|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Potential Fake Golf Clubs on eBay

Few reported fake golf clubs on eBay from China and or England, especially popular brands like Callaway . I bid 2 clubs from eBay a few years ago... not sure if they are fake or not... I won't bid golf clubs on eBay gain, NEVER... Your thoughts on this? Thanks

daveperk Guest
    caveat emptor... but no surprise, as there are lots of cheap factories especially in China which specialize in reverse engineering anything popular and then cranking out copies for sale out of the reach of American copyright laws..

Best to remember, if you're paying about a third of what it should be worth, you might reconsider.

I've bought used on Ebay but not new... if it's got some wear in the grooves and some bag chatter, I'm more likely to believe it's real... :-)

i think that we'd all be surprised on just how many fake clubs are on Ebay...

yep, only bought used on Ebay except a couple from RockBottom.....but went to their store to do actual transaction. OThers were wedges and a putter......that had been played but taken care of...just normal wear on sole and grooves for wedges.
    Wedge- Mizuno MP-T : 56* SW Blk Ox and 60* LW Raw
    Putter= NeverCompromise Z/1 Alpha putter
    Ball- Nike One Plat 07 or TF D2 Feel
    Bag- Ogio Grom

ive bought all my clubs as you see in my bag on ebay, except for the putter and the 60*, I havn't had a problem, all of them were new, some were off ebay stores and some were just off random people, speak as you find I guess
    Taylormade r7 425 10.5* S 65g RE*AX
    Taylormade r7 st 15* S 70g RE*AX
    Titleist 735.CM 3-PW S300
    Taylormade TP Satin 52.08
    Taylormade TP Satin 56.12
    Titleist Vokey SM60.08
    Odyssey White Hot XG #9 33"
    (Left Handed)

Keep in mind that used golf clubs from eBay are possibly faked, too. Original owners may have unknowingly bought faked new clubs, did not like them for whatever reasons, put them back on eBay as used clubs... Does not mean that fake clubs are much worse than genuine clubs, it just means that buyers did not get what they paid for... I am OK to pay for copy-cat or clone clubs, but I would feel cheated if I learn that my clubs are fake...

Quote Originally Posted by newfie_golfer
    ive bought all my clubs as you see in my bag on ebay, except for the putter and the 60*, I havn't had a problem, all of them were new, some were off ebay stores and some were just off random people, speak as you find I guess
    it wouldnt surprise me if at least one of your clubs are fake... counterfeiters are getting extremely good at copying the product... the only was to know is take it to a golf shop (well you can tell sometimes but others its internal like the club being 1 peice not 2) or send it to the OEM....

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    Does not mean that fake clubs are much worse than genuine clubs, it just means that buyers did not get what they paid for...
    yes it does since they are nothing like the original product...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    it wouldnt surprise me if at least one of your clubs are fake... counterfeiters are getting extremely good at copying the product... the only was to know is take it to a golf shop (well you can tell sometimes but others its internal like the club being 1 peice not 2) or send it to the OEM....
    Ive registered them all on taylormade, not sure if it makes a difference, does it?
    Taylormade r7 425 10.5* S 65g RE*AX
    Taylormade r7 st 15* S 70g RE*AX
    Titleist 735.CM 3-PW S300
    Taylormade TP Satin 52.08
    Taylormade TP Satin 56.12
    Titleist Vokey SM60.08
    Odyssey White Hot XG #9 33"
    (Left Handed)

Who cares if your new Callaways are originals or fakes. Any real golfer would know that Callaways are cast POS SGI CB shovels mass produced in factories in China, so what difference would it make. In fact, it would be hard to tell any difference in performance as even the fakes couldn't be any worse than real Callaways.

The best way to save yourself from this type of thing is to not consider buying Callies in the first place. Man up and get yourself some real clubs (quality forged i.e Muzuno, Titleist, Bridgestone, Srixon) and keep the Callies for gardening only.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I think there is a gross overreaction going on here to e-bay. OBVIOUSLY, one has to be careful about the source of whatever is being bought. If you stick with the power sellers who have thousands of transactions, it is highly unlikely that you are going to be buying bogus goods. If you are buying a used club or set, look at feedback if you are buying from a non-commercial seller.
    Look at the location where the seller is located. If it is in China, Indonesia or other Southeast Asian countries, Romania, or some portion of the former USSR.......well.....good luck.
    There are plenty of honest people on e-bay, but some crooks, too. You just have to do your research, and not buy anything so expensive that it would be an absolute disaster if it turned out to be counterfeit. I've personally never been burned, and I have many dozens of e-bay transactions.
    The more expensive the item, the more likely I'm going to insist on it being from either a trusted local dealer, a reputable internet board sponsor (like Chris on TourspecGolf, or Bryant/LowPro from FGI), a long established "bricks and mortar" shop or superstore with an internet retailing division, or an e-bay Powerseller with impeccable feedback.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Something else to consider when shopping on ebay is that when a club model is superseded, there is usually a glut of them going at low prices. that doesn't mean they are fake, just that the company has decided to run out old stock at cost prices. On Aussie ebay lately there has been heaps of sets of brand new Macgregor M685 forged blades going for less than half the price of golf shops. It's just the way golf is, as soon as something is last years model it's going to drop in price, particularly on the net where the sellers buy the stock when it was going cheap from the company, whereas golf shops take longer to bring down prices as they are trying to flog old stock they originally paid full price for.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I agree, I think there is alot of over reaction in this thread, most of my clubs have been bought on ebay, and I browse ebay quite often, I have yet to see a club that I thought could have been fake, I buy my clubs from Canada and the US...I wouldnt buy something with just a stock photo..and I only but from sellers with ~98% feedback.............so I dont think that there are that many fake clubs on ebay like you guys are saying, and if there are, I think you would see a huge difference in the looks
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

