|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Pinhi Guest

Pull Cart vs Push Cart

I have had lower back problems for years. I have tried carrying my clubs and this put my golf game out of order for almost a month

My finances dictate that I do not ride or pay for a caddy.

I have a pull cart I am currently using with some success. I define success as a sore back but still functioning. I have been walking 18 holes 2 or 3 times a week.

Lets assume I can get a push or pull cart of approximately the same quality and ignore the features offered. Will my back thank me for choosing one over the other? Reasonably priced brands/models will also help. Anything over $80 will probably have to wait for Christmas or my birthday

Thanks for any advice

Get a sun mountain speed cart and you will be glad you did for years to come. The difference it makes in ease of push is amazing. They are a bit pricey at around $200, but the ease of a round they produce is worth every penny.

I'll second the motion about the Sun Mountain Speed Cart. I've been using one for quite a few years now. It is MUCH easier on the back, shoulders, and elbows, the parts that used to get strained with those awkward pull carts. Plus, the rolling resistance is far less. It's really almost like walking without clubs, except if you have to go up a steep incline, you feel the weight of the clubs. I highly recommend it.
    Another plus of the Sun Mountain vs. some of its competitors: it has a cable operated caliper brake, like a bicycle brake. It locks when you want to immobilize the unit, but can also be pressed lightly on downslopes so you don't have to hold the cart back. You simply feather the brake with your finger and it keeps the cart going your speed, not the speed gravity wants to take it.
    Like most carts, it folds up to a more compact shape. I can easily get my Speed Cart plus my golf bag in the trunk of my Honda Civic.
    Seldom right, never in doubt......

I just bought a Clicgear 2008 v.2 , push it one time already, very very good push cart, small size for my trunk, very stable, most of the time I have to use the brake otherwise it would roll by itself. This is much better than my BagBoy push cart that I've been using for over 10 yrs. BTW, the old BagBoy push cart is still working fine, I am getting older... hahaha

I've got an Aussie made push cart called a Smoothy and it's made carting the clubs heaps easier. It has suspension on all three wheels and almost pushes itself. In Australia every second cart is a Smoothy. Don't know if they sell them over there, but to get one here brand new wold be out of your price range as they retail around 200. They are worth it though as I've had mine for over 3 years and had no issues yet. Also very portable as they fold down without having to disconnect anything and fit easily into the back of the car.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I "third" the opinions about the Speed Cart by Sun Mountain. It's easy to push; has a little storage area that you can keep your cell phone (on vibrate of course) or range finder in, while walking, along with an umbrella stand, cup holder and an airpump. It's easy to use; put in the trunk and open, etc. Also, unlike BagBoy, which had to change their design after being sued by Sun Mountain for infringement, it doesn't require 3rd wheel/front wheel to be detached and re-attached for set-up.

To be brutally honest, however, I find a couple of drawbacks. Tires seem not to hold air that well. Have to re-air fairly often. Also the provided handpump is not very useful for doing that; the wheelspokes seem to interfere with easy usage of the pump. So I either air up at a service station on way to course or use my portable airpump. Normal flexible hoses seem to work much better. Pushcarts are the way to go when compared to old, fuddy duddy pull carts.........plus you won't get as much guff from your buddies.

The problem with asking these questions is everyone is going to defend their purchasing decision. I will be no different, I love my clicgear push cart, it rocks and we can fit four of these gems and four bags in the back of an SUV no problem. I finally got my fat ass friends to walk now.

daveperk Guest
    I had an old "drag cart" for years, and got banned from several courses because of turf damage. Since then I've stuck with push carts and pull carts.

Pushing is much better than dragging a pull cart and it's easier on the back.

My wife has a Sun Mountain and I have a click gear that I use in the winter. I like them both for different reasons.

The click gear is a great design and like the small package and it is fits into the car better.
    The click gear is harder to open and close than the sun mountain
    The click gear is heavier than the sun mountain.
    The click gear 2 has hard plastic tires and I like them over the inflatable tires.
    The click gear cog breaking system isn't as good as the bike cable style sun mountain break because you can use it on steep down hills to slow the cart down.
    I like the position of the handles on the click gear over the sun mountain. They are bent a bit more and is more comfortable.
    I like the alignment adjustment on the click gear over the sun mountain.

It's really pretty even. If you have the room in your car or truck I would buy the sun mountain. If room is an issue go with the click gear.

Thread Information