|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Where does the snow stop.

Hi guys, hope your winter is better than mine and also all the other golfers in the Montreal
    area.We have so much snow that don't think this white crap will all melt before somewhere
    in late May,and where still expecting another foot or two today.
    My question is if I were to move south for five months of the year how far south from Montreal do I have to go to play all season long, like could you golf in Tennesse or Maryland all year or is it to cold , would I have to go more south not to freeze?

here in NC we play year round i think any farther than WV it would be tough to play year round...

SNOW, what's snow? Heck, Come on down to Central Florida, EVERYBODY ELSE DOES!

Quote Originally Posted by Strick
    On the eastern half of the country, Florida seems to be the "snowbird" escape location of choice. In the west, people come to Southern California and Arizona in the winter. During winter months, I meet up with people who are down from the Pacific Northwest and the Rocky Mountain West quite often.

By the way, in answer to the original question, the snow usually stops when it hits a horizontal surface, such as the ground.....
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Its pretty nice here in orlando, but it rains all damn spring and summer
    TaylorMade Burner 10.5*
    TaylorMade V Steel 15*,18*
    Mizuno MP-30 3-PW TT S300
    Cleveland TA 588 53*,56*
    (putter not worth mentioning)
    Titleist NXT Tour

Mohawk.....You dont have to move south, just a little east...here in Newfoundland we play all year round......haha.....I know what your going through and it does indeed suck
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

daveperk Guest
    Down here in Texas we used to see snow once every three or four years.. now it's once every three or four days between November and April... darn global warming. :-)

Then again, the snow melts the next day, the courses are open, and we still do play all year round.

Bah, still snow on the ground in saskatchewan!

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

I just spent two weeks in Northern Kentucky/Cincinnati area and saw a butt load of snow, ice, freezing rain, warmth, cold, wind, and then got hit with a huge snowstorm on Friday....as I was trying to make my way to airport and fly home.

I think my flight might have been one of last out of airport that morning before they shut down the runways to get them cleared as it was coming down so heavy.....not sure what time they opened back up but I finally got to Charlotte and then to Charleston...albiet 2 hours late...but home nonetheless.

So who wants to play golf one day this week in afternoon....I am ready to take a day off work and swing those new Nike irons of mine...hahahahahahahaha
    Wedge- Mizuno MP-T : 56* SW Blk Ox and 60* LW Raw
    Putter= NeverCompromise Z/1 Alpha putter
    Ball- Nike One Plat 07 or TF D2 Feel
    Bag- Ogio Grom

Foot of snow here in Cincy on Friday/Saturday. Ave temp is 50 degrees for this time of year. Snow is already starting to melt. It was 40 yesterday and 10 day forecast has temps in the 40s or 50s. Hope its all gone by next Friday (Good Friday). Would like to play as I am off work that day.

Ko'olau Golf Club/Kinderlou Forest Golf Club
    from colorado spings mild winter couple of feet and was not able to golf for 3 months. just went to drive range the other day for four hour. i feel great and plan to good back to day if it does not snow again..

Quote Originally Posted by bennysupreme
    from colorado spings mild winter couple of feet and was not able to golf for 3 months. just went to drive range the other day for four hour. i feel great and plan to good back to day if it does not snow again..
    You are in the Springs? I am originally from Aurora. Grew up there. Moved to Ohio in 1992. HUGE CU Buff football fan. GO BUFFS!

playing golf in winter

Quote Originally Posted by mohawk
    Hi guys, hope your winter is better than mine and also all the other golfers in the Montreal
    area.We have so much snow that don't think this white crap will all melt before somewhere
    in late May,and where still expecting another foot or two today.
    My question is if I were to move south for five months of the year how far south from Montreal do I have to go to play all season long, like could you golf in Tennesse or Maryland all year or is it to cold , would I have to go more south not to freeze?
    Here in london we have a golf course that never, ever closed , no matter what the weather. The greens would be an ice rink. yet still course would stay open. I would put my wifes tights on and also wear 6/7 top layers and just go and play. I have no time for "fairweather golfers".I am sure that u will have several courses near u that would never close. Play em. Cos it would prove that you value your sport thru n e situation. Nothing but lightening could ever get me off a course.ps Putting was the greatest fun, cos you would always have a "snowman" on the ball. but that never ever mattered. playing golf in any conditions was what mattered. Cos I just love the sport

daveperk Guest
    But as to the posted question-- where does the snow stop?

