|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

great putters use real putters....

none of the greatest putters use gay gimmicky flatsticks... no mallets, on belly's, nope even the games greats say that the anser style standard length ( 32-35") is what all the games best putters use.

let's discuss... this isn't my opinion, this is what history has shown.

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

You don't play an Anser style putter. This is why you suck at putting.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

no... i play an anser style... its just an anser on a diet... some are good enough to not require that much extra material....

Look mr. balls, just because you cant handle my putter is no reason for you to attack my superior putting...

Sincerly, and where the phuck is my invite...

Omen

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2
    no... i play an anser style... its just an anser on a diet... some are good enough to not require that much extra material....

Look mr. balls, just because you cant handle my putter is no reason for you to attack my superior putting...

Sincerly, and where the phuck is my invite...

Omen
    Superior putting... That's almost LOL funny.
    About that invite, don't call me, I'll call you.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

ROFLMAO...

my putting isnt superior... no, no ... it's way better than that.... superior doesnt do it justice

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Superior putting... That's almost LOL funny.
    About that invite, don't call me, I'll call you.

Now that was some funny shnitz.
    TM r5 TP Diamana 83
    Mizuno F-50 15*
    Cobra Baffler 20*
    Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
    Mizuno MP-T 52*
    Ping iWedge 56*
    Titleist Vokey Spin Milled Chrome 60* (pfft!)
    Cameron Circa 62 #2
    Mizuno Twister Staff Bag

Didn't Crenshaw use a blade?

bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)
    Bag: Titleist SC-25

Agreed. Ben's putter was more a blade. Palmer as well. It really comes down to those two.
    2-0-1 in GR stroke play

I'd love to get my hands on that Cameron Napa blade but don't feel like shelling out 5 bills for it.

bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)

Tiger could probably outputt many of the people on the PGA Tour using a two sided blade putter from a miniature golf course, if he had a couple of practice sessions to get used to it.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Tiger could outputt Omen using the side of his foot.

Outputt? is that a word?
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

none of the greatest putters use gay gimmicky flatsticks... no mallets, on belly's, nope even the games greats say that the anser style standard length ( 32-35") is what all the games best putters use.

let's discuss... this isn't my opinion, this is what history has shown.

Omen
    When was the Anser made? 1980-something? That certainly leaves alot of good putters who used other styles over the years. I remember when the Anser came out, and at the time they were being derided as 'gay gimmicky' oversized POS. The same way some people now deride mallets or two balls. In reality the old 8802 or bullseye are much more traditional, pure putter designs for golfing purists than the putter style you have selected.

And anyway, what's the big deal, you only play a cheap Chinese made knock off, you don't even have a real Anser. BTW I use a compact blade design with a centre shaft. No gimmicks, doesn't even have alignment aids.

P.S. Totally agree about the belly putter abomination.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I think Vijay has gone through more putters than I have, that's pretty sad. Poor sap can't find his stroke.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Outputt? is that a word?
    It is here.

bd
    Titleist 975D 8.5*
    Titleist 975F 13.5*
    Titleist 690.MB 2-PW
    TT DG X100
    Titleist 5611 SW
    Titleist 6000s LW
    Probe 20/20 brass putter
    (LH)

I think Vijay has gone through more putters than I have, that's pretty sad. Poor sap can't find his stroke.
    Theres alot to be said for Vijay, not many people switch back to a conventional putter after going back to a belly, he does change putters, and his putting grip alot though...
    Taylormade r7 425 10.5* S 65g RE*AX
    Taylormade r7 st 15* S 70g RE*AX
    Titleist 735.CM 3-PW S300
    Taylormade TP Satin 52.08
    Taylormade TP Satin 56.12
    Titleist Vokey SM60.08
    Odyssey White Hot XG #9 33"
    (Left Handed)

Didn't Tim Clark lead the tour in putts per round last year using a 2-ball?
    Lefty:
    Driver - TM Burner 10.5
    3-Wood - TM r580
    Hybrid - Ping G10 21*
    4-PW - '06 Callaway Big Bertha (steel)
    60 - Cleveland CG11 2 dot
    Ping Tour W 56/10 and 52/12
    TM Rossa Monza Spider

Winn G8 grips

Go ahead and dog my setup while you shank your 3i and push putts with your anser.

Bridgestone Tour B330 RX - best ball ever
    Callaway Weekender bag
    Sky Caddie SG3
    Opus X

15.5 and falling

Sergio has gone through more variations of putters then I have ever seen. New grips, and styles. PICK ONE!

TmacG
    RCC Saskatchewan, Canada

Each type of standard length putter simply suits the various philosophies and approaches we take toward putting. Long and especially belly putters violate the spirit of the game, IMHO.

