|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Smile Which Scotty putter?

Im a new member of this forum...I've been reading this forum about putters..

I cant decide which SC putter to buy..i like the look of the X5 but based on some comments in the forum, many seem to favor the anser/blade type models. If for blade which is best-the circa 62, studio select, or studio style.

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Alex

w/e gets it in the hole in the fewest amount of strokes is the putter you should go with...

I can't comment much on the mallet putters, although I did use an SC Phantom Mallet for awhile. Face balanced, it just did not suit my stroke very well. Among the blades, different styles within each model line will give you different toe hangs and style to look at at address. I suggest you choose your style first based on look at address and the amount of toe hang that fits your stroke best. That said the Circa 62 are carbon steel and may feel softer, especially the older ones before the Gray Mist surface which made them feel a wee bit more "clickier" to me. The Studio Style have the German Steel insert and didn't seem to get much love, and probably will be dropped. The Studio Select models are new, are getting action on the tour, and are the closest thing to my favorite SC models, the Studio Stainless Steel line. The weights at each end, similar to the TM Rossa CGB models, will probably increase MOI, and the range of neck styles is really the best from Scotty's past models....the Midslant is back! I've played a SSS Newport Beach 1.5 for the last couple years and I am very anxious to try the new Studio Select.

Smile Thanks Ben D..what's MOI?

I am leaning towards the Circa 62 #3...the look at address seems to give confidence..how does the neck style affect putting? Its my observation that the plumbing neck is very popular in the PGA tour...am I right?

BTW, can you further explain MOI...I am still not very clear on this..

Thanks again..

Smile Pingman D , you're right..

Pingman

You're right...which is my problem by the way: how to get the ball into the cup with the fewest number of strokes...I have tried 6 different putters and nothing seem to improve my putting...I haven't tried SC putters so I might as well give it a try..I'm willing to spend as long as it will improve my putting..

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Erasmo
    can you further explain MOI...I am still not very clear on this..
    in simple terms resistance to twisting when you hit it on the toe or heel... basically hit it anywhere an itll go straighter and still get to the hole...

I'd have to check to see the neck style of the Circa 62 #3, but if inspires for you, then that is probably the right putter for you.

Among Anser styles (for Scotty, that is Newport and Newport 2) the neck determines the toe hang (Scotty calls it "flow") or how the face is balanced. If you balance the shaft on the side of a finger, consider toe hang as toe droop. Face pointing to the sky or toe at 3 O'clock is face balanced, toe 1/4 down is about 3:45 to 4 on the clock. Straight back and straight thru strokers tend to like face balanced putters, where players with a more gated or arced stroke tend towards putters with more toe hang. Having first putted with an old Acushnet Bullseye and on slow greens, my stroke is quite arced and I like Scotty's 1.5 and 2.5 Newports with only 1/2 shaft of offset which hang at about 5 PM. As much as I tried, SBST just seems anatomically unnatural for me. The plumbers neck and Midslant necks only hang slightly more than face balanced which Scotty's website calls 1/4 toe flow. You're right that the plumbers neck with a whole shaft diameter of offset is very popular, on tour (Tiger) and off, but it always leaves the shaft looking disconnected from the head at address IMO. Hence the Cameron's Midslant which has the same offset and balance but looks more connected at address...at least to me.

MOI...moment of inertia...with the effect of resistance to twisting. Lots of ways to do this, but direct way is to lighten the center such as the back cavity with heavier ends or else adding weights to the ends. Take a look at the square drivers where the weight is pushed outwards to the far back corners within compliance for overall dimensions. Personally, I don't think MOI is very important for a putter, but I probably would moreso if I putted SBST with a mallet putter.

Scotty's are over priced, over hyped crap. I would definitely suggest having a look around at some other brands before parting with the sort of cash Scotty will try to extort from you.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Smile Scotty's overpriced..

Yes SC putters are overpriced...but I've decided to part with my hard-earned bucks to try this putter...
    alexer

Yes SC putters are overpriced...but I've decided to part with my hard-earned bucks to try this putter...
    I'm not in the market for a new putter as the Ray Cook is going very well for me, but if I was looking for something new with price no object I don't think I could possibly go past a Yes. The feel and consistency off the face is as pure as it gets and they have a big enough range to have a putter to suit any style. The best value for money putter would have to be the Odyssey XG range, which are almost as good as the Yes but under 200AUD. Both better than Scotty's IMO, and both much less expensive (under half price in the case of the XG's).
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

ok.. bottom line if u suck scotty cameron putters arent for u. They have the tiniest sweet spot known to man and that is why i went back to good ol' odyssey.... i have the #7 which is prolly one of the ugliest putters on the face of the earth but it gets the job done

Quote Originally Posted by leftie1088
    ok.. bottom line if u suck scotty cameron putters arent for u. They have the tiniest sweet spot known to man and that is why i went back to good ol' odyssey.... i have the #7 which is prolly one of the ugliest putters on the face of the earth but it gets the job done
    i think that the sweetspot of a putter is slightly easier to hit than on say a 2 iron... and i don think that it really is any smaller...

its pretty darn small........

oh and who uses a two iron anymore????? ever since the creation of the hybrid which might i say is a great invention...

The only time I might fret....

oh and who uses a two iron anymore????? ever since the creation of the hybrid which might i say is a great invention...
    ...about the sweet spot on my Scotty Newport putter is when I'm using it as a 2 iron.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    You just lost a ton of golfreview.com brownie points with that one. God be with you.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

God is with me....

