|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

What's in Phil's Bag????

Been a little busy the past couple days and haven't seen much of the golf this weekend, but yesterday I turned it on as Mickelson was on the tee hitting driver and one of the comentators noted that the hole wasn't a good hole to use driver on, but that Mickelson's next highest lofted club in his bag was his 3 iron. What else does he have in his bag?!?!? A 5th wedge???? 2 putters???? Anybody heard???
    Driver: Lookin' for one!!!!!!!
    5W: Ping i3 17*---Stiff
    3h: Adams Idea Pro Gold Tour 20*---Stiff
    4-PW: Callaway Big Bertha '06---Uniflex
    GW: Cleveland Niblick 49*
    SW: Callaway Forged 54*
    LW: Callaway Forged 60*
    Putter: MasterGrip 415 CR

5 wedges (PW, GW, SW LW and XLW). Either leaving the 6 iron out or the fairway wood.

That's a bit over the top. I have 4 wedges including the PW but I think you need something between the driver and irons. I only use the 5W a couple of times a round but they are usually important shots that couldn't be played with anything else.

Phil obviously thinks this setup is best for him on this course and it's hard to argue with him.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Phil is still drinking the Pelz koolaid. Hopefully at some point he'll come to his senses.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    Phil is a bit over the top period. I use 4 wedges as well, and I think that's plenty. I fully expect him to start using 2 putters soon. A "left breaker" and a "right breaker". Stupid.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

I thumbed through Pelz's book once, what over the top BS.

He started with an old fashioned setup:

D
    3w
    5w
    2-PW
    SW
    Pt

(like who has a 5w AND a 2 iron?)

His recommendation was to drop the 2, 4 & 6 iron to add all the extra wedges. So your bag would look something like:

D
    3w
    5w
    PW 48*
    GW 52*
    SW 56*
    LW 60*
    XW 64*
    Pt

I guess all those extra wedges work for Phil because he is brilliant with his wedge play. Personally I think this setup would be disastrous for most amateur hackers.
    I chose the road less traveled.

Now where the f#ck am I?

If people existed only if they served some purpose other than self promotion, Pelz would evaporate.

Quote Originally Posted by lorenzoinoc
    If people existed only if they served some purpose other than self promotion, Pelz would evaporate.
    Does that go for David Leadbetter too?

Now where the f#ck am I?

I was amazed that Phil was able to pull off the best second shot of his life on hole 18 at Colonial yesterday in Dallas. For a shot like that, either Phil or anyone would deserve to win

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Player
    Does that go for David Leadbetter too?
    For him and for Butch Harmon as well, now that the post up style he emphasized with Tiger has led to multiple knee surgeries.

Quote Originally Posted by Pky6471
    I was amazed that Phil was able to pull off the best second shot of his life on hole 18 at Colonial yesterday in Dallas. For a shot like that, either Phil or anyone would deserve to win
    Yeah I agree, that shot was amazing. But it involved a bit of luck that he even had a shot after that drive. If he had been stuck against a tree he probably would have lost.

Now where the f#ck am I?

daveperk Guest
    Phil has the PW and also a Cally 51 ,55, 60, and 64... that's what I heard the anncr say...

But I saw him hit a par five with driver 4 iron Sunday, and I think it was over 600 yards.. he hit the 4 iron from about 270 or something stupid like that, rolled it up...a downwind play but still.

I got to see Phil's wining approach yesterday and I say hat's off to him for a great shot under presuure. Sure he was lucky to have a shot, but I think golf should be more about pulling off amazing recovery shots than just hitting fairways and greens. Phil still knows howto play old school golf, and it's great to see players go for that type of shot. Phil's shot took me back to the good old days of Seve, Norman, Miller and co who would always be thinking green and birdie no matter how wide their tee shots went. Lot's of modern players wouldn't have even thought of green form there and would have been looking for somewhere to pitch to and try to get up and down for a playoff. Tiger is probably the only player who would have attempted it with any chance of pulling it off.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

https://bigcedar.com/golf/buffalo-ridge-springs-course/
    So no gaybrids in the bag for phil this week and he won. I will now only refer to him as Mr. A Cups.
    Be glad we aren't getting all of the government we're paying for.

yah that was sic;, who needs a 3 wood when you can hit the green in two with driver, iron. Golf at the pro level is quite different.

