|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Results 1 to 64 of 64
  1. #1
    daveperk Guest

    overstimulated...

    You guys are getting me entirely too fixated on golf.

    I got a nice paycheck from a job this week and I've been buying stuff like crazy... :-)

    I'm having a V2 X shaft put in my HiBore XL Tour 9.5* driver, after buying the XLS 13* three wood in X and KILLING it. just KILLING it. I was hitting the old three wood 240 and this one is going a solid 250. It's almost too much. :-)

    And now I just came home with a 9 degree Ping G10 with V2 in X... just to have options.

    Kid in candy store... must stop... can't... help.. myself.... unh.. (assume Lorne Green death pose in Battlestar Galactica)

    seriously, since I joined this forum I've bought more golf clubs in a year than I've bought in my whole life. :-)

    YOu guys are going to break me.

    But oddly enough, still nothing from Mizuno.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Tanglewood (Champions)
    Posts
    3,567
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    You guys are getting me entirely too fixated on golf.

    I got a nice paycheck from a job this week and I've been buying stuff like crazy... :-)

    I'm having a V2 X shaft put in my HiBore XL Tour 9.5* driver, after buying the XLS 13* three wood in X and KILLING it. just KILLING it. I was hitting the old three wood 240 and this one is going a solid 250. It's almost too much. :-)

    And now I just came home with a 9 degree Ping G10 with V2 in X... just to have options.

    Kid in candy store... must stop... can't... help.. myself.... unh.. (assume Lorne Green death pose in Battlestar Galactica)

    seriously, since I joined this forum I've bought more golf clubs in a year than I've bought in my whole life. :-)

    YOu guys are going to break me.

    But oddly enough, still nothing from Mizuno.
    thats what happens... congratulations...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    its not that odd... Mizuno wont go in the same bag as a hibore or hybrids...

    Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  4. #4
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    its not that odd... Mizuno wont go in the same bag as a hibore or hybrids...

    Omen
    I always said Mizuno grips were larger than standard....

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blomidon G&CC
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    17
    I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing, I live in Newfoundland so the closest golf store is an 8 hour drive, which is Nevada Bobs Golf.....
    Hoofer Vantage:

    905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    252.08
    58.08
    G2i Anser

    Tour 360 II

  6. #6
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MTibbo
    I dont know if its a good thing or a bad thing, I live in Newfoundland so the closest golf store is an 8 hour drive, which is Nevada Bobs Golf.....
    Does it ever thaw out up there? Do you play all season with colored balls? if that's not too personal a question...

    It is a risky business living in Dallas/Fort Worth, driving past a gigantinormous golf store every couple of miles. Two PGA Golf Superstores within 20 minutes, three Golf Galaxies and a couple of Golfsmiths all within about 15 minutes.. And everywhere golf courses, as if my own isn't enough to tempt me into abandoning chores...

    A man could go bankrupt in this place...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blomidon G&CC
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    Does it ever thaw out up there? Do you play all season with colored balls? if that's not too personal a question...

    It is a risky business living in Dallas/Fort Worth, driving past a gigantinormous golf store every couple of miles. Two PGA Golf Superstores within 20 minutes, three Golf Galaxies and a couple of Golfsmiths all within about 15 minutes.. And everywhere golf courses, as if my own isn't enough to tempt me into abandoning chores...

    A man could go bankrupt in this place...


    Actually it does thaw out......season starts about mid may, and lasts until the end of october, everyday in the summer is ususally shorts and shirts type temperatures....There is 1 course in my city, pop ~17,000. Just up the road, probably 15 minute drive is a world class course. Humber Valley Resort. Dont know if you heard alot about it, but it was voted by several magazines and groups as best new international course. You should check it out, as my picture is view of the 10th hole there. You tee off and theres about a 200 ft drop, very nice hole and awesome course. Here are some pictures....
    http://www.corporate.canada.travel/i...ervalley-1.jpg

    http://www.faszination-golf-travel.c...0023_large.jpg

    Or check out the website I think you will be very surprised in what we have to offer

    www.humbervalley.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hvr3.jpg 
Views:	239 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	2031  
    Hoofer Vantage:

    905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    252.08
    58.08
    G2i Anser

    Tour 360 II

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oak Valley
    Posts
    7,980
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    its not that odd... Mizuno wont go in the same bag as a hibore or hybrids...

