Closed Face Club

Printable View

• 01-28-2009
    bubbha70
    Closed Face Club
    What can be done to counter the effects of a closed face driver / fairway wood?
    Lead tape?
    Re-shafting?
    Adjust the grip?
    Adjust my grip and open up the club face at address?
    Adjust my ball position?
    Physically altering the clubhead?

Your input would be appreciated.
  • 01-28-2009
    No_Idea
    Your Cobra must have a closed club face..
  • 01-29-2009
    bubbha70
    Actually my Cobra X/Speed driver is pretty square. My ball flight with this driver is a slight draw.

I have a couple of F Speed (2006) fairway woods (7 and 9) coming in.
    The information I've been getting (on the internet) is that the clubface is closed 1.5 degrees. Is that much?
  • 01-29-2009
    No_Idea
    That sucks dude.. I've had enough of slices (when I started) and enough of draw balls (recently). Now I'm looking forward to having longer drive with lower trajectory. I guess I will be in the rough more often coz a slight change in direction will cause a great dispersion.
  • 01-29-2009
    Pky6471
    [QUOTE=bubbha70]What can be done to counter the effects of a closed face driver / fairway wood?
    Lead tape?
    Re-shafting?
    Adjust the grip?
    Adjust my grip and open up the club face at address?
    Adjust my ball position?
    Physically altering the clubhead?

Your input would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Just accept the fact it has a closed face, play it as it is, don't fight with it... I have a Callaway Squareway FT-i 5-wơod with a closed face, I just use my normal setup and lơoking down to the club face one would think that a golf ball would fly to the left, but it goes straight with great hangtime for great distance... So , don't change anything, use that closed face to your advantage... and don't fight with it
  • 01-29-2009
    Puma with a putter
    [I]"Just accept the fact it has a closed face, play it as it is, don't fight with it... I have a Callaway Squareway FT-i 5-wơod with a closed face, I just use my normal setup and lơoking down to the club face one would think that a golf ball would fly to the left, but it goes straight with great hangtime for great distance... So , don't change anything, use that closed face to your advantage... and don't fight with it"[/I]

I disagree. In my world I fight a hook on nearly every shot. For me a draw is stupid simple to hit, if I need a fade I will often get into trouble. I prefer fairway woods and drivers that are nuetral. If I were you, I would never order a closed face club... especially if I never hit it, which I have the feeling that you haven't in this case. I know that Taylor Made and Callaway both produce clubs that vary from a very closed set up all the way to their "Tour" models which are usually very nuetral. I try to always purchase neutral clubs.
  • 01-29-2009
    Pky6471
    Trust me, I like square setup as well, especially drivers, wơơds and hybrids. I have not found a neutral wơơd/hybrid that fits my swing... What interesting is that my Tour Edge Exotics driver has a square head and it works extremely well for me... I tested the Callaway squareway FT-i 5-wơơd vs Nike Square Squash? , both with a closed club face . I think FT-i is more, but it fits my swing beautifully... I just work with it rather than trying to fight it, it's the best 5-wơơd for me, straight and great hangtime for distance
  • 01-29-2009
    Puma with a putter
    Well, I guess it's a case of different strokes for different folks. And by strokes of course I mean that in the golf sense of the word. Whoah! Dat's a good un!
  • 01-29-2009
    No_Idea
    Wait a minute.. should this be included in Macho Point System ?