The Anser style works best if you adopt the most applicable philosophy of putting - the open to square to shut face through the stroke. Pure toe-balanced putters require even more exaggeration of this motion to work as they are designed to. Face balanced putters (be they mallets or blades) work best when the face is kept square to the arc, or plane of the stroke. Each will only benefit you if you use them the way they were designed, and only if that method proves to be the most natural for the player.

No type is better, that part is up to the player and the player alone. You match your putter to your philosophy, and then you go learn how to make putts that way. That's what makes some people great putters - they're intelligent enough to match skills and tools to maximize results. You still need to become literate in speed and break no matter what you use.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Each type of standard length putter simply suits the various philosophies and approaches we take toward putting. Long and especially belly putters violate the spirit of the game, IMHO.

The Anser style works best if you adopt the most applicable philosophy of putting - the open to square to shut face through the stroke. Pure toe-balanced putters require even more exaggeration of this motion to work as they are designed to. Face balanced putters (be they mallets or blades) work best when the face is kept square to the arc, or plane of the stroke. Each will only benefit you if you use them the way they were designed, and only if that method proves to be the most natural for the player.

No type is better, that part is up to the player and the player alone. You match your putter to your philosophy, and then you go learn how to make putts that way. That's what makes some people great putters - they're intelligent enough to match skills and tools to maximize results. You still need to become literate in speed and break no matter what you use
    You are definitely onto something here FON. I am a straight back straight through putter with a left hand low grip and for me a centre shafted, face balanced putter is definitely the way to go. I find the centre balanced putter keeps itself online with that type of stroke. I've used Anser styles in the past but with much less success.

And I couldn't agree more about the long and belly putters. I have voiced my disgust at these numerous times. I believe they violate not only the spirit of the game, but also the rules as to what constitutes a golf stroke. Not to mention they are longer than any other club in the bag.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    You are definitely onto something here FON. I am a straight back straight through putter with a left hand low grip and for me a centre shafted, face balanced putter is definitely the way to go. I find the centre balanced putter keeps itself online with that type of stroke. I've used Anser styles in the past but with much less success.

And I couldn't agree more about the long and belly putters. I have voiced my disgust at these numerous times. I believe they violate not only the spirit of the game, but also the rules as to what constitutes a golf stroke. Not to mention they are longer than any other club in the bag.

Every time I hear "straight back, straight through", I cringe. Even vomit in my mouth a little.

The face balanced putter works best when the face stays square to the plane of the stroke, NOT the target line. Think about the term "face balanced" for a minute and ask yourself - "What is the face balanced in relation TO?" The answer is - the face is balanced in relation to the plane of the stroke. That plane will, from the perspective of your eyes - appear to open and close the face similarly but far less dramatically than a heel/toe Anser or a toe-weighted blade like Mickelson uses.

This is how you will need to use it to have it work the way it was perhaps "unintentionally" designed to work. They wanted a putter that worked for "straight back, straight through" but instead they got a putter that wants to keep the face square to the plane of the stroke. It's not so bad, once you realize what the tool in your hand is actually capable of providing, if you use it properly.

That's the key - to use the club the way it happens to work best. There are a lot of misunderstandings of how a face balanced putter actually works and how to use one correctly. I hope I can clear up some of those misunderstandings and help people who choose to use them get the most out of their choice.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

I use a 48" odyssey putter and i like to consider myself as a pretty good putter, give me an anser putter and i am like a 36 handicapper. I believe that putting is all down to personal feel, and that any putter can work best- depending on the one using it
    In The Bag
    ---------------
    Driver- Taylormade r7 Superquad (10.5*)

Fairway Wood- Cleveland Launcher 5 Wood (17*)

Irons- Ping i3 Blade (2-9)

Wedges- Cleveland Black Nickel (51*, 56* and 60*)

Putter- Odyssey Sabertooth (34")

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Every time I hear "straight back, straight through", I cringe. Even vomit in my mouth a little.

The face balanced putter works best when the face stays square to the plane of the stroke, NOT the target line. Think about the term "face balanced" for a minute and ask yourself - "What is the face balanced in relation TO?" The answer is - the face is balanced in relation to the plane of the stroke. That plane will, from the perspective of your eyes - appear to open and close the face similarly but far less dramatically than a heel/toe Anser or a toe-weighted blade like Mickelson uses.

This is how you will need to use it to have it work the way it was perhaps "unintentionally" designed to work. They wanted a putter that worked for "straight back, straight through" but instead they got a putter that wants to keep the face square to the plane of the stroke. It's not so bad, once you realize what the tool in your hand is actually capable of providing, if you use it properly.