    Omen
    Interesting.......What do you suggest that I do with my Mizuno MP UX2 hybrids? I've had them in my bag now for over 2 years, and they don't seem to have either attacked any of the other clubs, nor have they been assaulted by any "lesser clubs."
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

  9. #9
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    Interesting.......What do you suggest that I do with my Mizuno MP UX2 hybrids? I've had them in my bag now for over 2 years, and they don't seem to have either attacked any of the other clubs, nor have they been assaulted by any "lesser clubs."
    Careful.. if they cross-breed with the other clubs, you could have some seriously dangerous mutants in there, like Pizzunos or Mings.

  10. #10
    daveperk Guest
    Well, I've been on several flights over Newfoundland. It's halfway from London to Texas.

    But I was always at about 38,000 feet... hard to pick out the courses from up there..

    beautiful country!

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blomidon G&CC
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    17
    Actually I am very impressed that you know where Newfoundland is, considerring your location and all....Theres people in Canada who dont know where Newfoundland is...
    Hoofer Vantage:

    905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    252.08
    58.08
    G2i Anser

    Tour 360 II

  12. #12
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MTibbo
    Actually I am very impressed that you know where Newfoundland is, considerring your location and all....Theres people in Canada who dont know where Newfoundland is...
    (Hank Hill voice ) Just cuz ahm from Texas, you think ahm a redneck? :-)

    en fait, je suis peutetre le seul homme au Texas qui peut parler en Francais...

    I was born here, but I grew up everywhere, all over the world.. Just got back three years ago from a several year stay in Brussels... there is no more beautiful sight out the window of a jetliner than a sunset reflecting off the glacier lakes on Newfoundland Island...

    Especially when it means I'm halfway back to Texas.. :-)

    p.s. Bay of Fundy tides... spectacular.

    p.p.s I know it's in Nova Scotia. But it's still spectacular.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Forest City National - London ON.
    Posts
    2,449
    Rep Power
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by MTibbo
    Theres people in Canada who dont know where Newfoundland is...

    Thats intentional

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blomidon G&CC
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    17
    are you one of those Canadians?
    Hoofer Vantage:

    905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    252.08
    58.08
    G2i Anser

    Tour 360 II

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    dork... the mizuno hybrids do not count as real mizuno clubs... therefore they can go in with other hacker crap.

    Omen

    hope this clears up any confusion
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    341
    Rep Power
    20
    Well on your way to becoming a club ho like many of us (myself included)...come on in, the water is fine
    In My Bag (for now):
    Taylormade Burner TP 10.5*
    Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15*
    Tour Edge Exotics XCG 18*
    Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
    Vokey Raw 50*, Vokey SM 54*, Vokey SM 58*
    Yes! Tracy II
    Bridgestone B-330-S

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oak Valley
    Posts
    7,980
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    dork... the mizuno hybrids do not count as real mizuno clubs... therefore they can go in with other hacker crap.

    Omen

    hope this clears up any confusion
    Then I guess all the MX series clubs can be dismissed as well, correct?
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The lumberyard
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    18
    >>> Then I guess all the MX series clubs can be dismissed as well, correct? <<<

    Red-headed, stepchildren.


    bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)
    Bag: Titleist SC-25

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    dorkman have i ever advocated anything other than the mp line?

    seriously.. this is weak even for you

    Omen


    I expect better next time
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oak Valley
    Posts
    7,980
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    dorkman have i ever advocated anything other than the mp line?

