft cut off about 1/2" to 1"?
    Or stick to the choke down and just run with it? Could choking down really cause grip problems b/c gripping in the wrong area? Is that why I really can't hit as far as most?
    Thanks in advance
    Old
  • 07-22-2004
    von
    [QUOTE=Old]Hi,

New here. I'm glad I was able to find a cool Golf forum.

I started playing about 3 years ago. Took a couple Lessons back then. Took a two year break and just starting up again earlier this year. Took 4 lessons this year already. I'm ready to get serious. :)

Anyhow, I play with a set of Ping I3 Osize with stiff steel shaft. (Got it used).
    Black dot (standard).

I always choke down about an inch from the top. I hit ok I guess. If I hit the 3 Iron well it'll go ~190 to 200yards. I can hit about 250 with my driver if I really nail it good, but on avg. is probably like 220.
    My instructor told me (during my last visit about 2 months ago), that I change the lie angle on my irons and also suggested I take off about 1/2 to 1" off the shaft and regrip it too. (this is for my irons and driver).
    I went ahead and did the lie angle change for my irons, but as for the shaft, he was going to charge about $8 per shaft.
    I asked him, since I already choke down anyway, what's the point? He said, so that my grip will be at the "fatter" part of the rubber grip (the top) and I can get more leverage on the ball and hit it further.
    The instructor also said that he, or his shop, were Ping fitters of the year in 2002.
    I took a swing on this board with this chalk tape thing he put at the bottom of my 6 iron and after he looked at it, he said I should be an Orange dot.

I'm about 5' 4.5" (hey, I earned that 1/2"). I weigh about 162 lb basically all muscle (I lift weights a lot).
    I talked to a guy in the office who is about a 5 handicap, and he said that if I take 1/2" or more off the shaft, than my shaft would be super stiff and weights would be all off. He suggested if anything, I just get them reshafted instead, which can be $$$. Not sure who's advice to follow, I did nothing...but now I'm starting to think maybe I should've.

My swing isn't as consistent as most of the good golfers I see at the range or course. I would top the ball, or dig too deep in the ground sometimes. But I know the proper technique to a good swing. Or atleast I was taught what it's suppose to be.

For an example, say, out of 10 swings, I would nail 6 or 7 good.

The others would be like I topped the ball and it bounces 20 yards in front, or a real bad slice or hook, etc. Stuff like this really drives the score up. (but I'm working on it.)
    I figure I just need more practice and experience to be consistent.

Anyhow, sorry for the detailed description on how I play.
    My question is: What do yall think about getting the shaft cut off about 1/2" to 1"?
    Or stick to the choke down and just run with it? Could choking down really cause grip problems b/c gripping in the wrong area? Is that why I really can't hit as far as most?
    Thanks in advance
    Old[/QUOTE]

Cutting an inch off of your shafts will change the swingweight, the clubs may still be playable to you or you may need to add lead tape to the heads. The part about holding the clubs in the fatter part for more leverage doesn't sound right to me? Its length of shaft that provides leverage, not thickness, longer the shaft, the more leverage. Is choking down on the clubs inhibiting your wrists? or your swing in any way? If not why change whats working, or eventually may work, maybe give yourself time to adjust to the Lie angle change, keep working at the range 60%-70% isn't bad and that will improve the more you practice. As for you being a "short" hitter, 190-200 yds for a 3 Iron is good distance, and so is 250 with your driver, most people don't hit their clubs as far as they think they do, I have 6 inches on you and I hit my 3 iron 200-205 on a good hit so I wouldn't call you "short", anyways good luck on figuring it out. Keep on working at it.
  • 07-22-2004
    Bravo35223
    Old:

I agree with von completely.

BTW - I have played with a friend for 20 years who is 5' 7". He can easily hit the ball over 300. So there's no need whatsover to feel that because you are "vertically challenged" you will not create sufficient power.

You're hitting it plenty far right now.
  • 07-22-2004
    Old
    Thanks for the info guys.

The choking down does not effect my wrist from hinging properly. I don't have a problem with choking down at all, since that is how I have been doing it since my first lesson 3 years ago.
    I just didn't know if I really needed to grip the clubs in that top area or not.

The 3 guys in the office can bomb it 300+ easily. But they have been playing for over 20 years, so, they have that advantage going for them. I'm pretty competitive, so I guess that's why I'm comparing myself to them, b/c I want to get to their level. Not so much as their distance, but their consitancy on hitting the ball well.

I don't feel that my lack of height is hindering my distance, I just thought it was b/c where I'm gripping the clubs (choking down) that reduces distance...atleast that is what the instructor told me...He could just be saying that to get some money out of me.
    Anyhow, thanks again.., I think I'll just keep practicing to so I can get some consitency and start playing a lot better.

ps, I just re-read my original post, and where I said I'm 162lb all muscle...that comes off as conceded...sorry, I should've said, fairly stocky...

Also, I avg. about 180yards or so with the 3 iron, the 190 to 200 is when I really smack it good.
    Old
  • 07-22-2004
    bdcrowe
    Nice to have you on the board. Yes, cutting the shaft down will make the shaft stiffer. But it will also change the swingweight of the club, which would have to be addressed to keep the same feel you have now. My opinion on the matter, with experience in both fitting and club building/repair, is to grip down on it and check your grip. If your fingers with a PROPER grip are pressing excessively into your palm, your grip is too small for your hand-- i.e you're too much in the skinny part. You could either invest the $$$ in cutting down (but remember the stiffening effect and swingweight, so reshafting?), or you could regrip with a slightly oversized grip. Also, many of the grips coming out (like the Winn-type) don't have the tapered effect, so that would be an option. That's just my humble opinion. I don't know this fitter; he is probably great. But I think any fitter who ignores simple remedies in favor high cost changes may have bottom dollar on their mind more than what's best for their client. Again just MHO, and I can't speak for him.
  • 07-22-2004
    dorkman53
    Cutting down a shaft 1/2" should not affect the stiffness of the shaft if you cutt it from the butt (grip) end. Cutting a shaft from the tip will effectively stiffen it a bit (this is called "tipping"). However, shortening the shaft will effect swingweight a bit, so that might need some compensation if you wish to keep the swingweight the same.
  • 07-22-2004
    bdcrowe
    [QUOTE=dorkman53]Cutting down a shaft 1/2" should not affect the stiffness of the shaft if you cutt it from the butt (grip) end. Cutting a shaft from the tip will effectively stiffen it a bit (this is called "tipping"). However, shortening the shaft will effect swingweight a bit, so that might need some compensation if you wish to keep the swingweight the same.[/QUOTE]
    Not to be argumentative, dorkman, but the comment that butt-cutting doesn't effect flex is erroneous. While it is true that tip-trimming has the greatest effect on stiffness, butt-cutting of only 1/2" stiffens the shaft by 3 cycles or more, depending on shaft material. Just an FYI.
  • 07-22-2004
    dorkman53
    [QUOTE=bdcrowe]Not to be argumentative, dorkman, but the comment that butt-cutting doesn't effect flex is erroneous. While it is true that tip-trimming has the greatest effect on stiffness, butt-cutting of only 1/2" stiffens the shaft by 3 cycles or more, depending on shaft material. Just an FYI.[/QUOTE]
    I should have said, "...doesn't affect the stiffness very much." I stand corrected. Thanks