|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Should club fitting be a priority?

I'm relatively new to the game (been playing about 1 1/2 yrs.) and after some serious research and trial and error I finally found an iron set I really like (Don't laugh- Adams a2OS). My problem is I live in eastern Kentucky and there are few club fitters. The two I've talked to say it's a waste of time since I shoot 92-96. I've tired to tell them it's not my ball striking it's my putting.I have no problem from tee to green. It's on the green where I fall apart. But that's another discussion. Anyway, these guys just hear 90 shooter and quit before we even start. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do or where to go. Thank you.
    Last edited by wizard36; 03-11-2008 at 05:15 PM.

The only reason they know you shoot in the 90's is cause you told them. Next time, deduct the shots you think you will save with improved putting and go with that. Or fix your putting first and then go back. LyleG is a club builder on here so seek out his advice, he may be part of a network that can find you a fitter.

Quote Originally Posted by wizard36
    After some serious research and trial and error I finally found an iron set I really like (Don't laugh- Adams a2OS). My problem is I live in eastern Kentucky and there are few club fitters. The two I've talked to say it's a waste of time since I shoot 92-96. I've tired to tell them it's not my ball striking it's my putting.I have no problem from tee to green. It's on the green where I fall apart. But that's another discussion. Anyway, these guys just hear 90 shooter and quit before we even start. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what to do or where to go. Thank you.
    club fitting is never a waste... as for where to go most OEM's have free fitting that would be a start at least...

If the two guys you spoke to told you not to bother becasue you shoot in the 90's, I don't think they should claim to be clubfitters. The only thing I would recommend to you is to purchase a set of irons that are either forged or have a nice soft casing that can be easily adjusted. That way, as your swing develops and you need to have your lie angles adjusted, it'll be a simple trip to a real clubfitter to have the work done. Check with someone like LyleG before you purchase something. He could tell you if the iron set you are considering fits the bill. I know Ping claims their irons can be adjusted 4 degrees either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick
    The only reason they know you shoot in the 90's is cause you told them. Next time, deduct the shots you think you will save with improved putting and go with that. Or fix your putting first and then go back. LyleG is a club builder on here so seek out his advice, he may be part of a network that can find you a fitter.
    Yeah do what Strick says, just award yourself two putts for all putts of 8 feet or more and one putt for anything inside 8 feet.

Hell that would have me shooting much lower scores too! LOL
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Priority 1: Find a teaching professional
    Priority 2: If you need a new set then buy/get fitted
    Priority 3: Don't depend on swing advice from this forum
    Priority 4: Be honest in your self assessment. If your only problem was on the greens you wouldn't be shooting in the 90s unless you 3/4/5 putt every green.

I was told club fitting is always a help from a competent fitter as long as you have a repeatable swing. Without that repeatable swing...it is a crap shoot. So since I dont I have been concentrating on putting and chipping and approach shots. By my calculations if I never three putt and cut out the avg 10 strokes each round due to shots out of bounds or into hazards....I would be in high 80s or low 90s now during my first year playing.

Good luck...
    Wedge- Mizuno MP-T : 56* SW Blk Ox and 60* LW Raw
    Putter= NeverCompromise Z/1 Alpha putter
    Ball- Nike One Plat 07 or TF D2 Feel
    Bag- Ogio Grom

fred are you ever pro GR? would it kill you to support us just a smidge?

sincerly your deepest admirer

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

You know as well as I do that fred hates every last one of us.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

I normally count how many putts per hole on my score card... and how many up-and-down that I have, then I would know where I need to improve. I prove to myself that I am capable of shooting in the 82-85 range, but most of the times I am in the 87-95 range. My best was 82 on a 130 slope rating course. Just like 90% of players, I screw up around greens quite often. Perhaps I don't practice enough or have a level of concentration that I need

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I've always played standard lie clubs till now. I did a static measurement on Ping's website and found out that I am 2* upright. I got me a set of i/3 blades, green dot, and I'm much more accurate than I used to be. It makes a difference in your ball striking.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    You know as well as I do that fred hates every last one of us.
    fred breathes life into GR, it would suffocate w/out him. He's a menace to our little society, but in a good way.

If you shoot in the 90's you're a 90's shooter regardless of how the hell you got there. 90 is fuking 90 plain and simple. So if chipping and putting are what you are blaming for these scores then they should be your top priority, not your woods and irons.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LyleG
    If you shoot in the 90's you're a 90's shooter regardless of how the hell you got there. 90 is fuking 90 plain and simple. So if chipping and putting are what you are blaming for these scores then they should be your top priority, not your woods and irons.
    Way to make the sale, there, Lyle.. :-)

You had the man halfway there, and the whole of GR was recommending you. You'd think they were your commission sales force.

And this is how you reward them?

Basic Logic 101

If you have to drive a nail, try to have a hammer in your hand instead of a screwdriver. Maybe you miss the nail a lot - but a screwdriver will never drive nails.

See the relevance?

That is all.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Basic Logic 101

If you have to drive a nail, try to have a hammer in your hand instead of a screwdriver. Maybe you miss the nail a lot - but a screwdriver will never drive nails.

See the relevance?

That is all.

FON
    I'd say you have some very funny looking golf clubs.

I almost said balls.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    I'd say you have some very funny looking golf clubs.

I almost said balls.

The shots are quite handsome though.

Stop staring. It makes you look... oh those are Adams clubs. Nevermind then.

Broken balls are kinda funny looking, aren't they? ;)

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    If your only problem was on the greens you wouldn't be shooting in the 90s unless you 3/4/5 putt every green.
    Hang on a minute Fred.

What if he 3 putts 50% of the time?

There's 9 shots. Improve that and 92-96 becomes ... hmm ... lets see ... ah ... 83-87!

Wow he's an 80's shooter now!

Now where the f#ck am I?

Getting fit for golf clubs is always a good idea. Fitting better players is easier because of their consistent swings, but everyone can benefit from getting fit. If your clubs are too short or too long or too upright or too flat, etc. you will never be able to maximize your swing.

Also, keep in mind that there are a number of reasons to explain a golfer's ball flight, with equipment being one of them. If your irons are too upright (heel of the club strikes the ground), your ball will go right. With properly fit clubs, you take the equipment issue out of the equation & focus on other factors (operator error???).

frugalgolfer***

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Hang on a minute Fred.

What if he 3 putts 50% of the time?

There's 9 shots. Improve that and 92-96 becomes ... hmm ... lets see ... ah ... 83-87!

Wow he's an 80's shooter now!
    Questioning Fred's logic now Kiwi? For shame. Fred's logic in this thread is, as usual, flawless. If only he decided to visit us more often to impart such pearls of wisdom. Kiwi, you should show more respect to a GR living legend like Fred the terd.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Retarded people dont even 3 putt 50% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Questioning Fred's logic now Kiwi? For shame. Fred's logic in this thread is, as usual, flawless. If only he decided to visit us more often to impart such pearls of wisdom. Kiwi, you should show more respect to a GR living legend like Fred the terd.
    What was I thinking?

Questioning the all encompassing wisdom of Fred III.

Like you I just wish he would grace us with his presence/wisdom more often.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Thread Information