    seriously.. this is weak even for you

    Omen


    I expect better next time
    The reason I mention the MP/MX issue is that my Mizuno hybrids are MP UX 2's; the "player's clubs".......
    This should cause an existential crisis in your psyche.......
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    no no.. the additional ux 2 sub eliminates it from consideration as it is clearly a marketing tactic to sell crappy hybrids at higher prices to those dreaming they are game enough for the authentic mp line.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Oak Valley
    Posts
    7,980
    Rep Power
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    no no.. the additional ux 2 sub eliminates it from consideration as it is clearly a marketing tactic to sell crappy hybrids at higher prices to those dreaming they are game enough for the authentic mp line.
    I will guarantee you that there are at least 100 people on the PGA, Nationwide, and Champion's Tours who both play cavity backs and hybrids. I will also guarantee that they have won far more prize money playing golf during the last 24 months than you have. Remind me; on which tour do you play?
    Your professional winnings for 2007and 2008 are exactly equal to mine, I'm quite sure. I'm not talking about bets with friends or a prize at a local golf club. I'm discussing professional tour winnings, which would make you an authority on the equipment we all should be playing.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blomidon G&CC
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    17
    ouch..........
    Hoofer Vantage:

    905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    252.08
    58.08
    G2i Anser

    Tour 360 II

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Southern Hills
    Posts
    314
    Rep Power
    20
    heh...........
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Chrome 60* (pfft!)
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    From the feedback it looks like you just got owned by the Dork Man Omen.

    For shame!
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  26. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Chillin' with my Freakamaniacs, brother.
    Posts
    2,545
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    From the feedback it looks like you just got owned by the Dork Man Omen.

    For shame!


    Mulligan?





    FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

    Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    highly doubt it....

    look dork, those guys are only using those goofy gay shi.tes because they are paid stupid sums of money to do so..

    if there were no endorsements do you think any of them would play them... PHUCK NO YOU RETARD....

    okay let me spell this out for you sense you are too dense to grasp it yourself...

    the 5, 7, and 9 woods have been out for how long?

    how many of the games greats play them? the 7 and 9 have been out much longer than the gaybrid, so why do none of the pros play them? the 7 and 9 are much easier to hit than long irons so why didnt jack, arnold, gary, sam, ben or any of the other guys from the previous era's play them? WHAT BECAUSE THERE WAS NO PHUCKING ENDORSEMENT MONEY... ARE YOU SURE? NO CANT BE...

    dude you take the money out the only clubs on tour are mizuno and titleist, the gaybrids are all gone and golf is golf AGAIN...

    i await your IGNORANT response.

    Omen

    ... you people really thought that was a zing.... god you are pathetic.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  28. #28
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    highly doubt it....

    look dork, those guys are only using those goofy gay shi.tes because they are paid stupid sums of money to do so..

    if there were no endorsements do you think any of them would play them... PHUCK NO YOU RETARD....

    okay let me spell this out for you sense you are too dense to grasp it yourself...

    the 5, 7, and 9 woods have been out for how long?

    how many of the games greats play them? the 7 and 9 have been out much longer than the gaybrid, so why do none of the pros play them? the 7 and 9 are much easier to hit than long irons so why didnt jack, arnold, gary, sam, ben or any of the other guys from the previous era's play them? WHAT BECAUSE THERE WAS NO PHUCKING ENDORSEMENT MONEY... ARE YOU SURE? NO CANT BE...

    dude you take the money out the only clubs on tour are mizuno and titleist, the gaybrids are all gone and golf is golf AGAIN...

    i await your IGNORANT response.

    Omen

    ... you people really thought that was a zing.... god you are pathetic.
    Omen that is BS. Tour players that use hybrids now don't play hybrids that are the equivalent of a 7 or 9 wood (i.e. 22-25*). Most of them play 16-19* hybrids which is usually a replacement for a 2 iron or 5 wood.

    Most still carry a 3 iron, those that don't have have usually dropped one long iron for an extra wedge, e.g. Jim Furyk doesn't carry a 4 iron but he carries a 3 iron and an extra wedge. He also carries a 17* hybrid and has rated as highly as No.2 in the world recently I believe?

