|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Question Practice shots (Rule 7-2)

Here's the scenario guys/gals:

Player A and Player B are playing a competitive round of golf, stroke play format.

While playing a hole, Player A hits his second shot short of the green. Player A decides to pull out another ball and hits a "practice" shot from the same spot as his second shot, and lands on the green.

Player B says: "That is not allowed. You can't hit a 'practice' shot in the middle of a round."

Player A replies: "You are correct, Player B, I'll add a 2-stroke penalty to this hole's score for violating Rule 7-2."

Player B says: "B.llsh.t! You're DQed. You forfeit the round by 'intentionally' hitting a practice shot during the play of a hole."

Player A replies: "According to Rule 7-2, I am penalized 2-strokes per 'practice' shot. Nothing more and nothing less."

Player B says: "You 'intentionally' hit a practice shot to learn/correct a problem in your swing in the middle of a competitive round. That's not allowed. You should be DQed."

Player A replies: "According to Rule 7-2, I am penalize 2-strokes for a 'practice' shot. The rule does not discriminate between an intentional or unintentional 'practice' shot. Therefore, I'm not DQed, nor do I forfeit the round."

Player B says: "B.llsh.t! How can you be allowed to learn/fix quirks in your swing in the middle of a round?!"

Player A replies: "I didn't write the rules. 'I'm I using it to my benefit?' You damn right I am! Besides, I get penalize 2-strokes for doing it. What do you care?"

Player B says: "That's b.llsh.t! Eventhough you incur a 2-stroke penalty for doing it, by correcting a swing flaw in the middle of the round you could shave strokes off the remainder of the holes. That potentially gives you an unfair advantage."

Player A replies: "So be it. The rules are the rules."

My question is simply this: What would a rules official's call be on this? 2-stroke penalty on Player A per "practice" shot? Or, DQ for Player A for "intentionally" trying to learn/correct a swing flaw in the middle of a round/hole?

Thanks!

oh boy

If it is a competitive round I would assume there is some sort of governing body. I.E a golf leage or somthing of that nature. Why argue about the rule? Tell him you think he is DQed play the rest of the round and ask whoever over sees this event. If they say 2 strokes its 2 strokes if they Dq him then hes out. Be carefull however if its not truly as serious an event as you think you come across as a horses you know what. I play in a golf league, semi serious but def not plaing for a green jacket, one of the guys in the league is awfull like cant even come close to breaking 100, dont think he won a match all year. Some guy in the league who takes himself way to serious followed him around with a clicker counting all his strokes to make sure he counted them all. Long story short who cares if the guy shot a 12 or a 13 on a hole? The guy with a clicker was made fun of by everyone else in the league and he never came back the next season. Could have somthing to do with the fact that we all followed him around with a clicker when we played him to show how annoying that could be.

No governing body per se. It's just myself and a friend who play together every Friday. The only thing riding on the line is pride and dinner. The bigger of the two is pride, as throughout the year we keep track of the W-L per round of golf played (stroke play format). We are both 19.8 handicap index. However, we are not consistent from round to round. In other words, one round I can score an 84, then next a 95. Because of the this inconsistency in play, a 2-stroke penalty per "practice" stroke doesn't have as much of a detrimental effect. Especially, if you can figure out a quirk in your long iron shot in the middle of a round.

Player A is breaking Rule 7-2 from time to time, however, is incurring a 2-stroke penalty everytime he does it. He has won a few contests by doing so. (He corrects a fault in his long iron shot from time to time by taking a "practice" shot.)

Player B has brought this issue up time and time again as an integrity issue, but Player A keeps pointing to the rules.

I know this all sounds petty to some, but I'm seeking an independent opinion regarding this scenario.

Are you player A or B? Inquiring minds want to know?

If I'm playing with a friend for dinner and he wants to hit a practice shot after a duffer I don't care. We are out there to practice for an event not to haggle over a practice shot. I play at an 8 hcp and realize that a practice shot or two isn't going to change anything. Now if you hit a practice shot before your actual I would say a DQ is in order.

wow for dinner and pride? I am as competitive as they come but if my buddy wants to hit a 2nd shot and not use it as a mulligan im cool with that. I am not sure I would even want to play with someone who during what is realy a practice round who would get that bent about it.

Things are the way things are. I'm not looking for criticism (constructive or otherwise).

All I'm asking, is what is the correct ruling on this particular scenario?

Does Player A get penalized with a 2-stroke penalty (per practice shot) and that's that?

Or.

Does Player A get DQed?

Oh, and we do play in tournaments. And what if Player A was a player who is playing in the 2008 Masters. Would he incur only a 2-stroke penalty or get DQed?

