|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

shorter driver,longer drives?

had my driver cut down to 43.75 inches from 45 inches based on my wrist to floor measurements and lyles advice.
    hit it at the range last night and couldnt believe the difference much more accurate and to my suprise longer by probably 15 yards.no joke. club feels much better in my hands as well. for those of you who may be afraid of losing distance with a shorter driver try it first you may be suprised as well.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Yep, cut mine to 44" and I'm much more accurate with it. tightens up the swing and you make better contact which = more distance.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I've got 45" driver as well. Lyle also recommended mine be shortened to 43". Shortening 2" would also require adding head weight to bring back the proper swing weight and flex. Since I haven't found a quality clubfitter yet to make the appropriate adjustments, I've been just choking up about an inch and a half. Like you guys I've found much more accuracy and clubhead speed doing this. I'm choking up and inch now on fairway woods also with the same effect. Occasionally you'll find a hidden gem on these threads that actually improve your game. Thanks, Lyle. According to Tom Wishon, the PGA Tour Average is 44 and a half.
    Last edited by Strick; 05-07-2008 at 06:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Strick
    I've got 45" driver as well. Lyle also recommended mine be shortened to 43". Shortening 2" would also require adding head weight to bring back the proper swing weight and flex. Since I haven't found a quality clubfitter yet to make the appropriate adjustments, I've been just choking up about an inch and a half. Like you guys I've found much more accuracy and clubhead speed doing this. I'm choking up and inch now on fairway woods also with the same effect. Occasionally you'll find a hidden gem on these threads that actually improve your game. Thanks, Lyle. According to Tom Wishon, the PGA Tour Average is 44 and a half.
    I have an r7 425 and i can add weight with the removable weight system but have not needed to yet.
    the club feels a bit lighter but with the xtra control all is working well so far.

I understand the theory...

... and have read Wishon's book. I have tried lots of drivers and usually, the 46" drivers feel too awkward and indeed hit shorter ON AVERAGE than my 44" 13 degree Nike Sumo.

I have found one exception though. The Tour Edge Exotics XLD, listed at 46" but seems more like 46.5", hits the ball straight and MUCH further than the Nike. For whatever reason this driver just clicks with me, and the long length doesn't bother me at all, and indeed delivers the associated extra distance.

I also cut my driver down after advice from Lyle. Interestingly enough I learned a few things in the 10 minute process of cutting my club down. First When Golf Town built my driver, they had the length at 44.75", Where they got this number from is beyond me? but that's what they did. After a lengthy discussion they agreed to cut an inch off the grip end. It's not exactly the 43" that Lyle had suggested, but that extra .75" makes not difference to me. Just like everyone else I've noticed a huge increase in fairways hit off the tee, and the added distance is there too.
    For those who may be playing with a driver that's too long, which by my readings is a lot of us. I would listen to Lyle's words, he knows what he's talking about!! I did find it took a little getting used to first round out with my shorter driver. It felt awkward to have the proper length club in my hands.

King Cobra 3100i H/L (5-GW)
    Cleveland CG11 56 & 60
    YES C-groove (natalie)

when my driver broke i ended up having to buy another Diamana to put in it so when i did i decided to go shorter i went from 45.25" to 43.5" i dont think im any longer or shorter but i hit it straighter and i wasnt very crooked in the first place... in short it was smart to do...

I had my driver shortened to 43.5 and I find it goes longer and straighter.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information