  29. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    you are agreeing with me and dont even realize it: there are a few guys on tour who have replaced their 3 iron with a hybrid: my point is that they didnt do it for the forgiveness: they dont need the forgiveness. they are doing if for the money: if they needed forgiveness in the long iron department before the hybrid came out they would have been using a 7 wood or 9 wood perhaps... but they weren't they were all hitting the 3 iron because there isn't a tour player out there who cant hit a 3 iron properly. I WOULD EVEN WAGER THAT COREY PAVIN COULD PURE A BLADE 3i, without even thinking about it.

    is any of this making sense?

    YOU REALLY MUST READ FOR COMPREHENSION. My posts always make more sense when you pay attention to the words.

    you completely missed what i was saying.

    Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  30. #30
    daveperk Guest
    I disrespectfully disagree with Omen.

    they don't do it for the money; they do it to MAKE the money, by scoring lower.

    Otherwise known as forgiveness. When you hit a hundred shots with a three iron and ten of them are inside easy birdie range, but then you do it with a hybrid and twenty of them are inside that same range, thats known as 'game improvement'. Forgiveness. Better results, on average, than with the previous equipment.

    It IS for the money, but its prize money. Wins. Performance.

    Forgiveness.

    The lion's share (tiger's share?) of pros aren't going to make big endorsement fees. They're trying to improve their careers, performance, winnings, etc.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    you are agreeing with me and dont even realize it: there are a few guys on tour who have replaced their 3 iron with a hybrid: my point is that they didnt do it for the forgiveness: they dont need the forgiveness. they are doing if for the money: if they needed forgiveness in the long iron department before the hybrid came out they would have been using a 7 wood or 9 wood perhaps... but they weren't they were all hitting the 3 iron because there isn't a tour player out there who cant hit a 3 iron properly. I WOULD EVEN WAGER THAT COREY PAVIN COULD PURE A BLADE 3i, without even thinking about it.

    is any of this making sense?

    YOU REALLY MUST READ FOR COMPREHENSION. My posts always make more sense when you pay attention to the words.

    you completely missed what i was saying.

    Omen
    Oh OK so a hybrid to replace a 2 iron is OK just not a 3 iron or more?

    I must have misunderstood. I thought ALL hybrids were considered gay.

  32. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    I think the only pros who prescribe to Daves theory are the ones that Jack and other past greats bemoan as lurkers who have been allowed to compete with real golfers and eek out a living due entirely to technology. I think Dave is correct that many pros use hybrids because they don't have the talent to consistently pure long irons and get better results from hybrids. But just cause Dave is correct doesn't make it right. Anyone who remembers golf twenty years ago remembers how important ball striking and shot making was when you didn't have 460 drivers and hybrids to mask a lack of talent. Now tournaments seem to be putting contests as everyone can hit fairways and greens. I remember going to tournaments in Australia when the crowd would audibly gasp when Norman hit one out of the screws and it cracked off the driver head like a rifle shot. His supreme ball striking gave him a huge advantage over the rest of the field til the mid 90's when technology allowed the herd to catch him. Nothing will change my thinking that technology is a crutch for weaker golfers. If it wasn't for technology Tiger would have already passed Jack and be unbackable favourite every time he tees up.

    Golf is the only sport where professionals are allowed to use technology unabated to the detriment of the game (trying belatedly to reign it in by putting limits on head size and MOI is too little too late). I have no problem with all us weekend hackers using technology to help us make the game more enjoyable, but watching pros mincing around the golf course with their oversized drivers, hybrids, graphite shafted SGI POS CB shovels, and long putters makes me sick to my stomach.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I have no problem with all us weekend hackers using technology to help us make the game more enjoyable, with oversized drivers, hybrids, graphite shafted SGI POS CB shovels, and long putters.
    Really?

    Then why all the flame wars over this very subject with all the other weekend hackers on this board?

    Hybrid: As if! What kind of sissy, faggot lame arse do you think I am?

