|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Taylormade RAC LT 2004 Irons

I was at Play it Again Sports today and I saw a set of Taylormade RAC LT 2004 irons, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold s300 in near new condition. The shaft label reads Taylormade but in small letters it reads Dynamic Gold S300. The grips are Taylormade and like new. It's selling for $149.

I have never really bothered to take a look at this particular model before today. I put the 7 iron down at address and it's one of the best looking irons I've seen. The profile and shape of the clubhead is exactly what I like to see in an iron.

So, has anyone hit these. I've heard some great things about them and I've also heard the bad. I've read some reviews and most of the people rave about them. Some say the trajectory is too high but that may have been with the stock rifle shaft.

Anyone ever try them? I could swear I recall NAH and Lorenzo sharing comments about them in the past.

Yeah good irons, and very popular at the time. They were cast of course which put some forged purists off but they were solid performers. They were a good blend of players iron with some forgivness built in. Not too oversize or chunky. It was after this time that GI irons started getting over thr top in design IMO. They were common enough with S300. It was one of the stock options as were the rifles or a TT lighterweight shaft that TM put their name on.
    In summary, good irons, above average but not outstanding.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Yeah good irons, and very popular at the time. They were cast of course which put some forged purists off but they were solid performers. They were a good blend of players iron with some forgivness built in. Not too oversize or chunky. It was after this time that GI irons started getting over thr top in design IMO. They were common enough with S300. It was one of the stock options as were the rifles or a TT lighterweight shaft that TM put their name on.
    In summary, good irons, above average but not outstanding.
    Thanks OP. I may get them simply becaue I love the way they look behind the ball. Very little offset, and the toe is slightly pointed rather than rounded off. I hate irons that have a round toe, like Cleveland or Callaway.

By the way, if you have never tried the Taylormade Tour Burner TP Driver I would highly recommend it. I'm using the 8.5 with Diamana 65 Stiff and it is absolutely prefect and LONG!

Quote Originally Posted by famousdavis View Post
    Thanks OP. I may get them simply becaue I love the way they look behind the ball. Very little offset, and the toe is slightly pointed rather than rounded off. I hate irons that have a round toe, like Cleveland or Callaway.

By the way, if you have never tried the Taylormade Tour Burner TP Driver I would highly recommend it. I'm using the 8.5 with Diamana 65 Stiff and it is absolutely prefect and LONG!
    Yeah TM has made some great drivers, I had the original burner. I am lovin the 983k ATM but give mr some time.
    I am with you on the rounded toe. Marry that with a thick topline and I can't stand loooking at them.
    I picked up some Hogan Apex plus the other day for $49. Took them to the range last wednesday. Man these feel great. If you can get over the offset in the short irons these are very good. The trajectory was great and the feel with the apex 3 shaft was as good as any i have hit. They are going for a trial run in the bag on Saturday.
    Cobra ZL 9.5 Stock stiff.Sonartec SS 3.5 14*Sonartec HB-001 21* Cally Diablo Forged 4-6 nippons, 2013 x forged 7-pw pxi 5.5 TM rac 50/6 gw. Fourteen MT-28 54 & 58 S400 Daddy Long Legs 35"TM Lethal

You can find much better for cheaper. I saw a set of Wilson forged Midsize go for $23 the other day. Thats a super price for a very good set of irons. They were a late 90s model made when Wilson were still top shelf and had guys like Langer and Vijay on their books.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Quote Originally Posted by oldplayer View Post
    Yeah TM has made some great drivers, I had the original burner. I am lovin the 983k ATM but give mr some time.
    I am with you on the rounded toe. Marry that with a thick topline and I can't stand loooking at them.
    I picked up some Hogan Apex plus the other day for $49. Took them to the range last wednesday. Man these feel great. If you can get over the offset in the short irons these are very good. The trajectory was great and the feel with the apex 3 shaft was as good as any i have hit. They are going for a trial run in the bag on Saturday.
    If you don't like the offset in the Hogan Apex Plus you should try the Hogan Apex FTX irons, with either the #3 or #4 Apex shafts. I hit them with the #4 and it wasn't stiff at all. Very good distance as well. The short irons in the FTX have very little offset. The Apex Edge Pro looks good too.

Two years ago I bought a 4-PW set at Golf Galaxy for around $96.00. They had some off-the-wall True Temper shaft that was probably a Taylor proprietary. I played two rounds with them and traded them on a used set of Cleveland TA-4's which were also smaller headed blade looking cast cavity backs. They were both POS sets for me. Then I traded the Clevelands on a full set of MP-14's which were much easier for me to hit, even with the DG S300 shafts. I would pass on those LT's because I don't see you getting a whole lot on Ebay for them considering you can buy a good set of Mizuno forged cavity backs for just a few dollars more. (Apology to Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone.)

Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Two years ago I bought a 4-PW set at Golf Galaxy for around $96.00. They had some off-the-wall True Temper shaft that was probably a Taylor proprietary. I played two rounds with them and traded them on a used set of Cleveland TA-4's which were also smaller headed blade looking cast cavity backs. They were both POS sets for me. Then I traded the Clevelands on a full set of MP-14's which were much easier for me to hit, even with the DG S300 shafts. I would pass on those LT's because I don't see you getting a whole lot on Ebay for them considering you can buy a good set of Mizuno forged cavity backs for just a few dollars more. (Apology to Clint Eastwood and Sergio Leone.)
    The ones I'm looking at have the Dynamic Gold S300 rather than the stock Taylormade shaft. They also had a set of Callaway X-14 (missing the 6 iron) for $79 and a set of X-14 pro series, 3-Gap, for $149. I've never liked any of the Cally X series clubs except for the X-12.

The ones I'm looking at have the Dynamic Gold S300 rather than the stock Taylormade shaft. They also had a set of Callaway X-14 (missing the 6 iron) for $79 and a set of X-14 pro series, 3-Gap, for $149. I've never liked any of the Cally X series clubs except for the X-12.
    The X-14s had too much offset for my liking and they came with a universal stock shaft that just didn't seem to suit me.
    Mizuno irons -- made by Hattori Hanzo, forged in the fires of Mt. Fujiyama.

Quote Originally Posted by SoonerBS View Post
    The X-14s had too much offset for my liking and they came with a universal stock shaft that just didn't seem to suit me.
    What about X-Forged? I picked up a set of 2009 X-Forged (6-PW), and X22 Tour (3-5) with Project X 5.5 flighted shafts, and just got a chance to play them today. I am very impressed with these; the PX 5.5 shafts felt great, were giving me about 5 to 10 yards more carry, didn't balloon and were less effected by the wind compared to TT Black Gold in my Adams. I have never owned any Cally clubs before due to the offset and clunky looks but these are not anything like those that came before. The cast X22 Tour long irons are not disturbing to look at (minimal offset, narrower sole than the normal X22's), and are more accurate with the steel PX shafts (at least for me) compared to graphite shafted hybrids of equal loft. One other thing, I checked the swing weight on this set and it was D2 on every club exactly where it specs at; my Mizuno's sets and these Cally's are exceptional in that regard, compared to other sets I have had.

Don't remember seeing any comments about the X-Forged series before, anyone else use these? Also, I understand that Dynamic Gold is a great shaft, I like them as well; but this is my first experience with Project X and they seem to be very accurate, slightly lighter, and a mid ball flight not effected much by wind.

Thoughts...

Quote Originally Posted by JonT View Post
    What about X-Forged? I picked up a set of 2009 X-Forged (6-PW), and X22 Tour (3-5) with Project X 5.5 flighted shafts, and just got a chance to play them today. I am very impressed with these; the PX 5.5 shafts felt great, were giving me about 5 to 10 yards more carry, didn't balloon and were less effected by the wind compared to TT Black Gold in my Adams. I have never owned any Cally clubs before due to the offset and clunky looks but these are not anything like those that came before. The cast X22 Tour long irons are not disturbing to look at (minimal offset, narrower sole than the normal X22's), and are more accurate with the steel PX shafts (at least for me) compared to graphite shafted hybrids of equal loft. One other thing, I checked the swing weight on this set and it was D2 on every club exactly where it specs at; my Mizuno's sets and these Cally's are exceptional in that regard, compared to other sets I have had.

Don't remember seeing any comments about the X-Forged series before, anyone else use these? Also, I understand that Dynamic Gold is a great shaft, I like them as well; but this is my first experience with Project X and they seem to be very accurate, slightly lighter, and a mid ball flight not effected much by wind.

Thoughts...

I like the Callaway forged irons. I was referring to the X14, X-16, etc in both the standard and tour versions.

I've demoed the 2009 X-Tours (forged) with Project X 6.0 and I thought they were great and appeared to be LONG! They have more of a clicky feel that is much different than, say, Mizuno or Titleist forged CB's. I love the way the new Razr X-Forged looks. It has less of a rounded toe than the 2009 X-Tour and sets up perfectly. I actually like the fact that it has a slightly thicker topline.

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn
    I was at Play it Again Sports today and I saw a set of Taylormade RAC LT 2004 irons, 3-PW, Dynamic Gold s300 in near new condition. The shaft label reads Taylormade but in small letters it reads Dynamic Gold S300. The grips are Taylormade and like new. It's selling for $149.

I have never really bothered to take a look at this particular model before today. I put the 7 iron down at address and it's one of the best looking irons I've seen. The profile and shape of the clubhead is exactly what I like to see in an iron.

So, has anyone hit these. I've heard some great things about them and I've also heard the bad. I've read some reviews and most of the people rave about them. Some say the trajectory is too high but that may have been with the stock rifle shaft.