That's the key - to use the club the way it happens to work best. There are a lot of misunderstandings of how a face balanced putter actually works and how to use one correctly. I hope I can clear up some of those misunderstandings and help people who choose to use them get the most out of their choice.

FON
    Thanks for that sermon Mr. Cameron. You cured my insomnia.

Must be history as you interpret it. As usual the underlying reason for your post is to cause trouble. Hence the statement: " none of the greatest putters use gay gimmicky flatsticks... no mallets". One of the greatest putters of all times (that would be Billy Casper) used a mallet putter.

Are you as big a jerk (and proud of it) in real life, or do you just post your methane infused drival because you're a lonely sad human being?

yo... i'm just telling you guys what arnold palmer said last week during his event...

dont shoot the messenger...

fred3 for you to call anyone a lonely sad human being is as ironic as anything ever said by man throughout time. Who on here is a bigger jerk than you? good to see you are still around.

yo... i'm just telling you guys what arnold palmer said last week during his event...

dont shoot the messenger...

fred3 for you to call anyone a lonely sad human being is as ironic as anything ever said by man throughout time. Who on here is a bigger jerk than you? good to see you are still around.
    It is great to have Fred back and he's really upped the ante lately.

Instead of the usual 1 post every three months I've counted at least 3 in the past two weeks!

Awesome.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by TmacG
    Sergio has gone through more variations of putters then I have ever seen. New grips, and styles. PICK ONE!

TmacG
    Watching the WGC today and he now has a fat taylormade grip on his putter, im pretty sure he wasn't using it last week.
    Taylormade r7 425 10.5* S 65g RE*AX
    Taylormade r7 st 15* S 70g RE*AX
    Titleist 735.CM 3-PW S300
    Taylormade TP Satin 52.08
    Taylormade TP Satin 56.12
    Titleist Vokey SM60.08
    Odyssey White Hot XG #9 33"
    (Left Handed)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    It is great to have Fred back and he's really upped the ante lately.

Instead of the usual 1 post every three months I've counted at least 3 in the past two weeks!

Awesome.
    He's been solid but not spectacular. This board needs a fred3-started topic or two. Baby steps, I guess.
    fred3 antagonizer
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

Quote Originally Posted by fred3
    Must be history as you interpret it. As usual the underlying reason for your post is to cause trouble. Hence the statement: " none of the greatest putters use gay gimmicky flatsticks... no mallets". One of the greatest putters of all times (that would be Billy Casper) used a mallet putter.

Are you as big a jerk (and proud of it) in real life, or do you just post your methane infused drival because you're a lonely sad human being?
    Considering Omen weighs as much as Tad Fujikawa & the same height as Stewart Cink, you gotta cut the man some slack Fred. GR is his only chance to talk shiite w/out getting his arse kicked.
    Last edited by bjdrivers; 03-20-2008 at 02:12 PM.

Considering Omen weighs as much as Tad Fujikawa & the same height as Stewart Cink, you gotta cut the man some slack Fred. GR is his only chance to talk shiite w/out getting his arse kicked.

careful bj or i'm gonna put you and your mom on a leash... just because i'm not a fat a.ss like you doesnt mean i wont slap the taste out of your mouth for looking at me wrong.

Omen

just because i'm not a fat a.ss like you doesnt mean i wont slap the taste out of your mouth for looking at me wrong.

Omen
    Photobucket

Does he choke as much as Cink on the golf course?

I agree with the spirit of your comment. People sometimes get caught up in what a "Good player should use". I use an Odyssey 2-ball mallet and do well with it. In the past I used a blade and struggled. The 2-ball mallet helps me... so I use it!

For a time I went to The Heavy Putter, because I sort of lost my putting stroke. It helped and I'm back to my two-ball now. Damn the torpedoes, use what you like.
    David Dicks,
    Handicap: 11
    In my bag:
    TaylorMade 2007 Burner (Standard Stiff Shaft)
    Callaway 5-PW Fusion WS Irons
    Callaway Big Bertha II 3,5 & 7 FW woods
    Callaway 54 & 60 Wedges
    Odyssey Putter

Quote Originally Posted by david_dicks
    I agree with the spirit of your comment. People sometimes get caught up in what a "Good player should use". I use an Odyssey 2-ball mallet and do well with it. In the past I used a blade and struggled. The 2-ball mallet helps me... so I use it!

For a time I went to The Heavy Putter, because I sort of lost my putting stroke. It helped and I'm back to my two-ball now. Damn the torpedoes, use what you like.
    Hear hear dicks!!

Thread Information