  34. #34
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    ...watching pros mincing around the golf course with their oversized drivers, hybrids, graphite shafted SGI POS CB shovels, and long putters makes me sick to my stomach.
    I can think of a couple of mincers out there on tour, but most of the mincers in golf are just members of this forum. :-)

  35. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Really?

    Then why all the flame wars over this very subject with all the other weekend hackers on this board?

    Hybrid: As if! What kind of sissy, faggot lame arse do you think I am?
    I said I had no problem with them using it, but I didn't say it was the way real men play the game. They can use technology if they are too short dicked to be real men, but if they are going to use gay sissy equipment they have to suffer the consequences of their faggott actions.

    My point was that weekend, high handicap, useless hackers need all the help they can get to try to keep up with play and not slow down the real men on the course who use traditional equipment, but the pro tours should not be blighted with such unsightly monstronsites and should be reserved for players who have actual talent.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  36. #36
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I said I had no problem with them using it, but I didn't say it was the way real men play the game. They can use technology if they are too short dicked to be real men, but if they are going to use gay sissy equipment they have to suffer the consequences of their faggott actions.

    My point was that weekend, high handicap, useless hackers need all the help they can get to try to keep up with play and not slow down the real men on the course who use traditional equipment, but the pro tours should not be blighted with such unsightly monstronsites and should be reserved for players who have actual talent.
    Oh that's right it was the OTHER post that was about civility.

    Nice return to form there NAH.

  37. #37
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    dave.. why didnt they use 7 woods instead of long irons?

    there your arguement is moot...

    Next.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  38. #38
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    dave.. why didnt they use 7 woods instead of long irons?

    there your arguement is moot...

    Next.
    Um, because 7 woods hit the ball straight into the air? Because they have such high loft?

    HeII, I had to give up my 17 degree five wood because it hit the ball straight up every time I tried to use it into the wind. Got a 16 deg HiBore XLS hybrid, works much better.

    best as I can tell, touring pros aren't hitting much more than about 19 degrees of loft on their hybrids. Lots of them have 16 degree hybrids.

    7 woods as I recall had about 23 degrees, which on a long shafted wood causes something NASA can track. And a 9 wood is similar to a Lovett wedge.

    Face it, Nemo, hybrids aren't equivalent to 7 or 9 woods. Those were for people who could not make contact with long irons, not for people who want slightly better results than the long irons....

  39. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    Um, because 7 woods hit the ball straight into the air? Because they have such high loft?

    HeII, I had to give up my 17 degree five wood because it hit the ball straight up every time I tried to use it into the wind. Got a 16 deg HiBore XLS hybrid, works much better.

    best as I can tell, touring pros aren't hitting much more than about 19 degrees of loft on their hybrids. Lots of them have 16 degree hybrids.

    7 woods as I recall had about 23 degrees, which on a long shafted wood causes something NASA can track. And a 9 wood is similar to a Lovett wedge.

    Face it, Nemo, hybrids aren't equivalent to 7 or 9 woods. Those were for people who could not make contact with long irons, not for people who want slightly better results than the long irons....
    I think you are missing a point that some pros go with the 5 wood BECAUSE they go high and land soft. The 5 wood is a club that has been traditionally used to land long approaches on unreceptive greens. If the conditions dictate that they have to keep it low, the good ball striker will alternate from a 5 wood to a 2 iron, not a hybrid. Don't know why we are arguing about 7 and 9 woods as they are only seen on the old fart tour or the front bum tour. They are not used on the real tours or by real golfers, so why bring them into the equation.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  40. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Pacific Dunes, Bandon, OR
    Posts
    5,472
    Rep Power
    24
    I can think of one other sport - Tennis. Wood to graphite change the game completely. I don't like watching it as much now but I do like playing more with the lighter, larger rackets. I think it could be equated to the golf technology issue. The pro's used to have an array of shots. Now it's just smash and return - Point. Break the serve and the match is probably yours.

