|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pitching practice mat?

Probably like many of you, I like to practice pitching in the back yard. I have one of those practice mats, like a piece of a driving range mat, and a little bulls-eye target thing to practice pitching into. The problem is that these kind of mats are way too forgiving of hitting it fat - behind the ball. There's no negative feedback whatsoever if you don't pick it clean. It makes it even worse because the mat is sitting on grass.

My course has very hard, tight fairways, and you absolutely have to pick the ball clean if you're going to score. So, I need something else.

Anyone know of a good source of a better kind of mat? I'm thinking something like a thin layer of astroturf on rubber, mounted to a piece of plywood or hard and heavy plastic would work well.

- Dave

find out what kind of fairway your course uses, go buy some, grow a little, maintain it. wulah!

aren't those pitching mats bascically astroturf on a piece of rubber? i find that my mat gives decent feedback because u can totally tell how u've hit it by the sound. i dunno maybe different mats are softer/harder then others. anyways, buy a piece of berber carpet and give that a try. i practice pitching indoors sometimes against an old mattress. i find that i like the carpet better than the mat. good feel and feedback. give it a try and tell me how u like it.

Yes, I can kinda tell how I hit it by the sound, but I'd much rather get more "punished" than that, if I hit behind it. The carpet idea might work, though. It just seems like someone would make a mat that simulates playing conditions more. Isn't that the common grip of driving range mats - that it's too easy to hit it fat, and see a good shot?

Anyways, meanwhile, and apropos of nothing, FE00 - what's with your handle? Is it a hex thing? 65024?

- Dave

[QUOTE=Dave T]Yes, I can kinda tell how I hit it by the sound, but I'd much rather get more "punished" than that, if I hit behind it. The carpet idea might work, though. It just seems like someone would make a mat that simulates playing conditions more. Isn't that the common grip of driving range mats - that it's too easy to hit it fat, and see a good shot?

Anyways, meanwhile, and apropos of nothing, FE00 - what's with your handle? Is it a hex thing? 65024?
    - Dave[/QUOTE

????

I thought you were a computer programmer. I guess not. Programmers use "hexidecimal math" - base 16. FE00 in hexidecimal is 65024 in decimal. It must sound pretty bizzarre that I assumed that, but I bet if any programmer saw your handle, he'd think the same thing. So, what does FE00 mean?

Thread Information