To me buying on ebay is similar to speeding. Most of the time you'll be fine and in speeding you're average MPH will be higher but the one time you get pulled over your average goes to hell. Likewise buying on ebay you will save money but the one time you get burned you'll loose all of the past savings.
    Personally I like to swing a club before I purchase and it's hard to do on the internet.

Depends....If your a smart buyer, ebay can help you....I wouldnt get into buying other stuff like electronics but I feel when im purchasing golf equipment that im safe..if you look at their feedback it should be enough said....
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

it doesnt matter what the feedback is if ya buy it new its prob fake (unless its from like RBG)... you may get lucky but i for one would rather pay a little extra and make sure i get what i pay for...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    it doesnt matter what the feedback is if ya buy it new its prob fake (unless its from like RBG)... you may get lucky but i for one would rather pay a little extra and make sure i get what i pay for...
    You are entitled to your wrong opinion. It's the American way.....

I have bought plenty of "last year's but still brand new items" when a newer model has come out, and as long as you are dealing with a highly reputable seller, it is highly unlikely that you will have a problem.

It simply isn't credible to state that "if it's new, it must be fake," if you are careful about your sources.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    You are entitled to your wrong opinion. It's the American way.....

I have bought plenty of "last year's but still brand new items" when a newer model has come out, and as long as you are dealing with a highly reputable seller, it is highly unlikely that you will have a problem.

It simply isn't credible to state that "if it's new, it must be fake," if you are careful about your sources.
    yeah i was exaggerating to make the point that i would rather pay extra to make sure what i get is real... obviously not EVERY new club is fake...

pingman...I think you are taking this to far....have you ever purchsed something from ebay??? So how do you know that there are that many fake clubs out there....and do you know how the feedback system works...previous buyers leave feedback towards the seller...so im sure if they sell fake clubs somebody out of 1000s would pick up on it...if you want to prove your point why dont you go on there and find some fake clubs...if there are any
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

(The best way to save yourself from this type of thing is to not consider buying Callies in the first place. Man up and get yourself some real clubs (quality forged i.e Muzuno, Titleist, Bridgestone, Srixon) and keep the Callies for gardening only.)

I am told that the golf game is for Ladies and Gentlemen only. It's unfortunate that there are some who enjoy bashing other products. Enjoy what you have, but respect all products. Golf clubs are not one-size-fit-all .... You tell people a lot about your character... Please grow up

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I buy almost all my stuff on ebay, but always from reputable sellers. They have to have at least 200 feedback and 100% positive or I don't bother. rockbottomgolf is one of my favorites.

I will say this, I bought a CG1 set on there and something about it didn't seem right. The grips were a little different than standard Cleveland grips and the ferrules came lose on all of the clubs within a week. This is the only time I've ever had anything like that happen with clubs on ebay, so be careful. But a lot of sellers are legit.

The rest of my equipment was from www.tgw.com
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by MTibbo
    I agree, I think there is alot of over reaction in this thread, most of my clubs have been bought on ebay, and I browse ebay quite often, I have yet to see a club that I thought could have been fake, I buy my clubs from Canada and the US...I wouldnt buy something with just a stock photo..and I only but from sellers with ~98% feedback.............so I dont think that there are that many fake clubs on ebay like you guys are saying, and if there are, I think you would see a huge difference in the looks

Picture: http://www.golfbidder.co.uk/images/e...wayFtiback.jpg

On the right, Callaway’s best-selling Ft-i square driver. On the left, a cheap imitation.

