|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Cool the importance on being ernest

i had challenges with long iron and FW wood shots, so I had bought a new hybrid.

which was good...but guess what worked better for me?

lessons... with a swing pro that knows me and my game.

heck, now, my brand new good looking hybrid's on its way to my son's bag...

some dude here in GR has this pearl of wisdon on his auto signature: "it's the indian, not the arrow."
    golf's a relaxing betting game.

As I've always said, do whatever works. Chances are if you had worked as hard trying to get the hybrid to work (assuming the shaft flex, face angle, and weight distribution of the head were optimal for your swing) you'd have done well playing either. Congratulations on doing what works in your hands. That's what everybody should have as their goal, not worrying about what club or clubs get them the result they seek.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

Way to go ironman. As you have shown, long irons will improve your game, and hybrids will simply allow you to keep playing with flaws.

Further proof that long irons are for real golfers with game and hybrids are for people who want to take the easy route.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I unfortunately play with golfers that have hybrids in their bag, sometimes.

Whenever one of those cocksuckers reaches into their bag for something, I am quite frightened at the very real prospect, of their unexplainably/unexpectably pulling a dildo out of the bag.

Here I am playing golf, and all of a sudden, at the turn, I am looking at a hybrid player with a large black dildo in his hand. Oh no you didn't!

I am always ready to give a sucker punch to the dick or throat, of any hybrid player that tries to throw down that shit on me.

That is not how I roll bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by spankdog
    I unfortunately play with golfers that have hybrids in their bag, sometimes.

Whenever one of those cocksuckers reaches into their bag for something, I am quite frightened at the very real prospect, of their unexplainably/unexpectably pulling a dildo out of the bag.

Here I am playing golf, and all of a sudden, at the turn, I am looking at a hybrid player with a large black dildo in his hand. Oh no you didn't!

I am always ready to give a sucker punch to the dick or throat, of any hybrid player that tries to throw down that shit on me.

That is not how I roll bitch.
    With all these years of diligently improving your swing by playing long irons, have you broken 90 yet, Spank?
    Last edited by dorkman53; 05-16-2008 at 05:07 AM.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

For me, if the long irons don't feel good, there's something wrong in my swing. Practicing wth them helps me correct the flaw. They also are one of the best tempo tools I have. Hitting a long iron well during a round is as fun as anything in golf for me. All that said, they don't work well in real rough. Hybrids do. The foregoing summarizes my quandry. At some point I'll probably learn to hit a hybrid and take out one of the long irons.

BTW, hacker, tried choking the 5 wood and I'm just not comfortable with the results.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Quote Originally Posted by dorkman53
    With all these years of diligently improving your swing by playing long irons, have you broken 90 yet, Spank?
    PWNED!

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    I hate beating a dead horse, but that happens a lot on GR.

I've said before, I have no use for a 3 iron in my bag. If it was in my bag, it would collect dust. It's very rare for me to have that yardage into a green. (I can hit my 4 iron 220+ if need to step on it) If I need to punch out of the woods & keep it low, I can hit a 4 iron.

Maybe 20 years ago when golf balls didn't fly near as far there was a need for 3 irons. All I want is a club to use off the tee on tight par 4s that will provide length, shot shaping for doglegs, and accuracy. I think that's primarily why hybrids are being made. Like Lorenzo said, I believe hybrids do work better from the rough as well. (So do fairway woods)

So it's quite simple. I have no problem hitting a stupid 3 iron. Fact is, I have no use for it, pulling it out of the bag and adding a 52* gap wedge makes much more sense. Omen likes to think I can't hit a 3 iron since I trade it in for the gap wedge. Brilliance on display right there.

The prefer the 503.H club to a fairway wood because it plays more like an iron and is much more workable. (I avg 220-230 with it) So in essence I replace a 5 wood with my hybrid, and replace my 3 iron with a gap wedge. The 503.H kicks arse from the rough as well. To each his own.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

hybrids imo are more to help acheive a better LA... lessons work to help you make the right swing...

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    I have no problem hitting a stupid 3 iron. Fact is, I have no use for it, pulling it out of the bag and adding a 52* gap wedge makes much more sense. Omen likes to think I can't hit a 3 iron since I trade it in for the gap wedge. Brilliance on display right there.

The prefer the 503.H club to a fairway wood because it plays more like an iron and is much more workable. (I avg 220-230 with it) So in essence I replace a 5 wood with my hybrid, and replace my 3 iron with a gap wedge. The 503.H kicks arse from the rough as well. To each his own.
    I went in the opposite direction going to my 2 iron over a hybrid I was playing, but for the same reason. I found more use for my 2iron than my hybrid (Callaway 17* Heavenwood) because I found more use for my 2. I can work the 2 easier than the hybrid due to its smaller head, though it requires much more skill on my part to use it well. 1/2/3 irons arent for everyone, and getting a good 3rd wedge makes a lot of sense in many cases. My friend used a hybrid to replace both a fairway wood and a long iron. And, with varying wedge lofts, you can find ways to replace wedges for long clubs or vice versa. There are so many options at play. Though I dont play the hybird, I am going to keep it should I ever learn to use it better than the 2 iron, or just to have another option to put in my bag.

Quote Originally Posted by pingman360
    hybrids imo are more to help acheive a better LA... lessons work to help you make the right swing...
    Ernie Els uses them for tempo and to check his swing. Guess he needs more lessons. You should call him.

daveperk Guest
    I have no problem hitting a stupid 3 iron. Fact is, I have no use for it, pulling it out of the bag and adding a 52* gap wedge makes much more sense. .
    Amen... I'm between hybrid and four iron about twice a round, but I need that wedge choice about ten times a round... and I can always choke down on the hybrid... but I can't choke and put a PW in there over a bunker at 95 yards... it won't STOP. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    Amen... I'm between hybrid and four iron about twice a round, but I need that wedge choice about ten times a round... and I can always choke down on the hybrid... but I can't choke and put a PW in there over a bunker at 95 yards... it won't STOP. :-)
    I don't care if you use a hybrid, you big ass bastard. Just keep the large black cylindrical object in the trunk during the round, because it scares me.