    I have a bigger problem with the long putter than the hybrid debate. I don't think they should be allowed on the PGA.

  41. #41
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    I can think of one other sport - Tennis. Wood to graphite change the game completely. I don't like watching it as much now but I do like playing more with the lighter, larger rackets. I think it could be equated to the golf technology issue. The pro's used to have an array of shots. Now it's just smash and return - Point. Break the serve and the match is probably yours.

    I have a bigger problem with the long putter than the hybrid debate. I don't think they should be allowed on the PGA.
    Totally agree with this whole post. Graphite racquets certainly took the finesse out of tennis like thechnology took the finesse out of golf. Now tennis is a boring power game where you don't need to have any talent as the sweet spot is so big and forgiving. Give me McEnroe and Connors slugging it out any day over Federer and Nadal.

    I also have a bigger problem with the long putter than the hybrid. Although my opinions of the high gay factor of the hybrid is well documented, they are still the saem basic dimensions of other clubs and still require a proper stroke. I don't want to get started on long putters except to say that they are a form of legalised cheating. And they are THE ugliest sight on any golf course, pga tour or weekend hackers comp.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  42. #42
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Blomidon
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I think you are missing a point that some pros go with the 5 wood BECAUSE they go high and land soft. The 5 wood is a club that has been traditionally used to land long approaches on unreceptive greens. If the conditions dictate that they have to keep it low, the good ball striker will alternate from a 5 wood to a 2 iron, not a hybrid. Don't know why we are arguing about 7 and 9 woods as they are only seen on the old fart tour or the front bum tour. They are not used on the real tours or by real golfers, so why bring them into the equation.
    Im pretty sure thats exactley why Tiger switches between a 5 wood and 2 iron each week
    Taylormade r7 425 10.5* S 65g RE*AX
    Taylormade r7 st 15* S 70g RE*AX
    Titleist 735.CM 3-PW S300
    Taylormade TP Satin 52.08
    Taylormade TP Satin 56.12
    Titleist Vokey SM60.08
    Odyssey White Hot XG #9 33"
    (Left Handed)

  43. #43
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I think you are missing a point that some pros go with the 5 wood BECAUSE they go high and land soft. The 5 wood is a club that has been traditionally used to land long approaches on unreceptive greens. If the conditions dictate that they have to keep it low, the good ball striker will alternate from a 5 wood to a 2 iron, not a hybrid. Don't know why we are arguing about 7 and 9 woods as they are only seen on the old fart tour or the front bum tour. They are not used on the real tours or by real golfers, so why bring them into the equation.
    Yeah, I don't know why we're talking about 7 and 9 woods either... but that IS what we were talking about. Not five woods. So the first part of the 'point I"m missing', as you said, is irrelevant.

    Omen's argument is that the pros didn't hit 7 and 9 woods back then, so why would they hit hybrids now? He postulates, stealthily, that those clubs were the equivalent of today's hybrids.

    They're not, of course. They have shorter shafts and less loft, in general, or at least the ones the pros play do.

    As I've said, I switched out my 17* five wood for a 16* hybrid. Same distance, lower ball flight. I can also grip down on it and reduce the distance, which on the five wood just launches it parabolically, as if it was a Lovett wedge.

  44. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    As I've said, I switched out my 17* five wood for a 16* hybrid. Same distance, lower ball flight. I can also grip down on it and reduce the distance, which on the five wood just launches it parabolically, as if it was a Lovett wedge.
    But what if you play a course with accessible par 5's or long par 3's with tight pins tucked in front of bunkers? The 5 wood is the perfect club for floating it in nice and high and getting it to stop quick. The 2 iron and the hybrids don't really cover this. I would think you could use the 3 iron effectively for the grip down reduced distance shot, but without the 5 wood you have no club for the long soft approach shot.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  45. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The lumberyard
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    18
    >>> I would think you could use the 3 iron effectively for the grip down reduced distance shot, but without the 5 wood you have no club for the long soft approach shot. <<<