Anyone ever try them? I could swear I recall NAH and Lorenzo sharing comments about them in the past.
    Put the mp-60s back in the bag you p@ssy. Don't blame them for a bad day with your irons. I've hit some of the most accurate shots ever with them. They don't hit to high, very mid flight players club, beautiful top line, narrow sole. I'll buy them from you Paypal today just pm me.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    Put the mp-60s back in the bag you p@ssy. Don't blame them for a bad day with your irons. I've hit some of the most accurate shots ever with them. They don't hit to high, very mid flight players club, beautiful top line, narrow sole. I'll buy them from you Paypal today just pm me.
    I already returned them. The R300 shaft was too whippy for me and shot the ball too high. I'm currently debating between the Ping i15 and Titleist 990; both superior clubs to MP-60 in terms of ball flight, distance, accuracy and prestige. Winner of "feel" goes to Mizuno, so you got that going for you, which is nice.

The Ping i15 with Z-Z65 shafts are a pleasant surprise. They feel great, have a compact profile and are as long as any I've tried. Great ball flight to boot. Still, nothing feels more solid and accurate as the Titleist 990 irons. The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that the PW flies about 105-110 and the 9 iron 125 at the most. They have weak lofts with the PW at 49 degrees. In a way it's preferable because I don't have to carry a gap wedge in the bag. 49 degrees to 56 degrees is a decent gap with no need of anything in between.

Played yesterday with a guy in his 60's who was playing the Cleveland 270 Driver with that gold Miyazaki Reg shaft. He had a 12 degree model and was absolutely killing it. He took a nice smooth swing with it and it flew forever. It was 1 inch longer than my driver.

However, I do have a set of like new Cobra S2 Forged irons if anyone is interested. Nippon Tour shafts. Original Grips. 3-Gap wedge. A steal at $350.

I already returned them. The R300 shaft was too whippy for me and shot the ball too high. I'm currently debating between the Ping i15 and Titleist 990; both superior clubs to MP-60 in terms of ball flight, distance, accuracy and prestige. Winner of "feel" goes to Mizuno, so you got that going for you, which is nice.

The Ping i15 with Z-Z65 shafts are a pleasant surprise. They feel great, have a compact profile and are as long as any I've tried. Great ball flight to boot. Still, nothing feels more solid and accurate as the Titleist 990 irons. The only thing I don't like about them is the fact that the PW flies about 105-110 and the 9 iron 125 at the most. They have weak lofts with the PW at 49 degrees. In a way it's preferable because I don't have to carry a gap wedge in the bag. 49 degrees to 56 degrees is a decent gap with no need of anything in between.

Played yesterday with a guy in his 60's who was playing the Cleveland 270 Driver with that gold Miyazaki Reg shaft. He had a 12 degree model and was absolutely killing it. He took a nice smooth swing with it and it flew forever. It was 1 inch longer than my driver.

However, I do have a set of like new Cobra S2 Forged irons if anyone is interested. Nippon Tour shafts. Original Grips. 3-Gap wedge. A steal at $350.
    I had the i15's before upgrading to the 69's. I also had the i10's and I liked the i10's alot. Great look at address, thin topline, good ball flight and more forgiving than I thought they would be. The i15's looked more chunky to me and didnt have the same feel. I didnt like the look of them but tried them because I liked the i10's. I think the i10 is a better club. Have you hit the i10?

Quote Originally Posted by Maggoo View Post
    I had the i15's before upgrading to the 69's. I also had the i10's and I liked the i10's alot. Great look at address, thin topline, good ball flight and more forgiving than I thought they would be. The i15's looked more chunky to me and didnt have the same feel. I didnt like the look of them but tried them because I liked the i10's. I think the i10 is a better club. Have you hit the i10?
    I tried the i10 with the AWT Stiff shaft and I didn't like the feel of it. I thought the profile of the i10 was better than the i15 because it had less offset in the short irons. In fact, I think the i10 has less offset than the S59. The one thing I can't stand with any of the Ping irons in the last 10 years is the insert in the cavity of the club. The worst was the i2 with the gold and black oval insert. I thought that club would have been great looking with no insert at all. Then again, I'm not really the golfer to whom they are marketing.

I must say that I have to retract what I said about shafts the other day, and concede that you may have been correct. I did think that regular shafts were better for most players, but after hitting balls today with my new second hand clubs (old DCI knockoffs) I have to have a re-think. My new sticks have S400 shafts in them which from my limited knowledge is a slighty heavier S300 i.e. when they are frequency matching them they throw the heavier shafts in the S400 pile but they essentially play to the same flex as S300s. I only hit the 7 iron but it didn't feel boardy or overly stiff at all. Even on less than flushed shots it felt like it loaded more than enough. It also gave me a plenty of height without ballooning. Overall from first impressions I couldn't be more optimistic about these sticks. Maybe you guys have been right all along and the Powerbilts are hacker shovels, but I'll need a bit more time before making that statement, as we all know there is a honeymoo period fror all new clubs so you can't pass judgement til you've played at least 10 rounds with them.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

Thread Information