Do you slap the dirt off your clubs with that thing... slap divots back down with it... slap mosquitos off your back with it? I don't want to know.

Just don't throw that bastard. I don't want you killing any squirrels, now.

Thanks.

daveperk Guest
    Do you slap the dirt off your clubs with that thing... slap divots back down with it... slap mosquitos off your back with it? I don't want to know..
    Let's get back to basics here.. if you don't want to know, why all the QUESTIONS?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    For me, if the long irons don't feel good, there's something wrong in my swing. Practicing wth them helps me correct the flaw. They also are one of the best tempo tools I have. Hitting a long iron well during a round is as fun as anything in golf for me. All that said, they don't work well in real rough. Hybrids do. The foregoing summarizes my quandry. At some point I'll probably learn to hit a hybrid and take out one of the long irons.

BTW, hacker, tried choking the 5 wood and I'm just not comfortable with the results.
    yeah that's what i'm talking about...

I hate beating a dead horse, but that happens a lot on GR.
    and i shamelessly beat them.
    carry on
    thump thump da thump thump

Ernie Els uses them for tempo and to check his swing. Guess he needs more lessons. You should call him.
    you misunderstand me... i mean that while hybrids can help you it is still important to have a proper swing...

Quote Originally Posted by daveperk
    Let's get back to basics here.. if you don't want to know, why all the QUESTIONS?
    I asked the questions first, then decided I did not want to know the answers. Granted, you may be one of the rare ones without a large rubber object in the bag, but I am frightened at the prospect everytime I see a hybrid in the bag, of another player.

...Here I am, lining up a putt, and I find my hybrid partner behind a tree.

I don't need that kind of crap in my life.

I asked the questions first, then decided I did not want to know the answers. Granted, you may be one of the rare ones without a large rubber object in the bag, but I am frightened at the prospect everytime I see a hybrid in the bag, of another player.

...Here I am, lining up a putt, and I find my hybrid partner behind a tree.

I don't need that kind of crap in my life.

Better behind a tree than behind you...

It's not like you relish the thought of crouching right down there and sizing up a footlong for bird...

You're a "flagstick out" kinda guy, right?

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    Better behind a tree than behind you...
    It's not like you relish the thought of crouching right down there and sizing up a footlong for bird...
    You're a "flagstick out" kinda guy, right?
    FON
    If a hybrid playing bastard tries to straddle my ass, trust me, we will not be playing golf anymore...

We'll be playing "kick your ass."

If a hybrid playing bastard tries to straddle my ass, trust me, we will not be playing golf anymore...

And all this time I thought your first choice would've been to play "leapfrog". Amphibians are hybrids too.

FON
    "The less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be." - Bruce Lee

Taylormade R580XD 9.5
    Taylormade Rescue Dual 19
    Taylormade rac MB TP (3-PW)
    Taylormade rac Satin TP (52,56,60)
    Taylormade Rossa Monza Corza center shaft

Quote Originally Posted by FreakOfNature
    And all this time I thought your first choice would've been to play "leapfrog". Amphibians are hybrids too.

FON
    I will leapfrog all over the bitch too.

Hybrid playing cocksuckers better leave that shit at home.

All day, son

spank

Any properly made and fitted club performs well when you put a good swing on it.

Picked up a Cally 5w at demo day last week. Nutted that thing easier than my hybrid. I felt it was too much like cheating so I decided to stick with my hybrid.

Yeah, why would you use anything that was "like cheating"? This game is too damn easy. I would be on the tour if it wasn't for the pay cut I'd have to take.

.......Hitting a long iron well during a round is as fun as anything in golf for me...........BTW, hacker, tried choking the 5 wood and I'm just not comfortable with the results.
    Bingo! The feeling through the hands and right up through the arms from a well struck long iron is incomparable. We all play golf with different specific goals, but we all have one goal alike, to have fun on the course. For some of us having fun means striving to get that feeling from a perfectly struck long iron. For others it is getting a more consistent result from a game improvement hybrid that registers the same dull thud through the hands whether you have hit it flush or duffed it. I honestly believe for me having long irons in the bag gives me more fun without affecting my score, but even if it did it would just make me work harder til I got better with the long iron. If the time came when I could no longer pure a long iron it would obviously no longer be fun to hack around the course with one and I would have to consider alternatives. But until that day comes I will keep at least a 3 iron in the bag. I can understand guys who realy struggle with long irons getting hybrids, but all the guys here who have the talent to hit long irons but prefer hybrids has got me stumped.

Don't know what to say about the 5W. Choking down the club has worked for me. Maybe I naturally make some compensation that makes it work but don't realise I'm doing it. Might be one for the more learned guys on the forum.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Don't know what to say about the 5W. Choking down the club has worked for me. Maybe I naturally make some compensation that makes it work but don't realise I'm doing it. Might be one for the more learned guys on the forum.
    I'm still at it, so maybe I'll figure it out. I'd like to, it would save me a club.

I think the real issue is that many people, probably the majority, don't generate enough clubhead speed to be able to hit a 2 iron effectively. I know my father in law can't hit his 3 or 4 iron longer than his 5 iron due to slow clubhead speed. He has the skills required to make solid contact but the ball just isn't going to go anywhere.

hey, kid, grow up. i think you need to go get that sand out of your vagina

Thread Information