|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Hank Haney Endorses Hybrids

In this months Golf Digest on page 113 Hank Haney in a side bar to Tiger's long iron swing state the following:

"Unless you drive the ball at least 275 yards, your long irons should be hybrids."

I don't know if this fuels the debate that hybrids are not for real men but in my experience playing golf most amateurs do not drive at least 275 yards. Ergo, most amateur golfers should be using hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    In this months Golf Digest on page 113 Hank Haney in a side bar to Tiger's long iron swing state the following:

"Unless you drive the ball at least 275 yards, your long irons should be hybrids."

I don't know if this fuels the debate that hybrids are not for real men but in my experience playing golf most amateurs do not drive at least 275 yards. Ergo, most amateur golfers should be using hybrids.

Everytime I see someone using a hybrid, or if I pull it out of the bag to hit it, I immediately think of this site and the hilarious comments surrounding them. I used my hybrid 1x last week and hit a great shot with it. I was laughing the whole time.

I think you will find that most, if not all, teaching pros would endorse the use of the gaybird, if asked. I sometimes wonder if the ONLY people not in favor of them are located here on this site. Who knows.
    To each their own - I have no worries with what folks think to be honest. I have the gayness club in the bag and it worked out well for me. Then again, I swing Cobra FP and have iron head covers with a 16* 3 wood so WTF could I possibly know. lol

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/

So in other words, Hank Haney has finally come out of the closet. My advice to Tiger would be to never bend over to pick up a ball when Hank is behind him.

I bet he keeps a sharp eye on Bubba's pink shaft too.

Let me play devil's advocate, Not a Hacker style.
    Of course Hank Haney and all the other pros want you to use hybrids. Hitting long irons requires you to make a proper golf swing. That's the last thing these pros want if they want you to come back for more lessons.

HB disclaimer....
    I don't care who uses what.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Why some people put their ego before their golf game I don't understand
    Hoofer Vantage:

905R
    906F2
    695.cb
    G2i Anser

Tour 360 II

We have a very nice new golf academy/driving range where I live, and they stock pretty much everything and allow you demo all you want. I blame them for my excessive club ho'ing.

I've tried a lot of gaybrids from different manufacturers. I even put one in my bag for a while thinking it would help off the tee on the short par 4s. (TM Rescue mid) The rescue mid was least ugly of all of them

But I never could get used to it. They either look like a: a deformed long iron with too much offset, a swollen head, and a fat arse sole. or b: a fairway wood that was sawn in half and had offset added to it.

They are just butt ugly and are pretty much hook machines. Even with a steel shaft.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Interesting that you picked one with a big offset and heel weighted. You must not have done your homework with that purchase. Isn't that club design like 8 years old? I do agree with you that the this hybrid is a hook machine but it's not true for many of better hybrids on the market today.

Interesting that you picked one with a big offset and heel weighted. You must not have done your homework with that purchase. Isn't that club design like 8 years old? I do agree with you that the this hybrid is a hook machine but it's not true for many of better hybrids on the market today.
    It's the one Hank Haney told me to play!!
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Bj you are officially back in the posse...

I agree with what HB said... hank is protecting himself.. he knows you gaybrid duffers will never be able to properly hit a long iron and to protect his reputation he needs you to get a club to do the work for you.

Omen disclaimer,
    Man up you poontangs.
    Omen, the GR standard by which all GOLFERS will be measured.

Hank Haney is gay....... i would have never guessed....

I don't think it has as much to do with "properly" hitting a long iron as it does to club head speed. If you don't have the club head speed to hit a three or four iron hard enough to compress the ball and get spin the ball will not carry. The design of the hybrid produces more spin and has a higher launch and thus has greater carry.

What reputation does he have to lose by promoting or not promoting the use of a type of club?

Surely you can do better than that. Yawn. If your going to make sh!t up at least make it entertaining.
    Seriously, step up man. Why did you choose the biggest duffer hybrid as your purchase?

This last weekend, I stuck a 2 iron 210 into the wind on a Par 3 to about 4 feet. I don't think I could have hit that low draw under the wind with a hybrid, and there is no way I would have gotten close with a 3 iron, so...I personally don't see a need for one, yet.

But I have no problems whatsoever with hybrids. The best players in the world are playing them, and the best players in the world are certainly not the members of this forum, or any other forum where knocking these clubs seems to be the trend.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenCityGolfer
    This last weekend, I stuck a 2 iron 210 into the wind on a Par 3 to about 4 feet. I don't think I could have hit that low draw under the wind with a hybrid, and there is no way I would have gotten close with a 3 iron, so...I personally don't see a need for one, yet.

But I have no problems whatsoever with hybrids. The best players in the world are playing them, and the best players in the world are certainly not the members of this forum, or any other forum where knocking these clubs seems to be the trend.
    Now everyone wants to know if you made the putt.

Surely you can do better than that. Yawn. If your going to make sh!t up at least make it entertaining.
    Seriously, step up man. Why did you choose the biggest duffer hybrid as your purchase?
    Absolutely. This is the typical ranting of the uninformed, highly opinionated, and vocal. I completely agree that the TM Rescue Mid is a hook machine. I tried it. I couldn't hit it straight, either. However, there are many hybrids that are square faced and neutrally weighted that aren't hook machines and can be worked or simply hit straight. But it's easier to stereotype and make the often repeated assertion that "all hybrids are hook machines" than to take the trouble to do any intelligent research and buy a product that performs as one would expect, based on its design and/or a demo.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    Now everyone wants to know if you made the putt.
    I'd like to tell you I did, but it was not meant to be. It was my first time at this course, and the greens had me confused all day. It looked like it was going to fall in, then broke the other way about 2 inches from the cup.

Don't ask don't tell. This is the onlything you should know about them hybrids in your bag. High, soft and long is not in my vocabulary.
    Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
    Sun Tzu

"There is an old saying: If a man comes home with sand in his cuffs and cockleburs in his pants, don't ask him what he shot."
    Sam Snead

Taylor Made R9 TP
    Cleveland CG-10 52 &56
    Taylormade v-steel copy 3 & 5 wood
    Tiger Shark 18* hybrid
    Tayormade 2007 Burner 10.5 Driver
    odyssey #9 white hot
    gamer topflite
    Dewars scotch whiskey

Thread Information