Quote Originally Posted by Ben D
    ...about the sweet spot on my Scotty Newport putter is when I'm using it as a 2 iron.
    Ok...... you have some serious issues if you use your putter as a two iron. Also, your sentance structure is a bit awkward....

Ok...... you have some serious issues if you use your putter as a two iron. Also, your sentance structure is a bit awkward....
    Odd sentence structure goes with having a BA in Journalism. You misspelled "sentence".

be as it may... who uses their putter as a two-iron???

The sweet spot is the size of a pin head on any and every single club ever made. This is the spot where the horizontal and vertical centers of gravity meet.

As for Scotties, I like the studio stainless models, especially the 1.5

be as it may... who uses their putter as a two-iron???
    I do.. as long as it's GRAIN FLOW FORGED.
    FEA

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Scotty's are over priced, over hyped crap. I would definitely suggest having a look around at some other brands before parting with the sort of cash Scotty will try to extort from you.
    I agree somewhat with this. Scotty's aren't crap, but they are over priced & over hyped. It's a freakin putter people, how can one milled putter be $300 better than another? My Odyssey DFX has better feel than any scotty I've ever tried (and I've tried a lot) And it was $50 brand new.

Just remember, a putter is only as good as the schmuck holding it. Especially if that schmuck has a gay, flippy follow through with cargo shorts.

Well...I just bought the Scotty Circa 62 #2....will get it tomorrow. Will try it this weekend...Will give you my feedback..wish me luck..
    Thanks for all the comments..
    alexer

I have this bad boy on the way and cant wait to get it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putter.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	2056   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putter2.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	2057   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putter3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	2058   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putter4.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	2059   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	putter-5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	2060  

ok lyle... that's phucking hot...

Leftie.. i still use a 2iron... a cleveland ta1 2 iron to be exact. GAYBRIDS are the GAYEST thing ever created... HENCE the reason they have GAY in their freaking name.

Omen, my hybrid is a blade.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Quote Originally Posted by Omen2

I know, I couldn't resist especially for the price. I don't even care if I cant putt with it. It will win me skins just on looks alone. My competitors will see it and be scrambling to see who yells "pick it up" first.

the first pic has been saved to my desktop... who knows it may become my background...

the first pic has been saved to my desktop... who knows it may become my background...

I will post some better pics when it arrives on Monday.

Let us know how you like it. That's one sweet odyssey.

i can honestly say that i am eagerly awaiting those pics on monday... CONGRATULATIONS. THAT'S ONE SEXY PUTTER.

Omen

Im a new member of this forum...I've been reading this forum about putters..

I cant decide which SC putter to buy..i like the look of the X5 but based on some comments in the forum, many seem to favor the anser/blade type models. If for blade which is best-the circa 62, studio select, or studio style.

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Alex
    If you ask me id say tryout the newport 2 berillium te3 it has a black oil can finish

I agree they are over priced but you cant match an old school scotty cameron . No putter around holds value like an old scotty and besides evryone has a frikin scotty ,and forced me to part with my old scotty and get a YES putter. As of right now I enjoy using the Olivia model C groove and havent looked back since. Cheers

I just bought the SC newport 2. I traded in my HEAVY putter for it. Very happy. Much more confident on lag putts. Gives me lots of confidence within 5 feet.
    Driver: TaylorMade Burner 9.5* Aldila NV 65 S
    3-wood: TaylorMade r7
    Irons: Mizuno MX-23
    Wedges: Mizuno MP-R 52*, 56* & 60* True Temper S300
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1X

Best Cameron putter is Detour. It helps if you cant put to good its like a traning aide and puter in same one. kinda gimiky but still so good.

Leftie.. i still use a 2iron... a cleveland ta1 2 iron to be exact. GAYBRIDS are the GAYEST thing ever created... HENCE the reason they have GAY in their freaking name.

Omen, my hybrid is a blade.
    You know bro I own a 2iron hybrid 18degree which is a cobra baffler pro. The best investment I have made since my putter , You go ahead and hit your 2iron dude but I bet my baffler will hit 7out of 10 greens from 240 out any day even if I miss hit it. Will your 2iron do that bro?

Any putter will get the ball in the hole. Putting is all about how you read the green and the proper stroke and speed.

Leftie, you had my support with your early stuff about the Odyssey #7 (my favourite of the range), but you totally lost me with that stuff about hybrids being a good invention. The only good thing about hybrids is they help real men identify gay, limp wristed faggots on the course and allow them to change groups before getting stuck in a group with them. Apart from that, see Omen's comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Norm3333
    I just bought the SC newport 2. I traded in my HEAVY putter for it. Very happy. Much more confident on lag putts. Gives me lots of confidence within 5 feet.
    That statement shows just how subjective and psychological putting is. I have had a Heavy Putter for over 2 years, and I can lag putt (and putt for just about any distance) with it better than any putter I've ever had. The choice of a putter is completely individual. There are NO RULES, except "Use whatever works for you."
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Leftie, you had my support with your early stuff about the Odyssey #7 (my favourite of the range), but you totally lost me with that stuff about hybrids being a good invention. The only good thing about hybrids is they help real men identify gay, limp wristed faggots on the course and allow them to change groups before getting stuck in a group with them. Apart from that, see Omen's comments.

Wow! Patethic maybe i think so. If people want hybrids let them have use. It's only just your ensecurities

Thread Information