|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

newbie swing questions

i'm new to golf, been playing about a month or so. i am VERY new. i am trying to develope a swing. i'm 17/6'1"/180lbs so i don't have any problem swinging the club hard, it's the hitting it straight part i have a problem with. at first i had a fairly short backswing and expldoded through the ball, it went fair but not often did it go straight. today i went to the range and slowed my swing down and tried to make it more fluid while using my wrists more and hit it pretty straight about 200 yards most of the time with an occasional 250. how far should my follow through go after hitting a tee shot? i was taking it as far as my arms wanted to go today. i don't have a pre-shot routine. any suggestions as to where to find one without taking lessons?

i don't know whether i should blow the money on lessons this soon or just to play and practice a lot. instructional videos? any opinions or suggestions?

thanks
    jared

The more you practice without lessons, the more you'll have to unlearn and relearn. START with lessons ASAP.

Take some lessons and hit the range. Practice makes better (no one is perfect ;) ).

When I was 17, i took a full summer worth of lessons, which, at the time, didn't make any sense to me. But, in hindsight, they were the best thing i ever did for my game. I still to this day go back to some of the routines that I learned from my lessons and take them to the range with me.

Get some lessons, and hit the range. Don't become frustrated. That's the worst thing to do when you are learning. It will come with time. Just give it the proper attention and it will come around. Practice your short game. The driver is always the one every young golfer focuses on and it shouldn't be. Your short game and putting will make and break you.

Good luck. Glad to see you on the forum.

Watch out for Montagle. He's a viper.

R35
    "35 on the front, 50 on the back....I love this game."

thanks

thanks, i am thinking about, i live in a relatively small town but there is a guy who offers lessons for $30 for four hours. i think i'm gonna give it a shot. thanks for the welcome.

take those lessons and run w/ them

As a fellow beginner, there is nothing better than starting off with lessons. If you keep practicing by yourself, you'll likely find some kind of swing that works for you. It may not be a great swing, but you'll probably figure out a way to hit it straight and a good distance after a while. However, once you take a lesson and learn a proper swing, the pro will probably stop everything you have learned by yourself -- almost as if you are starting out from scratch. Taking a lesson now will save you time and lots of unnecessary frustration as you begin.

You might also want to pick up Hogan's book on the fundamentals of golf. Additionally, you could rent a golf instructional video or two (actually where I live we have digital cable and I can watch these "on demand" anytime I want for free). Nothing, though, compares to having a pro watch your swing and fix it. Books are very difficult to learn from, videos a little better, but still difficult.

And 4 hours for $30 sounds like a steel to me. Maybe the person isn't a very good instructor -- I don't know. All I know is that I just shelled out over $200 for 4 1 hour lessons.

Take the lessons

You got a great deal on your lesson price. I start mine first tonight ans I am paying 250.00 for 5 one hour lessons.

But it time for me to take them, I am getting tired of going to the range and hitting everywhere but where I want the ball to go.

Take care
    God Bless
    Be Kind To Animals

Namvet66

Thread Information