|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Static Weight vs Swing Weight

Do you understand the relationship between static weight and swing weight and how and why they both work together and against each other?
    Lyle posted this question a few days ago (he obviously knows the answer), and I honestly have no idea. None of the clubfitters I have been to have ever mentioned this relationship. Can anyone shed some light on this question? Also, how does one go about determining the optimal static & swing weights?

Count me in as wanting to know how to optimize this.
    To differentiate the two, think of it this way.
    If you swing a hammer holding the mallet end, it feels light. Holding the end of the hammer, it feels heavy. This is swing weight.
    The hammer always has the same static weight.
    fred3 antagonizer
    2010 recipiant of TRG Commendation of Excellence
    Member GR Club 5K
    Member GFF Crew

*Plus many more accolades that are the cause of jealousy

Quote Originally Posted by Horseballs
    Count me in as wanting to know how to optimize this.
    To differentiate the two, think of it this way.
    If you swing a hammer holding the mallet end, it feels light. Holding the end of the hammer, it feels heavy. This is swing weight.
    The hammer always has the same static weight.
    Is that why Cargo Putter's mom seems lighter when her head's hanging off the bed compared to when her caboose is?

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    Is that why Cargo Putter's mom seems lighter when her head's hanging off the bed compared to when her caboose is?
    Roger. When her caboose end is off the bed the swing weight goes up to a D4.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I asked Lyle about this in that thread. Haven't checked if I got an answer yet, but this is a good question and an unusually sensible thread, in spite of the hijack attempts. I hope we get some answers.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    Roger. When her caboose end is off the bed the swing weight goes up to a D4.
    That might explain why she wears all that lead tape around her neck. Although she claims it doesn't affect her coefficient of prostitution. I think a good waxing would change both her static and swing weight dramatically. I'll tell you though, they'd have to use alot of wax. And Hacker, I don't think we're hijacking here, this fits right into the discussion, no less than Cargo Putter's mom's head fits into the toilet. When she's thirsty, she'll drink whatever's nearby.

Lyle may have a different opinion.
    Last edited by lorenzoinoc; 05-13-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Static weight is the total weight of the assembled club. Dynamic weight is basically how the assembled club feels and plays while you are swinging it. The problem with this is it's very subjective and the majority of the time comes down to player preference.

There is no real way to tell an individual what they should be playing without a ton of experimentation and player feedback or very expensive motion tracking and calculation equipment.

Changes in dynamic weight can alter swing characteristics in some players. This is not always the case but is worth trying for players exibiting certain swing traits. Butt weighting for players with an over the top swing can help them drop the club more into the slot. The results will vary by player and so far doesn't seem to be consistent accross the board.

The reason you don't see it that often is because it is a long trial and error process that may yield little to no results in many players.

It's for these reasons why I believe that Lyle was using the whole Static/Dynamic weight scenario as a means only to attempt to win an argument. It should most definately not be the first place to start for a beginning player! One obvious exception to this would be for weaker players who should for the most part be playing lighter clubs. Weaker players would struggle severely if trying to play with clubs that were to heavy.

Static weight is the total weight o f agolf club (grams). Swing weight is nothing more than the ratio of how weight is balanced on a golf club (over the last 14 inches). A club with a very light static weight can still have a high swingweight, depending on how the weight is distributed. You can have two clubs with identical static weights but very different swingweights. If you take a stick with a three pound weight hanging on the end an dgrip it at the opposite tip, the stick will feel very heavy. If you choke up on the stick, the weight on the end will feel lighter (even though the stick wieght has not changed). BTW add ing two pennies to a clubhead will increase teh swingweight of a club by one point.
    Ping Rapture 9 degree Aldila VS Proto X-Stiff
    PING Tisi Tec 3 wood (14 degree) Blue Prolaunch stiff
    2-pw: PING S59 DG x100(also have PING Rapture 2 and 3 irons)
    PING iwedge 56 degrees TT DG s400
    PING i-series Craz-e 34"

Great explanation but how do each affect the swing? I know my pro is always trying to get me to increase my static club weight. He says it will help slow my transition which can be a fault of mine.

Thread Information