BTW, I would have liked to see Tim Clark have a chance at a playoff. Talk about to opposites. He has made over $10 million without a single win. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bjdrivers
    So no gaybrids in the bag for phil this week and he won. I will now only refer to him as Mr. A Cups.
    Ok so the golf was brilliant but ugh, those ugly man breast's were on show between shots. It was either cold or he was pleased to see someone.

Someone should get him a dietician and a personal trainer!

Now where the f#ck am I?

daveperk Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker
    Lot's of modern players wouldn't have even thought of green form there and would have been looking for somewhere to pitch to and try to get up and down for a playoff. Tiger is probably the only player who would have attempted it with any chance of pulling it off.
    I have to disagree here. Looked to me like phil was under a tree but that he had a clear shot if he could just get it over the trees in front of him, and they weren't that tall. I think it was a nobrainer that just LOOKED hard because of camera angles.

And because he had to bring it in across that bunker and then to a downslope away from the hole.. and I suspect he was just plain lucky to get that distance exactly right..

but I don't think the shot looked anything like impossible from where he was. A certain level of player stops thinking about any objects that are not directly in the path of the ballflight he expects. That tree in front of him was not high enough to concern him. It was all about the lie and the target.

Dramatic, but not a particularly difficult wedge play, well done under pressure but not a miracle shot.

Uh, he has both. He has lost many pounds since last year. He is down at least a cup size!

It's hard to say from the camera angle. I don't recall who was on the ground but the commentator following him thought he would have to play around the trees. But I agree to some point. The commentator probably wouldn't be able to make that shot over the trees but hey he probably can't hit a 270 yard 4 iron either. So I guess everything is relative. One thing is for sure, when Phil is on he makes every round exciting to watch. If he came up short into the kitty litter on 18 you'd have to watch because you know he's got the short game to hole it out. You're just waiting for Phil to go for the impossible shot or screw a 2 stroke lead on the final hole. He bombed and gouged the hole way around that course. Seems like there is no middle ground for him.

He sure didn't do a very good job earlier in the round when he stuck that punch layup into the branches of the tree in from of him. Boy that was head shaking ugly. What the hell was he thinking?

daveperk Guest
    I watched a vid on utube of a 'toughman' fight a few years back with two heavyweights, and the winner had, I swear, D cups.. he bounced around when the decision was announced and the floppin' made me think I was watching some strip show... he wasn't really big time obese, he just had that genetic propensity to grow breasts.. I wouldn't have laughed at him, tho, cuz he'd knock my block off.. :-)

Driver: Callaway I-Mix FT-5 9.5*
    3 Wood: Callaway FT Tour 13*
    Irons (3-4): Callaway X-Forged
    Irons (5, 7-PW): Callaway Prototype
    Wedges (AW, SW, LW, UW): Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*, 64*
    Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG PM 18 Protoype

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    Uh, he has both. He has lost many pounds since last year. He is down at least a cup size!
    Oh really? Yeah I noticed he looked a bit trimmer and one of the commentators mentioned something about him cutting out all carbs. Oh well, he just needs to lay off those estrogen tablets then.

Now where the f#ck am I?

Quote Originally Posted by poe4soul
    BTW, I would have liked to see Tim Clark have a chance at a playoff. Talk about to opposites. He has made over $10 million without a single win. Crazy.
    Does he still shank his chips? I remember watching him a couple of years ago and he was bump and running hybrid from anywher around the green, and yipped a chip with a wedge that flew over the green.

Another thing I love about Clark was a few years ago at the Masters when he looked confused every time he hit a tee shot and the crowd yelled TIMMMYYY!!!!!! I gues at the time he had never watched Southpark

Thread Information