The rule is the rule. Two stroke penalty and nothing more.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

http://www.callawaygardens.com/callaway/info/golf.courses.aspx
    who cares. 2 strokes and label as a jerk,instigator,a-hole,sore loser and his way of telling you that you suck anyway and that he has nothing to worry about.
    "For when the One Great Scorer comes
    To write against your name,
    He marks-not that you won or lost-
    But how you played the game."
    Grantland Rice.

"There's something intrinsically therapeutic about choosing to spend your time in a wide, open park-like setting that non-golfers can never truly understand."
    Charles Rosin.

The reason this was brought up was because many a times Player B has hit a drive onto a dry, hard surface (during friendly competition). He gets no relief under the Rules. However, Player B moves his ball onto a soft, grass covered surface to hit his second shot. When Player A says it's not allowed under the rules without penalty, Player B replies by saying he's not gonna hit and "scratch" his irons. (He likes keeping all his clubs looking as nice as possible.)

Player A never really minded Player B doing that; however, recently at a tournament Player B wanted to move his ball to avoid scuffing his iron. And Player A did not allow him because they were playing a tournament and it wouldn't be fair to the other participants. Player B became upset because he ended up scuffing the sole of his 8-iron with that shot.

Since then, Player B has argued that Player A cannot take practice shots. And Player A replies by saying he can, and by doing so incur a 2-stroke penalty. Player B says Player A should be DQed for doing so.

Anyway, there's the whole background to the scenario. And it's not as heated as it may read.

Player A and B, have fun playing together. They just try to play as true to the Rules as possible. In this way, both players will truly know their handicap (no sugar coating or sandbagging).

It really sounds like player B is a poontang. "Scratching" his irons? Maybe one of the iron cover using members of the board can recommend some sole protectors for your buddy.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Sounds to me like players A & B need to have hot, anal makeup sex, watch an episode of Oprah, and learn to get along.

That's what Tiger & Roger Federer do when they disagree on rules, wether it be golf or tennis.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I think A and B need to kiss and make up...

This reminds me of two times I've played with someone "knowing the rules" of practicing during a tournament better than I do and he gets totally worked up about a rule that he can do nothing about. Basically it boils down to someone that takes life too seriously.

In both instances I was walking next to a driving range during a tournament and I pulled an iron out of my bag and, with my clubs on my back, took one handed "swings", while still walking, to knock the range balls off the course back into the range.' Both times someone "knowing the rules" in my group told me I was practicing during a round and I had to add strokes. I said, "no, a casual flicking of range balls back onto the range, I'm not addressing the ball and 'practicing', is not a breach of that rule." The person got really angry and had to be right and kept arguing for the rest of the 12 holes we had left to play. Throughout that time I asked him questions like, "are you still alive and breathing? Then close your mouth, play golf, and stop being a baby." "But it's the rules!!! You're a cheater!!!" He was fuming mad. And I'd say, "circle the hole and write +2. Once we're in the shop I'll show you on the USGA site why it wasn't a violation." He couldn't drop it and kept going. When I started to laugh at him because he couldn't drop it he would get even angrier. The other 2 guys in the group thought it was hilarious too. Needless to say, the pro sided with me after reading a ruling on the USGA site (which I had already read many months before) and the guy walked out angry as ever and couldn't accept he was wrong. It's still one of the funniest things I've ever seen in a golf tournament. The second time it happened during a tournament the guy dropped it after I said, "circle the hole, we'll discuss it after." At least he was sane. Forgot to add that.

Here ends the novel.

I am a master at hitting range balls back to the range without addressing them or setting up at all. I get a very good feeling for "plane" however and it does help me. Can also practice my low chip while walking... hands forward, wrists firm and never lose a step.
    TM Burner 9.5 - Stiff
    TM R580 3wood - Stiff
    TM TP 22degree Hybrid - Diamana Stiff
    Mizuno MP-60's (3-W) - TT Tour Concept Stiff, 126g
    TM RAC TP 52-08 Satin (Y-cutter baby) - TT Wedge Flex
    TM RAC 56-12 FE2O3 TT Wedge Flex
    Titleist Scotty Cameron Project C.L.N. 1997 Limited Edition Putter - 35"

Titleist Pro-V1x, Golfbuddy+, lots of game baby but still a 8.1

player a should use mizuno blades. then he wouldnt have missed the green on the first shot thereby negating his need for a practice shot and ultimately avoiding the whole situation all together...

player a should curse himself for buying cally or ping shovels.

Omen
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Well? Player A or B?

Thread Information