This year, it stops in Lima, Peru... in Baghdad... in San Diego CA... all sorts of places snow used to pass on by, now it stops there.

Darn global warming is gonna kill us all.

Ko'olau Golf Club/Kinderlou Forest Golf Club
    Quote Originally Posted by playthegolfer
    Here in london we have a golf course that never, ever closed , no matter what the weather. The greens would be an ice rink. yet still course would stay open. I would put my wifes tights on and also wear 6/7 top layers and just go and play. I have no time for "fairweather golfers".I am sure that u will have several courses near u that would never close. Play em. Cos it would prove that you value your sport thru n e situation. Nothing but lightening could ever get me off a course.ps Putting was the greatest fun, cos you would always have a "snowman" on the ball. but that never ever mattered. playing golf in any conditions was what mattered. Cos I just love the sport
    I also play what ever the weatrher is, rain, snow, winds over 50mhp, and also i have play in hail, got hit by one and made hand swell so that is could barely grip the clubs.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by playthegolfer
    DId you ever wear the tights in summer, without the layers?

Shame to cover that up. :-) You could distract your opponents better than Seve's toe tapping..

Quote Originally Posted by Strick
    where do u live strick? im from central fl. we should play sometime.

It was 40 today. Felt like spring, I didn't even wear a jacket! Much nicer than the high of -12F last week. No really, much nicer.

68 today... 71 tom... upper 50 end of next wk... never too cold to play golf though...

I don't care where the snow stops, I'd just like to know WHEN it will stop...

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Down here in NZ we are just coming to the end of one of the hotest and driest summers in years. It's depressing because I have been going out and playing a lot of golf in the evenings but that is coming to an end as the days get shorter. I'll still be able to play all winter but I'll be confined to the weekends.

We don't get snow here, just the occasional frost that might close the course until about 9.30-10am when it warms up enough to melt the frost. The course I am a member at never closes as it has excellent drainage and never gets too wet.

So I'm lucky enough to play all year round just not as often in winter.

The only snow we get is on a mountain about an hours drive from here. I hope we get plenty because skiing is my other love and one good reason to look forward to winter!
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

If there is frost on the greens, no course with bent grass greens should be open. The roots are exposed and you can kill the grass by walking on it. It's not so much the cold as it is the waterlogged turf that is keeping courses closed in my neck of the woods. There are a couple munis that seem to stay open almost all the time. These are the kind of courses where the staff doesn't care what condition the course is in. I play these every once in awhile in the dead of winter. I wouldn't call it golf, but it's kind of fun.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    These are the kind of courses where the staff doesn't care what condition the course is in..
    I think I belong to one of these courses.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    You are in the Springs? I am originally from Aurora. Grew up there. Moved to Ohio in 1992. HUGE CU Buff football fan. GO BUFFS!
    Fyck 'em up.

Quote Originally Posted by Calinada
    Fyck 'em up.

Shoulder to Shoulder

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    I think I belong to one of these courses.
    My impression is that you're at the pimpiest club in the already pimpy OC (SPCCOC). You also drive an Italian car and eat the finest cheeses and olives. Am I wrong here?
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet
    Shoulder to Shoulder
    You know it. Gonna be awesome this year with Scott. He should light things up. I'm headed to the spring game next month, I doubt he'll be there...

Quote Originally Posted by Calinada
    You know it. Gonna be awesome this year with Scott. He should light things up. I'm headed to the spring game next month, I doubt he'll be there...
    Sweet. Another CU fan! Enjoy the Spring game. Cant wait to see Scott next fall!

Either your laughing at me or you have never visited the great white north and have no idea about how much snow we get .
    370 cm or 12 feet thick of the white crap . Look down your fairway , can you see the flag?
    good ,now imagine another flag stick on top of that one , that's how deep the snow is !
    And were not finish yet, more to come ! I would be willing to even play with a tennis ball but all courses are closed during this season , open only for cross country skiing ,some for snowmobiling and others for hiding dead bodies of wives who can't understand why we are so grumpy at this time of the year .

Thread Information