The cosmetic differences are not immediately obvious unless you are inspecting dozens of genuine FT-Is on a daily basis; Note how the three squares denoting whether draw, fade or neutral model are fractionally bigger on the fake; the black plastic ferrule covering the join of the shaft to the head is slightly thinner – and the metal band slightly wider. The writing on the (supposed) serial number sticker on the fake is not as defined, the font used in the figure ‘10’ to denote loft is also slightly different. There is a small – almost invisible in this picture – round hole covered in black paint on both (close to the red/black paint divide immediately below the large ‘F’ of FT-I): On the fake it is recessed, on the real one it is proud. Note the dividing line between the silver area where the arrow is and the red area – the crooks haven’t got it quite the right shape – and it is not as crisp.

pingman...I think you are taking this to far....have you ever purchsed something from ebay??? So how do you know that there are that many fake clubs out there....and do you know how the feedback system works...previous buyers leave feedback towards the seller...so im sure if they sell fake clubs somebody out of 1000s would pick up on it...if you want to prove your point why dont you go on there and find some fake clubs...if there are any
    i have bought lots of clubs from Ebay (none that i have now in my bag) and i have had 4 fakes... 1. my dads Ft-3, 2. a G2 i bought, 3. Cleveland CG10's, and 4. a NIKE T-60... all form sellers with tons of feedback and all over 98%...

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    I buy almost all my stuff on ebay, but always from reputable sellers. They have to have at least 200 feedback and 100% positive or I don't bother. rockbottomgolf is one of my favorites.

I will say this, I bought a CG1 set on there and something about it didn't seem right. The grips were a little different than standard Cleveland grips and the ferrules came lose on all of the clubs within a week. This is the only time I've ever had anything like that happen with clubs on ebay, so be careful. But a lot of sellers are legit.

The rest of my equipment was from www.tgw.com
    like i said stores are different there is some sort of accountability there...

(The rest of my equipment was from www.tgw.com)

I guess if you buy new/used clubs from TGW or CallawayPreowned or GlobalGolf then it's safer than from individual ebay sellers. I trust that most individual sellers are honest and legit, but they probably don't know if the clubs are fake or not because I don't think they will take time and check them out. At least I know that CallawayPreowned and GlobalGolf check them out, they told me so. So, if you have money then buy from dealers or reputable sellers, if not , bid on ebay and take your chances (I did 3 times)... Just enjoy your game

If you look at the ebay link above, and follow those steps before purchasing a club, you should be fine, I think people who go for these *fake* clubs are people who dont have very much golf knowledge and didnt do their research
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

please direct all ebay concerns and questions to bjdrivers. he is the resident ebay expert of sorts with his 125,687,492 feedback...almost all of which are from club whoring.
    TaylorMade Steel Pwnzor
    Confidence Muscleback AssKickin' KnuckleBusters 1-PW
    American Open 60* (f a SW)
    Palm Springs Flatstick
    MISC bizzallz

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by hackerofsorts
    please direct all ebay concerns and questions to bjdrivers. he is the resident ebay expert of sorts with his 125,687,492 feedback...almost all of which are from club whoring.
    Your mom's snatch is fake, hence the cheap price she charges. However, it does feel pretty authentic.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Your mom's snatch is fake, hence the cheap price she charges. However, it does feel pretty authentic.
    leave my mother out of this and i'll leave mike hawk out of your mother. FORE!
    TaylorMade Steel Pwnzor
    Confidence Muscleback AssKickin' KnuckleBusters 1-PW
    American Open 60* (f a SW)
    Palm Springs Flatstick
    MISC bizzallz

Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    I think there is a gross overreaction going on here to e-bay. OBVIOUSLY, one has to be careful about the source of whatever is being bought. If you stick with the power sellers who have thousands of transactions, it is highly unlikely that you are going to be buying bogus goods. If you are buying a used club or set, look at feedback if you are buying from a non-commercial seller.
    Look at the location where the seller is located. If it is in China, Indonesia or other Southeast Asian countries, Romania, or some portion of the former USSR.......well.....good luck.
    There are plenty of honest people on e-bay, but some crooks, too. You just have to do your research, and not buy anything so expensive that it would be an absolute disaster if it turned out to be counterfeit. I've personally never been burned, and I have many dozens of e-bay transactions.
    The more expensive the item, the more likely I'm going to insist on it being from either a trusted local dealer, a reputable internet board sponsor (like Chris on TourspecGolf, or Bryant/LowPro from FGI), a long established "bricks and mortar" shop or superstore with an internet retailing division, or an e-bay Powerseller with impeccable feedback.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

If you look at the ebay link above, and follow those steps before purchasing a club, you should be fine, I think people who go for these *fake* clubs are people who dont have very much golf knowledge and didnt do their research
    and there's where your wrong... anyone can get caught buying a fake... with conterfeiters getting better and better it can bet pretty hard to tell online... now the bad fakes are easy to spot but there are some that are extremely difficult to spot... the only one that i didnt spot in person waste FT-3 the rest could tell right away in person and when i confronter the seller they are all to quick to try and smooth it over...

The problem is when I asked individual sellers (even with 99% satisfaction rate) to tell me if clubs are fake or not, not too many wanted to answer this question, if they did, they did not give me an answer with confidence. I know that from now on I would go directly to reputable dealers/seller or something like Callaway preowned or Ping preowned or Taylormade preowned ...

Thread Information