|   |   |   |   |   |   |   | 

Thread: YES Sophia

Mystic Hills, Chesapeake Run, Swan Lake, Blackthorn

YES Sophia

I will be the proud owner of a Sophia, as it's been delivered, and barring not getting lost in the mail it should be here in a few days.
    It looks like a modern version of the 8802. Seems moobs played this putter, and I think Furyk also. Anyone have any experience with this putter?
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

Have not held one yet but by the photos it does appear to be very 8802-like. I went through about 10 years of very good putting with a Titleist putter that looks exactly like that Yes except that the Titleist is all heavy chrome and has a leather grip with flat top surface. It is the only putter I ever bought new. Around 1985 at the Pro Shop at the Homestead in Virginia. I finally retired it when the face developed two many pits to make contact reliable.

Never used it but I've heard more than once it's one of the best gate putters out there.
    GR lives...

I have spent the last week testing putters out, spent hours in various golf shops hitting Cameron's, Bettinardi, Ping and some Yes putters. I thing it was The Ann and The Tracy that I hit with the C Grove. The Cameron's were not for me and out of the brands I tried, I liked them the least. I really liked a Bettinardi putter I tried, it was an older model that felt and sounded great but it had a chip on the top line and I just couldn't ignore it when I putted. It was the only one the had. The Tracy was good but I went with the ping (going to make FD's day) I got a Ping Anser 5 milled 33 inch black dot. The Tracy was just as good in sound and feel but the Ping felt really comfortable at setup and allowed me to get right over the ball. I felt really confident putting with the ping.
    Let me know what you think of the Sofia 12.

The Sophia is a winner. I sunk a couple 15-20 footers, and left most putts close. Much easier to setup then I thought, as it feels so natural to putt with. Greens are somewhat slow still, so I had to pop them a bit, straight to the hole they go. I was expecting to leave putts to the right, not happening as the weighting is perfect.
    Tm R9 420cc 9.5 Motore Tm R9 3 wood rip phenom, Titleist 909h 19* 24* voodoo, Scratch EZ-1 ds i80,steelfiber 3 or 4. 5-9 KBS, ds 47* jlm, pdg 53* ds 60* Odyssey Black 2 ball tour blade 33.5" Lethal

The Sophia is a winner. I sunk a couple 15-20 footers, and left most putts close. Much easier to setup then I thought, as it feels so natural to putt with. Greens are somewhat slow still, so I had to pop them a bit, straight to the hole they go. I was expecting to leave putts to the right, not happening as the weighting is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by 12sandwich View Post
    Great news, sounds like a good buy. Will be good to see how it performs on a faster green as well for you. How is the feel off the face?

Quote Originally Posted by Maggoo View Post
    Great news, sounds like a good buy. Will be good to see how it performs on a faster green as well for you. How is the feel off the face?
    I was able to play 18 today, still slow greens though, it's, I would say quite soft off the face, but it's redeeming quality seems to be, really good distance control.

I am sorry I have never tried that before...

It looks like an 8802 style putter--one of the classic shapes. I had a Lynx Ten that was that shape back in the 1970s. Without the signature Yes! grooves, of course.

I like Yes! putters, or I would, at least, if I liked any putters.

I'm playing a Victoria II mallet. There's never been a good putter in history to my knowledge, and to be honest, I can't imagine what it might look like if it existed. But the Yes! VickyII seems to be as good as anything I've tried so far in the past fifty years or so.

Let's see how I feel about it next month. At one point last summer, I was reduced to a Bobby Jones Calamity Jane replica.

I didnt realise Lynx have bee. around that long. I thought they started in the 80s.
    The views expressed by Not a Hacker are not meant to be understood by you primitive screw heads. Don't take it personally, just sit back and enjoy the writings of your better.

I used it enough to know, its not the honeymoon. This putter has increased my putts made well outside my normal distances. It's pretty cool to walk up to 6-8 eight footers and just sink them. Longer putts are barely missed. I'm playing a course with some usually fast greens today, a Pd Dye course Mystic Hills, so this will be the true test.

Quote Originally Posted by Not a hacker View Post
    I didnt realise Lynx have bee. around that long. I thought they started in the 80s.

Actually, NAH, Lynx was in decline when it made its most (competitively, not commercially) successful club, the Parallax, which actually won on tour with Fred Couples. It was at its peak before TaylorMade and Callaway existed in the 1970s. In fact, it was nearly as big as Ping back then. They sort of came up together; the founder, John Riley, started out with Karsten Solheim and then left to start Lynx.

The classic Lynx club of that era was the Master, which was an elegant concave back blade with the head of the cat cast in the middle of the channel. I'm sure you could Google an image of it.

http://images.bidorbuy.co.za/user_im...9_IMG_6889.JPG

Its game improvement club was the original Predator, which was a low profile blade with a brass backweight that had the cat etched on it.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/LYNX-PREDATOR...K!D6nQ~~_3.JPG

Lynx was also known for it's huge, elegant staff bags in that era, which were then a prized item of conspicuous consumption.
    Last edited by NiftyNiblick; 03-17-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: clarification

Thread Information