|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Driver Shaft Question

HI ALL

I currently have a swing speed of 98 to 106 mph. I also use a regular shaft and probably should use a stiff shaft from what I have been told.

I was wondering that if I shorten the shaft wouldn't this increase the stiffness of the shaft. I have been wanting to shorten the shaft for some time. I am 5'5 tall and have read that the pro's use shortened shafts to increase accuaratecy. Also the standard shafts sold today are probably are meant for taller people. Can I do this or do I have to buy a new shaft.

No short jokes please. I have heard them all.

Thanks
    My Bag

Callaway FT-5 10* Driver
    Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood
    Adams Idea Pro 3&4 Hybrid
    Mizuno MX-25 Irons 5-PW
    Mizuno MP-T Series 51*,56*,60*
    Macgregor V-Foil Putter or
    Odyssey 2-Ball Blade Putter

Since you will need a club builder to alter or replace your shaft, the obvious thing to do is talk to a club builder.

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LPSK01
    I am 5'5 tall and have read that the pro's use shortened shafts to increase accuaratecy.

Thanks
    But does it improve your spelling accurartaceyecy? That's what I want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    But does it improve your spelling accurartaceyecy? That's what I want to know.

Hey, ease off, he may be having a hard time reaching the keyboard.

I swing in the same speed as you and I recently had a fitting in which I got the best numbers with a regular VS proto. I also use a regular Graf Blue which I also find good. But it comes down to different company specs. Both shafts I have mentioned are low torque and fairly boardy, and would probably feel stiffer than some other brand's stiff shafts. As for shortening the shaft, it's a personal thing. If you find you are not very accurate it is definitely an option, and you have good speed now so probably won't lose much distance (if any) by going a bit shorter. I have a 43.5 inch shaft in the driver and find I hit it consistently further as I hit the middle of the face and get a better smash factor.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Italian zings are always the best. Nice work renzo.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I'm 5' 8" and had mine cut to 44" Gained more accuracy with no noticable distance loss. Get on a launch monitor and check ur numbers.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

If you are going to cut your shaft do it so the club fits you better. Believe me, in the quest to hit your driver better you may be tempted to try cutting your shaft to improve accuracy. Getting the right shaft in the first place will go a long way in helping you out. You want to find a shaft that allows you to make a similar swing to your other clubs and get good results. You should not have to alter your swing just to hit your driver. Many off the rack setups will force you to do this. Don't go down that road. Go to a range and hit other clubs. Try different head and shaft combos using the same swing as your other clubs. You want to groove a swing with your own clubs then hit the driver. Find one that gives good results right off the bat. It's usually a particular shaft that you'll like. Then you can fine tune your ball flight with head loft.

2 golf shafts that I like are (1) Aldila NV green and (2) Graffaloy ProLaunch Blue.... Between the two of them I like Aldila NV better because I could airborne a golf ball better to my liking. If you shorten a shaft, it would be stiffer, but it would be easier to hit and control a ball because you are standing closer it, Since you have a better contact with a shorter shaft, you may get the same distance as a result

daveperk Guest
    UST Proforce V2 is also a superb driver shaft for control and distance. NOt the longest but it's enough, and the accuracetaceyety when you get fitted for it is very dependable.

Yes, I have one in my driver. :-)

I didn't care for the feel of the NV. The VS Proto is much smoother and better feeling (both in stiff flex). I would highly recommend that you go to a reputable fitter prior to cutting your shaft length.
    Ping Rapture 9 degree Aldila VS Proto X-Stiff
    PING Tisi Tec 3 wood (14 degree) Blue Prolaunch stiff
    2-pw: PING S59 DG x100(also have PING Rapture 2 and 3 irons)
    PING iwedge 56 degrees TT DG s400
    PING i-series Craz-e 34"

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Magnifico. :-)

WTF and Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by LPSK01
    HI ALL

I currently have a swing speed of 98 to 106 mph. I also use a regular shaft and probably should use a stiff shaft from what I have been told.

I was wondering that if I shorten the shaft wouldn't this increase the stiffness of the shaft. I have been wanting to shorten the shaft for some time. I am 5'5 tall and have read that the pro's use shortened shafts to increase accuaratecy. Also the standard shafts sold today are probably are meant for taller people. Can I do this or do I have to buy a new shaft.

Thanks
    Your wrist to floor measurement is more important than your overall height, but you may still gain from doing it. I am 5'8" but use a standard 45" shaft in my FT3. That said, I currently have tape on the top 3/4 inch of my grip to remind me to choke down while I experiment with it.

Keep in mind that shortening the shaft will effect swingweight, flex/CPM, and overall feel, among other factors. Shortening from tip vs. butt will make a big difference in flex, and whether to do that with a regular or stiff shaft. And take your tempo and transition at the top into consideration also. If your tempo is smooth and transition you may want to stay with regular, especially if you effectively stiffen the club by shortening it. I'd suggest a good fitting and/or a club builder when it comes to correcting swingweight or flex.

You should see a club builder to get sorted out properly, too many variables, eg: tempo, tip stiffness, torque, length, angle of attack. What may be OK for someone similar to you may need tweaking or complete change for you.

Thread Information