    You're right though you could try and move the ball up in your stance to see if you work it higher with the 3i. ( Then again, I wonder how many people these days actually try to work the ball to "create" shots. )

    bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)
    Bag: Titleist SC-25

  46. #46
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The lumberyard
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    18
    >>> Face it, Nemo, hybrids aren't equivalent to 7 or 9 woods. Those were for people who could not make contact with long irons, not for people who want slightly better results than the long irons.... <<<

    Hmmm... I thought the main selling point of hybrids was that they are basically for those who can't hit long irons?

    bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)
    Bag: Titleist SC-25

  47. #47
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeduffer
    >>> Face it, Nemo, hybrids aren't equivalent to 7 or 9 woods. Those were for people who could not make contact with long irons, not for people who want slightly better results than the long irons.... <<<

    Hmmm... I thought the main selling point of hybrids was that they are basically for those who can't hit long irons?

    bd
    Well, my take was that they were for people who wanted more consistency and perhaps a bit more height and/or distance than they could get from a long iron.

    As opposed to 'can't hit', which smells like shank or wormburner or whiff to me, or even paralyzing fear.

    if 'can't hit long irons' was the problem, there wouldn't be so many pros using hybrids. They can obviously hit long irons, but they want some sort of different result than they get with long irons.

  48. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    we are only talking about pros that have replaced their long irons with hybrids... not replaced their 5 wood with a hybrid...

    the 7 wood and the 23* lofted hybrid would be very similar ball flights...
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  49. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Forest City National - London ON.
    Posts
    2,449
    Rep Power
    21
    Height is a product of loft much more so than anything else. My 3 hybrid, is the same loft as my 3 iron, they also have the same shaft and are the same length, both have nearly identical ball flights. Thanks to the wider sole and weight distribution the hybrid is easier to hit from the rough, the sand, etc.

  50. #50
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    what the hell are you doing in the sand or the rough? its a freaking burnter tp for crying out loud... perhaps you should shorten it to 42 inches that way you can sometimes make contact somewhere in the general vicinity of the 10" clubface?

    BIOTCH... THIS AINT NO CIVIL THREAD...
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  51. #51
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    we are only talking about pros that have replaced their long irons with hybrids... not replaced their 5 wood with a hybrid...

    the 7 wood and the 23* lofted hybrid would be very similar ball flights...
    Yeah, but... what touring pro is playing a 23 degree hybrid? Isn't that a four or five iron replacer?

    EVEN THE WOMEN PLAY FOUR IRONS. :-))

    I would never replace my four iron. There's just no reason.

  52. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Forest City National - London ON.
    Posts
    2,449
    Rep Power
    21
    I dont have the Burner anymore.

    You may want to sit down for this....

    I am now playing an Integra Quadratic with an Sk Fiber pure energy shaft.

    Deep breaths buddy, you'll be fine.

  53. #53
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    The lumberyard
    Posts
    377
    Rep Power
    18
    >>> Well, my take was that they were for people who wanted more consistency and perhaps a bit more height and/or distance than they could get from a long iron.

    As opposed to 'can't hit', which smells like shank or wormburner or whiff to me, or even paralyzing fear.

    if 'can't hit long irons' was the problem, there wouldn't be so many pros using hybrids. They can obviously hit long irons, but they want some sort of different result than they get with long irons.<<<

    I agree. I understand that part and know that alot of you cited these advantages. I've never researched hybrids so I was just assuming that they were generally being targeted at players who couldn't hit long irons.

    bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)
    Bag: Titleist SC-25

  54. #54
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    Yeah, but... what touring pro is playing a 23 degree hybrid? Isn't that a four or five iron replacer?

    EVEN THE WOMEN PLAY FOUR IRONS. :-))

    I would never replace my four iron. There's just no reason.
    Never say never.

    You've already replaced the 3 iron. You obviously fouind a reason to replace the 3 iron with a hybrid. Why wouldn't the same reason apply to the 4 iron, or any other iron for that reason?
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  55. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jacks Point
    Posts
    10,195
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Never say never.

