|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Hybrid Equivalent of 5-wood?

I have the old Orlimar Trimetal 5-wood which I hit quite well, but not as straight as I would like to see. I am looking for suggestion for a hybrid , especially the loft to possibly achieve the same distance. Do I need 17-18 degree hybrid? Current I have Adams Idea Tech OS 4H hybrid which I believe it's either 22 or 23 degree, I hit this club quite straight. I don't worry too much about "working the ball"

Thanks

17 or 18 degrees would be it. The Nickent 3DX DC for $79 at rockbottomgolf.com is a nice choice. It doesn't tend to be the hook machines that some hybrids can be. Also the Hogan CFTs (17 or 19 deg.) are real nice for the prices they get.

daveperk Guest
    I have replaced my 17 degree Titleist five wood with a 16 degree Cleveland HiBore XLS hybrid, and it's a great trade. THe hybrid hits the ball about the same distance, but its straighter and because it's lower loft it doesn't balloon into the wind the way the five wood did. It's a more penetrating flight. I hit it off the tee on shorter par 4 holes... I also have a 19 deg Wilson hybrid that replaces both my 2 and 3 irons... a full shot is a 2 iron and a bit of a chokedown gives me 3 iron distance...

I replaced my 5 wood with the Callaway X 2hybrid it is 18*. As Dave does I hit mine on short or tight par 4's off the tee and its works great, not as long as a 5 wood but easier to control.
    FEA

I never had a 5 wood but I recently found a need for a 230-245 club so I got a 19 degree hybrid that works great. I feel better telling people it's my two iron replacement instead of a 5 wood replacement so I can still feel like a man!
    Last edited by SDB1; 04-16-2008 at 09:10 AM.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by SDB1
    I feel better telling people it's my two iron replacement instead of a 5 wood replacement so I can still feel like a man!
    Uh, shouldn't that be the other way around?
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Uh, shouldn't that be the other way around?
    No.

Replacing a 2 iron with a Hybrid is acceptable. Replacing a five wood means you're a whithering old man.

No.

Replacing a 2 iron with a Hybrid is acceptable. Replacing a five wood means you're a whithering old man.
    Hardly, you're only showing your inability to hit a long iron with any consistency, so you need an equivalent lofted inbred hybrid to give you forgiveness. Hell anyone can hit a fairway wood.

Hardly, you're only showing your inability to hit a long iron with any consistency, so you need an equivalent lofted inbred hybrid to give you forgiveness. Hell anyone can hit a fairway wood.
    I'm terrible with fairway woods off the turf. I actually hit my monster driver better off the deck. It gets a little more than head high with a baby fade. The 3 wood goes anywhere.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

You've made my point! Anyone can hit a fairway wood, so why replace it with a hybrid? You have to be terrible to replace a 5 wood with a hybrid! A 2 iron on the other hand is traditionally difficult to hit consistently. That's why it is still acceptable to get rid of it for a hybrid. Now replacing 3 or 4 iron, well......I won't even go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    I'm terrible with fairway woods off the turf. I actually hit my monster driver better off the deck. It gets a little more than head high with a baby fade. The 3 wood goes anywhere.
    Then maybe you should invest in a 460cc LaJolla knife railed 3 wood you chopper.

daveperk Guest
    You have to be terrible to replace a 5 wood with a hybrid! .
    Well, I only hit 13 greens my last time out, so I guess I"m terrible. Two of them I hit into the wind with my 16 deg hybrid-- and the same shot with the 17 deg Titleist five wood I used to carry would have ballooned into the wind and fallen short, into a water hazard in one case.

Did I mention the two 16 deg hybrids were second shots to par 5s?

If I'm terrible at anything, it's chipping and putting. THat's why I'm an 8 handicap instead of a four. I can't get around in less than about 36-37 putts per round.

But I hit the long ball pretty good. Unless it's a long shot into the wind with a 17 deg five wood.

That's why I got the hybrid.

cuz I'm terrible. :-)

Dave, you're a senior which excludes you from any hybrid toting gayness. Just look at the Champions Tour bags. I used to have a 19* Titleist 5 wood & I never had a problem with it ballooning. But like I said, your age makes you exempt from anti-gaybrid flaming.

daveperk Guest
    Dave, you're a senior which excludes you from any hybrid toting gayness. Just look at the Champions Tour bags. I used to have a 19* Titleist 5 wood & I never had a problem with it ballooning. But like I said, your age makes you exempt from anti-gaybrid flaming.
    I'm 47. I'm way out of shape and my back hurts like hell, though, so I will claim an early exemption. :-)

you should try a 19* hogan cft hybrid. i have the 21* and its one of my best hit clubs in my bag. its also a club that i always hit straight. you can probably find it pretty cheap now.
    In the bag

Driver- Taylormade Burner
    3 wood- Taylormade Burner
    5 wood- King Cobra SZ Offset
    3 Hybrid- Ping G10
    Irons 4-pw- Taylor Made 360
    Wedges- 56* Cleveland 588 Chrome Tour Action
    52* Cleveland CG10
    Putter- Taylor Made Rossa Daytona Sport 2

Thread Information