|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

After lesson perfect, two days later "wha happened?"

Does anyone else have this problem? Everytime I take a lesson with my pro, she fixes something in my swing here or there and I start to hit perfectly -- better than I ever have. Sometimes the next time I go to the range I do just as well. Let a couple of days pass, though, and then I start topping off the ball and hitting bad shots again. I remember what she tells me, but there is obviously something that just slips. Hopefully some of this will be better once I get my new fitted clubs (fitting is today -- very excited). My pro agreed that it is just a lot tougher for me to hit well until I get the clubs fitted. However, I still shouldn't be topping off the ball 50% more of the time than I was when I had a lesson. I've been going to the range two to three times a week and feel I should be a lot more consistent than I am now. Is it ever going to sink in with me? Maybe I'm just not cut out for golf? Would hate to think that as I love it when everything goes right!

Pelz says it takes 10,000 repetitions to ingrain a new habit, so you could be slipping back subtly into your old way of doing it as you get further and further from the lesson. Unfortunately, you're then practicing a faulty mechanic, and "practice makes permanent."

See if she has specific drills that will help you ingrain the right feel--for example, my downswing key is to re-weight my left heel. When I get quick, it's the first thing I work on, and for me, is the fix.

And don't sweat it. Some things that I have learned from pros took months to sink in.

David:

What clubs are you getting??

Not sure -- going to try out the lot of them at my fitting. They've got Titleist, Calloway, Ping, Cobra, and Taylor Made there. I figure I'll find one I like amongst those. I think I am taking the advice I got here and going to get a 3W, 5-PW, and a hybrid (as well as getting my Cleveland SW reshafted). We'll see how much each costs, though, and what the fitter says.
    Last edited by david613m; 07-21-2004 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by david613m
    Not sure -- going to try out the lot of them at my fitting. They've got Titleist, Calloway, Ping, Cobra, and Taylor Made there. I figure I'll find one I like amongst those. I think I am taking the advice I got here and going to get a 3W, 5-PW, and a hybrid (as well as getting my Cleveland SW reshafted). We'll see how much each costs, though, and what the fitter says.
    Great! Let us know:

1) Your impressions of the clubs
    2) Why you chose what you chose.

Looking forward to it.

BTW the frustrations you are experiencing with your lessons are very very common. Pls know that you are Not different from others - moreso Like them than anything else.

Keep at it.

That's good to hear. I'm certainly keeping at it. Might go to the range again today after getting fitted -- supposed to rain tomorrow so I want to get in the time when I can. Still am loving that short game, though. About 80% of my chips are not getting within 6 feet of the hole. Also, am now making about 90% of those 6 foot shots. Of course, I know the practice green like the back of my hand by now . . .

Dude, that happens to me too. The 4 lessons I took this year, during the lessong I was hitting well, then after, it was like a totally different me.
    But keep practicing, b/c for me, a few weeks after my last lesson, I finally started seeing improvement on a more consitent basis. (right now it's only 6 or 7 good hits out of 10, but that's a lot better than when I first started).

I'm hoping to get a lot more consitent than that.

Ps, I notice that when I'm on the course, I usually hit better/consitant than at the range b/c I'm not swinging constantly at 100 balls in a row. But that could be just me.
    Old

Totally -- I know that when I get tired, my posture seems to collapse at the range a bit. Usually, if I hit a few really bad shots in a row, I'll take a step back and wait a minute or two and then try to tackle it again. If the bad shots keep coming, I go work on my short game, and usually when I come back I get a few decent hits. Part of the beginner process, I think, is training and building those muscles in your back and hip.

Thread Information