    You've already replaced the 3 iron. You obviously fouind a reason to replace the 3 iron with a hybrid. Why wouldn't the same reason apply to the 4 iron, or any other iron for that reason?
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    At risk of flogging a dead horse,
    Hacker, since WHEN has flogging a dead horse ever bothered you?
    I chose the road less traveled.

    Now where the f#ck am I?

  56. #56
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by bladeduffer
    >>> Well, my take was that they were for people who wanted more consistency and perhaps a bit more height and/or distance than they could get from a long iron.

    As opposed to 'can't hit', which smells like shank or wormburner or whiff to me, or even paralyzing fear.

    if 'can't hit long irons' was the problem, there wouldn't be so many pros using hybrids. They can obviously hit long irons, but they want some sort of different result than they get with long irons.<<<

    I agree. I understand that part and know that alot of you cited these advantages. I've never researched hybrids so I was just assuming that they were generally being targeted at players who couldn't hit long irons.

    bd
    "couldn't hit long irons" is so subjective. :-)

    If I take ten swings with my three iron and ten with my 19* hybrid, the distance will be close, the flight path will be close and the dispersion will be close.

    But I'd bet the hybrid averages a bit longer, a bit higher and a bit closer to the target.

    Just because it's not going to treat me quite as badly on a mishit.

    Oh, and if I hit the same twenty shots out of a nice lie in a fairway bunker, the hybrid would probably average thirty yards longer than the three iron, just because irons react so badly to any kind of deflection or impact with sand, yada yada. Imperfect swings, imperfect results, but better with the hybrid.

    Now if I were hitting upwind, I might be tempted to hit that three, just because I know it naturally flies lower for me. But I swing the hybrid just like an iron, and it can be played lower if I execute.

  57. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charleston
    Posts
    3,199
    Rep Power
    21
    Lyle, now i know why you are in the bunkers and the rough so often.

    Deep breaths my as.s: i'd have to be a professional fluffer to choke down that sh.it.

    and how the hell do you hit a golf ball with a four wheel drive, acura anyway?

    Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

  58. #58
    daveperk Guest
    Yeah, Lyle, if I were you I'd lease that Accra instead of buying it. That way when you upgrade drivers you don't have to eat the depreciation.

  59. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Hey Omen,

    I notice you are getting close to 2000 posts. I would hope that you reserve your 2000 for something special, and not waste it on responding to some lame arse hybrid weilding fairy.

    I would hope it would be true to form and contain the following:
    Paying homage to the sublime perfection of grain flow forged Mizuno, the benefits of playing real mans clubs, and numerous references to the highly questionable sexuality of people who play hybrids, Ping and Callaway shovels, long putters, chippers, graphite shafts in irons, iron head covers etc etc.

    You only hit 2000 once so make it a memorable one.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  60. #60
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blomidon G&CC
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    17
    You only hit 892 posts once, so why did you waste it?
    Hoofer Vantage:

    905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    252.08
    58.08
    G2i Anser

    Tour 360 II

  61. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by MTibbo
    You only hit 892 posts once, so why did you waste it?
    I'll pay that one Mtibbo. Coming from you that's almost witty. And since I wasted 892, why not waste 893.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

  62. #62
    daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    I'll pay that one Mtibbo. Coming from you that's almost witty. And since I wasted 892, why not waste 893.
    wait... you mean there are some NaH posts that weren't?


  63. #63
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Blomidon G&CC
    Posts
    304
    Rep Power
    17
    NAH I have a question, how do you set up a counter that counts your useless, wasted posts, not to long and you'll be at the big 1000 bud
    Hoofer Vantage:

    905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    252.08
    58.08
    G2i Anser

    Tour 360 II

  64. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    11,981
    Rep Power
    32
    Like the old saying goes you MT and Dave,

    It's hard to soar like an eagle when you're surrounded by turkeys.

    In Australia we have a word for the likes of you two.

    Gibberers.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •