|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Mickelson is Human

Just seen his scorecard, he got an 11 on hole 14 at Pebble Beach (par 5), hes going to miss the cut to because of that, actualy I think he proved this at the us open, but never the less....
    Last edited by newfie_golfer; 02-09-2008 at 02:30 PM.
    Taylormade r7 425 10.5* S 65g RE*AX
    Taylormade r7 st 15* S 70g RE*AX
    Titleist 735.CM 3-PW S300
    Taylormade TP Satin 52.08
    Taylormade TP Satin 56.12
    Titleist Vokey SM60.08
    Odyssey White Hot XG #9 33"
    (Left Handed)

How the hell did he make an 11? The only OB I know of on that hole is way right off the tee box, and that's only if you try and take it over the giant trees in front of you.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

He always was..
    2007-2017 Moderator of the Year.

Hope they play it on the sports highlights tonite. The look on his face after pickking the ball out of the hole would have been pricelsess. Goofy, confused and clueless. Classic Mickelson
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

phil's human!!! i never woulda guessed after wingedfoot

I have never looked at phil as anything special that seperates himself from the other players in the top 10.

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    I have never looked at phil as anything special that seperates himself from the other players in the top 10.
    when its on the short game is prob better than anyone else who plays currently including tiger...

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    when its on the short game is prob better than anyone else who plays currently including tiger...

Not if tigers is 'on'.

I bet on T every time.

I remember a few years ago Tiger got ticked off by all the fill hype, like "When Phil is on his game he's unbeatable" etc etc.

Tigers quote was "I think when I play my best I'm pretty tough to beat".

History would tend to back Tiger.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I remember a few years ago Tiger got ticked off by all the fill hype, like "When Phil is on his game he's unbeatable" etc etc.

Tigers quote was "I think when I play my best I'm pretty tough to beat".

History would tend to back Tiger.
    i said short game... i still think tiger would beat his brains out... but if it came down to a short game match id give a VERY slight nod to Phil... i dont like Phil at all but his short game is just as good as tigers when on... i maybe went to far to say Phils is better when he's on but he and tiger are prob equal when he's on...

Doesn't putting count as a short game? How can you say a guy that 4 putts from 10 feet at least once a month has a good short game? I give Tiger the nod. If they had a 72 hole short game contest Phil would be up by 3 strokes, skull one through a clubhouse window, take a free drop, chili dip it, get it on the green and then need to 2 putt from 10 feet for the win. He'd hit his first putt to a foot, his next 6 feet past, his next 3 feet short, lip the next one, and then put it in. It would be a classic Mickelson choke.

i said short game... i still think tiger would beat his brains out... but if it came down to a short game match id give a VERY slight nod to Phil... i dont like Phil at all but his short game is just as good as tigers when on... i maybe went to far to say Phils is better when he's on but he and tiger are prob equal when he's on...

Gotta agree with College Golfer. The measure of a short game is the same as the measure of every other part of the game, i.e. how well it stands up to the pressure of a major. Over the years Phil has given away alot of majors dues to short game chokes. I remember him handing Goosen a US Open a few years back after 3 jacking the 17th including a miss from about 3 feet. He also left a 40 foot uphill putt way short and 3 putted to give Toms his PGA victory. Tiger doesn't make those sort of mistakes because he has a better short game, particularly under the highest pressure. Granted last year Tigers short game probably cost him the Masters and US Open, but it was more from a mediocre day on the greens, no glaring 3 putts or chokes standing over 2 footers.

I think Phil plays the hard short game shots as well as Tiger, but isn't close at the standard chips and pitches. Don't even try to compare putting, because it's not close.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I think Phil plays the hard short game shots as well as Tiger, but isn't close at the standard chips and pitches. Don't even try to compare putting, because it's not close.

Being a lefty myself I tend to look at the southpaws more (Weir, Flesch, Mickelson) and in my novice opinion other than the 'flop' shot he (Phil) has there isnt anything else really remarkeable about his short game as compared to other tour guys. They all can chip , pitch, and putt relatively well IMO.

Phil may be better at the Pelz trick shots but how often do they really come into play?

He probably saw someone eating a doughnut and it threw him off completely.
    Last edited by Macgregor; 02-11-2008 at 06:45 AM.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Apparantly Vijay is human as well. Nice blade job out of the bunker. Maybe the CG1s are too much for Vij.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Guys like Hogan absolutely sucked at the short game and still found a way to win. Phil wasn't threatening for the lead in this tourney. His concentration seems lacking when when he's not near the top of the leaderboard.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

The guy is to fat and not fit enough,thats why he loses concentration.

another fitting title for this thread would've been "Mickelson is Hungry."
    TaylorMade Steel Pwnzor
    Confidence Muscleback AssKickin' KnuckleBusters 1-PW
    American Open 60* (f a SW)
    Palm Springs Flatstick
    MISC bizzallz

Quote Originally Posted by collegegolfer
    Doesn't putting count as a short game? How can you say a guy that 4 putts from 10 feet at least once a month has a good short game? I give Tiger the nod. If they had a 72 hole short game contest Phil would be up by 3 strokes, skull one through a clubhouse window, take a free drop, chili dip it, get it on the green and then need to 2 putt from 10 feet for the win. He'd hit his first putt to a foot, his next 6 feet past, his next 3 feet short, lip the next one, and then put it in. It would be a classic Mickelson choke.
    ok i will again revise my statement... Phil is an extremely good chipper/ pitcher of the ball...

ok i will again revise my statement... Phil is an extremely good chipper/ pitcher of the ball...
    Keep going. Tiger doesn't go for the dramatic shots as much as Phil, because he's smarter. But he's more effective. And Phil fell a bunch of rungs as a short game player, in my book, when he went to that collosal phony Pelz. Although that may say more about his deficit north of his shoulders.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Keep going. Tiger doesn't go for the dramatic shots as much as Phil, because he's smarter. But he's more effective. And Phil fell a bunch of rungs as a short game player, in my book, when he went to that collosal phony Pelz. Although that may say more about his deficit north of his shoulders.
    im not even gonna try to revise my statement again... lol

I agree with you about the phony Pelz but he did improve Phil's process. Phil is a creative left brainer when it comes to the golf shot while Pelz is a total right brainer. Maybe Phil needs to be grounded just a bit. Hitting the high probability less effective shot wins tournaments but hitting the flop shot that just misses Lefty's right nostril gets the a applause and the tap in save. This is phil and he is incredible to watch - like a train wreak.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by hackerofsorts

another fitting title for you would be STFU
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I agree with you about the phony Pelz but he did improve Phil's process. Phil is a creative left brainer when it comes to the golf shot while Pelz is a total right brainer. Maybe Phil needs to be grounded just a bit.
    I agree with you insofar as if Phil had gone to see a 9 yr. old autistic, blind girl , who happened to have basic common sense, she would also have helped him improve his decision making and practice discipline.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerofsorts
    Or "Mickelson is a Has-been". He doesn't seem to have much to offer anymore, even when he was at his best i didn't rate him that highly. And that flop shot he is "famous" for- unbelievably overrated. It is rarely necessary for him to use it but since it has become his trademark it is almost as if Callaway are pointing a gun at him and saying "PLAY THE SHOT OR FIND A DIFFERENT SPONSOR!"
    In The Bag
    ---------------
    Driver- Taylormade r7 Superquad (10.5*)

Fairway Wood- Cleveland Launcher 5 Wood (17*)

Irons- Ping i3 Blade (2-9)

Wedges- Cleveland Black Nickel (51*, 56* and 60*)

Putter- Odyssey Sabertooth (34")

no

did u see him today 7 under with a 4 shot lead after 3 days he made the cut even he is a beast!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by golfaholic
    what about the fact that he's the top lefty?

-Paul O.
    Driver : NIKE SQ Sumo2 5900 10.5* [ stiff ]
    Fairway Wood : NIKE SQ Sumo2 3 wood 15* [ stiff ]
    Fairway Wood : NIKE SQ Sumo2 4 wood 17* [ stiff ]
    Irons : NIKE Sumo SQ #4 - PW, AW, iDiamana Graphite [ stiff ]
    Wedges : NIKE SV Tour Black 60* [ stiff ]
    Wedges : F2 Plus 56*, 58* [ regular ]
    Putter : NIKE Ignite 001
    Balls : NIKE Ignite, NIKE - ONE / BLACK -

i'm a lefty.

Thread Information